Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,147,917 members, 7,799,115 topics. Date: Tuesday, 16 April 2024 at 03:23 PM

Iyalode Of Yorubaland To Establish Vocational Private University - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Iyalode Of Yorubaland To Establish Vocational Private University (9074 Views)

FG To Establish JAMB E-testing Centres In 774 LGAs / 6 Reasons You Shouldn’t Attend A Private University / Best Private University In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Iyalode Of Yorubaland To Establish Vocational Private University by Ayekotoo(m): 9:12am On Oct 14, 2013
The school would encourage young people to seek other opportunities away from white collar jobs.
The Iyalode of Yorubaland, Alaba Lawson, has disclosed her plan to establish a vocational private university in Nigeria, aimed at encouraging young people to seek other opportunities away from white collar jobs. Ms Alaba Lawson, a renowned educationist, made the disclosure at the occasion of the launch of Alaba Lawson Group of Schools and ICT Centre in Abeokuta, Ogun State.

She stated that, about ten years ago, she had acquired a vast piece of land towards the project and was, now, only trying to ensure that all academic requirements and due process are met before work commences.
She also said that she was in talks with countries like Canada, which operate similar programmes.
She expressed optimism that the vocational.university would see the light of day and be successful. ”I am of the conviction that the time is now ripe,” she said.

On the ICT centre, she said it was designed to introduce the young people to different fields in Information Technology and noted that technological advancement, today, was growing at the speed of light. ”Who would ever think that it would be possible to stand here and connect anywhere in the world in seconds.
A few years ago who could have imagined that you could operate devices just by touching their surfaces. The world has now become a global village and we now have all kinds of information at our finger prints,” she said.
“However, the gateway to acquiring all these is through the medium of education. Young children today need to be introduced to the world of information technology at a very early age.
Pre-teen students have been known to develop applications that are now popular worldwide.”

http://premiumtimesng.com/news/146564-yoruba-chief-to-establish-vocational-private-university.html

3 Likes

Re: Iyalode Of Yorubaland To Establish Vocational Private University by Ayekotoo(m): 9:14am On Oct 14, 2013
Good development
Re: Iyalode Of Yorubaland To Establish Vocational Private University by Okijajuju1(m): 9:28am On Oct 14, 2013
OKAY!!!
Re: Iyalode Of Yorubaland To Establish Vocational Private University by Ideyontop: 9:28am On Oct 14, 2013
good
Re: Iyalode Of Yorubaland To Establish Vocational Private University by funnyx(m): 9:29am On Oct 14, 2013
This is a great development, I hope it sees the light of the day as it will improve Nigeria's vocational skills. At the moment Nigeria lacks skilled tradesmen especially, mechanics, electricians, builders, etc

1 Like

Re: Iyalode Of Yorubaland To Establish Vocational Private University by iknopro(m): 9:31am On Oct 14, 2013
Good for her.
Re: Iyalode Of Yorubaland To Establish Vocational Private University by idu1(m): 9:31am On Oct 14, 2013
welcome development!!!
Re: Iyalode Of Yorubaland To Establish Vocational Private University by Nobody: 9:32am On Oct 14, 2013
I smell money laundery...
Re: Iyalode Of Yorubaland To Establish Vocational Private University by omoodeogere(m): 9:32am On Oct 14, 2013
oya now
Re: Iyalode Of Yorubaland To Establish Vocational Private University by Pancho01(m): 9:32am On Oct 14, 2013
Bt Iyalode try and regulate d fees so dat it can b a bit affordable.

1 Like

Re: Iyalode Of Yorubaland To Establish Vocational Private University by ezedolar: 9:33am On Oct 14, 2013
Na today!
Re: Iyalode Of Yorubaland To Establish Vocational Private University by Akshow: 9:35am On Oct 14, 2013
GustavoFring: I smell money laundery...
carry ur smelly nose go front embitter Jew. nice development.

10 Likes

Re: Iyalode Of Yorubaland To Establish Vocational Private University by lifestyle1(m): 9:35am On Oct 14, 2013
Good news cool
Re: Iyalode Of Yorubaland To Establish Vocational Private University by Bobby4090: 9:35am On Oct 14, 2013
And what will the graduate with? B.sc or Diploma in motor mechanics? i laff
Re: Iyalode Of Yorubaland To Establish Vocational Private University by heymaykher(m): 9:36am On Oct 14, 2013
good development that will benefit only the rich...
Re: Iyalode Of Yorubaland To Establish Vocational Private University by MAYOWAAK: 9:36am On Oct 14, 2013
Naija sha. Once somebody stumbles on a profitable business, everybody rushes in until there is a glut. Prosperity pentecostal pastors were the first to discover that owning a private university could make your personal wealth less tithe-dependent. Politicians and retired Generals moved in to spoil the private university market for them. Now aspiring militants, incumbent militants, retired militants, and their Godfathers have stumbled on the private university jackpot. Asari Dokubo University. Edwin Clark University. Soon, Government Tompolo will start his own University. And once Boko Haram discovers that private universities are the new gold mine in Nigeria, they'll start fighting to upgrade some madrassas to private universities. They will find a way to say boko is now halal as money is never haram. Anyway sha, I need wise counsel: do I apply for Vice Chancellor, Asari Dokubo University, Edwin Clark University, or wait for Tompolo University? The inevitable Tompolo University of the future has more maritime security oyel revenue potential than the others?-Pius Adesanmi

1 Like

Re: Iyalode Of Yorubaland To Establish Vocational Private University by lifestyle1(m): 9:37am On Oct 14, 2013
Bobby4090: And what will the graduate with? B.sc or Diploma in motor mechanics? i laff

Does that really matter ?

I think what matters is getting the job done
. angry
Re: Iyalode Of Yorubaland To Establish Vocational Private University by MAYOWAAK: 9:39am On Oct 14, 2013
STILL ON MATTER OF PROLIFERATION OF UNIVERSITIES IN NAIJA!

Last week, the news broke out that Ex-Militant and self serving freedom fighter, Mujahid Dokubo Asari has opened a private University in Benin Republic, his adopted country after renouncing his Nigerian citizenship and throwing away his green passport.

A while ago, I read with one eye, that as part of his legacy and gift to humanity, Clarkodemus has concluded plans to float Edwin Clark University of Science and Technology, billed to take off in January 2014.

Recall that as part of his Transformation Agenda, President Goodluck Jonathan established 7 new universities with a view of having at least one Federal university in each of the 36 states of the federation.

State governors are not left out in the educational transformation of their political terra ferma as educationally less developed states of Yobe, Jigawa, Kebbi, Zamfara, et al who hitherto have been unable to fill up their quotas in federal universities within their catchment areas, have gone ahead to establish state owned universities.

Now the big question!

What do you think is the missing link in Nigerian university education given the near comatose state of varsity education occasioned by incessant ASUU strike, industrial strife, decaying infrastructures and brain drain inter alia?

Professor Pius Adesanmi speaks for me as he chronicles the spirit behind the university idea in Nigeria! Hear him!

''We have lost the university idea. A state governor wakes up, builds a gate in front of a secondary school in his village, adds a motto in Latin, and a new state university is born.

Somebody lands in Aso Rock and a university is born in his village the following day.

Somebody collects enormous tithes, buys a private jet, and the next emblem of his arrival in the crème de la crème of prosperity Pentecostal pastors is to start a university.

A sitting Senate President finds sufficient time to tuck in the construction of his own private university.

These things can happen only in a country where the university idea is dead.''

And that's just the way it is! As the nation competes in a race with herself to be the country with the highest number of universities in the universe! Come to think of it, what is the quality of graduates churned out from these glorified secondary schools littering the geopolitical landscape? Your guess is as good as mine, because for answer, all I have to do is look in the direction of a relative of mine whose Father is well heeled to afford a tuition fee of over N1 million per session for his ward who is studying Medicine in one of the mushroom private university and I cannot give her my dog to treat!

Something has to give, we cannot continue like this! The emphasis should shift from QUANTITY to QUALITY pronto! Something just have to give for we cannot the way we are progressing in error!-Soni Akoji

6 Likes

Re: Iyalode Of Yorubaland To Establish Vocational Private University by lifestyle1(m): 9:40am On Oct 14, 2013
heymaykher: good development that will benefit only the rich...

I don't think so bro...
Re: Iyalode Of Yorubaland To Establish Vocational Private University by dridowu: 9:41am On Oct 14, 2013
The name Alaba lawson remind of Ebenezer Obey.
Re: Iyalode Of Yorubaland To Establish Vocational Private University by wellmax(m): 9:42am On Oct 14, 2013
Good development. We need to train in vocations, the craze for white collar has to be corrected.
Re: Iyalode Of Yorubaland To Establish Vocational Private University by obayaya(m): 9:44am On Oct 14, 2013
that woman's face sha!!!!
Re: Iyalode Of Yorubaland To Establish Vocational Private University by Nobody: 9:48am On Oct 14, 2013
SW and progress sha!

3 Likes

Re: Iyalode Of Yorubaland To Establish Vocational Private University by ChemicalMallam(m): 9:48am On Oct 14, 2013
Booked
Re: Iyalode Of Yorubaland To Establish Vocational Private University by Tuntheycr7: 9:52am On Oct 14, 2013
GustavoFring: I smell money laundery...
And ya post smells poo...
Bigots tribalist like u.
Wen wud u start to apprici8 little tinz?
And later u wud go and take form 4dat skul. Yeye

1 Like

Re: Iyalode Of Yorubaland To Establish Vocational Private University by Nobody: 9:55am On Oct 14, 2013
my ex proprietress...finally u achieved this dream lips 2000/2001
Re: Iyalode Of Yorubaland To Establish Vocational Private University by Ademat7(m): 10:01am On Oct 14, 2013
Vocational training is synonymous to empowerment Program whr doctors r advised to accept offer of being a barber or tk okada as planB,hv said dis amidst forum dat Govt can't prov job 4 all citizen but can only prov enabling environment whr entrepreneurs can thrive
Re: Iyalode Of Yorubaland To Establish Vocational Private University by Ademat7(m): 10:08am On Oct 14, 2013
wellmax: Good development. We need to train in vocations, the craze for white collar has to be corrected.
u dnt get it cos ur coment is due to d fact dat numba of companies r not much,b4 I used to tink lyk dis but nw i understand better,look up white and brown collar job on google to educate urself.evry1 can't b in d bush some has to b in office its called division of labour each one is dependent on each other
Re: Iyalode Of Yorubaland To Establish Vocational Private University by debayun(m): 10:25am On Oct 14, 2013
See my proprietress wow dis woman sha well its gonna b a case of started 4rm d bottom nw nah university wish I was young enough to go dere bt nah only ur primary and secondary I go sha. Anyhw more grease to ur elbow
Re: Iyalode Of Yorubaland To Establish Vocational Private University by lukaino(m): 10:31am On Oct 14, 2013
This move is a more practical way of tackling unemployment in Nigeria. we don't need to keep churning out white collar professionals alone to the detriment of the real sector of our economy, what we need is to ensure that most Nigerians acquire vocational skills which will make them self sufficient thus reducing the clamor for the few existent or non- existent white collar jobs. It is instructive to know that those who have vocational skills make more money even outside the country than their white collar counterparts.
Lets see more of such Universities.

1 Like

Re: Iyalode Of Yorubaland To Establish Vocational Private University by oladapoa1(m): 10:45am On Oct 14, 2013
Iyalode thats a good idea. Am quite sure it will be a good history for the GEJ led admistration. Am giving GEJ another 4years ahead by 2015... I can nw critisize him after 9years (by then we can atleast be sure whether he is a looter or leader.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Masters Without NYSC Discharge Certificate Possible? / Eiye Cult Member Butchered At Ekiti State University (graphics Pictures) / 2015 MUSTE Undergraduate Scholarships For Nigerian Students

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.