Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,517 members, 7,808,888 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 06:38 PM

Temporary Blindness: Causes, Prevention And Treatment - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Temporary Blindness: Causes, Prevention And Treatment (17990 Views)

Lassa Fever: Symptoms, Prevention And Treatment By WHO / Epidemic Blindness In Yobe!! / Glaucoma Will Cause Blindness In 11.2m People By 2020 – Optometrist (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Temporary Blindness: Causes, Prevention And Treatment by Richiez(m): 3:31pm On Oct 17, 2013
Temporary blindness is a common condition than most people would imagine, that is why the world has set out the second thursday of October every year as 'World Sight Day' to focus global attention on blindness and vision impairment.

Also known as flash blindness or fleeting blindness, temporary blindness simply refers to a short term vision loss. Apart from the physical pains which it causes, a more devastating damage is that it could lead to permanent blindness if not properly taken care of.

Temporary blindness may last for a few seconds, some minutes or may even last for hours. More so, a person may suffer a single attack or several attacks of it in one single day. It may also affect just one eye, in which case it is called Amaurosis Fugax. Amaurosis Fugax may be a sign of something more serious such as STROKE. This infact makes it a case of emergency.

What causes temporary blindness? several factors causes temporary blindness. It could be direct physical attack on the eyes, hereditary, it may also be caused by other ailments in the body, unhealthy lifestyle and even age factor (high blood pressure common among the aged ones).
Direct physical attack may be due to exposure to chemicals and physical irritants, intense light after prolonged exposure to darkness and more commonly, burns by sun's ultraviolet rays. Sickle cell, diabetes, stroke, smoking,migraine headaches may cause spasm and restrict oxygen and blood flow to blood vessels that leads to the eyes. High level of cholesterol may cause blockage of these vessels.

How then do we prevent this problem? The simple ways of doing this are; by wearing sunglasses and hats during sunny days, by limiting the intake of junk foods( such as; candies, cookies, cheese, ice creams e.t.c), going for regular eye test and of course doing away with smoking.

Temporary blindness may be treated depending on it's cause. Aspirin or blood thinners may be prescribed to prevent blood clots, high
cholesterol level and high blood pressure. Ultrasound scan of blood vessels in the neck to look for narrowing or blockages after which surgical operation may be introduced. Cool wet compresses, artificial tears, special eyedrops as well as oral medication may be prescribed to reduce pain after sun burn. patients may stay in dark room, avoid rubbing the eyes and wear sunglasses until symptoms improve (this may take one to three days).

Restoration of sight and permanent blindness prevention are among the most cost-effective interventions in health care. Pay more attention to your eyes today and enjoy good vision even at old age.

Article from: http://academicsnigeria.com/atricle-temporary-blindness-causes-prevention-and-treatment

1 Like

Re: Temporary Blindness: Causes, Prevention And Treatment by Richiez(m): 4:12pm On Oct 17, 2013
So guys when you see someone always wearing sunglasses, it's not always for fashion
Re: Temporary Blindness: Causes, Prevention And Treatment by Fynestboi: 4:14pm On Oct 18, 2013
Richiez: So guys when you see someone always wearing sunglasses, it's not always for fashion
not all some are found of it... I was once among the group... gringringrin
Re: Temporary Blindness: Causes, Prevention And Treatment by Nobody: 6:46pm On Oct 18, 2013
3rd to Comment: coming up! Buh 2 d question, the answer is quite simple
TEMPORARY BLINDNESS
Causes: EXCESS DRINKAJE OF GARRI!
Prevention: STOP DRINKING GARRI EXCESSIVELY!
Treatment: IF U MUST DRINK GARRI, ADD LESS SUGAR,EXCESS MILK, CHOCOLATE, GROUNDNUT AND LESS PEPPER!

1 Like

Re: Temporary Blindness: Causes, Prevention And Treatment by IamSylva(m): 6:49pm On Oct 18, 2013
Nyc 1

i neva knew but now i knowsmiley
Re: Temporary Blindness: Causes, Prevention And Treatment by Nasri100(m): 6:52pm On Oct 18, 2013
Bossforeva: .

well this guy is blind people.
Re: Temporary Blindness: Causes, Prevention And Treatment by Nobody: 7:00pm On Oct 18, 2013
Hmmm...
Re: Temporary Blindness: Causes, Prevention And Treatment by Nobody: 7:02pm On Oct 18, 2013
Nasri100:

HMMM Incase u dnt knw me, am an Ophthalmologist. HMMM Incase u dn't knw what that word means, am an Eye Doctor.
Re: Temporary Blindness: Causes, Prevention And Treatment by Danjunior(m): 7:03pm On Oct 18, 2013
Na garri dey cause am. Jst stop taking garri and it will go lipsrsealed
Re: Temporary Blindness: Causes, Prevention And Treatment by felzylix(m): 7:14pm On Oct 18, 2013
Re: Temporary Blindness: Causes, Prevention And Treatment by OgidiOlu3(m): 7:18pm On Oct 18, 2013
Thanks op, rily informative! I ddnt read it though, just wanted to comment. undecided
Re: Temporary Blindness: Causes, Prevention And Treatment by mcevans1(m): 7:20pm On Oct 18, 2013
Bossforeva: 3rd to Comment: coming up! Buh 2 d question, the answer is quite simple
TEMPORARY BLINDNESS
Causes: EXCESS DRINKAJE OF GARRI!
Treatment: IF U MUST DRINK GARRI, ADD LESS SUGAR,EXCESS MILK, CHOCOLATE, GROUNDNUT AND LESS PEPPER!

DRINKAJE? Bros, abeg stay away from that garri you are drinking cheesy

1 Like

Re: Temporary Blindness: Causes, Prevention And Treatment by TheProdigy(m): 7:38pm On Oct 18, 2013
Re: Temporary Blindness: Causes, Prevention And Treatment by decode55(m): 7:45pm On Oct 18, 2013
that's scary embarassed
Re: Temporary Blindness: Causes, Prevention And Treatment by bobokelly(m): 7:52pm On Oct 18, 2013
Thanks, so what is causes of eye watery and itching?.
Re: Temporary Blindness: Causes, Prevention And Treatment by Les: 7:54pm On Oct 18, 2013
Op wait o, light pains me in my eyes. When I look at bright materials esp under sunlight, the pain is very irritating, and I hardly see under sunlight unless I wear my lenses, is it part of the so called temporary blindness?? My doctor said when I will be reaching 40 years, I'll be becoming blind cry cry, tell me it's not true I rather die than to be blind.
Re: Temporary Blindness: Causes, Prevention And Treatment by adihuc(m): 8:13pm On Oct 18, 2013
Abeg wot's d cause of "big eye bulb n it's prevention" cry
Re: Temporary Blindness: Causes, Prevention And Treatment by adihuc(m): 8:14pm On Oct 18, 2013
Abeg wot's d cause of "big eye bulb n it's prevention" cry, moreso can som1 tell me hw many am I to comment pls... grin
Re: Temporary Blindness: Causes, Prevention And Treatment by akereconfi: 8:32pm On Oct 18, 2013
Nasri100:

You need an additional EYE and BRAIN................see bullet wey u dey FIRE
Re: Temporary Blindness: Causes, Prevention And Treatment by macdelene(m): 8:38pm On Oct 18, 2013
uses: EXCESS DRINKAJE OF GARRI!
Treatment: IF U MUST DRINK GARRI, ADD LESS SUGAR,EXCESS MILK, CHOCOLATE, GROUNDNUT AND LESS PEPPER! [/b] [/quote]. Wait ooo dem don dey use pepper drink garri. Naija una no go call person. Very soon I go hear so dem dey use pepper dey drink pap(akamu) cheesy grin
Re: Temporary Blindness: Causes, Prevention And Treatment by odizeey(m): 8:50pm On Oct 18, 2013
Richiez,u don carry ur topic for fp abi,i dey beef u
Re: Temporary Blindness: Causes, Prevention And Treatment by enemercy1(f): 8:59pm On Oct 18, 2013
adihuc: Abeg wot's d cause of "big eye bulb n it's prevention" cry
na wa o

1 Like

Re: Temporary Blindness: Causes, Prevention And Treatment by Youngzedd(m): 9:01pm On Oct 18, 2013
mac-delene:
uses: EXCESS DRINKAJE OF GARRI!
Treatment: IF U MUST DRINK GARRI, ADD LESS SUGAR,EXCESS MILK, CHOCOLATE, GROUNDNUT AND LESS PEPPER! [/b] . Wait ooo dem don dey use pepper drink garri. Naija una no go call person. Very soon I go hear so dem dey use pepper dey drink pap(akamu) cheesy grin

Don't be surprise.
One tribe in Naija uses pepper to drink G.

Don't ask me which ethnic group.
Re: Temporary Blindness: Causes, Prevention And Treatment by kevoh(m): 9:05pm On Oct 18, 2013
Temporary blindness! Another reason not to smoke, the list of negative effects of smoking keeps piling and yet a lot of folks still smoke!
Re: Temporary Blindness: Causes, Prevention And Treatment by Aromas: 9:10pm On Oct 18, 2013
Youngzedd:

Don't be surprise.
One tribe in Naija uses pepper to drink G.

Don't ask me which ethnic group.

If I cum ask u n'ko o, u wan beat me?
Re: Temporary Blindness: Causes, Prevention And Treatment by njuwo(m): 9:12pm On Oct 18, 2013
Fynestboi: not all some are found of it... I was once among the group... gringringrin
Fynestboi: not all some are fond of it... I was once among the group... gringringrin
I don correct u nw, wetin u get to give me
Re: Temporary Blindness: Causes, Prevention And Treatment by Thebrightest(m): 9:30pm On Oct 18, 2013
Pls what can i do i always see upside down
Re: Temporary Blindness: Causes, Prevention And Treatment by mmmustapha(m): 10:10pm On Oct 18, 2013
Thebrightest: Pls what can i do i always see upside down
turn ur eyes down upside,stop stirring at ppl wives and say no to Garri

2 Likes

Re: Temporary Blindness: Causes, Prevention And Treatment by Morgan1092(m): 10:16pm On Oct 18, 2013
Les: Op wait o, light pains me in my eyes. When I look at bright materials esp under sunlight, the pain is very irritating, and I hardly see under sunlight unless I wear my lenses, is it part of the so called temporary blindness?? My doctor said when I will be reaching 40 years, I'll be becoming blind cry cry, tell me it's not true I rather die than to be blind.
Am not an eye Doctor but have had d experience, ur case sound more of glaucoma. If it is, dia re ways to champion it.
Re: Temporary Blindness: Causes, Prevention And Treatment by Ninilowo(m): 10:20pm On Oct 18, 2013
Thebrightest: Pls what can i do i always see upside down
Walk with ur head nah
Re: Temporary Blindness: Causes, Prevention And Treatment by creativino: 10:29pm On Oct 18, 2013
Thanks smiley

(1) (2) (Reply)

Huge Refuse Dump Behind LUTH (Photos) / Lagos State Releases Prototype Of The New Massey Street Children's Hospital. PIC / 3 Korean Doctors Murdered In Yobe

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.