Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,873 members, 7,806,493 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 05:15 PM

How To Get Admitted In Medicine And Surgery Next Year - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / How To Get Admitted In Medicine And Surgery Next Year (15531 Views)

Chioma Onuoha Admitted In Three Ivy League Schools / How Tough Is Medicine And Surgery As A Course? / The Easiest University To Get Admission For Medicine And Surgery In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

How To Get Admitted In Medicine And Surgery Next Year by lomaxx: 9:58am On Oct 17, 2013
There is no better time to post this than now. I know that some of you wrote UTME this year, but could not make it. This is not the time to sulk. This is not time to feel that the world has come to an end. You have to realize that what has happened has happened. So get up, dust your books and get on track.

As for aspirants of Medicine who are yet to taste UTME, you wouldn't want to take it a second time. Or a third. Again, that's why I'm here.

By now, I hope you must have sorted out the school you are applying to. It's purely a choice thing. So it's entirely up to you.

If you want to study medicine, you need a high score. Why? Because there's competition to get in. There are many people that are going to use all sorts of means to make that list. No matter where you apply to- a high score will get you in (except for schools that are notorious for despising merit). Be guided too
Re: How To Get Admitted In Medicine And Surgery Next Year by lomaxx: 9:59am On Oct 17, 2013
Why am I worried about a 2014 Exam in 2013? Some of us wrote UME once. I'm privileged to be one of them. My 2009 UME score was 273/400 ( I wasn't even impressed). My POST-UME score was 328/400. So I'm going to tell you aspirants exactly what I did so you can nail higher scores.

1) SET A TARGET SCORE
I had a target. My target was 290. For someone that never did science in secondary school but wanted medicine, that was crazy. But it was a target anyway. Set a high and realistic target. High enough to get you in a good medical school. Realistic enough to be achieved. Any score is achievable- if you put your mind and work hard.

4 Likes

Re: How To Get Admitted In Medicine And Surgery Next Year by lomaxx: 9:59am On Oct 17, 2013
2) GET A UTME SYLLABUS, TEXTBOOKS AND PAST QUESTIONS

Secondly, I got JAMB Syllabus, the required textbooks, UME Past Questions booklet in Biology, Chemistry, Physics and English . I wonder how some of you prepare for JAMB without the syllabus. There's a reason JAMB gives the UTME Syllabus. So that you will be guided. Any question that will be asked would be within the scope of the syllabus. So if you have been ignoring your syllabus, go get it.

Then the textbooks. I don't know what is obtained now. But in 2009, I used Modern Biology for Biology, New School Chemistry for Chemistry, New School Physics + Advanced Level Physics by Nelkon and Parker.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: How To Get Admitted In Medicine And Surgery Next Year by lomaxx: 10:00am On Oct 17, 2013
3). PLAN YOUR TIME TABLE
Nobody gets building materials and starts building. You have to draw a building plan first. Strategize. Hire workers. And go from time to time to inspect the building site, evaluate what the workers are doing, make adjustments and pay. High scores do not come easy. You have to pay a price.

So plan your timetable. Then, I knew Biology was voluminous, Physics required plenty calculations and Chemistry was just mainstream. So my timetable was like this:

Monday: Biology, Physics
Tuesday: Chemistry, Biology
Wednesday: Chemistry, Physics
Thursday : Biology, Physics
Friday : Chemistry , Physics
Saturday : Use of English, Biology
Sunday : Biology, Chemistry

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: How To Get Admitted In Medicine And Surgery Next Year by lomaxx: 10:00am On Oct 17, 2013
4) HAVE AN AIM

After planning, you must have an aim. My aim was:

1) Cover the syllabus in Biology, Chemistry and Physics at least 3 times. Then PQs in Use of English

2) Cover the past questions for at least 15 years from the last year with focus in speed and accuracy.

To cover the syllabus, I started early. I started preparing for 2009 UME in April from September 2008. So you have to start early. If you haven't started preparing for 2014's UTME by now, I wonder what you're waiting for.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: How To Get Admitted In Medicine And Surgery Next Year by lomaxx: 10:01am On Oct 17, 2013
5) HAVE A TECHNIQUE

My approach to the Past Questions was like this: Before every reading session daily, I solved a year, check the answers, score myself, and make corrections. After a reading session in a subject, I'll solve another year, check the answers, score myself and correct myself too. This was for the first 2 months.

The next two months, I solved the Past questions within my reading session daily...with a stop watch. I timed myself. I was working on speed. UTME Exam is a timed exam. Many of you complain of not finishing. This is how to avoid that hassle. The following months, I continued with the same flair.

2 Likes

Re: How To Get Admitted In Medicine And Surgery Next Year by lomaxx: 10:02am On Oct 17, 2013
6) DELETE DISTRACTIONS

Finally, delete distractions. I don't see how you will go far in your UTME Preparation for Medicine when you're hyper-active on BBM, 2go, Whatsapp, Facebook, Twitter et al. It would steal your time from your books. And there is no time. A relationship is not going to do you any good now. Focus on your studies.

This post was borne out of a Nairalander's pain to see people struggle every year without success. Work hard and you'll succeed.

See you at the top!!

15 Likes 1 Share

Re: How To Get Admitted In Medicine And Surgery Next Year by Lagusta(m): 10:06am On Oct 17, 2013
Nice smiley
Re: How To Get Admitted In Medicine And Surgery Next Year by taiocol: 10:17am On Oct 17, 2013
tnx smiley Monday: Biology, Physics
Tuesday: Chemistry, Biology
Wednesday: Chemistry, Physics
Thursday : Biology, Physics
Friday : Chemistry , Physics
Saturday : Use of English, Biology
Sunday : Biology, Chemistry
i gat 2 start proper preparation

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How To Get Admitted In Medicine And Surgery Next Year by christejames(m): 10:33am On Oct 17, 2013
Nice one lomaxx for setting the pace. Thumbs up!!!
Re: How To Get Admitted In Medicine And Surgery Next Year by topsonkay(m): 11:04am On Oct 17, 2013
Wow!!! Nyc 1. Thanks Dr. Lomaxx
Re: How To Get Admitted In Medicine And Surgery Next Year by Ubechu1(m): 11:13am On Oct 17, 2013
Tnx Dr Matata...this would be very helful to me
Re: How To Get Admitted In Medicine And Surgery Next Year by mesther96(f): 11:27am On Oct 17, 2013
wow wow wow
i hope dz makes front page
if na tonto dikeh pishure naw,e 4 don mke front page ! embarassed
kudos 2 u dear,more ink 2 ur pen kiss

1 Like

Re: How To Get Admitted In Medicine And Surgery Next Year by labodinho: 12:25pm On Oct 17, 2013
Dr. Lomaxx D Great!
The Best among Genius,ur post and topics are always spectacular.

I revere u sir,this is just the purest advice to scoring 270+ in UTME and P-UTME...

In addition...
Development of SPEED READING by Eliminating subvocalization and chunking...

Measure the seconds/page,in this way,Time Management is Introduced.

Pray God will help us all.

3 Likes

Re: How To Get Admitted In Medicine And Surgery Next Year by Ikemsinachi(m): 12:47pm On Oct 17, 2013
I scored 241 in dis year's jamb but yet to write my pume. Am afraid of my score cos it's too low. Do I still have chances of making it??

1 Like

Re: How To Get Admitted In Medicine And Surgery Next Year by Princeadebayo1(m): 1:18pm On Oct 17, 2013
Wow!!!.....this is really nice.
Re: How To Get Admitted In Medicine And Surgery Next Year by IamSylva(m): 1:28pm On Oct 17, 2013
Nice thread sir lomaxx.. This is gonna be my first attempt and i hope to make it at once just like u wink
Re: How To Get Admitted In Medicine And Surgery Next Year by frankeinstein(m): 4:18pm On Oct 17, 2013
Dr lomaxx,You are a genius! The most important thing in your post,for me,is starting on time!
I will also suggest two things:
PRAYERS: In the end,everything depends on God. He gives the strength to read, understand and remember!
Candidates should also endeavor to know the modus operandi of the schools they applied to. Do they set their POST-UTME exams from their 100lvl stuff? Do they copy JAMB questions or do they repeat questions they asked in the past? That way, you get to prepare effectively.
PS: After being admitted,how did you spend your time? Did you start reading the 100lvl courses, or did you just wait for school to resume? Please reply sir.
Re: How To Get Admitted In Medicine And Surgery Next Year by lomaxx: 5:23pm On Oct 17, 2013
frankeinstein:
PS: After being admitted,how did you spend your time? Did you start reading the 100lvl courses, or did you just wait for school to resume? Please reply sir.

I covered first semester syllabus in MTH111. Played around with some Physics. The rest was just low-key. A little here , a little there. I wasn't idle.

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: How To Get Admitted In Medicine And Surgery Next Year by frankeinstein(m): 5:39pm On Oct 17, 2013
lomaxx:

I covered first semester syllabus in MTH111. Played around with some Physics. The rest was just low-key. A little here , a little there. I wasn't idle.
Thanks a lot sir! God bless you!!!
Re: How To Get Admitted In Medicine And Surgery Next Year by Kendzyma(m): 6:30pm On Oct 17, 2013
Plz hw many topics do u read in a subject per day
Re: How To Get Admitted In Medicine And Surgery Next Year by lomaxx: 6:59pm On Oct 17, 2013
Kendzyma: Plz hw many topics do u read in a subject per day

I shared all the topics for all the days according to how bulky the topics are.

You can do at least 2 topics in a subject per day.
Re: How To Get Admitted In Medicine And Surgery Next Year by Nobody: 9:30pm On Oct 18, 2013
I keep saying Dr.Lomax is a phenom.. Can you mail me the 100level med syllabus?
Re: How To Get Admitted In Medicine And Surgery Next Year by lomaxx: 10:02pm On Oct 18, 2013
Tenison96: Can you mail me the 100level med syllabus?

It's Pre-clinical syllabus : Anatomy, Physiology , Biochemistry. I could still mail it to you anyway.
Re: How To Get Admitted In Medicine And Surgery Next Year by AmbFitsaint(m): 12:55am On Oct 19, 2013
Dr Lomaxx!
Dr Lomaxx!
Dr Lomaxx!

Things you say and do compel the conclusion that:

You are imparting lives
You are motivating minds
You are the "highbrowlindefusable" bomb
You are the "indefatigablebookishlicalautodetonable and umbombable" bomb
You are sorely the change the medical world needs

You are the most sophisticated phenomenom in medicine I ve ever come across.
You don't just impress us, you impart us.

This is just a tiddly description how relevant u re for ur solicitude and obligated feeling to be a succour to medical aspirants and students on NL with ur deluge of helpful tips and willingness to put your oar in over arching academic matters.

You imbued into us the itch and restless desire to make the rest of our lives count with ur motherlode and invaluable pieces of smashing advice

# In a sotto voce
-Don't take this as a flattering or smarmy remark
It is the incontrovertible and unquestionable truth no one can gainsay

Don't mind my solecism Dr boss Lomaxx

I am indebted to God for His grace at work in your life.

3 Likes

Re: How To Get Admitted In Medicine And Surgery Next Year by AmbFitsaint(m): 1:17am On Oct 19, 2013
WANNA DISCOVER MORE SECRETS OF GETTING MEDICINE?

Medicine is not just competitive, it it is the most sought after course
Not just because of its job prospect and security or six-figure jumbo pay, it is the most lucrative course virtually every parent is desirous of getting their beloved children and ward into.

With dis, one can assume the fact dat it is "d survival of the fittest" to get admission into a reputable medical skul
These are just my 1 kobo humble opinions on studying medicine in Nigerian universities

1. You must live and breathe medicine. It is worth it
2. You must not be loath to admit that MEDICINE is not for the MEDIOCRE. My 1st attempt was nt dat bad with a 250+ agg to study medicine. * I deemed dis as mediocrity in action cos it's far lesser than d cutoff slated then*. I prayed unclad and fasted to be admitted into a medical skul den cos of my desperation. It was later I felt within my spirit that what cud stop me from studying medicine apart from God's plan or will is WALLOWING in state of MEDIOCRITY.
Not until u have a thumping decision to move out of mediocrity, MEDICINE may just be a wishful desire considering the mother of all traffic JAMS of medical aspirants in acidic JAMB, let alone the "bokoharamic" post JAMB of Nigeria's competitive universities.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: How To Get Admitted In Medicine And Surgery Next Year by AmbFitsaint(m): 1:32am On Oct 19, 2013
3. Remove the mentality of "crying for the moon" as far as medicine admission is concerned. PPLE THAT STUDY MEDICINE ARE NOT BETTER THAN YOU.
I used to live with the piteous mentality that medicine is meant for the "iwe factorial gods".
Whenever I came across any medical student in the past, it was almost natural for "my bones to melt" cos of my plethoric adoration for them. If u av d mentality, pls majestically say to yourself, they are mere students like me ; I can do better than them. Leaving such zone will arouse the genius in you, will make you bliv in yourself and of course will emanate great confidence abt d assurance of studying it one day.

3 Likes

Re: How To Get Admitted In Medicine And Surgery Next Year by AmbFitsaint(m): 1:52am On Oct 19, 2013
5. MEDICINE IS NOT MEANT FOR EVERYBODY.
Have u ever asked yourself why with ur industrious and serious measures you painstainkingly observe to get medicine. It always tells you "NO".

Pls, meditate on this "SCRIPTURE".

MANY PLANS ARE IN A MAN'S MIND. IT IS THE LORD'S PURPOSE FOR HIM THAT WILL STAND".

You might read all books in the world, u might know all chemistry and physics formulae, you might read till u get wearied to get medicine but pls don't 4get dat "WILL OF GOD and HIS PURPOSE ARE IMMUTABLE". Have u ever knelt to God and ask Him what He created you to study?

You might dragoon urself into medicine but if it is not the perfect plan of God for u, you might end up to be frustrated and unsuccessful. There are two 2 types of doctors, the successful ones and the unsuccessful ones.
"The successful ones are not made but chosen".

You must not be bent to study medicine cos God may have other plans for you. If He realises dat getting the admission to study medicne may deviate His plan or sideline you for His perfect purpose and will. He MAY not grant you irrespective of how industrious and desperate you av for the course.
Most importantly, seek God's perfect will. His plan for us is innumerable times better than ours. Seek Him 1st and follow His will.

7 Likes

Re: How To Get Admitted In Medicine And Surgery Next Year by AmbFitsaint(m): 2:36am On Oct 19, 2013
So sad that the no 4 point was great and lengthy got effaced. I can't recover it back.
Anyways, the sypnosis is dat
4. Dance to the tune of the music. The music sings" IF YOU CRAVE FOR ME, YOU MUST DO CRAZY READING TO GET ME".
Many an applicant does not know what it takes to get what you want.
The tempo music for medicine may be difficult to dance along with but passion for it will always make you wanna dance no matter how fast it may be.
The tempo to get it in a private skul is fast,in a state skul is faster and in a fed med skul, it's the fastest.

You need to do what other medical aspirants find difficult to do. What?
Most find it difficult to jack the jackables. I never knew reading cud be much fun to do non-stop for hours until when i became obssessed with d act and I pequantly enjoyed it. Reading was what i later discovered to do best cos it piques all available interest in me(Thank goodness for ASUU dat has waned my penchant for this sweet act, lol).

Have u been chasing medicine several times but it seems to be a shadow game?
Don't relent ur efforts or settle for the little.
It's virtually like dat for all aspirants. But I am elated to tell u dat u will someday be over the moon if medicine chases you
Reading was what i later discovered to do best cos it piques all interest in me(Thank goodness for ASUU dat has waned my penchant for this sweet act, lol).

It's virtually like dat for all aspirants. But I am elated to tell u dat u will someday be over the moon if medicine chases you like...

It will one day entice you with many opportunities.
Dr sir Lomaxx had like 2 opps to marry medicine in 2 reputable medical skuls but he opted for one(lol). Has medicine not chased him?
I av more dan 4 close friends who have 2 opportunities to marry medicine dis year in the two of the leading federal univs in the southwest. These guys have been chasing medicine for some years(some 4, 3 years). Now medicine is seducing them in her beauty and honour. To the glory of God I am not exempted..
The keys are apart from God's grace and will:
Diligence,hardwork,perseverance,endless appetite for jacking, long suffering( reading while others are sleeping, jacking while others are loathing around, toasting ur lamlads,ababio,PN okeke,afolabi physics,modern physics and bio) while others are toasting babes around, fasting while others eating).

Blessed are the medical aspirants who are thirty of dia buks and long to jack, for they shall be filled with joy when they experience admission galore for medicine, when they are inundated with offers to study medicine from diff univs.
In conclusion
God is not short of anything we desire or need if truly we lay dem down at His throne and do things that enlift Him on His throne.
I am sure our insatiable and unbridled taste for our books will touch Him to give us the course,grades dat we desire cos it is God's will for His children to shine so that all can give glory to His name in heaven.

# thanks for reading

## I talk too much oooo.

### Are you a child of God?
####God is able.

9 Likes

Re: How To Get Admitted In Medicine And Surgery Next Year by AmbFitsaint(m): 3:21am On Oct 19, 2013
Amb Fitsaint: So sad that the no 4 point was great and lengthy got effaced. I can't recover it back.
Anyways, the sypnosis is dat
4. Dance to the tune of the music. The music sings" IF YOU CRAVE FOR ME, YOU MUST DO CRAZY READING TO GET ME".
Many an applicant does not know what it takes to get what you want.
The tempo music for medicine may be difficult to dance along with but passion for it will always make you wanna dance no matter how fast it may be.
The tempo to get it in a private skul is fast,in a state skul is faster and in a fed med skul, it's the fastest.

You need to do what other medical aspirants find difficult to do. What?
Most find it difficult to jack the jackables. I was never knew reading cud be much fun to read non-stop for hours until when i became obssessed with d act and I pequantly enjoyed it. Reading was what i later discovered to do best cos it piques all interest in me(Thank goodness for ASUU dat has waned my penchant for this sweet act, lol).

It's virtually like dat for all aspirants. But I am elated to tell u dat u will someday be over the moon if medicine chases you
Reading was what i later discovered to do best cos it piques all interest in me(Thank goodness for ASUU dat has waned my penchant for this sweet act, lol).

It's virtually like dat for all aspirants. But I am elated to tell u dat u will someday be over the moon if medicine chases you like...

It will one day entice you with many opportunities.
Dr sir Lomaxx had like 2 opps to marry medicine in 2 reputable medical skuls but he opted for one(lol). Has medicine not chased him?
I av more dan 4 close friends who have 2 opportunities to marry medicine dis year in the two of the leading federal univs in the southwest. These guys have been chasing medicine for some years(some 4, 3 years). Now medicine is seducing them in her beauty and honour. To the glory of God I am not exempted(having like 3 ravishing medicine opps at Jesus knee' for me).
The keys are apart from God's grace and will:
Diligence,hardwork,perseverance,endless appetite for jacking, long suffering( reading while others are sleeping, jacking while others are loathing around, toasting ur lamlads,ababio,okeke,afolabi physics,modern physics while others are toasting babes around, fasting while others eating).

Blessed are the medical aspirants who are thirty of dia buks and long to jack, for they shall be filled with joy when they experience admission galore for medicine, when they are inundated with offers to study medicine from diff univs.
In conclusion
God is not short of anything we desire or need if truly we lay dem down at His throne and do things that enlift Him on His throne.
I am sure our unsatiable taste for our books will touch Him to give us the course,grades dat we desire cos it is God's will for His children to shine so that all can give glory to His name in heaven.

# thanks for reading

## I talk too much oooo.

### Are you God's child?
####God is able.

pls don't mind my grammatical blundering bombs. Lol

1 Like

Re: How To Get Admitted In Medicine And Surgery Next Year by Ubechu1(m): 8:10am On Oct 19, 2013
@lomaxx Wow!! Thank God for us having someone lyk you in NL, may God continue to see u through in your daily endeavours
Re: How To Get Admitted In Medicine And Surgery Next Year by Nobody: 8:27am On Oct 19, 2013
lomaxx:

It's Pre-clinical syllabus : Anatomy, Physiology , Biochemistry. I could still mail it to you anyway.

Yup tenisonben36@gmail.com

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

School Hostel Building Collapses In Numan, Adamawa. One Student Dies / University Of Ibadan International School Hijab Ban An Invitation To Chaos-MURIC / Kogi First Lady, Alexreports, Amafibe, Others Honoured By University Of Abuja

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 95
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.