Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,282 members, 7,807,945 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 11:22 PM

General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 - Travel (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 (453820 Views)

General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 7 / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 6 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (501) (Go Down)

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 by lisadem: 11:13pm On Oct 18, 2013
frankie2K: Good Day Guys,

Thanks for the help so far as I will announce my success in this forum.I have paid the said 26,400 in GTB for the visa fee but I have a problem now.I have a friend in ireland and she wants to help me pay for the SEVIS fee.She is as asking me whether she can pay for me with her credit card?Please help me out

Amen to your prayer.Nope. She can't pay with her credit card because Nigerians are not allowed to make payment online irrespective of the location.

The options are either using western union or ask her to purchase a money order...
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 by kunlebal(m): 11:35pm On Oct 18, 2013

Thanks for the help so far as I will announce my success in this forum.I have paid the said 26,400 in GTB for the visa fee but I have a problem now.I have a friend in ireland and she wants to help me pay for the SEVIS fee.She is as asking me whether she can pay for me with her credit card?Please help me out
Tell her to use money order n you should fill I-901 form with adobe reader n send it to her, so that she can send the money order with it. My 2 cent advice, courtesy of francis n babsharon wink

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 by Walspring: 11:46pm On Oct 18, 2013

Nigerians are not allowed to pay sevis fee with credit card. Its better she pay via western union for you which the payment will reflect within 1-3 business days
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 by RickyRozay: 11:56pm On Oct 18, 2013
I just wanna use this medium to say a BIG congratulations to one of our brother here on USA student Visa thread on Nairaland.. @Xtus..

Congrats @Xtus on your Canada Student Visa APPROVAL.. More grease to ur elbow bro...

Go rep us Well @ Canada.. And looking forward to seeing to excel in your studies till you complete your Phd program...

God is so Wonderful!!!!
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 by RickyRozay: 12:11am On Oct 19, 2013
imperiouxx:

In fact, it might be implicating.

What do you mean by " It might be implicating "

I actually thought some peeps that got their US student visa and Traveled to the US, said their Sponsors Bank Statement was Requested from them @ the port of Entry in the US...
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 by RickyRozay: 12:17am On Oct 19, 2013
lisadem:

I don't think it's necessary...

Didn't they Request for your Bank Statement @ port of Entry...

Besides, Which Airport did your Flight land @?
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 by shynepapin101: 12:24am On Oct 19, 2013
Ricky Rozay:

I actually thought some peeps that got their US student visa and Traveled to the US, said their Sponsors Bank Statement was Requested from them @ the port of Entry in the US...

Yeah, I heard something like this too. I hear the port of entry is a smaller case scenerio to the embassy interview.

Pls, someone pls tell me you can have it with you and present it when asked or it's never needed.

You guys over there already and those who went for spring/winter 13 and fall 13, pls share that experience.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 by imperiouxx(m): 12:28am On Oct 19, 2013
Ricky Rozay:

I haven't heard that before and I wasn't asked when I came through the notorious Houston Airport. All they asked was the school and visa document and formal JJC questions, another biometric to show you're in. Moreover, what's the use of a Nigerian bank statement in the US whereas the bank statement isn't a receipt that the school fee has been paid. I'm not saying one can't go with it, that's the reason why I used "might" but you can't keep going everywhere with someone else's document.

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 by Yersinia: 12:29am On Oct 19, 2013
Can someone please suggest some list of Universities for MSc or PhD degree in Microbiology/Biotech/Allied fields? I hold a Bachelor's Degree in Microbiology with a GPA of 4.01 on a scale of 5 and am also at the verge of completing a Master's degree in Medical Biotechnology (Italy).My GRE score is however very low - 306. What are my chances of getting a PhD position? Thanks!!!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 by imperiouxx(m): 12:36am On Oct 19, 2013
Yersinia: Can someone please suggest some list of Universities for MSc or PhD degree in Microbiology/Biotech/Allied fields? I hold a Bachelor's Degree in Microbiology with a GPA of 4.01 on a scale of 5 and am also at the verge of completing a Master's degree in Medical Biotechnology (Italy).My GRE score is however very low - 306. What are my chances of getting a PhD position? Thanks!!!

lolz.....Yersinia enterocolitica, Yersinia pestis and Yersinia pseudotuberculosis. What a funny username.

Well, it will be hard for you to see someone who will recommend schools for you. Still the best you can get here is hyperlink to

www.usnews.com or www.gradschools.com

hope those help.

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 by shynepapin101: 12:42am On Oct 19, 2013
I know the bosses of this very forum to have being helpful, and must have done shared this before. On my behalf and others having their interviews soon, I'll like to be told how and where to get the u.s embassy prep links or advices.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 by Yersinia: 12:45am On Oct 19, 2013
imperiouxx:

lolz.....Yersinia enterocolitica, Yersinia pestis and Yersinia pseudotuberculosis What a funny username.

Well, it will be hard for you to see someone who will recommend schools for you. Still the best you can get here is hyperlink to

www.usnews.com or www.gradschools.com

hope those help.

Lol...Couldn't think of something better. I have actually done some research on my own...was just hoping a current or prospective student could give a better insight. Thanks anyways smiley
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 by Yersinia: 12:59am On Oct 19, 2013
Special note to international applicants:
UNIVERSITY OF VIRGINIA
Financial aid for students who are neither U.S. citizens nor U.S. permanent residents is very limited. Although approximately 19% of each entering class is international, on average, we are able to admit less than 5% of our non-U.S. applicant pool. Please take this into consideration before applying to the Program.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 by imperiouxx(m): 1:01am On Oct 19, 2013
Yersinia:

I saw that too and was so pissed at the school. I don't know what's special about the school. I've kicked it off my list angry
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 by Yersinia: 1:18am On Oct 19, 2013
imperiouxx:

I saw that too and was so pissed at the school. I don't know what's special about the school. I've kicked it off my list angry

I think a good number of schools adopt this policy without starting it on their site as Virginia did.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 by imperiouxx(m): 1:19am On Oct 19, 2013
Yersinia:

I think a good number of schools adopt this policy without starting it on their site as Virginia did.

Yea, most schools in NY, CT, PA and MA. Those in MA and NY categorically told me that. grin
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 by Yersinia: 1:23am On Oct 19, 2013
imperiouxx:

Yea, most schools in NY, CT, PA and MA. Those in MA and NY categorically told me that. grin
Nawa o! What options are you currently looking at?
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 by imperiouxx(m): 1:31am On Oct 19, 2013
Yersinia:
Nawa o! What options are you currently looking at?

I'm looking towards IL, MI, NC, IN, WV, OH, DC, RI, WI. I used that gradschools to search for Pharmacology within those areas and sieved off any school saying bullshiit above competitive funding for Int'l. Even nobody Indiana University is saying nasty things about undergrad CGPA that Harvard doesn't ask. Though, I know they will compromise later.

http://grad.medicine.iu.edu/degree-programs/ibmg/admission-requirements/
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 by lisadem: 1:55am On Oct 19, 2013
Ricky Rozay:

Didn't they Request for your Bank Statement @ port of Entry...

Besides, Which Airport did your Flight land @?

Just like imperiouxx rightly said, I also don't know and have not heard about presenting a bank statement at the POE.

My POE was DFW airport and I was not asked to present it. I didn't even think about bringing it along. I was only asked to tender my passport+visa, I-20 and few questions were asked after which my pix and biometric were taken. I didn't spend up to a minute.#shikena.

Perhaps this carriage of statement of account is a new development. I don't know. Anyway, to be on a safe side, it isn't a huge load to carry if for any reason, it's requested. When are you coming?

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 by imperiouxx(m): 2:03am On Oct 19, 2013
lisadem:

Just like imperiouxx rightly said, I also don't know and have not heard about presenting a bank statement at the POE.

My POE was DFW airport and I was not asked to present it. I didn't even think about bringing it along. I was only asked to tender my passport+visa, I-20 and few questions were asked after which my pix and biometric were taken. I didn't spend up to a minute.#shikena.

Perhaps this carriage of statement of account is a new development. I don't know. Anyway, to be on a safe side, it isn't a huge load to carry if for any reason, it's requested. When are you coming?

Even if one carries it in his bag (if not boarding bag).... The bag won't be reached until he's cleared at POE as US visitor. Then he can go and claim his bag many meters away.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 by flynbird(f): 2:12am On Oct 19, 2013
Wait oh! I dont seem to fully understand this F-1 student 20hrs on-campus work... Is it after the first academic year that we are eligible to work? Or does it apply to just undergrad and not graduate student?
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 by dizyfrenzy(m): 2:19am On Oct 19, 2013
@imperiouxx...
Please I need your help on an issue. Its really important and time sensitive.
I would prefer we talk on the phone if possible, but email is fine as well.
my phone number is
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 by imperiouxx(m): 2:22am On Oct 19, 2013
dizyfrenzy: @imperiouxx...
Please I need your help on an issue. Its really important and time sensitive.
I would prefer we talk on the phone if possible, but email is fine as well.
my phone number.

Remove your number. I'm calling you now.

http://www.naces.org/members.html
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 by RickyRozay: 2:24am On Oct 19, 2013
imperiouxx:

I haven't heard that before and I wasn't asked when I came through the notorious Houston Airport. All they asked was the school and visa document and formal JJC questions, another biometric to show you're in. Moreover, what's the use of a Nigerian bank statement in the US whereas the bank statement isn't a receipt that the school fee has been paid. I'm not saying one can't go with it, that's the reason why I used "might" but you can't keep going everywhere with someone else's document.

Okay Boss!!!! Roger that!!!

Will go with my Bank Statement just to be on a safer side, because we never can tell what can happen, policy is Not static. It changes anytime.

Thank God, my Bank statement is still of recent. "August" to be Precised.. Someone even told me the POE is another small US Embassy, with lots of interrogations.. But they said i will be Ok if i have the complete docs to show @ the POE.

Thanks for clarifying this out!!!

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 by RickyRozay: 2:27am On Oct 19, 2013
lisadem:

Right on Point!!! Wow!!! I guess maybe it varies with the kind of airport one arrives @.

Thanks bro.. Will take it along when i'm traveling to the US by December!!!..
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 by imperiouxx(m): 2:48am On Oct 19, 2013
Ricky Rozay:

Okay Boss!!!! Roger that!!!

Will go with my Bank Statement just to be on a safer side, because we never can tell what can happen, policy is Not static. It changes anytime.

Thank God, my Bank statement is still of recent. "August" to be Precised.. Someone even told me the POE is another small US Embassy, with lots of interrogations.. But they said i will be Ok if i have the complete docs to show @ the POE.

Thanks for clarifying this out!!!

Yes, it doesn't bite carrying it and yes, they will ask JUST few questions but not in an interrogative way.

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 by MsNas(f): 2:51am On Oct 19, 2013
flynbird: Wait oh! I dont seem to fully understand this F-1 student 20hrs on-campus work... Is it after the first academic year that we are eligible to work? Or does it apply to just undergrad and not graduate student?
The 20hours can start right from the day you set foot in America. It applies to both undergrad and Grad. Many of the international students at my school got jobs immediately they came in.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 by flynbird(f): 3:11am On Oct 19, 2013
Ms Nas:
The 20hours can start right from the day you set foot in America. It applies to both undergrad and Grad. Many of the international students at my school got jobs immediately they came in.

oh but there are lots of contradicting answers to this question oh.. Some people say after the first 2 semesters which is one academic year
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 by imperiouxx(m): 3:21am On Oct 19, 2013
flynbird:

oh but there are lots of contradicting answers to this question oh.. Some people say after the first 2 semesters which is one academic year

Immediately not 2 semesters. If not, then I've violated the rule because I started immediately I reached here, likewise other int'l students that I know everywhere in this US.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 by lisadem: 3:32am On Oct 19, 2013
imperiouxx:

Even one carries it in his bag (if not boarding bag).... The bag won't be reached until he's cleared at POE as US visitor. Then he can go and claim his bag many meters away.

hahaha. That's even true. Well, a wise traveller should know that crucial docs should be carried as hand luggage and not checked-in at the airport.

2 Likes

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 by flynbird(f): 3:37am On Oct 19, 2013
imperiouxx:

Immediately not 2 semesters. If not, then I've violated the rule because I started immediately I reached here, likewise other int'l student I know everywhere in this US.

ok. Just wondering because i told my indian friend about the job applications i put up. And she was suprised cos her international office told her she cant work on-campus because she's a new F-1 student. Shes a grad student just like me too oh.. **confused**
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 by lisadem: 3:40am On Oct 19, 2013
flynbird:

it's actually a simple rule and not in any way vague. Int'l student is allowed to work 20hrs a week at his/her convenience. It could be immediately. (1st semester) or later.

I arrived late in my school and unfortunately, all the on-campus jobs had been taken. So am hoping to get one by Spring term. How's studies?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (501)

Travelling To Canada / Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) / Italian Student Visa-help!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.