Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,325 members, 7,808,090 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 07:02 AM

BBC Claims Abuja Was Built On Stolen Land - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / BBC Claims Abuja Was Built On Stolen Land (23250 Views)

Revealed: Abuja Was Part Of Igboland / CNN Claims Abuja Under The Control Of Boko Haram (Video) / Let's Be Honest , The Un Bombing In Abuja Was Carried Out By The Americans ! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: BBC Claims Abuja Was Built On Stolen Land by generalshamusu(m): 6:30pm On Oct 18, 2013
Am not suprised at all, the brutish network is always anti Nigeria!

1 Like

Re: BBC Claims Abuja Was Built On Stolen Land by Deiok(m): 6:31pm On Oct 18, 2013
BBC with their confuse state of mind. Mteww
Re: BBC Claims Abuja Was Built On Stolen Land by Locapito(m): 6:40pm On Oct 18, 2013
Well if the report is true, Federal Government should compensate the Bwaris. But I doubt it if they'll get anything from this prodigal and corruptible present government.
Re: BBC Claims Abuja Was Built On Stolen Land by Nobody: 6:46pm On Oct 18, 2013
hotclint: Go school = Strike
I no go school = illiteracy
I travel by air = Plane crash
By sea = Militants
By land = Kidnappers, bad roads and robbers
By train = 2-days from Kano to Lagos
I go to Mosque/Church = Boko Haram
I go to village = Witchcraft
I stay at home = No work!
Wetin una want make person do??
u can dye
Re: BBC Claims Abuja Was Built On Stolen Land by Nobody: 6:56pm On Oct 18, 2013
These silly brits always feel they have an opinion.
Idiots, they chose to see the bad parts and they've seen it, so why the whailing. Same fools that gave power to northerners!

the brits teachers are on strike, and they've time to be ridiculing Nigeria
Re: BBC Claims Abuja Was Built On Stolen Land by Nobody: 7:01pm On Oct 18, 2013
british britain uk. the queen all of you. leave. NIGERIA
alone.
Re: BBC Claims Abuja Was Built On Stolen Land by autchman144(m): 7:03pm On Oct 18, 2013
u say "eerily empty streets" then u say "busy road"......u're confused
Re: BBC Claims Abuja Was Built On Stolen Land by Nobody: 7:05pm On Oct 18, 2013
Don Magic Juan:
how about Bakassi?

How about Niger Delta oil wells?

The Indegenes as far as I am concerned are better off with the FCT. The only draw back is that they are hardly educated and so are not able to demand for executive and administrative positions in the FCT which has been going to Abokis and Ebiras.

Bakassi had more to do with international politics and the strategic interest of France. Nigeria shot itself in the foot by going to the world court, without the support of any super-power. If the Bakassi people had gone to the world court by themselves - they would have been supported by the UN and the judgement would've been a little bit different. Their rights would have been protected.

With Niger Delta - can't you see the international support the Ogoni people are getting and how the late Saro Wiwa is popular outside Nigeria? His daughter is quite popular with the UK media. Also, ever wonder why the oil companies deal with the communities directly when carrying out certain projects? The Niger Deltans don't really get much because their elites are the ones manipulating everything - if and when they're ready to claim the rights of the indigenous people, the world would listen to their cries.

This generation of the indigenous people of Abuja might be semi-savages, however, I'm sure the next generation won't be like that. And don't be surprised when they start asking for their just due. It's their right and they own the land. Other people on there - including the FG - are tenants.

Also, I'll like to talk about the Falklands. Yes, it might rightfully belong to the Args - however, it was a barren land for a long time and the Brits were smart enough to get their people to build houses there and live there - automatically making them the indigenous people. So the rights of those people must be protected because they're the indigenous people. And most of them prefer the status quo and the British identity. The only way the Args can claim it back is by going to war with the UK. However, I doubt they're brave enough for that. They fought one and they already lost. The elephant in the room won't even allow that to happen. grin

1 Like

Re: BBC Claims Abuja Was Built On Stolen Land by Nobody: 7:07pm On Oct 18, 2013
Diasporan:
Bro you are wrong.The indigenes were relocated and given houses with amenities intact in some new districts I.e Garki II and Gudu but instead they decided to sell the houses to foreigners.The people are largely plagued by illiteracy and they can't even wake up one day to conceive the idea of asking for any land because they were duly compensated which is a rare occurrence in Nigeria and there are legal document to back it up.The federal Government was really magnanimous to them.

You can't relocate the indigenous man to a foreign land - that's unacceptable. You've to respect his rights to his land and give him whatever you want to give him over there. They will definitely come back for their lands in future like the prodigal son.

1 Like

Re: BBC Claims Abuja Was Built On Stolen Land by Wsdm: 7:07pm On Oct 18, 2013
kaeyame:

See as these guys are hell bent on tearing this country apart. This place, I have grown to love

BBC, the plan is to get these people to pick up arms and begin to request settlement!
It is not the BBC that is first making this call. As people advance in life they tend to wise up as to the cause of their peril at the advantage of others. The injustices is too much. The land use act of 1978 was the first pill of corruption and re-enslavement of the citizen by Obassanjo. That act must be reviewed before Nigerians will be able to own a land in perpetuity.
Re: BBC Claims Abuja Was Built On Stolen Land by Nobody: 7:08pm On Oct 18, 2013
richesmine:
u can dye

if you die u go hell fire
Re: BBC Claims Abuja Was Built On Stolen Land by Diasporan(m): 7:24pm On Oct 18, 2013
shymexx:

You can't relocate the indigenous man to a foreign land - that's unacceptable. You've to respect his rights to his land and give him whatever you want to give him over there. They will definitely come back for their lands in future like the prodigal son.
Like I said you are wrong maybe because you are not familiar with the terrain.The land they relocated them to is still their land just that they moved them from what you know as downtown(Central Business Districts) to the side of the town so as to give way for building of Federal Government infrastructure.Like I said earlier on they built good houses for them with basic infrastructure like electricity,water and roads but these people choose to sell their houses to foreigners like the Igbos and others and still return to little huts.That was why the former Minister of FCT Mallam Elrufai was always demolishing their illegal settlements and hamlets because it was distorting the master plan of the city.

1 Like

Re: BBC Claims Abuja Was Built On Stolen Land by Soloter(m): 7:24pm On Oct 18, 2013
Arosa:

This Wikipedia is always given us false informations, cos they clam he is Gwari. angry
why you come fall mugu quick? Babangida is not an Ebira man. if Ebira does m
not have an illustrious son then they should look for one, IBB isn't theirs.
Re: BBC Claims Abuja Was Built On Stolen Land by Nobody: 7:33pm On Oct 18, 2013
Diasporan:
Like I said you are wrong maybe because you are not familiar with the terrain.The land they relocated them to is still their land just that they moved them from what you know as downtown(Central Business Districts) to the side of the town so as to give way for building of Federal Government infrastructure.Like I said earlier on they build good houses for them with basic infrastructure like electricity,water and roads but these people choose to sell their houses to foreigners I.e Igbo and others and still return to little huts.That was why the former Minister of FCT Mallam Elrufai was always demolishing their illegal settlements and hamlets they pitch thereby distorting the master plan of the city.

Brother, relocated or not - is it their ancestral homeland? - Yes it's. The fact that they now live in shanty homes is enough for the international community to have empathy on them, if and when they're ready to fight for what rightfully belongs to them - or to seek compensation.

They definitely have a case at the UN and I'm sure a lot of countries would support them. UN doesn't joke with the rights of indigenous people especially when it comes to lands. Even Israel that gets a pass all the time - of late, there have been reservations, from the UN, about their land-grab. And for the ones they sold - they have to be on leasehold and their children should be able to go back and claim them.

PS: why did BBC call Abuja a "charmless" city? - I can't deal. These journalists are nuts! grin

Everybody hates Nigeria! undecided

1 Like

Re: BBC Claims Abuja Was Built On Stolen Land by Nobody: 7:40pm On Oct 18, 2013
russellino:

Certainly not. IBB is Nupe
ibb is gwari my friend. gwarin niger
Re: BBC Claims Abuja Was Built On Stolen Land by greatmen: 7:43pm On Oct 18, 2013
Total none sense the UK are the biggest thief's they have a lot of stolen land to give back Falkland etc can a big thief call an oder thief a thief smh[color=#006600][/color]
Re: BBC Claims Abuja Was Built On Stolen Land by greatmen: 7:44pm On Oct 18, 2013
shymexx:

Brother, relocated or not - is it their ancestral homeland? - Yes it's. The fact that they now live in shanty homes is enough for the international community to have empathy on them, if and when they're ready to fight for what rightfully belongs to them - or to seek compensation.

They definitely have a case at the UN and I'm sure a lot of countries would support them. UN doesn't joke with the rights of indigenous people especially when it comes to lands. Even Israel that gets a pass all the time - of late, there have been reservations, from the UN, about their land-grab. And for the ones they sold - they have to be on leasehold and their children should be able to go back and claim them.

PS: why did BBC call Abuja a "charmless" city? - I can't deal. These journalists are nuts! grin

Everybody hates Nigeria! undecided
abeg were you from cause it seems your brainwashed or just blind!
Re: BBC Claims Abuja Was Built On Stolen Land by adewaleafolabi(m): 7:45pm On Oct 18, 2013
Kettle calling pot black. And how many lands has her majesty stolen? Countries Scramble and Partition for Africa still rings a bell. Not justifying what was done, but really it shouldn't be coming from the brits.

1 Like

Re: BBC Claims Abuja Was Built On Stolen Land by mrlaw93(m): 7:51pm On Oct 18, 2013
Ki-Katanga:

You are a sexist prick and she has the right to say what ever she likes.
see mumu.. nd u tink u cn win her heart in dis manner.. mtcheeew
Re: BBC Claims Abuja Was Built On Stolen Land by Nobody: 7:55pm On Oct 18, 2013
i dont blame bbc and the rest of these foreign stations. its because nigerians dont sit one place. As if they are the only ones from a country with challenges. Even britain has its challenges. Nigeria o ni baje o! l'agbara olorun. AMIN
Re: BBC Claims Abuja Was Built On Stolen Land by viktuur(m): 7:59pm On Oct 18, 2013
Haba Dont exergerate o, yes it was GWARI land, but how many were there?that area was the most sparsely populated part of central Nigeria then with most going to minna,Kaduna and lokoja, it was after the creation of FCT that the population started booming due to migration of both GWARIS and other Nigerians.
this is what abuja looked like in th 80's not to talk of 70's where are the Gwari towns na.
http://www.nairaland.com/attachments/1342863_nicon20hilton2020hotel_jpgf0fa1685faa7c9254874b6c39b623ade
Ki-Katanga:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-24404633

Read the actual article.

The Land was stolen by Nigerians from Nigerians you bigots.

1 Like

Re: BBC Claims Abuja Was Built On Stolen Land by lekemon(m): 8:00pm On Oct 18, 2013
Don Magic Juan:

he is not. he is ebira

He is my son grin
Don Magic Juan:

he is not. he is ebira

He is my son
Re: BBC Claims Abuja Was Built On Stolen Land by piagetskinner(m): 8:01pm On Oct 18, 2013
Make BBC go somalia go find news abeg....what was their intention(bbc),do they want to instigate a crisis?
Re: BBC Claims Abuja Was Built On Stolen Land by prologue: 8:06pm On Oct 18, 2013
And US was built on whose land? Rubbish.
Re: BBC Claims Abuja Was Built On Stolen Land by olumuyiolaoluwa: 8:06pm On Oct 18, 2013
Hmm dey no go shut up, face their front Bakassi dem no fit chuck Mouth
Re: BBC Claims Abuja Was Built On Stolen Land by Nobody: 8:09pm On Oct 18, 2013
greatmen: abeg were you from cause it seems your brainwashed or just blind!

Where am I from? - it's Friday and I'm a little bit tipsy, so I can't remember where I'm from tbh. However, I can remember this is a topic about international law; if Abuja is technically a stolen land or not; and the rights of the indigenous people.

Ever heard about the case between Chagossians + Mauritius vs. United Kingdom over Chagos Archipelago? I know Nigeria is a sovereign country, however, the law is the law. Anyway, I'm just having fun with the topic and trying my best possible to educate people, should in case the indigenous people of Abuja wake up tomorrow and ask for their land.

Have fun. wink

2 Likes

Re: BBC Claims Abuja Was Built On Stolen Land by oniwo(m): 8:12pm On Oct 18, 2013
Don Magic Juan:

he is not. he is ebira

No he is NUPE or TAPA
Re: BBC Claims Abuja Was Built On Stolen Land by nagoma(m): 8:14pm On Oct 18, 2013
Locapito: Well if the report is true, Federal Government should compensate the Bwaris. But I doubt it if they'll get anything from this prodigal and corruptible present government.
y

Don't worry the issue will come up in the SNC. (If Nigeria will exist as an entity) The Federal government will start paying rent to the 3 states ( Niger,Kogi,Nassarawa ) according to how much land they rented out to make up the Federal Capital. Land is the most important Material resource on Earth.
Re: BBC Claims Abuja Was Built On Stolen Land by oniwo(m): 8:15pm On Oct 18, 2013
prologue: And US was built on whose land? Rubbish.
From stolen land of colombia.
Washington DC means District of Colombia.
Re: BBC Claims Abuja Was Built On Stolen Land by DoffMan2: 8:16pm On Oct 18, 2013
Cajetan speaks: Gwari people have been compensated [size=16pt]severally[/size] with brand new houses and money but they prefer to sell them out and still live in huts...

severally [ˈsɛvrəlɪ]
adv
1. separately, individually, or distinctly
2. each in turn; respectively

sev•er•al•ly (ˈsɛv ər ə li, ˈsɛv rə-)

adv.
1. separately; singly.
2. respectively.

Adv. 1. severally - apart from others; "the clothes were hung severally"
independently
2. severally - apart from others; "taken individually, the rooms were, in fact, square"; "the fine points are treated singly"
individually, on an individual basis, separately, singly, one by one
3. severally - in the order given; "the brothers were called Felix and Max, respectively"
respectively

THANK ME LATER!

2 Likes

Re: BBC Claims Abuja Was Built On Stolen Land by Nobody: 8:17pm On Oct 18, 2013
nagoma: y

Don't worry the issue will come up in the SNC. (If Nigeria will exist as an entity) The Federal government will start paying rent to the 3 states ( Niger,Kogi,Nassarawa ) according to how much land they rented out to make up the Federal Capital. Land is the most important Material resource on Earth.

Preach to them, brother.

It seems you understand them better.

No one jokes with land and if you're not a super-power or one of the five countries on the UNSC (err not US or Russia because UK, France and China don't get a pass all the time) - then you can't claim anyone's land.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Shehu Sani, Suleiman Hunkuyi & Journalist Attacked During Press Briefing (Pics) / Seyi Makinde Pays December Salary Today, 17th / Petrol Tanker Explodes In Lagos, Killing 15, Bank & Houses Burnt (VIDEO)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.