Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,431 members, 7,808,543 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 01:15 PM

Born Again Vs Born Of Water And Spirit - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Born Again Vs Born Of Water And Spirit (1856 Views)

How Can One Identify A True Born Again Christian? / Preacher Attempts To Walk On Water And Drowns. / What Is The Difference Between Our Soul,mind And Spirit (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Born Again Vs Born Of Water And Spirit by okeyxyz(m): 6:37pm On Oct 14, 2013
People usually go about thinking that being a Born-Again christian fulfills all the requirements of salvation, but this is a huge misunderstanding and actually being born again is just the starting point, does not guarantee the benefits of christianity. So let's take it from the original scriptures from which this terminology was taken.

Jesus answered and said to him, “Truly, truly, I say to you, unless one is born again he cannot see the kingdom of God.”(John 3:3)

So what does it mean to be born again? Being born-again does not mean turning from sin, it does not mean walking in righteousness. Unbelievable!!, right?? Being born again simply means: Understanding the gospel you hear, that is all. You need to have an understanding of the message that is preached, then you have an idea/vision of what the kingdom of God is about or where the journey to the kingdom of God starts. Being born again is the believing part of Christianity, the part where you acquire the conscience of right and wrong according to the Christ and not according to the law. In other words, Acquiring the new Mindset and reinterpreting the meaning of sin and righteousness. This is the part where you know that you have been liberated from sin(The Law) and need no more to fear the things that you used to fear because they were defined as sin by the Law and hence banned you from doing them. This is the point where your guilty conscience according to the Law is taken away. Thus this is what makes you a christian.

Jesus answered, “Truly, truly, I say to you, unless one is born of water and the Spirit he cannot enter into the kingdom of God(John 3:5)

Now this is the Faith part of christianity, the operations and vitality of christian living. It is no longer about understanding right and wrong according to christ but the doing of that which you now understand as a christian(Born again). Being born of Water is symbolic for speaking the words of this new understanding that you have, and being born of the spirit is symbolic for acting according to this new understanding. In other words: to speak and to do... Being born of the spirit is not about receiving the gifts of the spirit; ie: speaking in tongues, prophesy, miracles, etc. Spirit here means behaviour/action, not that some spiritual entity descends upon you and influencing/controlling what you see/hear/do/etc. Born of the spirit is your own personal and deliberate effort to act according to the new understanding and words you have received. This action/behavioural part is what Paul refers to when he declares:

For I am not ashamed of the gospel, for it is the power of God for salvation to everyone who believes, to the Jew first and also to the Greek(Romans 1:16).

Ie: It is no longer about what you know but rather about what you practice that leads to manifestations of the extra-ordinary/supernatural/salvation. He also encourages the church to move to this level of christian living when he encourages them to: work out their salvation with fear and trembling...(Philippians 2:12 ). This is the aspect that bears fruits in terms of building good(note: not as the world defines good) character and developing supernatural gifts.

So while the first requirement(born again) allows you to see(understand) the kingdom of God, the later requirement(born of water and the spirit) actually enables you to enter(profit from, bear fruits) into the kingdom of God.

Oya, make una clap for me nah. cool
Re: Born Again Vs Born Of Water And Spirit by Alwaystrue(f): 7:22pm On Oct 14, 2013
Galatians 3:8-9
8 And the scripture, foreseeing that God would justify the heathen through faith, PREACHED before the GOSPEL unto ABRAHAM, saying, In thee shall all nations be blessed.
9 So then they which be of faith are blessed with faithful Abraham

Hebrews 4:2
For UNTO US was the GOSPEL preached, AS WELL AS UNTO THEM: but the WORD PREACHED DID NOT PROFIT THEM, NOT BEING MIXED WITH FAITH IN THEM THAT HEARD IT.

BORN AGAIN
John 3:3
3 Jesus answered and said unto him, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born again, he cannot SEE the kingdom of God.

Acts 16:31
And they said, “Believe in the Lord Jesus, and you will be saved, you and your household

Titus 2:11
For the grace of God that bringeth salvation hath appeared to all men

Romans 5:9
Much more then, being now justified by HIS BLOOD, we shall be SAVED from WRATH through him

BORN OF WATER AND SPIRIT
John 3:5
5 Jesus answered, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born of WATER and of the SPIRIT, he cannot ENTER into the kingdom of God.

Verse 11.....The grace of God......
Titus 2:12
Teaching us that, denying ungodliness and worldly lusts, we should live soberly, righteously, and godly, in this present world

Galatians 5:18
But if ye be LED BY THE SPIRIT, ye are NOT UNDER the law

Romans 8:3-4
3For what the Law could not do, WEAK as it was THROUGHT THE FLESH, GOD DID: sending His own Son in the likeness of sinful flesh and as an offering for sin, He condemned sin in the flesh,
4so that the requirement of the Law might be fulfilled in us, who DO NOT walk according to the FLESH but according to the SPIRIT.

John 15:3
Now ye are clean through the word which I have spoken unto you

Ephesians 5:26
That he might sanctify and cleanse it with the WASHING OF WATER BY THE WORD

John 5:24
Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that HEARETH MY WORD, and BELIEVETH ON HIM that sent me, hath everlasting life,
and shall not come into condemnation; but is passed from death unto life

I John 5:8
And there are three that bear witness in earth, the SPIRIT, and the WATER, and the BLOOD: and these three agree in one

Other scriptures to note:
Matthew 24:12-13
12"Because LAWLESSNESS is increased, most people's LOVE will grow COLD.
13"But the one who ENDURES TO THE END, HE WILL BE SAVED.

Jude 1:5
I will therefore put you in remembrance, though ye once knew this, how that the Lord, having SAVED the people out of the land of Egypt, afterward destroyed them that BELIEVED NOT
Re: Born Again Vs Born Of Water And Spirit by VictorR1(m): 11:06am On Oct 16, 2013
This is interesting and i must say kinda contrary to how normal christians interpret "born again". When someone says he's born again he means he's given his life to christ and leaving his past sins. But the OP seems to be saying that anybody who hears the gospel is born again. This is not making much sense, it doesn't agree with well known christian teaching.
Re: Born Again Vs Born Of Water And Spirit by VictorR1(m): 11:06am On Oct 16, 2013
bump
Re: Born Again Vs Born Of Water And Spirit by italo: 1:35pm On Oct 16, 2013
To be born again (born of water and spirit) is to be baptized.
Re: Born Again Vs Born Of Water And Spirit by Syncan(m): 2:36pm On Oct 16, 2013
italo: To be born again (born of water and spirit) is to be baptized.

Simple.
Re: Born Again Vs Born Of Water And Spirit by okeyxyz(m): 6:28pm On Oct 17, 2013
Victor.R:
This is interesting and i must say kinda contrary to how normal christians interpret "born again". When someone says he's born again he means he's given his life to christ and leaving his past sins. But the OP seems to be saying that anybody who hears the gospel is born again. This is not making much sense, it doesn't agree with well known christian teaching.

Accepting the doctrine of christianity makes you a born again, rather than the actual practice of christian doctrine. After accepting this doctrine, it becomes part of your conscience and the means by which your judge right and wrong. Now choosing to do wrong does not take away your born-againism grin, because your conscience still keeps you in awareness of your wrong deeds as judged by this new doctrine.

After being born again and you need to profit from new awareness, you have to speak(water) and do(spirit) the things you are convinced of by this doctrine, hence you are born of water and spirit.
Re: Born Again Vs Born Of Water And Spirit by okeyxyz(m): 6:28pm On Oct 17, 2013
Re: Born Again Vs Born Of Water And Spirit by okeyxyz(m): 6:32pm On Oct 17, 2013
italo: To be born again (born of water and spirit) is to be baptized.

Naahh!!! This is the misconception.
Re: Born Again Vs Born Of Water And Spirit by Syncan(m): 4:58am On Oct 18, 2013
okeyxyz:

Accepting the doctrine of christianity makes you a born again, rather than the actual practice of christian doctrine. After accepting this doctrine, it becomes part of your conscience and the means by which your judge right and wrong. Now choosing to do wrong does not take away your born-againism grin, because your conscience still keeps you in awareness of your wrong deeds as judged by this new doctrine.

After being born again and you need to profit from new awareness, you have to speak(water) and do(spirit) the things you are convinced of by this doctrine, hence you are born of water and spirit.

speak and do = water and spirit? see levels na!
Re: Born Again Vs Born Of Water And Spirit by italo: 7:32am On Oct 18, 2013
Syncan:

Oh boy! Just when you think you've heard it all.

Jesus dey patient o!

Okeyxyz,

Who taught you this one?
Re: Born Again Vs Born Of Water And Spirit by Nobody: 8:33am On Oct 18, 2013
@OP

Born again is not just understanding God's word.

True, born again is a requirement to be in the kingdom of God, however, one's conduct can affect his inheriting it even after being born again.

Born again simply means the baptism by water and holy spirit. After the apostles were baptized from water(water baptism is the baptism by water), the holy spirit fell upon them at pentacost (it was then that they were baptized by the spirit.)
Re: Born Again Vs Born Of Water And Spirit by okeyxyz(m): 11:01am On Oct 18, 2013
JMAN05: @OP

Born again is not just understanding God's word.

True, born again is a requirement to be in the kingdom of God, however, one's conduct can affect his inheriting it even after being born again.

Born again simply means the baptism by water and holy spirit. After the apostles were baptized from water(water baptism is the baptism by water), the holy spirit fell upon them at pentacost (it was then that they were baptized by the spirit.)

You are mistaken. Being born again is not a requirement to be in the kingdom of God, it only enables you to believe("see" -John 3:3) the kingdom, making you a christian. To actually use and enjoy the benefits("enter" -John 3:5) of this kingdom, then you'd have to speak(water) and do(spirit) what you have seen/understood from being born again.

Water baptism is just the practice of symbolism because symbolism was important to them back in those days. It was their measure of faith, the evidence of their belief.

We interpret spirit as an outside invisible entity with a will of it's own, but actually spirit means understanding, character or behaviour, simple. This whole misconception also carries over from the old days when they couldn't see God but could see his operations in action, thus the spirit(action) of god.
Re: Born Again Vs Born Of Water And Spirit by okeyxyz(m): 11:06am On Oct 18, 2013
Syncan:

Gbam!!!!

See my explanation above for further understanding. cool
Re: Born Again Vs Born Of Water And Spirit by okeyxyz(m): 11:07am On Oct 18, 2013
italo:
Okeyxyz,

Who taught you this one?

The spirit teaches me all things. cool
Re: Born Again Vs Born Of Water And Spirit by Syncan(m): 11:41am On Oct 18, 2013
okeyxyz:

Gbam!!!!

See my explanation above for further understanding. cool

John 3:5 Jesus answered, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born of water and of the Spirit, he cannot enter into the kingdom of God.

Acts 8:36 And as they went on their way, they came unto a certain water: and the eunuch said, See, here is water; what doth hinder me to be baptized?

now oga okexyz has changed this understanding claiming its old school. I de bow for you o.
Re: Born Again Vs Born Of Water And Spirit by Syncan(m): 11:48am On Oct 18, 2013
okeyxyz:

The spirit teaches me all things. cool

okeyxyz:

We interpret spirit as an outside invisible entity with a will of it's own, but actually spirit means understanding, character or behaviour, simple. This whole misconception also carries over from the old days when they couldn't see God but could see his operations in action, thus the spirit(action) of god.

According to you, spirit is understanding, character, or behaviour. Now you claim the spirit teaches you all things. What you are saying is that " understanding, character or behaviour, teaches you all things". Ok sir I gerrit, we are not in the same world.
Re: Born Again Vs Born Of Water And Spirit by italo: 12:34pm On Oct 18, 2013
Sometimes I cant help thinking that some people deliberately set out to make us laugh on nairaland.
Re: Born Again Vs Born Of Water And Spirit by Nobody: 3:31pm On Oct 18, 2013
okeyxyz:

You are mistaken. Being born again is not a requirement to be in the kingdom of God, it only enables you to believe([color=#990000]"see" -John 3:3) the kingdom, making you a christian. To actually use and enjoy the benefits("enter" -John 3:5) of this kingdom, then you'd have to speak(water) and do(spirit) what you have seen/understood from being born again.[/color]

Water baptism is just the practice of symbolism because symbolism was important to them back in those days. It was their measure of faith, the evidence of their belief.

Baptism is symbolism. Spirit is action.

O boy!!!!!! where did you come from? I cant help but laugh. My brother your problem is too much ooo. I dont even know where to start.

(1) (Reply)

Oyedepo's Moving Eulogy For Myles Munroe / Pastor Oyedepo & Pastor Adeboye Will Rot In Hell / Understanding What Sin Is, And How To Be Forgiven

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.