Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,906 members, 7,802,941 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 04:36 AM

ASUU & FG's 2009 Agreement - Education (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / ASUU & FG's 2009 Agreement (30825 Views)

FG Bilateral Education Agreement (BEA) Scholarship Awards 2016/2017 - Apply Now / FG Implements ASUU Agreement, Earmarks N1.3tr For Universities / Another Nationwide ASUU Strike? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: ASUU & FG's 2009 Agreement by Nobody: 6:41am On Oct 23, 2013
federal Gov sturbon GAN.....ASUU are doing the right thing in the wrong way,when the elephants fight its the grass that suffers
GOD HELP US
Re: ASUU & FG's 2009 Agreement by adezjamz(m): 7:33am On Oct 23, 2013
aManFromMars:

undecided

u quoted him wrong, bad fellow...

1 Like

Re: ASUU & FG's 2009 Agreement by Gbajabiamila1: 7:38am On Oct 23, 2013
prof.femi:

Thanks joo. Nigerians are too fond of free things; worse yet, most students don't seem to know that right now, the value of the education they are getting is tosh. As has been said over and over, you get what you pay for, so could students kindly stop complaining? *

*Do you hear students of private universities complaining so much about their lecturers?

** $#^#%%#& Lewandowski...
Sir, so students should pay huge amounts and lecturers should earn huge salaries? Who will pay for all these with the unemployment rate in this country? Do you even know the minimum wage in this country? Ouch!
Re: ASUU & FG's 2009 Agreement by Swiftboy(m): 8:07am On Oct 23, 2013
F.G Should honour the MOU! Agreement's agreement! I mean 13% of the budget for universities is not too much if we're to be in the global academic fore front! So ASUU's demand is not too much per say considering the amount Nigerians spend annually for Education. F.G must give in to their demand cos we all know how much they pay politicians in salary and allowances.
Re: ASUU & FG's 2009 Agreement by JBL316: 8:10am On Oct 23, 2013
Govt no fit cancel university sef? ?I mean make the university declare bankruptcy make everybody go where dem come from jor
Re: ASUU & FG's 2009 Agreement by emmasege: 8:28am On Oct 23, 2013
ASUU should thank their God that they are not dealing with a military man in civilian regalia (e.g. OBJ). UNILORIN 49 would have been a child's play compared with what he would have meted out to them by now. Why won't they continue the strike indefinitely when they know that at the end of the day Govt will still pay them for those idle months they stayed at home. Now, most of them have time for their private practices (PPs) which they have always treasured above their primary assignments and gallivant all over Nigeria and overseas.
They should know by now that they have lost the sympathy of most Nigerians for the strike. Don't they know that when a drum is sounding too loud, it's about to burst?

1 Like

Re: ASUU & FG's 2009 Agreement by UyiIredia(m): 8:39am On Oct 23, 2013
eguity&justice:
so ASUU want to channel 50% of budget for education to universities. Then the remaining should be shared b/w polytechnic, collage of edu, secondry and primary. How fair is this?

Very unrealistic. #1.5 trillion for all universities I can begin to comprehend. #1.5 trillion per university is silly and wishful thinking.

1 Like

Re: ASUU & FG's 2009 Agreement by Nobody: 8:41am On Oct 23, 2013
tundeism: Damn you and Jonadatf, can't just imagine dat anyone cud be supporting our govt over ASUU. Its unfortunate sha

Bro, I aint supporting anyone, I just want to go back to school and finish my education. Is that too much to ask or why can't ASUU just sue FG rather than waste students life. I know of my mate who has died during this stupid strike.
Re: ASUU & FG's 2009 Agreement by Idokosolomon(m): 8:41am On Oct 23, 2013
ASUU should go back and have a rethink nd stop been selfish.
Re: ASUU & FG's 2009 Agreement by chreldb(m): 9:19am On Oct 23, 2013
emmasege: ASUU should thank their God that they are not dealing with a military man in civilian regalia (e.g. OBJ). UNILORIN 49 would have been a child's play compared with what he would have meted out to them by now. Why won't they continue the strike indefinitely when they know that at the end of the day Govt will still pay them for those idle months they stayed at home. Now, most of them have time for their private practices (PPs) which they have always treasured above their primary assignments and gallivant all over Nigeria and overseas.
They should know by now that they have lost the sympathy of most Nigerians for the strike. Don't they know that when a drum is sounding too loud, it's about to burst?

My brother you are either young or you have a short memory. For your information ASUU has dealt with worse examples than what you have given in the bolded. ASUU also fought the Abacha regime who was a lunatic and a military dictator in a military uniform. What most people don't know is that was a strike with a political overtone not what Jonathan administration is saying now. Why do I say so you ask? Because Abacha was willing to meet ASUU's demands except for one major requirement that p.issed the dictator off which was that the June 12 mandate be given to MKO Abiola. During that period soldiers came into University campuses to eject lecturers from staff quarters but ASUU still said nay!! the strike went on. The ASUU is the only union in Nigeria till date that have in the past looked into the eyes of the government and told them to do what is right time and time again and it still happens till date. Why the government detests and fears ASUU is because from time in memorial they have always refused to be intimidated or compromised. To me they are a relatively credible union that fight for what is right and just and they remain one of the hope that can bring redemption to Nigeria judging from their antecedents. It seems some peoples minds are made up to hate the union because of the negative aspects exhibited by few of their members. Everyone has a right of opinion and for that i rest my case because I now know that during this foru months the facts is known to all. So let us lay tent to where we deem fit and allow posterity to judge.

1 Like

Re: ASUU & FG's 2009 Agreement by unmask: 9:20am On Oct 23, 2013
its funny to read students reaction to the strike....all they want is for the "gaddam" strike to be called off......and when it gets called off, what do you return to the same rubbish, where your lecturers cannot be held accountable, where your research work is nothing, where your labs are barely working, where the students to teacher ratio is 500:1?..... Yet when they don't bother to read past the first page of your answer script you cry foul.

Most times it seems Nigerians actually deserve what they get.....yes most of your lecturers are corrupt, but what can you do about it, they are underpaid and are fat and lazy, they have also realised your "I just want the certificate attitude"....so they wouldn't change.......

If government lives up to the agreement, lecturing becomes lucrative, attracts the best minds and brains, then the useless ones will be forced to sit up or be thrown out.....

One of my lecturers once told us that in a similar dept in a school in the US, they had over a hundred lecturers and researchers compared to our 18, with a fewer number of students and far far better equipments .....another one said she was praised repeatedly for marking 25 scripts, with everybody asking her if the workload wasn't too much.

Government has the key to reviving our education....either they hands off completely and let the schools charge the over 3million per student per session they need to sustain themselves, or fulfill the terms of the agreement and then clamp down on the excesses of lecturers....

Please note any solution that might involve student loan won't work, as you need jobs to pay back the loan.....

All in all it depends on if you are satisfied with the state of your university and the quality of education you receive from it or you are dissatisfied with it....

I am dissatisfied and I support ASUU's cause fully.

And I hope others will realise that while you can ascribe a lot of vices to ASUU, the federal government still remains the first domino that needs to be pushed, to crumble the stack of problematic dominoes plaguing our institutions.

1 Like

Re: ASUU & FG's 2009 Agreement by bima06: 9:27am On Oct 23, 2013
lazbay: i am so suprised dat as a university student, u dont know dat school fees, acceptance fees, post utme fees etc are not collected by d lecturers. pls learn about administration. those who administer university funds are not ASUU members but d non-teaching staff under d directive of d bursar. this is d kind of ignorance dat ASUU is trying to end in d life of students.

the buck ends on the vc's table who is a member of ASUU...........definetly you are the one who is ignorant
Re: ASUU & FG's 2009 Agreement by bima06: 9:31am On Oct 23, 2013
lazbay: i am so suprised dat as a university student, u dont know dat school fees, acceptance fees, post utme fees etc are not collected by d lecturers. pls learn about administration. those who administer university funds are not ASUU members but d non-teaching staff under d directive of d bursar. this is d kind of ignorance dat ASUU is trying to end in d life of students.

the buck ends on the vc's table who is a member of ASUU...........definitely you are the one who is ignorant
Re: ASUU & FG's 2009 Agreement by Monalisa185(f): 10:06am On Oct 23, 2013
Pls o, I want to ask, the acceptance fee,faculty due,departmental fee,school fess,accreditation fees and other stupid stupid fees we pay in school,what are they used for? Am seriously confused! Can anyone answer pls?
Re: ASUU & FG's 2009 Agreement by Topsymic: 11:58am On Oct 23, 2013
DIS IS NT FUNY
Frustration, failure, difficulties in your life do not come to destroy you, but to help
you realise your hidden potential and power. Let difficulties know that you too are
difficult, say " it may be difficult but it is possible". Make it happeN
Re: ASUU & FG's 2009 Agreement by Yemlizzy(f): 1:04pm On Oct 23, 2013
This strike is becoming longer than expected wont blame ASUU @ all what do you expect from a government that is so full of corrupt and insincere leaders? So many obnoxious laws yet not helping the masses but a few selected group of aristocrats whom are in the helm of affairs.....May God see us through all this ASUU nd their ish!
Re: ASUU & FG's 2009 Agreement by adadadon(m): 10:28pm On Oct 23, 2013
Promhize: God punish this idiots. I was almost supporting them but on a second thought, this guys are greedy old men, destroying students lives with no sense of regret.

Why can't they just sue the FG since it was an agreement, wait let me guess, they don't want to spend their money, but they can waste students lives without twitching an eye.

We always blame FG, but these lecturers are as worse as the politicians themselves, I can bet that over 40% (esp Professors, Dr) are not in Nigeria as we are speaking, we complain that our politicians children aren't schooling in Nigeria but these greedy men are not different, even the son of Ondo state's deputy governor schools at OAU - tell me why he would want to send any of his children to FG universities later.

I just don't understand, this idiots are fighting for their pockets - for bigger offices, ac fitted - not students. I school in OAU and I'm not complaining, in-fact, no student is complaining. OAU increased Acceptance fee from 2000naira to 20,000naira, a whooping 1000% increase, when we students protested they advised us to stop and called us all sorts.

No lecturer supported students. For Pre-degree programme, the fee is over 150thousand naira, to write post utme, you'd have to pay over 3000naira, to check you'd have to pay over 3000naira, pls where do you think all these money is going to. Its not like we are given free food or learning materials.

This lecturers sit in AC tight offices, travel anyhow even during school semesters all in the name of research, the same lecturers fighting for students will come back from trips in the middle of semesters and give students only course outline and ask us to go learn ourselves.

Same lecturers demanded more than once that their retirement age be extended when millions of graduates are out of work. They want allowance because they are teaching more than 1 course, these same men and women of no reputable standard went to school on scholarship, with free food, books, and so on.

Damn ASUU and their sympathisers. They sit in AC tight offices with numerous gadgets when ordinary ceiling fans in students room aren't working.
They collect hundreds of millions in different fees but must new classrooms in OAU are built by Private companies and individuals such as first bank, I bet the rest are from FG funds.

I WILL NOT STOP UNTIL EVERYONE KNOWS THAT EVEN THOUGH FG IS CORRUPT, THESE LECTURERS ARE NOT ANY BETTER.

Abeg we dey your back
Of the greatest Ife
Re: ASUU & FG's 2009 Agreement by adadadon(m): 10:33pm On Oct 23, 2013
The Government can't be trusted But when You see ASUU and FG you tend to support ASUU shocked
Btw Private schools now
Advertise "No strike as a PREMIUM FEATURE"

Re: ASUU & FG's 2009 Agreement by doingreat(m): 9:15am On Oct 24, 2013
my simple question is: what was the FG thinking when it signed the agreement?
[color=#990000][/color]
Re: ASUU & FG's 2009 Agreement by Aliciakeys(f): 9:56pm On Nov 01, 2013
Do not miss the 1st NL interschool debate, you would not want to be gisted, come experience the fun, clash of writers, orators and debaters... Be there from the very beginning up to the end.. Click the flick and join the train via www.nairaland.com/1499392/nairaland-interschool-debate-planning-thread/
Re: ASUU & FG's 2009 Agreement by DaminaboEricOgo(m): 7:42am On Aug 15, 2017
undecided

CHAI, they have come again o

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

The Quality Of Nigeria's University Education (Let's Rank Them) / My Daughter Not Allowed To Write JAMB With Her Hijab On - Man Raises Alarm / Kogi State University Post Utme Form Is Out

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.