Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,864 members, 7,802,771 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 09:13 PM

Which Car Am I Supposed To Choose? - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Which Car Am I Supposed To Choose? (4708 Views)

My People I Need Advise On This Car Am Buying . / Photos: Are FRSC Officials Supposed To Beat Up A Citizen? / What Kind Of Car Am I Driving (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Which Car Am I Supposed To Choose? by Double194(m): 12:08am On Oct 16, 2013
I lost my dad in 2008 and since then as the first son with JƱڪτ̲̅ my mum and one younger brother, I have been faced with certain tough decisions to make because of the invisible mantle of leadership that has fallen on me and by Gods grace I have not been founding wanting.
But this case is very confusing that is why I decided to bring it here for advice. We JƱڪτ̲̅ made a collective family decision to buy a family car since my dads old car was sold after his death and my mums official car is only for official purposes i.e coming to pick her from office and bringing her back home or maybe other office related drives. It does not even park for more than 30mins in my compound. Her company is very strict about that.
We have 1.2milla ready and we all decided it MUST be Toyota. My brother though talking like d kid he is, is shouting Camry 2.2 my mum is talking Rav4 cos she thinks it has higher ground clearance and she is kinda fat so she is afraid smaller cars might hit ground at bumps and potholes [U all know what I mean]. I don't have much experience about cars so I am asking for candid advice. Initially I was thinking Avalon but at this point I am JƱڪτ̲̅ confused. I need a car that shows class and also comfy for a family of three.
Pls guys help me remain d problem solving first son they think me to be. Thank You.
Re: Which Car Am I Supposed To Choose? by lonelydora: 2:56am On Oct 16, 2013
Buy what your mum wants and make her happy. When u want to buy your personal car, u can make that decision urself. Car depends on what you want.

2 Likes

Re: Which Car Am I Supposed To Choose? by Double194(m): 5:49am On Oct 16, 2013
lonelydora: Buy what your mum wants and make her happy. When u want to buy your personal car, u can make that decision urself. Car depends on what you want.
She gave me the Liberty to choose, she JƱڪτ̲̅ suggested Rav4 and she wasn't even very concrete with the suggestion. She thinks herself a novice [not knowing am equally dumb about cars] that is why am bringing it to U guys. U got to tell me d pros and cons of dat car. In her words “no be U get car?, my own be only to dey follow una waka if better tin dey? Abeg close eye choose better car wey we go buy.”
Re: Which Car Am I Supposed To Choose? by Nobody: 6:16am On Oct 16, 2013
if you are looking for economy and midsized sedan that is easy to run and maintain take CAMRY (some are 3.0L V6, and some are 2.3 i4 engines) looking for large interior and exterior space with considerable level of luxury and good handling take AVALON (its 3.0L V6 its elongated camry but better than camry). Looking for high ground clearance yet compact and fuel economy take RAV4 (avoid 2000-2005 models most people complain they have ECU and Transmission problem).

2 Likes

Re: Which Car Am I Supposed To Choose? by chucky234(m): 6:54am On Oct 16, 2013
With your budget 2002 Avalon will more than do the magic.

1 Like

Re: Which Car Am I Supposed To Choose? by Double194(m): 7:58am On Oct 16, 2013
lomomike: (avoid 2000-2005 models most people complain they have ECU and Transmission problem).

Now somebody is actually talking to me. But pls what's does ECU and transmission problem really mean??
Re: Which Car Am I Supposed To Choose? by Double194(m): 8:02am On Oct 16, 2013
chucky234: With your budget 2002 Avalon will more than do the magic.

Thanks Chucky, U no dey ever disappoint. Now lemme google 2002 Avalon and  what it looks like.
Do U know if it normally has any known problem??
Re: Which Car Am I Supposed To Choose? by Nobody: 8:12am On Oct 16, 2013
Double194:

Now somebody is actually talking to me. But pls what's does ECU and transmission problem really mean??

Transmission means gearbox and drive shaft. Most people complain that automatic gearbox RAV4 develops gearbox palava.

ECU means Engine Control Unit AKA BRAINBOX the brainbox or ECU is a programmed/programmable unit that control all functions in a car and also constantly monitors various parameters using series of probes, sensors etc. It monitors and control gear shifts, fuel consumption, power and torque delivery etc. Its just like a CPU in a computer or Brain in humanbeings. The ECU constantly monitors and learn how drivers driving style is and delivers both fuel and air mixture to constantly maintain such driving pattern. ECU monitors all parametres and harmonize them together to give you all the manufacturers desired performance in a car.
Most people complain that ECU fails in 2001-2003 model RAV4.

Check here for more info
www.nairaland.com/597009/toyota-rav4-2001-2003-auto

1 Like

Re: Which Car Am I Supposed To Choose? by Nobody: 8:31am On Oct 16, 2013
If you have the money....follow lomomike's advice since your mum is kinda fat (no insults intended bro), A Rav4 will be the ideal ride, ground clearance, better suspension than the Camry, and above all the Toyota's dependability (not 2000 - 2005) and fuel economy too!

1 Like

Re: Which Car Am I Supposed To Choose? by Double194(m): 8:38am On Oct 16, 2013
smartchoice: If you have the money....follow lomomike's advice since your mum is kinda fat (no insults intended bro), A Rav4 will be the ideal ride, ground clearance, better suspension than the Camry, and above all the Toyota's dependability (not 2000 - 2005) and fuel economy too!

No insults taken, [me & my bro even make fun of her and she laughs over it]

Soo which models should I consider and what are d price ranges?? [Am talking direct Tokunbo not Naija used]
Re: Which Car Am I Supposed To Choose? by Double194(m): 8:42am On Oct 16, 2013
lomomike:

Transmission means gearbox and drive shaft. Most people complain that automatic gearbox RAV4 develops gearbox palava.

ECU means Engine Control Unit AKA BRAINBOX the brainbox or ECU is a programmed/programmable unit that control all functions in a car.
Most people complain that ECU fails in 2001-2003 model RAV4.

Oga me U be guru. I konfam U today. Thank You plenty plenty
But U JƱڪτ̲̅ told me models to avoid, u didn't tell me the good ones and maybe their specs.
Re: Which Car Am I Supposed To Choose? by Nobody: 8:50am On Oct 16, 2013
Re: Which Car Am I Supposed To Choose? by Nobody: 10:28am On Oct 16, 2013
Double194:

Oga me U be guru just like any other person wey dey willing to learn no matter how tins be. I konfam U today. Thank You plenty plenty
But U JƱڪτ̲̅ told me models to avoid, u didn't tell me the good ones and maybe their specs.

My oga I twuale 4 u!

Apart from that 2001-2003 rav4 issues, 2008-2010 toyota models get another problem for their pedal/carpet design them dey call am sudden unintended acceleration problem. Personally, me I no be fan of toyota. Them no fine for body and their inside be like where mumu fowl dance alanta finish. E no fine like that. And me I no like them because them no dey behave like sports motor. I mean they are very boring to drive. They no dey put plenty effizy inside their motor (dia motor empty like [I]kpangolo[/i]) compared to other motors like honda, nissan (I no talk reach european or american cars)
Re: Which Car Am I Supposed To Choose? by Nobody: 10:34am On Oct 16, 2013
lomomike help him out nah! I could have but am a Mercedes Fan.
Re: Which Car Am I Supposed To Choose? by Nobody: 11:00am On Oct 16, 2013
smartchoice: lomomike help him out nah! I could have but am a Mercedes Fan.

Oga mi, I've tried to explain what I know besides, I'm an infiniti fan.
Re: Which Car Am I Supposed To Choose? by Nobody: 11:06am On Oct 16, 2013
Ikenna351 I have been seeing you on this thread Nicodemously....advice the man nah!
Re: Which Car Am I Supposed To Choose? by Double194(m): 12:13pm On Oct 16, 2013
smartchoice: Ikenna351 I have been seeing you on this thread Nicodemously....advice the man nah!

My broda I don't know why Ikenna doesn't want to add his own 2 cents. I no knw weda me and am dey quarrel ooh.

1 Like

Re: Which Car Am I Supposed To Choose? by Double194(m): 12:17pm On Oct 16, 2013
lomomike:

Oga mi, I've tried to explain what I know besides, I'm an infiniti fan.

Oga me U have really tried but assuming U were in my shoes, what car would U choose?? [Any type or model]
Re: Which Car Am I Supposed To Choose? by Nobody: 12:17pm On Oct 16, 2013
Ikenna351!
Re: Which Car Am I Supposed To Choose? by Double194(m): 12:24pm On Oct 16, 2013
lomomike:

Apart from that 2001-2003 rav4 issues, 2008-2010 toyota models get another problem for their pedal/carpet design them dey call am sudden unintended acceleration problem. Personally, me I no be fan of toyota. Them no fine for body and their inside be like where mumu fowl dance alanta finish. E no fine like that. And me I no like them because them no dey behave like sports motor. I mean they are very boring to drive. They no dey put plenty effizy inside their motor (dia motor empty like [I]kpangolo[/i]) compared to other motors like honda, nissan (I no talk reach european or american cars)

With these points U have raised and with the links from SmartChoice I have read. I am begining to hate Toyota. I used to adore it cos of its fame as a fuel economist & easy to repair. But am seeing lots of factory faults. A car review blog I read was even talking about one model of Avalon that the headlights automatically come on whenever anything bangs its bumper. Never knew choosing a car would be dis difficult.
Re: Which Car Am I Supposed To Choose? by Ikenna351(m): 1:35pm On Oct 16, 2013
Double194:

My broda I don't know why Ikenna doesn't want to add his own 2 cents. I no knw weda me and am dey quarrel ooh.

Toyota Camry:
http://www.carsurvey.org/reviews/toyota/camry/

Toyota Rav4:
http://www.carsurvey.org/reviews/toyota/rav4/

Toyota Avalon:
http://www.carsurvey.org/reviews/toyota/avalon/

Ikenna.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Which Car Am I Supposed To Choose? by Double194(m): 2:29pm On Oct 16, 2013
I.K, I owe U one bottle of beer, how I go take send am come??

Checking ur links Asap
Re: Which Car Am I Supposed To Choose? by Double194(m): 2:33pm On Oct 16, 2013
I.K can U also tell me anytin on price relativity??
I told U my budget is 1.2milla.
Re: Which Car Am I Supposed To Choose? by FlyboyZee: 9:16pm On Oct 16, 2013
The 1999 - 2003/4 Nissan Pathfinder should be a smart buy for U guys. If U want something more upscale, the Infiniti version of the Pathy of same period would get U smiling. I hope this helps my bro?
Re: Which Car Am I Supposed To Choose? by Nobody: 11:03pm On Oct 16, 2013
Flyboy Zee: The 1999 - 2003/4 Nissan Pathfinder should be a smart buy for U guys. If U want something more upscale, the Infiniti version of the Pathy of same period would get U smiling. I hope this helps my bro?

Op didnt say he need advice on Nissan Pathfinder/QX4? Besides those trucks the 3.5L V6 is quite a thirsty engine, pathfinder and QX4 foreign used in good conditions are between 1.5m and 2.5m for 1998 -2003/4 models. Their service/ repair bills also don't always come that cheap. Op stay clear from these trucks if you want economy.
Re: Which Car Am I Supposed To Choose? by Nobody: 11:27pm On Oct 16, 2013

Re: Which Car Am I Supposed To Choose? by Lexusgs430: 1:56am On Oct 17, 2013
lomomike:

My oga I twuale 4 u!

' Toyota's no dey behave like sports motor ' ? Have you driven a supra, celica (Gen 6 + Gen 7 vvtli) or a GT 86 ? Before making such assumptions ?
Re: Which Car Am I Supposed To Choose? by Nobody: 6:35am On Oct 17, 2013
Lexusgs430:

' Toyota's no dey behave like sports motor ' ? Have you driven a supra, celica (Gen 6 + Gen 7 vvtli) or a GT 86 ? Before making such assumptions ?
We aren't talking about cars meant for outright Sports or Grand Touring. Its well known a honda and a nissan have a better driving feel than their toyota counterpart. Even if you take the celica and supra, I know a skyline gtr and an s2000 and a prelude still shines. Get these facts right an average toyota how ever comfortable they might seem is very bland and lacks "wow" drivin. Your camry, your corolla, avalon, avensis even with all their sports body claddings... Bland vehicles compared to civics, accords or maxima et al not even to talk of their european counterparts like audi merc or beemer. Their SUV or CUV still same thing bland non sporty rides.
Re: Which Car Am I Supposed To Choose? by Lexusgs430: 7:06am On Oct 17, 2013
lomomike:
We aren't talking about cars meant for outright Sports or Grand Touring. Its well known a honda and a nissan have a better driving feel than their toyota counterpart. Even if you take the celica and supra, I know a skyline gtr and an s2000 and a prelude still shines. Get these facts right an average toyota how ever comfortable they might seem is very bland and lacks "wow" drivin. Your camry, your corolla, avalon, avensis even with all their sports body claddings... Bland vehicles compared to civics, accords or maxima et al not even to talk of their european counterparts like audi merc or beemer. Their SUV or CUV still same thing bland non sporty rides.

Everyone to their own. I own an S2000 and Celica GT vvtli (gen 7), and I know the one I derive pleasure from driving the most !!!
Re: Which Car Am I Supposed To Choose? by Nobody: 7:51am On Oct 17, 2013
Lexusgs430:

Everyone to their own. I own an S2000 and Celica GT vvtli (gen 7), and I know the one I derive pleasure from driving the most !!!

Chairman we no dey fight na, oya make we join hands as friends and brothers concern and help our friend and brother wey need our opinion grin

1 Like

Re: Which Car Am I Supposed To Choose? by Lexusgs430: 8:46am On Oct 17, 2013
lomomike:
Chairman we no dey fight na, oya make we join hands as friends and brothers concern and help our friend and brother wey need our opinion grin

Fight ke ? Nothing like that my Oga @ Top !!!

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Cars I Saw On The Road Today / Honda Crv / Nissan Murano Vs Infiniti FX35. Please Advice

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 66
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.