Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,393 members, 7,808,383 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 11:15 AM

General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 - Travel (499) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 (453854 Views)

General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 7 / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 6 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (496) (497) (498) (499) (500) (501) (Go Down)

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 by Graviton2(m): 1:24am On Aug 22, 2014
teddyrain: A beg oh! Make una help me oh! I'm a BlackBerry lover and I have been using it since it came out. Then came the android paparazzi and I decided to belong oh! Now I don buy wahala. I subscribed with MTN and before 2 days everything waka. Please which network is good to use android? Because right now I am cry

MTN — 4.5gb night plan for NGN2,500. Dial *102# to subscribe.

Or you could take the Etisalat unlimited NGN15 for every 5minutes of Unlimited browsing. *229*5*7#

I won't advise you to use Airtel's blackberry data plan on your Android. Your data will disappear like public office manifesto. I'm telling you from experience https://www.nairaland.com/1791704/how-airtel-actually-charges-android

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 by streetMic(m): 1:27am On Aug 22, 2014
The Good Lord that brought you to America will grant you more favour and Breakthrough. Keep Making the Moves, you will give the testimony. I am Sure of this.

Feexo: BigFrancis, Yes, I took the Greyhound and we spent around 17 hours to get to Chicago with stop-overs in: Columbus, Ohio; Cleveland, Ohio and Indiana. I later took the Amtrak train- 3 hours- to my school.

MsNas, thanks for the support sis! I am presently with a group of Nigeria guys in a Western Illinois as I am typing this. In fact, I was picked at the train station by 2 Naija girls. These are all wonderful people...
I sent an email to that prof 5 minutes ago and he replies immediately telling me to come and see him tomorrow by 1:30 pm. I will update you in due course.

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 by ridimic1: 1:27am On Aug 22, 2014
sirRiddy: Hello guys...
Does anyone know any good school with funding for masters in computer science...
I may sound lazy frm my post bt please, I just want to know if someone can offer a piece of
info that wl do me well...
Thanks

Nice work u guys r doing on this thread

try ssouth Arkansas uni
Troy university
Purdue state university
Valparaiso uni
..all easy application process ..thanks
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 by Nobody: 1:51am On Aug 22, 2014
Olorun a ran e lowo, bro. Thanks a lot.
ridimic1:

try ssouth Arkansas uni
Troy university
Purdue state university
Valparaiso uni
..all easy application process ..thanks

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 by Graviton2(m): 1:57am On Aug 22, 2014
Does anyone know any good school with funding for masters in computer science...
I may sound lazy frm my post bt please, I just want to know if someone can offer a piece of
Thanks

Troy University
University of Central Arkansas
Morehouse college (All male)
University of Kentucky, Lexington
Murray State University
Morgan State University
Davidson College

Start with these few. Good luck

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 by Walspring: 2:41am On Aug 22, 2014
teddyrain: A beg oh! Make una help me oh! I'm a BlackBerry lover and I have been using it since it came out. Then came the android paparazzi and I decided to belong oh! Now I don buy wahala. I subscribed with MTN and before 2 days everything waka. Please which network is good to use android? Because right now I am cry

Do you want the code for #1500 or #2000
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 by Walspring: 2:43am On Aug 22, 2014
tunnath: Is it compulsory that I should write all the english test (iefls,toefls etc) or some school don't need that?

You can only write one of the test cos they are both English test... Although not all schools ask for it Toefl/Ielts

Toefl is powered by US while IELTS is powered by Bristish if i am not wrong
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 by Walspring: 2:45am On Aug 22, 2014
Thanks

You will need good gpa and gre score and others to get this funding... You can check on those schools that was posted for you...
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 by McKinzie: 3:26am On Aug 22, 2014
To the house. Just want to share my POE experience.. just to make others coming uhh understand there is God!

We landed in JFK.. went through the long queue.

You don't have to be angry when you hear them saying "American and Canadian citizens... And people holding a permanent residency card, this way..... If you're holding a visa, you're a visitor or its your first time , this way. I Sha join the way. When it got to my turn, the cbp officer only asked

What is your mission in the United states?
Me: Im here for my graduate studies.
Officer: what course?
Me: told him.
Officer : what school?.
He checked the last page of my I--20.
And said "this is your first time in the states right?.
Me: I gladly said yes and smiled.
He requested my fingerprint and took a pic. Stamped my passport and said I can go.
Went to claim my baggage and went through customs. The only collected the declaration form I filled while on board and told me to go. Didn't check my baggage at all. I wasn't even scanned I think maybe cuz I had nothing to declare.

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 by ebjay: 4:35am On Aug 22, 2014
Hello Nairalanders.

Is there any graduate student in University of Maryland college park? Abeg if there is kkindly buzz me let's hook up.it's kinda lonely here especiallybeing surrounded by all these INDIANS.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 by Walspring: 5:01am On Aug 22, 2014
ebjay: Hello Nairalanders.

Is there any graduate student in University of Maryland college park? Abeg if there is kkindly buzz me let's hook up.it's kinda lonely here especiallybeing surrounded by all these INDIANS.

Pm Bigfrancis that is school if i am not wrong

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 by Nobody: 5:06am On Aug 22, 2014

Hahaha. Why don't you like the Indians? PM Bigfrancis21

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 by bigfrancis21: 5:56am On Aug 22, 2014

Hello Ebjay, my fellow terp! Go terp!!

Welcome to the University of Maryland College Park! Consider yourself lucky. This is one very good school to be in in the US. And also nice to add another Nigerian to the overflowing list of Nigerians in this school. smiley

Which is your program, MS or UG? And your major? I guess you just arrived?

I just PMed you with my phone number and email. I'll be in school tomorrow morning. Reply me let's meet at the Stamp Union building(my favorite hangout area smiley ) or at some other place at your convenience.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 by bigfrancis21: 5:57am On Aug 22, 2014
Joenice: Hahaha. Why don't you like the Indians? PM Bigfrancis21

They are less receptive of non-indians and instead stick to only their kind.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 by Feexo: 6:04am On Aug 22, 2014
MsNas, Streetmic, Walspring and BigFrancis, thanks for everything. I went to school today to talk to the professor. He told me they had exhausted all the money they got for GA this semester, that I would be considered for next semester "If" they got funded. But I would definitely get a GA next session if my GPA is over 3.0. He brought out a book and showed me my name to indicate that he had already noted my name. Subsequently, he said I should try some places- already given to me by MsNas - for employment. He sounded optimistic that something would come up because school is yet to resume fully, and most places are looking for employees.
I achieved the following today:

I visited a cafeteria and they told me to come by 9 am tomorrow to pick employment form to fill and submit for interview.

I got my student ID

I got allocated a course adviser

I opened a bank account.

Tomorrow, I plan to register for courses, pick up and fill the employment form and look for more employment opportunities.

MsNas, I met Samson and Fidelia. I got to know the latter is a Nairalander with the moniker "Fideliajohn", she helped out with everything I did today.
Good luck guys!

5 Likes

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 by bigfrancis21: 6:47am On Aug 22, 2014
Feexo: MsNas, Streetmic, Walspring and BigFrancis, thanks for everything. I went to school today to talk to the professor. He told me they had exhausted all the money they got for GA this semester, that I would be considered for next semester "If" they got funded. But I would definitely get a GA next session if my GPA is over 3.0. He brought out a book and showed me my name to indicate that he had already noted my name. Subsequently, he said I should try some places- already given to me by MsNas - for employment. He sounded optimistic that something would come up because school is yet to resume fully, and most places are looking for employees.
I achieved the following today:

I visited a cafeteria and they told me to come by 9 am tomorrow to pick employment form to fill and submit for interview.

I got my student ID

I got allocated a course adviser

I opened a bank account.

Tomorrow, I plan to register for courses, pick up and fill the employment form and look for more employment opportunities.

MsNas, I met Samson and Fidelia. I got to know the latter is a Nairalander with the moniker "Fideliajohn", she helped out with everything I did today.
Good luck guys!

Thank God on your safe arrival to Chicago. I hope you enjoyed the Greyhound trip.

Congratulations on your day. You did achieve some things today. One thing I'll advise you is to not falter or waiver in your faith. When things don't go the way you planned, do not feel bad for Providence has a reason for it. God always has something good in store for us. Only with time, shall you get to see why it happened the other way instead.

Don't give up on your hopes of an assistantship. While not limited to research and teaching assistantships, there are also administrative assistantships which are non-academic in nature that are available in offices on campus. Usually, there's a central website listing of all available assistantships on campus, which you visit from time to time for new postings, for which you apply to them immediately as they are posted. I cannot over-emphasize the bold twice. Once a posting is listed, apply immediately that same day or the following day. Applying 3 days after is very late. Do not wait till weekend or when you feel like to apply. Assistantships are fiercely competitive. The first 10 to 15 resumes get the initial attention, before the last batch of applicants and in most cases, they always find a qualified applicant from the first 10 applicants they consider.

Meanwhile, while you wait on an assistantship and also not putting all your eggs in one basket, grab an on-campus job immediately, to enable you get your SSN, and state ID/driver's license. You'll need to also open an account. I strongly recommend Capital One bank, if you have one close to campus or where you live. Capital One Bank is very international student friendly and even grant credit cards to international students, something most other banks don't do. That way you can start very well enough to build your credit history. A credit history in America is very important getting certain services in this country such as obtaining a loan, mortgage to buy a house etc.

As for the dining job, return tomorrow and fill out the application. If they ask you if you have the work experience, you tell them yes. 100+ affirmative is your watchword. I cannot over-emphasize this bold part too. Do not submit the application and wait on eternity to be called back. After 3 - 5 days you don't hear from them, go back to the Diner's to inquire about your application and how you would like to follow-up on your application. This is called follow-up. America is not a place to be the laid-back, else you'll be left behind. Here, you would have to fight for almost anything you want. This society requires one to be audaciously proactive. Follow up on your application after 3 to 5 days, that way you give the employer(s) the impression that you are serious about the job and you really want to work. That is how they see it here. This is because so many people just apply for the sake of applying to widen their job application pool or don't show up for interviews because they got another option somewhere else. Applicants who follow up on their application help the employers to weed out the serious ones early enough and they get the most attention. However, do not harass them frequently or go back 3 times in a day to follow-up. That certainly will piss them off.

For more professional job search such as assistantships, you would want to wait a week or 2 before following up, that is if you don't hear from them within that time frame.

2 Likes

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 by Nobody: 7:02am On Aug 22, 2014
Graviton2: Amefrica,

so you even know who sent you the hate mail? Did you guys have a run-in before this whole episode?

Anyway, it has been established that heathy beef is a good source of protein. Just grill, chow down and digest, mister grin

LOL! I never get quanta with am before oo..

Thanks jaree brother!

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 by bigfrancis21: 7:04am On Aug 22, 2014
domex007: Hi friends,
Pls what is the difference between scholarship and financial aid??
Does receiving any one from a school in the US boost one chances of getting the visa??

Financial aid is the generic term for financial assitance given to a student as part of his educational funding. Forms of financial assistance include scholarships, loans, half or full tuition waivers(slicing your school fees into half and asking you to pay the remaining half or waiving everything completely), graduate assistantship etc.

Now, scholarship is a financial aid and is a lump sum of money given to a student who has shown remarkable academic achievement in the past based on CGPA, test scores, outstanding research work etc. and who by his past records has also demonstrated capacity for future academic feat. Just like the as-you-know-it scholarship, it is 'dashed' to you and you are not required to pay the money back or work for the school in return. However, graduate assistantships are employment jobs by the school by which you are required to work 20 hours a week(for full time employment) or 10 hours per week (part time employment) in exchange for monthly salary (which comes in bi-weekly ie every 2 weeks), half/full tuition waiver and health insurance benefits. Basically, scholarships and GAs carry the same benefits, the major difference being that while scholarships are 'dash', GAs are jobs are require you to work for the school in return.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 by bigfrancis21: 7:08am On Aug 22, 2014
Thanks

There's a school in Florida a nairalander studying there called me one day last year that the departments of maths and computer science were giving financial aid to MS students because their departments had just been set up recently and there were yet to have PhD students in the program, thus making the financial aids they have available to MS students.

I have forgotten the name of the school in Florida. Maybe Florida International University or so. I'm not so sure again.

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 by bigfrancis21: 7:15am On Aug 22, 2014
laura2014: Hello House?

I am here again, I have followed my instinct and went for my interview today but this time in Abuja it's my third time. Am sure if u remember my story of changing sponsor.

Well here is the transcript
VO. How are u?
Me am good you?

Vo why are u going to the USA?
Me to get master degree in accounting.

Vo why UIs
Me after extensive research. UIS is 2nd in ranking out of all regional uni in 12 state of mid west region. Has high faculty ratio.

Vo cut in how many schools u applied too
Me 3. I named them

Vo why UIs outta the 3
Me UIs has the best curriculum that suits my career at the moment n a new course introduced last year fall that made me finally drop the other 2

Vo what course is that
Me ACC 511 accounting research n financial analysis. Just introduced fall of last year. Would be the 2nd set.

Vo nods head. Do u write gre? Or toefl
Me I could love to write gre but I sent my htranscript so was exempted! I wrote toefl

Vo can I see
Me gave him printed copy with username n password. Told her score sheet is not available but she could confirm with my username n password.

Vo no need. Vo
Why did u write ur toefl in the uk?
Me I wrote it cos all centers in naija was down @ that time fortunately was in the uk for hols last December.

Vo who is ur sponsor? Now remember my case of two sponsor
Told her my dad n my uncle but uncle is primary sponsor. He is ceo bla bla n I have hjis docs n financial statement with ref letter.

Vo lemme see

Then was mute for about 30seconds.
I cannot make a decision yet
Ur sevis fee isn't paid. Told her have paid but the school changed my sevis # wen they sent me new I20. She said I haveto contct school or pay another.

She gave me a white form (AP) told me they will call me. I left but gave me mhy passport n held my statement(its original tho with over 5m from my uncle) also held my ds160 form n I left.

Please what's happening? Can someone advice me :? What do I do? Am about to send the copy of the ap to the school cos it's there sevis fee not paid for m.

Pls everybody. Need advice. Am loosing it. Account n reference letter is real issued from the bank. So am not scared even if VO wants to go n confirm in heaven.

But am restless m need some advice plss

@bold...I think that was the major cause of your delay at the embassy. I, myself, deferred my admission from fall 2013 last year to spring 2014, which came up as a necessity. When my school emailed me that my new spring 2014 I-20 was ready for mailing, I noticed they had assigned me another SEVIS ID different from the initial one I used to pay my SEVIS fee. I immediately called them the next day and had them correct it to the initial one before they mailed out my spring I-20, so as to avoid inconsistencies and issues at the Port of Entry.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 by Stewee(m): 7:49am On Aug 22, 2014
Walspring:

Fare well and safe trip with journey mercy by the special grace of God

Thanks Wally!
I'm in Doha now. Flight over here was smooth.
I spoke to the captain and first officer at the departure lounge and they introduced me to the crew.
I almost vomited inflight cos of too much food. grin
The wait in Doha is tiring. Although I have free wifi that I have to refresh every 1hour charging port is everywhere.
The food is crap. My stomach is frozen.
I just ordered coffee with plenty cream and sugar so I can gaan destroy their toilet. grin
Doha Intl airport is Massive and clean.
I sat with an elderly Indian on ma way to doha...friendly and chatty. He took time to explain that Doha is warm(kept on mentioning something about farenheit).i wasn't so interested. So far there's no blizzard or sand storm. He dint blink an eye all through the journey,na jus Indian movie e watch once gist finish. I almost lost my phone where I went to buy coffee,d babe just gave it to my like it's a dream,i jus dey shake my head in disbelief(the kind of thing Mom would do if she was with me). The white ppl there start to laff,me sef smile collect my phone and said thank you. I forgot to tip her grin

The wait continues...

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 by imperiouxx(m): 7:54am On Aug 22, 2014
Hey Bigfrancis,

It just crossed my mind now, where is Ricky Rosy?
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 by imperiouxx(m): 7:59am On Aug 22, 2014
Mystiqme:
My man. We are doing fine. How's married life treating you? Your wife fine no be small. I'm sure you are up to the task of maintaining such a beautiful woman. Strong man!!! Okurin meta!!! Hoping to see you soon sha. When you are less busy.

Trust me sir, I'm always for sweet girls kiss That's how I got that sweet lady. wink

Good to hear you're doing fine. In fact, she asked about you yesterday saying "How about the man in Stony Brook" "We should plan meeting him soon".
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 by Stewee(m): 8:00am On Aug 22, 2014
McKinzie: To the house. Just want to share my POE experience.. just to make others coming uhh understand there is God!

We landed in JFK.. went through the long queue.

You don't have to be angry when you hear them saying "American and Canadian citizens... And people holding a permanent residency card, this way..... If you're holding a visa, you're a visitor or its your first time , this way. I Sha join the way. When it got to my turn, the cbp officer only asked

What is your mission in the United states?
Me: Im here for my graduate studies.
Officer: what course?
Officer : what school?.
He checked the last page of my I--20.
And said "this is your first time in the states right?.
Me: I gladly said yes and smiled.
He requested my fingerprint and took a pic. Stamped my passport and said I can go.
Went to claim my baggage and went through customs. The only collected the declaration form I filled while on board and told me to go. Didn't check my baggage at all. I wasn't even scanned I think maybe cuz I had nothing to declare.

Hitch free access.
I'm sure I'm gonna be there forever.
I have the whole lagos in my bags.
...im in no hurry.

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 by imperiouxx(m): 8:00am On Aug 22, 2014
Ms. Nas,

What's good?
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 by MsNas(f): 8:39am On Aug 22, 2014
imperiouxx: Ms. Nas,

What's good?
I dey oo. Why are you still up sef?
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 by wiseman2392(m): 8:46am On Aug 22, 2014
Gud day all, I sent a message to the house and I couldn't get the reply quite alright. Pls my request is DOES ANYONE KNOW SOME SCHOOLS WITH FUNDING FOR MASTERS IN CHEMISTRY ?. Pls help me I have been trying to do this myself, but I couldn't get through. Pls help me out!!!
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 by wiseman2392(m): 9:03am On Aug 22, 2014
Imperioxx
Gud day, somebody told me u cud be of help to me. This is about; I need some schools offering chemistry as masters or PhD. I will appreciate it if u cud kindly help me solve this problem. Its not becos am lazy but am getting piss off of this. Kindly help me. Waiting for your response. Thanks
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 by Tekecoms1(m): 9:34am On Aug 22, 2014
Graviton2:

Troy University
University of Central Arkansas
Morehouse college (All male)
University of Kentucky, Lexington
Murray State University
Morgan State University
Davidson College

Start with these few. Good luck
Weldone boss.....
Please does this universities accept HND result for masters pursuant with 2.56 cgpa?
Please help me oooooo
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 by Shammak(m): 10:06am On Aug 22, 2014
Amefrica:

LOL! I never get quanta with am before oo..

Thanks jaree brother!
Hey bro!
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 by Nobody: 10:18am On Aug 22, 2014
Shammak:
Hey bro!

Hi sir!!
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 by Shammak(m): 10:25am On Aug 22, 2014
Amefrica:

Hi sir!!
how yÓur side bro... I can't see yÓu on my bbm contact list again

(1) (2) (3) ... (496) (497) (498) (499) (500) (501)

Travelling To Canada / Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) / Italian Student Visa-help!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 102
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.