Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,516 members, 7,801,360 topics. Date: Thursday, 18 April 2024 at 02:18 PM

What Can I Do To Enjoy My Stay In Abuja And Nigeria. - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / What Can I Do To Enjoy My Stay In Abuja And Nigeria. (2531 Views)

Comparison Btw Cost Of Living In The United State And Nigeria. / FG Approves Emirates To Ply Abuja And Kano / What's Up With Ghana And Nigeria? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Can I Do To Enjoy My Stay In Abuja And Nigeria. by Nobody: 10:51am On Oct 15, 2013
Hey all Nairalanders!

So I just arrived in Abuja a few weeks ago. I will stay there until mid-January and then I fly back in February.

So far I haven't really had a great time because I don't know many people in Abuja (actually just one guy I met at a shop! and a taxi driver!). My colleagues are all much more older than me (and not the very warm welcoming one). I've already experienced a hospital for 5 days due to a combination of malaria and low immune system caused by infection.
I would like to meet people and have a good time in Abuja. Does anyone have any suggestions for things to do in Abuja? I'm sure there are plenty of very nice people in Abuja but as I have been sick I have not been able to do any activities.
Also, what would you suggest me to do during my 3 weeks holiday? I was thinking of going a few days to Calabar, but I'd love any suggestion (also things like transport, accomodation, costs, etc)

Thank you very much!
Re: What Can I Do To Enjoy My Stay In Abuja And Nigeria. by Illuminatus(m): 11:24am On Oct 15, 2013
I'm really interested in the responses you'd get (albeit for a whole different reason). Following.
Re: What Can I Do To Enjoy My Stay In Abuja And Nigeria. by Nobody: 12:27pm On Oct 15, 2013
Illuminatus: I'm really interested in the responses you'd get (albeit for a whole different reason). Following.

what kind of answers to you think i will get?!
Re: What Can I Do To Enjoy My Stay In Abuja And Nigeria. by Davidoff2000: 12:09am On Oct 16, 2013
Abuja is a pretty staid sorta town, so you wont be catching much fun, trust me- except you generate it yourself theres little to see and do, so the first thin you must do is- get some sort of formal reason to step out every morning, so you can mix and meet people. It is quasi work, but it ensures you have a destination every day.

Learn a new skill or acquire some kind of knowledge- try make up school or interior décor classes. It keeps ypu bsuy in the morning and you get to meet people. If you are not computer literate, enrol in a month computer class. It will be fun stepping out every morning and coming back late.

Abuja trade fair is on at the momemt at Old parade ground in Garki- stop by there. Visit the arts n crafts village next to Silverbird, the visit silverbird itself. The lifestyle malls are alal Abuja has got so try NEXT in Kado, Ceddi in Central Area, shoprite in Gudu and Exlusive in Wuse 2.
Jabi lake can also be fun if you have someone around you. Then try Millenium park. Goto Wuse market an walk around and seep in the bustle n hustle- even if you are not buying anythng you’d see some bargains, plus you could just run into an old classmate.

Get a laptop and a modem and vist the major hotels. A drink or a bite and you are browsing for hours while also observing people- Transcorp’s Piano bar is good, Nicon Luxury’s terrace bar(I forget the name now) Sheraton lobby are good places. Nanet bar is also not bad.
Try the poolside of Vanecia on weekend and Rockview Classic and Royale. You can just sit on the upper bar, cappuccino in hand, watching people laze aaround in water.

Get a racquet and learn a sport- try Tennis at City park. There is a coach there so if you go on any evening, he will fit you and begin training you. In a month, you are knocking balls around. Or you go to National stadium every morning and jog or play tennis or squash or handball.
First Saturday of every month, go to designers mrket place- it is more a rendezvous for young people, so multitudes always turn out there- that’s in two weeks time at City park in Wuse 2.

In the evening, the gardens are numerous- try Maitama park in Maitama, the garden opposite EAT.Com in maitama as well, try Dreams in Wuse 2, City park in wuse 2 as well. Theres Calypso opposite AP plaza(I think down konoko str) in Wuse 2, theres Papa and Mummy’s garden in Wuse Zone 1 then a phletoraa of gardens along Abidjan str in wuse zone 3, try them, for fish, nkowobi, isi ewu and the likes. Then theres Eden in Jabi with their stand up acts.

Try the modelling shows in the galleria, the soirees in private clubs, the pemieres at most of the theatres etc etc.
As per the clubs and lounges, if you are a night person- try Play in Wuse 2- along the same road you have Kubana. They are both okay. Theres carribean in between- it’s a stop ovver. Theres caramellos in Utako, theres Aqau at Sheraton- theyv changed names now. Then try SOFA, its always full, so is Zakudia or Club storm or former basement beside ITF building or Transcorp.

Theres Bamboo in Maitama- nice aalfresco setting as well as Tucanos as well. In Garki therses Ibiza in area 11 and Armani Lounge in tswanya centre. And if you want to party any week day and don’t mind doing it in the midst of floosies, then try Krystal opposite Etisalat office in Wuse 2. There are other watering holes like Baytown in Gudu, Blinkers in Asokoro, Vegas in Gwarinpa (opposite Mr Biggs), Lake view opposite Jabi lake and I think 53 in Lugbe or so.

My dear, you have to create your own fun o.

3 Likes

Re: What Can I Do To Enjoy My Stay In Abuja And Nigeria. by Nobody: 9:22am On Oct 16, 2013
Davidoff2000: Learn a new skill or acquire some kind of knowledge- try make up school or interior décor classes. It keeps ypu bsuy in the morning and you get to meet people. If you are not computer literate, enrol in a month computer class. It will be fun stepping out every morning and coming back late.

Just to make it clear: I do have a job here!! From 8 to 5, Monday to Friday (not Friday afternoon though)! I wouldn't have come to stay 4 months in Abuja otherwise.

But thanks for all your suggestions. I've already been to arts and crafts village, I'm not too bad at bargaining. Silverbird and Ceddi Plazza too, though always some purpose (just go to one shop and then out). Jabbi lake I went yesterday, it was quite fun, though the lake is very dirty :-( compared to the one we have in Europe!
I think I just have to meet more people (and not only boring expats!) but it's not always easy.

Thanks again, I will keep in mind all your great outing ideas!
Re: What Can I Do To Enjoy My Stay In Abuja And Nigeria. by nipeks001(m): 1:42pm On Oct 16, 2013
Pls,i demand to know why my comment was hidden angryPls,i demand to know why my comment was hidden
Re: What Can I Do To Enjoy My Stay In Abuja And Nigeria. by Nobody: 1:49pm On Oct 16, 2013
nipeks001: Pls,i demand to know why my comment was hidden angryPls,i demand to know why my comment was hidden

probably because you said something inappropriate. Or didn't follow the 21 rules. Or some mod doesn't like you.... :-S
Re: What Can I Do To Enjoy My Stay In Abuja And Nigeria. by justwise(m): 4:16pm On Oct 16, 2013
nipeks001: Pls,i demand to know why my comment was hidden angryPls,i demand to know why my comment was hidden

It was hidden because you were trying to instigate unnecessary argument about the op.
Re: What Can I Do To Enjoy My Stay In Abuja And Nigeria. by Yvete(f): 7:45pm On Oct 16, 2013
Davidoff2000: Abuja is a pretty staid sorta town, so you wont be catching much fun, trust me- except you generate it yourself

Wow! Page bookmarked. I will need this. Have fun @ Miss-Sweety86.
Re: What Can I Do To Enjoy My Stay In Abuja And Nigeria. by hedonistic: 6:08pm On May 14, 2015
Davidoff2000:
Abuja is a pretty staid sorta town, so you wont be catching much fun, trust me- except you generate it yourself theres little to see and do, so the first thin you must do is- get some sort of formal reason to step out every morning, so you can mix and meet people. It is quasi work, but it ensures you have a destination every day.

Learn a new skill or acquire some kind of knowledge- try make up school or interior décor classes. It keeps ypu bsuy in the morning and you get to meet people. If you are not computer literate, enrol in a month computer class. It will be fun stepping out every morning and coming back late.

Abuja trade fair is on at the momemt at Old parade ground in Garki- stop by there. Visit the arts n crafts village next to Silverbird, the visit silverbird itself. The lifestyle malls are alal Abuja has got so try NEXT in Kado, Ceddi in Central Area, shoprite in Gudu and Exlusive in Wuse 2.
Jabi lake can also be fun if you have someone around you. Then try Millenium park. Goto Wuse market an walk around and seep in the bustle n hustle- even if you are not buying anythng you’d see some bargains, plus you could just run into an old classmate.

Get a laptop and a modem and vist the major hotels. A drink or a bite and you are browsing for hours while also observing people- Transcorp’s Piano bar is good, Nicon Luxury’s terrace bar(I forget the name now) Sheraton lobby are good places. Nanet bar is also not bad.
Try the poolside of Vanecia on weekend and Rockview Classic and Royale. You can just sit on the upper bar, cappuccino in hand, watching people laze aaround in water.

Get a racquet and learn a sport- try Tennis at City park. There is a coach there so if you go on any evening, he will fit you and begin training you. In a month, you are knocking balls around. Or you go to National stadium every morning and jog or play tennis or squash or handball.
First Saturday of every month, go to designers mrket place- it is more a rendezvous for young people, so multitudes always turn out there- that’s in two weeks time at City park in Wuse 2.

In the evening, the gardens are numerous- try Maitama park in Maitama, the garden opposite EAT.Com in maitama as well, try Dreams in Wuse 2, City park in wuse 2 as well. Theres Calypso opposite AP plaza(I think down konoko str) in Wuse 2, theres Papa and Mummy’s garden in Wuse Zone 1 then a phletoraa of gardens along Abidjan str in wuse zone 3, try them, for fish, nkowobi, isi ewu and the likes. Then theres Eden in Jabi with their stand up acts.

Try the modelling shows in the galleria, the soirees in private clubs, the pemieres at most of the theatres etc etc.
As per the clubs and lounges, if you are a night person- try Play in Wuse 2- along the same road you have Kubana. They are both okay. Theres carribean in between- it’s a stop ovver. Theres caramellos in Utako, theres Aqau at Sheraton- theyv changed names now. Then try SOFA, its always full, so is Zakudia or Club storm or former basement beside ITF building or Transcorp.

Theres Bamboo in Maitama- nice aalfresco setting as well as Tucanos as well. In Garki therses Ibiza in area 11 and Armani Lounge in tswanya centre. And if you want to party any week day and don’t mind doing it in the midst of floosies, then try Krystal opposite Etisalat office in Wuse 2. There are other watering holes like Baytown in Gudu, Blinkers in Asokoro, Vegas in Gwarinpa (opposite Mr Biggs), Lake view opposite Jabi lake and I think 53 in Lugbe or so.

My dear, you have to create your own fun o.

Very very helpful.

(1) (Reply)

From Owerri To Calabar, I Learnt A Very Big Lesson / Everything US H-1B Visa Category / Tourism Projects In Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.