Stats: 3,148,903 members, 7,802,929 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 03:50 AM

Was Your Choice Of Course Influenced By Your Parents? - Education (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Was Your Choice Of Course Influenced By Your Parents? (8422 Views)

2015/2016 JAMB Direct Entry Admission Processes Into Universities Of Your Choice / Solve This Maths And Win #200 Any Network Of Your Choice Credit Card / What Influenced Your Choice Of Course In School? (2) (3) (4)

Re: Was Your Choice Of Course Influenced By Your Parents? by Nobody: 4:42pm On Oct 18, 2013
dridowu: Yep, dou i neva plan to study my moniker but my fada influence it . Well to d glory of God am enjoying it.
nairaland medicine? Cos i doubt if u can ever cope with medicine.
Re: Was Your Choice Of Course Influenced By Your Parents? by tbagjames(m): 4:42pm On Oct 18, 2013
twaintoy: It was almost. My mum wanted me to study law, we went to Igbinedion university okada to write the entrance exam, i was immediately given admission letter, my brother then raised an alarm that admission can never be given exactly 5minutes after writing the test, them never even finish marking the scripts wen dem dey dash us admission. My mum gave in to my brother that we should look for another school. Since she wanted benin city for me, we then went to Benson Idahosa university. when we got there, the VC told us that candidates for law has been filled up according to the speculations NUC gave them, as dem never give dem full accreditation then. My mama vex so tey my papa dey cool am down, on top this law?. VC gave us the list of courses the school was offering and he said we should go home to choose one. Immediately we got home, i just dragged my mum inside the room, and told her i wanted MASS COMMUNICATION. She later reasoned with me and said one thing, she said "its not good for parents not to give their children the opportunity to choose what they want"(course of study inclusive), we later went back to Idahosa University, i wrote the entrance exam and was given admission some months after. Now, i am a mass communication graduate, graduated 3years ago, i am now a lecturer in my state polytechnic and i love my course of study. Had it been i studied law, would have been the worst lawyer ever. This is my story. Parents, abeg make una no dey choose course of study for una children, its not the best.
no b small connection u get oo
Re: Was Your Choice Of Course Influenced By Your Parents? by Jboy5050(m): 4:43pm On Oct 18, 2013
Neva,my career was neva influenced by my parents,na dem wan do d course for me-probably NO,gone are dos days wen parents force Career for children..
Re: Was Your Choice Of Course Influenced By Your Parents? by richypee(m): 4:45pm On Oct 18, 2013
damibravo: No!

Being Making my academics decisions since JS1.

Now see what it has done to your english

Re: Was Your Choice Of Course Influenced By Your Parents? by dridowu: 4:48pm On Oct 18, 2013
BushyA55.Banger:

nairaland medicine? Cos i doubt if u can ever cope with medicine.
Proud of My Profession "Veterinarian"
Re: Was Your Choice Of Course Influenced By Your Parents? by saintneo(m): 4:50pm On Oct 18, 2013
I am an Electrical Engineer, my parents didn't influence me; however, I will not say that they didn't influenced my interest in science

Mum being a Teacher always wanted me to be a Medical Doctor and Dad, an Engineer turned Accountant just wanted me to be myself. In my primary school days, Medical Doctor was my essay title for "What i want to be when I grow up". However, my Mum bought a lot science books for me; these science books were in physics(mechanics, fluid mechanics, electricity, magnetism, astronomy and nuclear physics) chemistry and biology. Somehow, the physics books fascinated me the most; built my first battery & bulb circuit when I was 4 years (by the way I spoiled my Dad's torchlight so as to achieve this), I had my first electric shock at this age as well (I tried connecting a 6V torchlight bulb to a 240V supply grin grin grin grin), burnt my Dad's mattress with out electric iron, smashed my Dad's radio and my toy telephone. grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

While in secondary school, I detested all subjects that did not involve mathematics. I even failed questions in physics and chemistry that involved definitions such as Latent Heat, Heat Capacity, even Ohm's law, once language is involved(English or Igbo) I was a total failure. Thank God I got into the UNI to study EEE.

At the moment, I have improved a lot in my language skills, English, Igbo, French, even a little of Yoruba & Hausa. If given the opportunity to study further, I would go for History, Law, Business etc.
Re: Was Your Choice Of Course Influenced By Your Parents? by Tuntheycr7: 4:57pm On Oct 18, 2013
Merkki:

Lecturer, please learn to put paragraphs and good punctuation marks.
Baadt belle

Re: Was Your Choice Of Course Influenced By Your Parents? by Nobody: 4:59pm On Oct 18, 2013
dridowu: Proud of My Profession "Veterinarian"
u appear jobless, ur posts are annoying.
Re: Was Your Choice Of Course Influenced By Your Parents? by pianogirl(f): 5:02pm On Oct 18, 2013
wi5dom:

dats gud..
i bliv u can still do music not necessary getting a certificate in music and i think for one to be more inspired, is knowing how to play any musical instrument
Yeah..I play the piano already. I also have a flair for composing and sequencing beats/instrumentals so I hope to go into Music Production and Sound Engineering in the nearest future. I just need a very good producer and studio I can where I can do a sort of informal internship for a few years before setting up my own recording studio...more like an apprentice kinda stuff.

Re: Was Your Choice Of Course Influenced By Your Parents? by gentlefada(m): 5:04pm On Oct 18, 2013
i guess they did indirectly because they wanted me to study law but they never said it outrightly that i must study law. i am studing law becuse i love the course but i think they partly influenced that love i have for law.
Re: Was Your Choice Of Course Influenced By Your Parents? by Nobody: 5:08pm On Oct 18, 2013
Yes. In a way undecided
Re: Was Your Choice Of Course Influenced By Your Parents? by IdiAmin2(m): 5:08pm On Oct 18, 2013
Of course na!
which kin question ne dat?
if you were born in the 70s like me, then almost certain your parents already chose the life path of all their kids.
For me, both parents are doctors, so they forced me to study medicine which I hated like a plague.
Graduated, put the certificate in a box and went after my hearts desire
Re: Was Your Choice Of Course Influenced By Your Parents? by airclipse(m): 5:08pm On Oct 18, 2013
Okija_juju: Yes!!!

My Mother had been signing it like a song since we were kids that she wants only Engineers..

So when it came time to go to the university; She bought the JAMB form and filled out Petroleum Engineering.. When I dropped out and went to Ghana, she again bought the form for Geological Engineering.. So today, here I am, a Geological Engineer. Funny enough, I havent worked a day as a Geological engineer..
ℓ‎ôℓ I Knσω nσω....shey na native doctor u come turn to...herbal engineer tinz....all join....

Re: Was Your Choice Of Course Influenced By Your Parents? by IdiAmin2(m): 5:17pm On Oct 18, 2013
piano_girl: During my secondary school days, I was a very good science student but I was so crazy about music that I wanted to take it further by studying music in the university but my dad objected it..He sat me down one night and advised me to go for a more "reputable" course. He wanted me to study either Medicine or Pharmacy but I was like I'ld rather study Engineering since I loved Physics and was also very good in Maths. My mum felt Engineering was too "masculine" but I no send her sha..I still stood my ground. When it was time to write JAMB, I applied for Electrical/Electronics and Computer Engineering but at the end of the day, I ended up studying Computer Technology.

Too sad
if you had followed youir heart and desire, who knows, you for don hammer now like Asa, p-square and D'banj. Now u dey repair laptop for computer village. O ma she ooo
Re: Was Your Choice Of Course Influenced By Your Parents? by einsteino(m): 5:21pm On Oct 18, 2013
my dad influenced my choice and I will be forever grateful to him. Today am a graduate of civil engineering currently serving. Remember i said influenced and not decided for me! They mean two entirely different things. 7years ago i was a totally confused bloke, i was brilliant but confused. My grades were great in all the science courses but as it is the norm with most students, our dream courses were chosen for either of the following reasons
1. The course sounds lucrative e.g Petroleum engineering, geology (oil money), Banking and Finance, Accounting
2. The course has a title associated with it e.g if you study medicine you have the title Dr.
3. Everyone u know wants to study the course

At the time i had decided i was going to study geology solely because my dear friend uchenna used to drum the oil money talk into my ear and my cousin amaka was in 200level Geology. I just felt if you study Geology you automatically have a ticket to shell! Luckily for me when i bought my JAMB form in november, my dad asked me "what do you want to study?" and i foolishly replied Geology! He asked why? and all i could say is because i want to work in shell. I had no proper career sensitization at the time. My dad did me a favour, he asked to leave the jamb form for 3 months and have a re think of my career choice.

within those 3months i learnt that career choice should be guided by these
1. PASSION: my dad defined this as anything you would gladly do not minding if you are paid, respected or not. what you think of every course differs with what you will see in the university, if you have no passion for a course you might end up dropping out when the going gets tough. or turning your brain to RAM, just cram to pass exam and forget everything you have read.

2. How good can you be at it: my dad would say its better for you to be the best Janitor(a cleaner) in the world than to be the worst Doctor in the world. There is money and recognition in every profession, the only thing is that the money and recognition in each profession is for the best hands in those profession. E.g petroleum engineering is a good course and Shell is an oil company but Shell can not employ only engrs, they employ only the number of engrs they need. when they need engrs, they seek out for the best engrs, when they need accountants, they seek out for the best. So if you study the best course in the world but you are the worst at it, you may die not having a dime.

3. Is the course self reliant? my dad started drumming the level of unemployment in Nigeria long before i was taught in economics what unemployment meant. He would say the easier it is for you to stand on your own with your profession, the better for you. Dont bank on a white collar job! i dont know any politician at all!

4. Are there affordable institutions that can provide quality training in that field? : E.g you want to be an aeronautical engr and your parents have no money to send you abroad to school, then you are DREAMING!(cos there is no naija uni that awards a degree in that field) or you want to study computer science/engineering in an institution that still teaches kobol, Q-basic, pascal and FORTRAN progamming languages! you will tell me how you will manage to be the best hand in that industry.

at the end of the 3 months i selected 3 courses and seeked my dad's advice, 1. Civil Engr 2. Electronics Engr 3.Computer engineering. at the end of the day i chose Civil Engr and faraway UNN to be my first choice, Delsu as 2nd Choice. Gained admission into Civil engr in both my first choice and 2nd choice Universities. it was fun all the way in civil engr for me though many of my peeps dropped out and changed to other depts that they felt was less challenging but my passion and God made me succeed.

*please forgive any grammatical errors, i typed this from my phone and it wasn't edited(afterall nairaland no dey pay person to post)

Re: Was Your Choice Of Course Influenced By Your Parents? by tardell007(m): 5:23pm On Oct 18, 2013
Baybe: Yes. In a way undecided
I sent you a mail,ma'm.
Re: Was Your Choice Of Course Influenced By Your Parents? by pazienza(m): 5:25pm On Oct 18, 2013
Merkki:

Lecturer, please learn to put paragraphs and good punctuation marks.

SMH. Nigerians must find something to criticize, you lots should leave the lady alone, her story was a good one.

Re: Was Your Choice Of Course Influenced By Your Parents? by gideonjeta(m): 5:45pm On Oct 18, 2013
My parents did not influenced my choice.I chose the course(Accounting) myself.The funny thing is currently i am working and I am not using the course of study where i worked
Re: Was Your Choice Of Course Influenced By Your Parents? by Nobody: 5:46pm On Oct 18, 2013
homesteady: Emm! Yes! My dad made me to join science class. I wanted to read mass com. or theatre art, but my dad said I should join science class and I joined and I don't regret entering science class!
When it was time to fill JAMB form, he was advising me to choose engineering, but I told him NOOO! I was not ready to write maths in jamb grin So I applied for Medicine, but I didn't get it, instead I got forestry and wildlife, but latter changed to dentistry! smiley
you bought jamb form again or it was change of course?
Re: Was Your Choice Of Course Influenced By Your Parents? by drkay(m): 6:07pm On Oct 18, 2013
Yes, I wanted engineering bt they indirectly compelled me to study medicine and dey won. Today, I love what I do.
Re: Was Your Choice Of Course Influenced By Your Parents? by SONFGOD12: 6:12pm On Oct 18, 2013
Nobody forced me..i'av always wanted to be a business man..
Re: Was Your Choice Of Course Influenced By Your Parents? by Nobody: 6:12pm On Oct 18, 2013
twaintoy: It was almost. My mum wanted me to study law, we went to Igbinedion university okada to write the entrance exam, i was immediately given admission letter, my brother then raised an alarm that admission can never be given exactly 5minutes after writing the test, them never even finish marking the scripts wen dem dey dash us admission. My mum gave in to my brother that we should look for another school. Since she wanted benin city for me, we then went to Benson Idahosa university. when we got there, the VC told us that candidates for law has been filled up according to the speculations NUC gave them, as dem never give dem full accreditation then. My mama vex so tey my papa dey cool am down, on top this law?. VC gave us the list of courses the school was offering and he said we should go home to choose one. Immediately we got home, i just dragged my mum inside the room, and told her i wanted MASS COMMUNICATION. She later reasoned with me and said one thing, she said "its not good for parents not to give their children the opportunity to choose what they want"(course of study inclusive), we later went back to Idahosa University, i wrote the entrance exam and was given admission some months after. Now, i am a mass communication graduate, graduated 3years ago, i am now a lecturer in my state polytechnic and i love my course of study. Had it been i studied law, would have been the worst lawyer ever. This is my story. Parents, abeg make una no dey choose course of study for una children, its not the best.
Very interesting sir, Hope those parents dey hear?
Re: Was Your Choice Of Course Influenced By Your Parents? by Nobody: 6:14pm On Oct 18, 2013
No, lailai.... They wanted medicine i no gree, i can't do without figures.
Re: Was Your Choice Of Course Influenced By Your Parents? by Nobody: 6:19pm On Oct 18, 2013
Wow; so you ain't practicing medicine at all.....can I ask what you later settled for and hope you don't mind me asking....
Idi-Amin:
Of course na!
which kin question ne dat?
if you were born in the 70s like me, then almost certain your parents already chose the life path of all their kids.
For me, both parents are doctors, so they forced me to study medicine which I hated like a plague.
Graduated, put the certificate in a box and went after my hearts desire

Re: Was Your Choice Of Course Influenced By Your Parents? by Nobody: 6:19pm On Oct 18, 2013
noo.my parents wntd engineering or medcine but i hated dose two course but back den i didnt knw any course dat could accomodate my love of geography n earth sciences.i almost filled medicine but my sis told me to check out geology i just fell in love wit d course instanta n put it in my form.m in my finals now wit a steady 4point g.p n i thank god.till today i am forever thanking my sis.if u study wat u have no love for it is very easy to get frustrated

Re: Was Your Choice Of Course Influenced By Your Parents? by Nobody: 6:24pm On Oct 18, 2013
Re: Was Your Choice Of Course Influenced By Your Parents? by Nobody: 6:30pm On Oct 18, 2013
I notice that music is a passion you have from your comment, hence, never loose hope in achieving your best in it.....
piano_girl: During my secondary school days, I was a very good science student but I was so crazy about music that I wanted to take it further by studying music in the university but my dad objected it..He sat me down one night and advised me to go for a more "reputable" course. He wanted me to study either Medicine or Pharmacy but I was like I'ld rather study Engineering since I loved Physics and was also very good in Maths. My mum felt Engineering was too "masculine" but I no send her sha..I still stood my ground. When it was time to write JAMB, I applied for Electrical/Electronics and Computer Engineering but at the end of the day, I ended up studying Computer Technology.
Re: Was Your Choice Of Course Influenced By Your Parents? by gentlefada(m): 6:37pm On Oct 18, 2013
is it just me or many peeps here engineering students.....na only engineers dey nairaland
Re: Was Your Choice Of Course Influenced By Your Parents? by 18wheeler: 6:38pm On Oct 18, 2013
I wanted Economics basically because the dept is in main campus, Samaru Zaria where most of my guys were. But when my dad went to 'run' my admission @ the DVC's office, he asked for Accounting and thats how i became an Accountant. I dont regret it though.
Re: Was Your Choice Of Course Influenced By Your Parents? by dridowu: 6:44pm On Oct 18, 2013
BushyA55.Banger:

u appear jobless, ur posts are annoying.
what else can i say than Thank You
Re: Was Your Choice Of Course Influenced By Your Parents? by Nobody: 6:47pm On Oct 18, 2013
dridowu: what else can i say than Thank You
dont take it personal jor :*:*:*:*
Re: Was Your Choice Of Course Influenced By Your Parents? by garota: 6:53pm On Oct 18, 2013
My father did and am still finding it difficult till today.

Nairaland Economics Academy / Which Nigerian Tribe Did The Word Wahala Originate From / Study And Work In Canada Legally Via EWC( Closed)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 79