Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,519 members, 7,808,893 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 06:51 PM

ASUU & FG's 2009 Agreement - Education (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / ASUU & FG's 2009 Agreement (30829 Views)

FG Bilateral Education Agreement (BEA) Scholarship Awards 2016/2017 - Apply Now / FG Implements ASUU Agreement, Earmarks N1.3tr For Universities / Another Nationwide ASUU Strike? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: ASUU & FG's 2009 Agreement by olayiwola9(m): 7:45pm On Oct 22, 2013
prof.femi:

Fallacy. I take my work extremely seriously. I keep my teaching methods and courseware at par (or close) to the best universities in the world. And I do *not* work in Department of Chemistry. I have always maintained that we have "bad egg" lecturers. I almost always also state that we also have some outstanding lecturers. The fact of the matter is, we cannot fire the bad lecturers until we know for a fact that we have the wherewithal to hire anything better in their place. Tell me, how many first class students do you know who chose to lecture? Can you tell me why? Does it not go back to this same funding issue?
sir, u know what i said above is true, the way the lecturers teach sometimes makes me clueless as to d subject being discussed in class, and then i know a lot of first class graduates who wanted to lecture, but to think of handling the lives of people the way majority of lecturers in oau does is in no way encouraging. Abi i lie?

1 Like

Re: ASUU & FG's 2009 Agreement by proffemi: 7:50pm On Oct 22, 2013
olayiwola9: sir, u know what i said above is true, the way the lecturers teach sometimes makes me clueless as to d subject being discussed in class, and then i know a lot of first class graduates who wanted to lecture, but to think of handling the lives of people the way majority of lecturers in oau does is in no way encouraging. Abi i lie?

What do you mean? That they don't want to lecture because they don't want to ruin lives the way current lecturers do? That makes no sense. If they are really concerned about how useless current lecturers are, and they are sure of themselves, isn't that all the more reason to go into lecturing? Lets not be economical with the truth; we are all Nigerians. Simply put, no matter how attractive you think lecturing jobs are, they are still not good enough to attract the typical first class student. I know this because I have had such students graduating from under my tutelage for more than a decade.

By the way, please feel free to debate freely (and none of the "sir"wink. This is a faceless forum, and I think you should be free to say exactly what you think freely.
Re: ASUU & FG's 2009 Agreement by olayiwola9(m): 7:51pm On Oct 22, 2013
prof.femi:

You know, it would be good for people to have any idea of what they are talking about before they give opinions. Do you know what a developing country that needs to bootstrap itself needs to do? If you do, please tell me. I am all ears.
well they develop the labour markets, if after all the funding and ASUU trains us like they do in other standard places, we will still be back to the same problem of no jobs, i followed ur questions closely sir, and i must say u have made ur point clear but majority of ASUU members if truth be told are responsible for this decay.

1 Like

Re: ASUU & FG's 2009 Agreement by proffemi: 7:53pm On Oct 22, 2013
olayiwola9: well they develop the labour markets, if after all the funding and ASUU trains us like they do in other standard places, we will still be back to the same problem of no jobs, i followed ur questions closely sir, and i must say u have made ur point clear but majority of ASUU members if truth be told are responsible for this decay.

Yes, assuming that is true, how do you suppose we will improve this system? Ultimately, we could need to fire them. That's acceptable, but can you frankly answer me: do you think we will be able to recruit anyone better than them into this current system?

To the first answer: NOPE. They develop their tertiary education system first, so that when their industries develop, they have the manpower to solve the problems they encounter.
Re: ASUU & FG's 2009 Agreement by olayiwola9(m): 7:59pm On Oct 22, 2013
prof.femi:

What do you mean? That they don't want to lecture because they don't want to ruin lives the way current lecturers do? That makes no sense. If they are really concerned about how useless current lecturers are, and they are sure of themselves, isn't that all the more reason to go into lecturing? Lets not be economical with the truth; we are all Nigerians. Simply put, no matter how attractive you think lecturing jobs are, they are still not good enough to attract the typical first class student. I know this because I have had such students graduating from under my tutelage for more than a decade.

By the way, please feel free to debate freely (and none of the "sir"wink. This is a faceless forum, and I think you should be free to say exactly what you think freely.
sir, they say if u cant beat them join them. With my little stay in school, i've heard stories and seen myself of how lecturers who decide to distinguish themselves are treated, the old bucks expect things to maintain status quo and any lecturer who decides to change things a bit, u know the rest, and i know that u cannot tell me that in oau Majority of the lectures give their best, they dont even care if u understand all advise u to do is to spend 6 hours daily in the bush to understand what they've taught u.

1 Like

Re: ASUU & FG's 2009 Agreement by occam(m): 8:00pm On Oct 22, 2013
prof.femi:

After spending close to 100 hours fielding questions on the ASUU strike last week on this same Nairaland, I had decided to just face my work and go through the various threads on the strike in stealth mode to pa ironu re. However, your post was so strongly-worded and ignorant that I had to decloak immediately to speak to it.

My dear young man, I lecture in that same OAU you are mouthing about. No be your fault. I wish you had attended some other universities in Nigeria; then perhaps you would have valued what you have here more. Elede o meye.

Your angry rant is fueled primarily by simple ignorance of the fact that by paying less than N100,000 for an education worth at least N1 million, students are a primary cause of the reason why the FG spends so much on tertiary education. Yes, the fight we are taking to FG to raise money may yet come back to haunt you guys. Have you ever paused your rant to ask yourself why ASUU doesn't just call off and let the government jerk up school fees? Believe me, if it were in my power, I would have made us do this long ago. Then you would stop accusing us of being selfish old men because you would be too busy working your guts out to raise the money for your education. The truth of the matter must be said: nobody in Nigeria wants to pay for anything. That is why a student like you is being given education that others mortgage their futures to get in the US, and you can still be ranting.

Did you see where someone obviously better than you suggested that a PG education somewhere abroad costs N5 million? Yet, you are mouthing off that OAU had the guts to collect N20,000 from you. You want ASUU to fight so you wont pay even that.

Since you say you are in OAU, I challenge you to say the university has NOT improved over the last 10 years. Do you even have any idea why that is so

I can understand now why most ASUU members view students with contempt; they lack the capacity for simply comprehension, preferring to raise hell.

This country is probably doomed, and I'm not thinking about GEJ or ASUU when I say that; I am looking at *you*.

Perhaps you should have kept quite. Coming from a lecturer, this response was so inappropriate. You should have simply enlightened him, presented the facts and move on. Addressing a student with such contempt is very unethical

The huge amount quoted (in bold) applies only to foreign students. In Canada for instance, citizens pay far less than foreign students. In addition low income students or those whose parents' income fall below a threshold receive student loans and grant (ranging from $9,000 - $23,000 per year). Only 30 % of loans are repayable after completion of studies.

So in effect, university education is subsidized for low income earners. Sadly, Nigerian student do not get this kind of help from government.

3 Likes

Re: ASUU & FG's 2009 Agreement by porka: 8:01pm On Oct 22, 2013
Demdem:

The real reason why we all should support ASUU now and make sure the last time they will ever go on strike will be 2013

If that's your reason then you don't know ASUU.

ASUU strike is a test that their new executive must pass in order not to be seen as weak.

Every ASUU president must declare a strike action.

ASUU will embark of strike action for any and every single thing no matter how frivolous.

If it's not earned allowance, it's retirement age.

If a state government appointed a VC for its university funded by it who is not ASUU candidate, ASUU will declare a national industrial action.

If an ASUU member is penalized for indiscipline be rest assured that ASUU will be on strike the next day.

ASUU will declare a strike action for petroleum subsidy removal etc.

You just have to check the reasons for past ASUU strikes before raising your optimism.

1 Like

Re: ASUU & FG's 2009 Agreement by proffemi: 8:03pm On Oct 22, 2013
olayiwola9: sir, they say if u cant beat them join them. With my little stay in school, i've heard stories and seen myself of how lecturers who decide to distinguish themselves are treated, the old bucks expect things to maintain status quo and any lecturer who decides to change things a bit, u know the rest, and i know that u cannot tell me that in oau Majority of the lectures give their best, they dont even care if u understand all advise u to do is to spend 6 hours daily in the bush to understand what they've taught u.

Many urban myths that students carry from mouth to mouth are not true. Yes, the old hands try to ensure things remain the way they are, but I assure you that there are people who are, as we speak, changing the system. So, back to the point, this is not the reason first class students stay away. Its all about the money (and the nature of the job).
Re: ASUU & FG's 2009 Agreement by olayiwola9(m): 8:03pm On Oct 22, 2013
prof.femi:

Yes, assuming that is true, how do you suppose we will improve this system? Ultimately, we could need to fire them. That's acceptable, but can you frankly answer me: do you think we will be able to recruit anyone better than them into this current system?

To the first answer: NOPE. They develop their tertiary education system first, so that when their industries develop, they have the manpower to solve the problems they encounter.
you can only answer for yourself, and with majority of the lecturers we have presently, i feel they cannot bring any significant change to the table, even if 3 trillion is doled out,
Re: ASUU & FG's 2009 Agreement by olayiwola9(m): 8:07pm On Oct 22, 2013
prof.femi:

Many urban myths that students carry from mouth to mouth are not true. Yes, the old hands try to ensure things remain the way they are, but I assure you that there are people who are, as we speak, changing the system. So, back to the point, this is not the reason first class students stay away. Its all about the money (and the nature of the job).
and they are a minute part of the bunch, u and i know sir, that what needs to be changed first is the attitude of lectures not clamouringenious for some unreasonable agreement signed years ago, let them teach us well and i tell u, ASUU wont have need to confront the govt we the students will.

1 Like

Re: ASUU & FG's 2009 Agreement by porka: 8:07pm On Oct 22, 2013
occam:

Perhaps you should have kept quite. Coming from a lecturer, this response was so inappropriate. You should have simply enlightened him, presented the facts and move on. Addressing a student with such contempt is very unethical

The huge amount quoted (in bold) applies only to foreign students. In Canada for instance, citizens pay far less than foreign students. In addition low income students or those whose parents' income fall below a threshold receive student loans and grant (ranging from $9,000 - $23,000 per year). Only 30 % of loans are repayable after completion of studies.

So in effect, university education is subsidized for low income earners. Sadly, Nigerian student do not get this kind of help from government.

Public university education is highly subsidized in Nigeria.
Re: ASUU & FG's 2009 Agreement by proffemi: 8:08pm On Oct 22, 2013
occam: Perhaps you should have kept quite. Coming from a lecturer, this response was so inappropriate. You should have simply enlightened him, presented the facts and move on. Addressing a student with such contempt is very unethical

Yes, did you see where I said "I can understand now why most ASUU members view students with contempt". Despite your best intentions, some people say just enough to change your view about them. As Burke said, "there is a limit at which forbearance ceases to be a virtue". Yes, I am a lecturer both in and out of the class, and I try to educate anyone who desires an education. But when someone speaks so ill of something I hold dear, I will state things exactly the way I see them.

At the end of your post, you hinted an acceptance of the fact that students or FG, *someone* always pays dearly for education. In your estimation, is that happening in Nigeria? If it is not, can you suggest an easier way to make it happen than what ASUU is doing?
Re: ASUU & FG's 2009 Agreement by proffemi: 8:09pm On Oct 22, 2013
olayiwola9: and they are a minute part of the bunch, u and i know sir, that what needs to be changed first is the attitude of lectures not clamouringenious for some unreasonable agreement signed years ago, let them teach us well and i tell u, ASUU wont have need to confront the govt we the students will.

Yes, so how are you going to change their attitude?
Re: ASUU & FG's 2009 Agreement by Nobody: 8:09pm On Oct 22, 2013
lakesguy: Al diz ones nah story' who cares abt the agreement' All I wann hear is ' ASUU called off 4month strike' den I can come bk here to read dere stupid agreement'

Same here..mtchew
Re: ASUU & FG's 2009 Agreement by Nobody: 8:16pm On Oct 22, 2013
ASUU members complain that politicians earn a lot , truth is if they want to join politics they are free to join, no one is stopping them. But for them to hold the nation under duress and compare themselves to politicians is unacceptable, they are on the long run civil servants. And retiring @ 70 is very worrying, first don't they ever want to have anytime to rest from work before they die?, then if all the lecturers remain there where will the teeming undergraduates get employed.

1 Like

Re: ASUU & FG's 2009 Agreement by proffemi: 8:18pm On Oct 22, 2013
dr_joshua2000: ASUU members complain that politicians earn a lot , truth is if they want to join politics they are free to join, no one is stopping them. But for them to hold the nation under duress and compare themselves to politicians is unacceptable, they are on the long run civil servants. And retiring @ 70 is very worrying, first don't they ever want to have anytime to rest from work before they die?, then if all the lecturers remain there where will the teeming undergraduates get employed.

Any ASUU member who compares himself with a politician is a fool (sorry for the harsh words from me tonight; Arsenal is a goal down at home smiley ) but that does not change the fact that this system needs an infusion both for infrastructure and to make the job attractive enough for the kind of minds we need.
Re: ASUU & FG's 2009 Agreement by Ninapha(f): 8:20pm On Oct 22, 2013
Demdem:

Please kindly lecture us all about this unknown signed agreement
maybe an essay would help u more. What do u consider to be an agreement? Were they employed to intimidate the students? How many times hv they said to a studnet, u will only graduate when i so wish. How many times hv a student won his/her case against them before the senate even when it is glaring they faulted? What are they teaching/lecturing sef? Ppl who lecture same thing year in year out. Now because they believe its Jonathan, every Johnbull can protest. Sadists.

Ask me their agreement with the students again, it is to keep them at home for months for whatever reason they believe!
Re: ASUU & FG's 2009 Agreement by Nobody: 8:21pm On Oct 22, 2013
howfarwhatagwan: Dear Nigerian students so eager to go back to school have you asked yourself
- what you are really going back to?
- The education you are currently getting does it equip you to compete equally with your counterparts around the world?
- why don't you all rise up and fight for what is rightfully yours?
- Is ASUU really the enemy here?
- Did ASUU have to embark on this strike for everyone including you to know that the education system is decaying and needs reforms?
- With advanced technology why are you all still crying about handouts what happened to projectors and the lecturers either sending you slides or uploading them in a central system where you can access?
- How many practical projects have you carried out?

[b]So true! But the question is who is going to fund the practicals/Laboratory experiments? Who's going to pay the salaries of those Laboratory attendants? Who will pay the salaries of professors and sponsor their research? Even if they buy the projectors and equip the school with state of the art technologies, who's going to bear the cost of maintenance? What about the utility bills like electricity, water, cleaning staffs, transport etc. Who will foot those bills? You cannot tell me that the FG should be responsible for the budget of our tertiary institutions, that is like working in First Bank and getting your pay from NNPC.

After much scrutiny, i have come to an understanding that it all boils down to finance, and Nigerians are not yet ready to pay for education. If anyone could tell me where they pay 25,000 Naira (USD $155) per year for a University degree, anywhere in the world. I want to go study there.

Bottom line is, the University does not generate enough internal revenue to ensure a smooth running operation of the institution. The tuition fee cannot accommodate the University's fiscal budget conveniently, hence the reason why the University and ASUU always seeks external (Government) aid. Education is not free/cheap and never will be, the earlier Nigerians begin to understand that nothing is "FREE" the earlier we will begin to develop. Don't forget the saying that "YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR".
[/b]
Re: ASUU & FG's 2009 Agreement by proffemi: 8:26pm On Oct 22, 2013
rudedough: After much scrutiny, i have come an understanding that it all boils down to finance, and Nigerians are not yet ready to pay for education. If anyone could tell me where they pay 25,000 Naira (USD $155) per year for a University degree, anywhere in the world. I want to go study there.

God bless you for this. The thing that really gets my goat is that, rather than letting the burden fall on the students (where, frankly speaking, it should), ASUU is fighting to put in on FG, and guess who is hacking at ASUU? Yep. The same students. Life's not fair...
Re: ASUU & FG's 2009 Agreement by Nobody: 8:27pm On Oct 22, 2013
Prof Femi ASUU asking for about the highest pay among civil servants is totally uncalled for. In advanced countries lecturers are not near the highest paid, meanwhile most of you professors teach outdated and archaic lectures and have bias for updating your knowledge. Most professors teach just twice a year and they are fighting their butt out for high pay and even a so-called excess workload allowance of 3500 per hour. When the corruption in the society gets into our education then we're finally doomed, and that's where we are right now. Shame on ASUU.

1 Like

Re: ASUU & FG's 2009 Agreement by abbasnaqvi(m): 8:29pm On Oct 22, 2013
www.prizebondnaqvi.com[color=#000099][/color]
Re: ASUU & FG's 2009 Agreement by abbasnaqvi(m): 8:30pm On Oct 22, 2013
Re: ASUU & FG's 2009 Agreement by abbasnaqvi(m): 8:31pm On Oct 22, 2013
www.prizebondnaqvi.com[color=#000099][/color]
Re: ASUU & FG's 2009 Agreement by Ninapha(f): 8:31pm On Oct 22, 2013
prof.femi:

. I beg to disagree with u on this assertion. Rather some are not even given the opportunity to. I can tell u atleast 7 ppl i know ith first class who are not employed. Yes some may not hv the flair for teaching but i know the pay is ok atleast far better than what most pple receive in other sectors. Stop deceiving us with this low pay stuff, there is gud money in lecturing period. U pple want to receive more that u hv worked for.
Re: ASUU & FG's 2009 Agreement by proffemi: 8:32pm On Oct 22, 2013
dr_joshua2000: Prof Femi ASUU asking for about the highest pay among civil servants is totally uncalled for. In advanced countries lecturers are not near the highest paid, meanwhile most of you professors teach outdated and archaic lectures and have bias for updating your knowledge. Most professors teach just twice a year and they are fighting their butt out for high pay and even a so-called excess workload allowance of 3500 per hour. When the corruption in the society gets into our education then we're finally doomed, and that's where we are right now. Shame on ASUU.

Look, we can argue till we are purple in the face. The facts are:
1. There are lots of lecturers who have no business being here. But in a situation the conditions of service cannot attract replacements that are truly better, we are left with few options on how to deal with them.

2. Proper funding of the universities and the FG deciding to demand performance from lecturers are *not* mutually exclusive.

3. The fact that some lecturers are bad eggs is NO excuse either for the FG to renege on an agreement it signed, or for them to abandon education

4. Tertiary education is expensive anywhere in the world. If the students don't want ASUU to fight FG for adequate funding, they better be ready to pay through their favorite orifice.

5. This country can not achieve any of our long-term goals unless tertiary education is well-funded.

1 Like

Re: ASUU & FG's 2009 Agreement by proffemi: 8:35pm On Oct 22, 2013
Ninapha: . I beg to disagree with u on this assertion. Rather some are not even given the opportunity to. I can tell u atleast 7 ppl i know ith first class who are not employed. Yes some may not hv the flair for teaching but i know the pay is ok atleast far better than what most pple receive in other sectors. Stop deceiving us with this low pay stuff, there is gud money in lecturing period. U pple want to receive more that u hv worked for.

Well, since its your word against mine, there is little I can do...other than to remind you that I have seen these same students you're talking about first-hand for a long time. My department is one of the best in the country in our area. Of the last ~10 staff we have employed, only 1 was a first class student (honest). Incidentally, this same one is considered one of the best lecturers in my department, bar none. Does that tell you something?

By the way, I'll like to know which university produces as many as seven first class students (presumably around the same cohort) who can't tie down a job.
Re: ASUU & FG's 2009 Agreement by OKUCHI11(m): 8:38pm On Oct 22, 2013
Promhize: God punish this idiots. I was almost supporting them but on a second thought, this guys are greedy old men, destroying students lives with no sense of regret.

Why can't they just sue the FG since it was an agreement, wait let me guess, they don't want to spend their money, but they can waste students lives without twitching an eye.

We always blame FG, but these lecturers are as worse as the politicians themselves, I can bet that over 40% (esp Professors, Dr) are not in Nigeria as we are speaking, we complain that our politicians children aren't schooling in Nigeria but these greedy men are not different, even the son of Ondo state's deputy governor schools at OAU - tell me why he would want to send any of his children to FG universities later.

I just don't understand, this idiots are fighting for their pockets - for bigger offices, ac fitted - not students. I school in OAU and I'm not complaining, in-fact, no student is complaining. OAU increased Acceptance fee from 2000naira to 20,000naira, a whooping 1000% increase, when we students protested they advised us to stop and called us all sorts.

No lecturer supported students. For Pre-degree programme, the fee is over 150thousand naira, to write post utme, you'd have to pay over 3000naira, to check you'd have to pay over 3000naira, pls where do you think all these money is going to. Its not like we are given free food or learning materials.

This lecturers sit in AC tight offices, travel anyhow even during school semesters all in the name of research, the same lecturers fighting for students will come back from trips in the middle of semesters and give students only course outline and ask us to go learn ourselves.

Same lecturers demanded more than once that their retirement age be extended when millions of graduates are out of work. They want allowance because they are teaching more than 1 course, these same men and women of no reputable standard went to school on scholarship, with free food, books, and so on.

Damn ASUU and their sympathisers. They sit in AC tight offices with numerous gadgets when ordinary ceiling fans in students room aren't working.
They collect hundreds of millions in different fees but must new classrooms in OAU are built by Private companies and individuals such as first bank, I bet the rest are from FG funds.

I WILL NOT STOP UNTIL EVERYONE KNOWS THAT EVEN THOUGH FG IS CORRUPT, THESE LECTURERS ARE NOT ANY BETTER.
Re: ASUU & FG's 2009 Agreement by olayiwola9(m): 8:40pm On Oct 22, 2013
prof.femi:

Yes, so how are you going to change their attitude?
let them teach us well knowing a teachers reward is in heaven, lol. It all boils down to change, the change they desire, let them start it for us to see, but come to think of it, students will be doomed if the fg doesn't answer ASUU, they'll nearly kill us.
Re: ASUU & FG's 2009 Agreement by taisoft(m): 8:46pm On Oct 22, 2013
yim: the agreement is voidable as govt was forced to sign under duress. ASUU members are thieves.
. Waooo. Why talking like a dropout? I'm not sure you know the value of education. Pls try ingnorance and you will know the difference so that you can value education.
Re: ASUU & FG's 2009 Agreement by Nobody: 8:47pm On Oct 22, 2013
[b]The foundation of our educational system is a fault for disaster to start with. I will also want to point out that Nigerians are over dependent on the Govt. We get almost everything for free yet we expect more. I wonder why Nigerians now have the mentality that everything must be given to the citizens free of charge. Toll-Free roads, free healthcare, free education, cheap petroleum products, cheap electricity, free Govt. work, free taxes etc. Even the Northern Govt. is beginning to offer free mass marriages to their men.

I have never seen a country where the Govt. pays the salaries of lecturers anywhere in the world, only in Nigeria. It's like working at First bank and getting your pay check from NNPC. The reason why the University cannot sustain its recurrent expenditure is because they do not generate enough income internally to ensure a smooth and efficient running operation of the institution. And that is a good example of a business failure by definition.

You may ask, so why can't the University sustain itself? The answer is not far-fetched, it's simply because the tuition fee cannot accommodate the University's fiscal budget conveniently, hence the reason why the University and ASUU always needs external (Government) aid.

How can you run a University with a tuition fee of =N= 25,000 Naira per annum, USD $155 per year? Out of $155, the Govt. is expected to pay all academic staff salary, non-academic staff salary (Cleaners, security, gate-men, drivers etc.), cover electricity and all other utility bills of the University, sponsor the research of the PhD students, and every other sector that requires financial support. Common Nigerians, we need to wake up and understand that "You get what you pay for". If you want a sound higher education, you got to pay for it and it's very expensive anywhere in the world, nowhere has it been any less than =N=1,000,000 per annum (USD $6,000). If you're in doubt, do some research

Nigerians need GOOD ROAD, ELECTRICITY, GOOD TRANSPORT SYSTEM, WATER, INFRASTRUCTURE AND A STABLE ECONOMY. We cannot achieve that if we keep spending our entire budget plus capital on public servant's salaries and allowances, leaving nothing for development. Does anyone know that 79.7% of our annual budget is used to pay salaries and allowances of all the FREE amenities Nigerians enjoy leaving only 20.3% for development?

(Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Economy_of_Nigeria#Data).

And out of the remaining staggering 20.3%, ASUU wants an additional =N=92 billion (USD $544 Million) for extra allowances. If ASUU's allowance cost this nation =N=92 billion (USD $544 Million) in three and a half years, how much does their salaries cost us? How will the Govt. survive if it continues to offer everything on demand at the expense of the Nigerian economy?

Take it or leave it, Our FREE-FOR-ALL lifestyle is milking this nation dry. Teaching, doctoring, pastoral works etc. are more of a vocational job, if ASUU wants to challenge Aliko Dangote in wealth acquisition, please with due respect kindly "resign".

My preferred solution:

** Govt. must take their hands off school business because there's no positive correlation between politics and education.

** Tuition fee should be increased to a reasonable standard to carry the University recurrent expenditure while supporting its research works. It should also be flexible enough for those who truly need and can afford a tertiary education.

** Higher institutions should be mandated to generate their income and run internally with tuition fee and extra-curricular levies. They should also be able to cover their entire expenditure and bring back return to the State/Federal Govt.

** Nigerians should stop being greedy by not supporting any FREE-FOR-ALL Govt. policies and learn to be supportive of the Govt. by paying their taxes.

** Private corporations should be encouraged to sponsor students with higher grades through higher education on a bonded agreement of employment and salary deduction to the amount of sponsorship. (This is encouraged everywhere in the world) At least, it will help the poor who are intelligent and hardworking achieve their dreams.

Education is not free and never will be, the Govt. needs money to run the country. The earlier we understand that the FREE-FOR-ALL lifestyle we enjoy is a straight road for disaster, the earlier we will begin to develop.

Signed: A concerned youth
[/b]

2 Likes

Re: ASUU & FG's 2009 Agreement by occam(m): 8:55pm On Oct 22, 2013
prof.femi:

Yes, did you see where I said "I can understand now why most ASUU members view students with contempt". Despite your best intentions, some people say just enough to change your view about them. As Burke said, "there is a limit at which forbearance ceases to be a virtue". Yes, I am a lecturer both in and out of the class, and I try to educate anyone who desires an education. But when someone speaks so ill of something I hold dear, I will state things exactly the way I see them.

At the end of your post, you hinted an acceptance of the fact that students or FG, *someone* always pays dearly for education. In your estimation, is that happening in Nigeria? If it is not, can you suggest an easier way to make it happen than what ASUU is doing?

Agreed but how do we ensure the poor are not denied access to education? I'm sure an average student forks out over N200,000 for fees, feeding and accommodation per year (N800,000 in 4 yrs).

ASUU can propose a "school fee exemption grant" for low income earners; closely linked to student performance. So students that do not score good grades will start paying fees the following year. Given the income levels in Nigeria, up to 65% of students will qualify. I'm sure Nigeria can fund this.

1 Like

Re: ASUU & FG's 2009 Agreement by Nobody: 8:58pm On Oct 22, 2013
Businesslocator: Both ASUU and fg are theives!!!
Me don even forget my department not to talk of matric number!!!
Lmao! That picture underneath your post is funny! Is that you? grin grin grin grin o G^d! grin

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

12-Year-Old FUOYE Is The Fourth Most Sought After University In Nigeria / 16 Pictures You Can Relate To If You're Attending A Nigerian University / Adamawa SUG President: Policemen In Viral Video To Face Disciplinary Sanctions

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 117
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.