Stats: 3,143,485 members, 7,781,454 topics. Date: Friday, 29 March 2024 at 02:41 PM

Emenike Wants To Surpass Yekini's Goal-scoring Record - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Emenike Wants To Surpass Yekini's Goal-scoring Record (14632 Views)

Rashidi Yekini: Forgotten In Nigeria, Remembered In Portugal (PHOTO) / Football: Nigeria Europe-based Internationals Regain Goal Scoring Form. / Rashidi Yekini Is Dead? (2) (3) (4)

Emenike Wants To Surpass Yekini's Goal-scoring Record by dridowu: 1:32pm On Oct 18, 2013
Fenerbahce hitman Emmanuel Emenike has set himself the challenge of surpassing Rashidi Yekini’s goalscoring record for Nigeria.

Yekini, who died last year, holds the all-time scoring record for the country. The 1993 African Footballer of the Year scored 37 goals for the Super Eagles in 58 appearances spanning 14 years. The deceased represented Nigeria in five major tournaments, including the USA ’94 and France ’98 World Cups.

But Emenike, who has scored 10 goals in 17 matches for the Eagles, hopes to surpass the Tunisia ’94 Africa Cup of Nations winner’s record.

“Yekini’s shoes are still too big for me to wear, I am only doing what I know best for my fatherland and I have not done anything yet,” the 2013 Africa Cup of Nations Golden Boot winner told MTNFootball.com in an interview on Thursday.

“I still have a lot to do to get to the height reached by such a legend.

“The fans have to wait before I can accept that tag but for now, I’m thinking about making the name Emenike bigger than the late Yekini.

“But I won’t rush my race. I will keep delivering when I’m given the chance to serve my country.”

The former Spartak Moscow star admitted that it would be a “dream” to represent his country at the 2014 World Cup in Brazil, saying the Eagles would play their hearts out in the second leg playoff against Ethiopia in Calabar on November 16 to seal rtheir berth in the finals.

“I’m glad to have played in the Africa Nations Cup and won,” Emenike said.

“I’m dreaming of playing in my first World Cup for Nigeria. That will be the first time I will be at the World Cup and to get to play in Brazil, where they are crazy about football, would be a dream come true.

“I started nursing the dream to play at World Cup since 1994. I was a very small boy then, but could still remember how the older boys around followed the tournament and were mentioning the players’ names, praising them. Ever since then, I have wanted to also be praised for playing at the World Cup. It would be great to play in Brazil.”

However, the 25-year-old said the Eagles are not getting carried away by Sunday’s 2-1 victory over Ethiopia in the World Cup playoff in Addis Ababa.

He said, “It is to be expected for the fans to celebrate such a victory because it was away from home.But we the players are not thinking that way.

“I’m sure the ticket is within the reach now. Our fans should know that we as footballers always want to win and they should always have it in their mind that football is all about ups and downs.

“They (Ethiopia) are a good side. They gave us a scare, they were everywhere and determined for revenge but we went, we saw and we conquered.

“We played against a good side in the Ethiopians. We knew that right from the Africa Nations Cup and they have improved.”

Punch

Re: Emenike Wants To Surpass Yekini's Goal-scoring Record by laplace19(m): 1:45pm On Oct 18, 2013
Emenike,I believe you.....cos you still have 41 matches to play and 27 goals to score in order to beat Yekini's record...

RIDE ON,boy! grin
Re: Emenike Wants To Surpass Yekini's Goal-scoring Record by dridowu: 1:52pm On Oct 18, 2013
Record are meant to be broken. Emenike all da best. Future African and World Best Player. Love his style of play

Re: Emenike Wants To Surpass Yekini's Goal-scoring Record by naijanoni(m): 1:59pm On Oct 18, 2013
dridowu: Record are meant to be broken. Emenike all da best. Future African and World Best Player. Love his style of play
Hahaha that one na big dream o !!.African best ??.He has to start scoring 4 his club.And move to a bigger club and a better league like d La Liga or EPL before he'll dream of winning d african player of d year award.
Re: Emenike Wants To Surpass Yekini's Goal-scoring Record by homesteady(m): 2:05pm On Oct 18, 2013
In sha Allah, you shall break the record smiley Amin! smiley

Re: Emenike Wants To Surpass Yekini's Goal-scoring Record by Burger01(m): 2:55pm On Oct 18, 2013
You need 'hard work', commitment and dedication for you to attain such height. Goodluck.

Re: Emenike Wants To Surpass Yekini's Goal-scoring Record by premlove(m): 3:32pm On Oct 18, 2013
There is something wrong some where.i know some people will abuse me but its just a simple fact, when ikechukwu was scoring goals for nigeria his club form was very poor and now look at emenike he has started scoring for nigeria and look at his form in his club just my point

Re: Emenike Wants To Surpass Yekini's Goal-scoring Record by Nobody: 3:59pm On Oct 18, 2013
You are getting dere... Just keep on doing the good work of scoring goals that you know how to do best. Nothing is impossible.
Re: Emenike Wants To Surpass Yekini's Goal-scoring Record by lexyman(m): 4:05pm On Oct 18, 2013
I want u to surpass that record , the better ur performance with the National team the better for u ... Try and balance ur club performance score for the new club so that u can attract other big clubs especially in the epl . U will achieve greatness brother!
Re: Emenike Wants To Surpass Yekini's Goal-scoring Record by Sealeddeal(m): 5:39pm On Oct 18, 2013
Yes he can. The ike(energy) i saw in Emenike can achieve dat. He shld also improv clubwise to play in England or Spain.
Imagin him spearheading d attack for arsenal....i cant wait to see dat
Re: Emenike Wants To Surpass Yekini's Goal-scoring Record by miteolu(m): 7:07pm On Oct 18, 2013
His (Emeneke) life playing span on pitch will determine. As on today's ratio, Yekinni's record is on top 63% while Emeneke 58%.

Re: Emenike Wants To Surpass Yekini's Goal-scoring Record by Syenite(m): 7:35pm On Oct 18, 2013
miteolu: His (Emeneke) life playing span on pitch will determine. As on today's ratio, Yekinni's record is on top 63% while Emeneke 58%.
Good statistical fact. But I think reason y Emenike's is lower is cos he only found his scoring form this year. He did nt do well is his earlier matches for Nigeria. However, he (Emenike) is 26 yrs old already, Yekini was only 23yrs old in 1988 AFCON where he was already our hit man. Age is against Emenike. It is an uphill task for Emenike to surpass Yekini.

Re: Emenike Wants To Surpass Yekini's Goal-scoring Record by Sllowppoisoon: 11:16pm On Oct 18, 2013
He can still do betaaaa

Re: Emenike Wants To Surpass Yekini's Goal-scoring Record by Thebrightest(m): 11:17pm On Oct 18, 2013
k
Re: Emenike Wants To Surpass Yekini's Goal-scoring Record by Nobody: 11:18pm On Oct 18, 2013
Ok win the world cup for us, you would have scored more goals than Yekini by then
Re: Emenike Wants To Surpass Yekini's Goal-scoring Record by Usen9c(m): 11:18pm On Oct 18, 2013
Even messi record too
Re: Emenike Wants To Surpass Yekini's Goal-scoring Record by Thebrightest(m): 11:19pm On Oct 18, 2013
This comment space is for SALES.
Pls ORDER NOW!!!
and be on the front page.
Re: Emenike Wants To Surpass Yekini's Goal-scoring Record by imperiouxx(m): 11:20pm On Oct 18, 2013
Good luck to him!
Re: Emenike Wants To Surpass Yekini's Goal-scoring Record by airmark(m): 11:26pm On Oct 18, 2013
If he continues playing our match penalty kicks. He may break it before he retires
Re: Emenike Wants To Surpass Yekini's Goal-scoring Record by eyenCalabar(m): 11:28pm On Oct 18, 2013
He can do it. Any striker who doesn't waste scoring chances like Emenike can score as many goals as possible.
Re: Emenike Wants To Surpass Yekini's Goal-scoring Record by Nobody: 11:30pm On Oct 18, 2013
naija noni:
Hahaha that one na big dream o !!.African best ??.He has to start scoring 4 his club.And move to a bigger club and a better league like d La Liga or EPL before he'll dream of winning d african player of d year award.
Where was Emmanuel Amuneke when he won Africa's best in 1994? Zamalek! Is Zamalek in Europe? It's possible; I tell you, Emenike can do it.

Re: Emenike Wants To Surpass Yekini's Goal-scoring Record by Nobody: 11:37pm On Oct 18, 2013
WITH GOD ON YOUR SIDE YOU CAN ACHIEVE IT.
E*M*N*I*K*E! HE SCORES WHEN HE WANTS!! BRAVO my dear!!!

Re: Emenike Wants To Surpass Yekini's Goal-scoring Record by Haywhymido(m): 11:39pm On Oct 18, 2013
I knw u can do it. Move to england so dat u can win africa best player
Re: Emenike Wants To Surpass Yekini's Goal-scoring Record by Nobody: 11:49pm On Oct 18, 2013
If Jose Mourinho had any sense he wouldn't have bought Eto. He would have gotten Emenike.

Re: Emenike Wants To Surpass Yekini's Goal-scoring Record by JMOI: 11:50pm On Oct 18, 2013
Move over to Chelsea. Maybe you'll become the new Drogba.
Re: Emenike Wants To Surpass Yekini's Goal-scoring Record by tchigofigo(m): 12:11am On Oct 19, 2013
u mite av 2 take all d spot kick duties-free kicks, penalties n even own goals to meet yekini's record..,

Re: Emenike Wants To Surpass Yekini's Goal-scoring Record by WaziriFamily(m): 12:11am On Oct 19, 2013
prem love: There is something wrong some where.i know some people will abuse me but its just a simple fact, when ikechukwu was scoring goals for nigeria his club form was very poor and now look at emenike he has started scoring for nigeria and look at his form in his club just my point
My brss dat's soccer 4u...
Re: Emenike Wants To Surpass Yekini's Goal-scoring Record by TheBeam(m): 12:12am On Oct 19, 2013
check sportsgourmet..com for more sport stories
Re: Emenike Wants To Surpass Yekini's Goal-scoring Record by 0monnakoda: 12:41am On Oct 19, 2013
I wish him well But Yekini's record no be beans o!
Not just for a Nigerian but for ANY international especially when you consider that he got several caps toward the end when he was no longer scoring .
To reach the record he needs to stay injury free for a while
Re: Emenike Wants To Surpass Yekini's Goal-scoring Record by telexfree1: 1:13am On Oct 19, 2013
tchigofigo: u mite av 2 take all d spot kick duties-free kicks, penalties n even own goals to meet yekini's record..,

Silly grin grin
Re: Emenike Wants To Surpass Yekini's Goal-scoring Record by richy1473(m): 1:20am On Oct 19, 2013
First Nigerian to scored for Nigeria in Nigeria's first match at Nigeria's world-cup debut:R A S H I D I. Y E K I Ni...!!!
E M E N I K E,I wish you success in your carrier but that record(up)can never be broken again never again..

Re: Emenike Wants To Surpass Yekini's Goal-scoring Record by COOLDUN: 1:24am On Oct 19, 2013
Emmanuel Chukwunenye Emenike, as a junior brother i would advise you to focus on your games and leave the comperism and record breaking for now. Nigerians and their press can destroy players at any given moment, there was a time Etim John Esin was in every lips until he was framed up in Belgium and was deserted by the Nigerians and pressmen who were hailing him as Nigeria's Maradona, Daniel Amokachi Da bull came on board they started showering him with praises even went along and published that he had a private jet, but when injury came knocking he was dumped until luck came to his favors to serve under the National teams coaches.

Please stop comparing yourself with any player both living or dead for now and focus on your games ahead, when you perform well all those things would come by themselves, the day Victor Ikpeba was given the African Best player he was busy in Monaco, i listened to the interview on BBC radio focus on Africa sports section then, the lady interviewer confessed that he was the most eloquent African player she had ever interviewed after the interview.

I know you very well, but you don't know me, i know your brothers and sisters very well as one of them that is married at Ugbele Umuaka's husband is my childhood friend, Though many think that you are from Aguleri in Anambra , because you and your brothers were there for a very long time, You are an Igbo man from Ndeziama Amakor Autonomus community in Njaba LGA. Imo state. You are my junior brother , Arinze your brother is the one that know me. I am not saying these things to impress you but to make you know that i know many things about you. Your success in the round leather game is bringing up the names of your town Amakor, Neibouring town Amazano, Obeakpu and your maternal home Uba Umuaka, the Isiozi , Ugbele, Amiyi, Achara, Obinwanne, Umuele , and entire Njaba LGA, Orlu Imo and Ndigbo are proud of you.

Beware from comparism and records breaking for now my brother, it brings envy and distractions my dear brother. If you are reading this my write up or anyone that knows you directly should pass these words of warning to you. I am not commanding you but only advising you my brother.

God almighy will increase your efforts and reward you with more victories, glories and laurels, IJN, Amen.

18 Likes

Governor Ambode Appoints Asisat Oshoala As Lagos State Sports Ambassador. / Samuel Okwaraji - An Unsung Hero / NPFL: Enyimba Fc Vs Heartland Fc (2 - 0) On 17th June 2015