Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,455 members, 7,801,117 topics. Date: Thursday, 18 April 2024 at 11:10 AM

Surgery Done With a 'rechargeable lamp' In Nigeria... - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Surgery Done With a 'rechargeable lamp' In Nigeria... (25705 Views)

Pls!!how Much Is Needed To Get A Fibroid Surgery Done / Nigerian Girl Dies In Thailand After Buttock Surgery Fails / Cosmetic [Plastic] Surgery is So Bad? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Surgery Done With a 'rechargeable lamp' In Nigeria... by kolidave: 5:05pm On Oct 14, 2013
I stumbled across this photo today and I was shocked disgraced & embarrassed. What is the health sector of this country turning into. Now I know why people travel abroad to have their medical checkups and treatments..... By looking at the photo,can't imagine what would have happened if there was a casualty during the surgery leading to the loss of life and once again PHCN & GOVERNMENT will be in for it ..... Plz scroll down for the photo.

www.nairaland.com/attachments/1359016_poor_naijaaaa_jpg4a8f22867c8a438081ee5b4f4487a05a
Re: Surgery Done With a 'rechargeable lamp' In Nigeria... by kolidave: 5:07pm On Oct 14, 2013
Chai
Re: Surgery Done With a 'rechargeable lamp' In Nigeria... by Nobody: 5:09pm On Oct 14, 2013
No Pishure na Oga
Re: Surgery Done With a 'rechargeable lamp' In Nigeria... by kolidave: 5:11pm On Oct 14, 2013
koonbey: No Pishure na Oga
I dey try post am e no gree oooo
Re: Surgery Done With a 'rechargeable lamp' In Nigeria... by kolidave: 5:17pm On Oct 14, 2013

Re: Surgery Done With a 'rechargeable lamp' In Nigeria... by Nobody: 5:26pm On Oct 14, 2013
"speechless"

1 Like

Re: Surgery Done With a 'rechargeable lamp' In Nigeria... by oluboyo04(m): 5:43pm On Oct 14, 2013
nawa o! Lamp? fp pls

2 Likes

Re: Surgery Done With a 'rechargeable lamp' In Nigeria... by clip: 5:53pm On Oct 14, 2013
That is what the life of the person worth to the country. What a country

1 Like

Re: Surgery Done With a 'rechargeable lamp' In Nigeria... by donsmall94(m): 5:53pm On Oct 14, 2013
lol
Re: Surgery Done With a 'rechargeable lamp' In Nigeria... by Lawconfessor(f): 6:09pm On Oct 14, 2013
It is funny as it is not funny.

Playing "try ur luck" game wif a person's life.
Seems dey cudn't acknowledge a simple FACT dt dis "LIFE" is Precious n delicate, n shud be handled wif utmost CAREFULNESS.

Well, we all believe n rely on GOD alone for survival nt des bunch of quack *******
Re: Surgery Done With a 'rechargeable lamp' In Nigeria... by kolidave: 6:37pm On Oct 14, 2013
Law-confessor:
It is funny as it is not funny.

Playing "try ur luck" game wif a person's life.
Seems dey cudn't acknowledge a simple FACT dt dis "LIFE" is Precious n delicate, n shud be handled wif utmost CAREFULNESS.

Well, we all believe n rely on GOD alone for survival nt des bunch of quack *******
abi oooo. Na God dey kuku save person
Re: Surgery Done With a 'rechargeable lamp' In Nigeria... by oyinmama(f): 10:18pm On Oct 14, 2013
It isn't a new occurrence. Back in 2003, I remember using a phone torch to carry on with a Caesarian section at Adeoyo Hospital in Ibadan. PHCN had done its worst during surgery, main generator and back-up had both broken down. We couldn't stop, so we made do with the torch of those small Nokia phones back then to finish. There were also instances when I had to set up intravenous fluid infusion for babies via the scalp using lantern light held up by colleagues.......

4 Likes

Re: Surgery Done With a 'rechargeable lamp' In Nigeria... by kolidave: 12:12am On Oct 15, 2013
oyinmama: It isn't a new occurrence. Back in 2003, I remember using a phone torch to carry on with a Caesarian section at Adeoyo Hospital in Ibadan. PHCN had done its worst during surgery, main generator and back-up had both broken down. We couldn't stop, so we made do with the torch of those small Nokia phones back then to finish. There were also instances when I had to set up intravenous fluid infusion for babies via the scalp using lantern light held up by colleagues.......
woww how was that possible... Was it safe? Wasn't there a way u could stabilize d patient and continue when There's proper electricity... those where huge risk....
Re: Surgery Done With a 'rechargeable lamp' In Nigeria... by fr3do(m): 12:31am On Oct 15, 2013
So no inverter?
Some hospitals eh!

1 Like

Re: Surgery Done With a 'rechargeable lamp' In Nigeria... by jigboke: 12:59am On Oct 15, 2013
Why should you be ashamed of urself . Remember that, the problem is from our leaders .the money meant to be used and equip the hosp are embezzled by them.Doctors are really doing their best . This is one of the reasons that made me to like this ongoing strike .

1 Like

Re: Surgery Done With a 'rechargeable lamp' In Nigeria... by kolidave: 1:35am On Oct 15, 2013
jigboke: Why should you be ashamed of urself . Remember that, the problem is from our leaders .the money meant to be used and equip the hosp are embezzled by them.Doctors are really doing their best . This is one of the reasons that made me to like this ongoing strike .
I'm embarrased cos what dey did is a disgrace to the country,its just so absurd... If dey knew they didn't satisfy all d criterias to do a surgery why do it with a lamp and risk the life of a patient. I know the government are to be blamed but this doctors have a little blame too
Re: Surgery Done With a 'rechargeable lamp' In Nigeria... by Nobody: 6:44am On Oct 15, 2013
These Doctors couldn't. Have started out with a lamp: power outage must have led to this horrible scene. The lamp must have been used to bridge the interface between the power cut and generator back-up. This is the real situation: shame on our leaders. And this is a federal Teaching Hospital. but when they are on strike, nobody understands the details.

5 Likes

Re: Surgery Done With a 'rechargeable lamp' In Nigeria... by arctoni: 8:01am On Oct 15, 2013
oyinmama: It isn't a new occurrence. Back in 2003, I remember using a phone torch to carry on with a Caesarian section at Adeoyo Hospital in Ibadan. PHCN had done its worst during surgery, main generator and back-up had both broken down. We couldn't stop, so we made do with the torch of those small Nokia phones back then to finish. There were also instances when I had to set up intravenous fluid infusion for babies via the scalp using lantern light held up by colleagues.......
And ar we supos 2 clap 4 u or wat.......xo u mean dr s notin new se......u ar toyin wit pple's lif
Re: Surgery Done With a 'rechargeable lamp' In Nigeria... by Nobody: 8:17am On Oct 15, 2013
arctoni:
And ar we supos 2 clap 4 u or wat.......xo u mean dr s notin new se......u ar toyin wit pple's lif
. Dats nt wot he meant. Its jst dat it's nt suprisn 2hm since it has apund b4.besides pple expect dat kind of problem in 9ja dats y day fly abroad 4treatment.

10 Likes

Re: Surgery Done With a 'rechargeable lamp' In Nigeria... by deols(f): 10:18am On Oct 15, 2013
seriously??

no wayyyyy

Ordinary clinical examinations require a good light source.

This is a disgrace!!!

The surgeons even need good air to function well.

drippling sweats etc inside pt body??

1 Like

Re: Surgery Done With a 'rechargeable lamp' In Nigeria... by dominique(f): 12:29pm On Oct 15, 2013
arctoni:

No, you're supposed to enroll in a night school and learn how to write in simple English.
Someone is sharing her experience on the challenges faced by doctors in this country and this what you can come up with? Smh for you.

10 Likes

Re: Surgery Done With a 'rechargeable lamp' In Nigeria... by deols(f): 12:56pm On Oct 15, 2013
amateur: These Doctors couldn't. Have started out with a lamp: power outage must have led to this horrible scene. The lamp must have been used to bridge the interface between the power cut and generator back-up. This is the real situation: shame on our leaders. And this is a federal Teaching Hospital. Am not a Doctor but when they are on strike, nobody understands the details.

When Dr.s ask for these things, the public even ridicule them forgetting that the people who suffer the repercussion are the masses.

Kudos to people who carry out successful surgeries under these conditions.

I can't imagine working in this condition. haba!! It is the reality tjough..too bad. I am angry sef(lojo odun!!)
Re: Surgery Done With a 'rechargeable lamp' In Nigeria... by oyinmama(f): 1:15pm On Oct 15, 2013
kolidave: woww how was that possible... Was it safe? Wasn't there a way u could stabilize d patient and continue when There's proper electricity... those where huge risk....
Like I said, the surgery had started before lights went off, the generators were also previously working. Not certain how you would want to stabilize a woman undergoing a Caesarian section, baby out already and continue later .....

5 Likes

Re: Surgery Done With a 'rechargeable lamp' In Nigeria... by oyinmama(f): 1:17pm On Oct 15, 2013
arctoni:
Unfortunately, I can barely read what you have posted

13 Likes

Re: Surgery Done With a 'rechargeable lamp' In Nigeria... by Nobody: 1:40pm On Oct 15, 2013
Experienced it during NYSC days, it was really awkward to deliver babies with torch lights but the midwives I worked with are accustomed to it. They strap the phone or torch on their hair net just like a palmwine taper will do and they are good to go.
Imagine if it falls in with blood splashing all over the place and the subsequent injury to the patients.
Re: Surgery Done With a 'rechargeable lamp' In Nigeria... by naptu2: 2:05pm On Oct 15, 2013
deols:

When Dr.s ask for these things, the public even ridicule them forgetting that the people who suffer the repercussion are the masses.

Kudos to people who carry out successful surgeries under these conditions.

I can't imagine working in this condition. haba!! It is the reality tjough..too bad. I am angry sef(lojo odun!!)

This has been the reality for a long time, but it's gradually changing. The General Hospital Marina Lagos and the Island Maternity are now hooked to an Independent Power Plant and are no more on the national grid. There are now inverters that act as back up when public power fails.

I lost a friend to a similar circumstance in the early 2000s cry

1 Like

Re: Surgery Done With a 'rechargeable lamp' In Nigeria... by Lagusta(m): 5:59pm On Oct 15, 2013
Sorry to say, but this has also happened to me, only that it was so bad none of the doctors, not even the consultant surgeon, had a torch, while power was withheld and no backup generator.....
I had to Bring out my phone, in the middle of the procedure!!!!

and for those hurling abuses at doctors, please it's not our fault, talk to the government to step up the health sector, or have they forgotten that we are still leading in maternal and child mortality!!!!!!

6 Likes

Re: Surgery Done With a 'rechargeable lamp' In Nigeria... by deols(f): 9:55pm On Oct 15, 2013
naptu2:

This has been the reality for a long time, but it's gradually changing. The General Hospital Marina Lagos and the Island Maternity are now hooked to an Independent Power Plant and are no more on the national grid. There are now inverters that act as back up when public power fails.

I lost a friend to a similar circumstance in the early 2000s cry

Okay..

I hope they'll keep it up and extend it to other hospitals.

They need to also do something about the mushroom private hospitals. My relative almost died in one before being moved to UCH, Ibadan.
Re: Surgery Done With a 'rechargeable lamp' In Nigeria... by Lagusta(m): 10:28pm On Oct 15, 2013
deols:

Okay..

I hope they'll keep it up and extend it to other hospitals.

They need to also do something about the mushroom private hospitals. My relative almost died in one before being moved to UCH, Ibadan.

concerning private hospitals....

The NMA supposed to have a regular check on private hospitals, they must all be well equipped and up to standard!!! Not just paying annual dues....

a private hospital must have an oxygen-giving apparatus, a resuscitation kit and essential drugs..... also a standard theatre and side-lab for basic tests e.g pcv, RBS....

If these little things are in place, then we are heading somewhere!!!!
Re: Surgery Done With a 'rechargeable lamp' In Nigeria... by Nobody: 11:22pm On Oct 15, 2013
Lagusta:

concerning private hospitals....

The NMA supposed to have a regular check on private hospitals, they must all be well equipped and up to standard!!! Not just paying annual dues....

a private hospital must have an oxygen-giving apparatus, a resuscitation kit and essential drugs..... also a standard theatre and side-lab for basic tests e.g pcv, RBS....

If these little things are in place, then we are heading somewhere!!!!

bro long time, and back to topic most private hospitals need to be shut down, they are now source of quick wealth, poor or non existent essential equipments.

1 Like

Re: Surgery Done With a 'rechargeable lamp' In Nigeria... by Sanguine(f): 1:51am On Oct 16, 2013
Now does anyone wonder why the people in the medical field are called medical practitioners
That's simply because they are still practicising ...with human lives, sadly! Or how else could anyone explain this?!

1 Like

Re: Surgery Done With a 'rechargeable lamp' In Nigeria... by Lagusta(m): 6:49am On Oct 16, 2013
Sanguine: Now does anyone wonder why the people in the medical field are called medical practitioners
That's simply because they are still practicising ...with human lives, sadly! Or how else could anyone explain this?!

The medical field is a practice my dear, it's not a theorem,

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Woman Dies 15 Hours After Giving Birth To Quintuplets In Asaba / RSS Officers Rush Woman In Labour To Hospital In Ketu (photos) / Three COVID-19 Patients Die In Sokoto

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.