Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,396 members, 7,808,424 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 11:44 AM

What Weird Traditions Does Your Place Still Practice? - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / What Weird Traditions Does Your Place Still Practice? (553 Views)

7 Common Wedding Traditions And Their Origins! / The Ancient Town Of Awka: Fragments Of Its History, Traditions And Culture / Non-nigerians Pls Identify Urself Here. Let Us Into Ur Beliefs/cultures/traditions (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Weird Traditions Does Your Place Still Practice? by Nobody: 4:48pm On Oct 18, 2013
I travelled down to my home state and was shocked so many stories. First, i heard a pregnant woman doesnt watch/see a particular masquerade display or else she gives birth to a replica of the masquerade.

I also heard that if a thief is caught and beaten and perhaps, to death, he must be buried in the far away forest designated for such people and if fails, could bring a very disastrious calamity to the entire community.

I also heard if a sister sleeps with his brother in-law, the grave of late someone (anyone in the husband family) will sink as an indication, then the culprits must have to confess publicly before the gods are appeased or else, members of the two families would face different sicknesses and subsequent deaths and so many other weird traditions.

I was speechlessly shocked and i know so many other weird traditions are also in practice in other places.

What's yours? Share them!
Re: What Weird Traditions Does Your Place Still Practice? by homesteady(m): 4:55pm On Oct 18, 2013
If a child has some kinds of sickness, they'll put many marks on the child stomach or back! Something like tribal mark
Re: What Weird Traditions Does Your Place Still Practice? by Vivly(f): 5:17pm On Oct 18, 2013
If you call a deceased family member's name while crying, someone else in your family would die
Re: What Weird Traditions Does Your Place Still Practice? by homesteady(m): 5:24pm On Oct 18, 2013
Vivly: If you call a deceased family member's name while crying, someone else in your family would die

JESUS ! shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked

grin grin grin grin grin grin

2 Likes

Re: What Weird Traditions Does Your Place Still Practice? by Nobody: 8:35pm On Oct 18, 2013
If you shag a woman during the daytime and make her pregnant,she will give birth to an albino.. shocked shocked..

I think this was meant to discourage people from amoral activities many years ago cos they were expected to be busy in their farms during the daytime..

A young eshan/ishan undergraduate medico told me this and he really believed that superstition.
Re: What Weird Traditions Does Your Place Still Practice? by Nobody: 10:34pm On Oct 18, 2013
homesteady: If a child has some kinds of sickness, they'll put many marks on the child stomach or back! Something like tribal mark

I think my place also does a thing like this
Re: What Weird Traditions Does Your Place Still Practice? by Nobody: 10:35pm On Oct 18, 2013
Vivly: If you call a deceased family member's name while crying, someone else in your family would die

I think could be a superstition. Dont think it has physical effect
Re: What Weird Traditions Does Your Place Still Practice? by Nobody: 10:39pm On Oct 18, 2013
gbosaa: If you shag a woman during the daytime and make her pregnant,she will give birth to an albino.. shocked shocked..

I think this was meant to discourage people from amoral activities many years ago cos they were expected to be busy in their farms during the daytime..

A young eshan/ishan undergraduate medico told me this and he really believed that superstition.

I think that could just be a superstition. Might not really have physical effect. #just guess
Re: What Weird Traditions Does Your Place Still Practice? by toshmann(m): 2:42am On Oct 19, 2013
" What weird traditions does your place still practicing"

Poster abeg try correct the grammar wey you take do topic, make people no come think say nairaland na forum for mediocres

@topic
All these useless traditions wey someone commits a crime and other people in the families go die, na dem hold us back for centuries when the rest of the world de advance.
Re: What Weird Traditions Does Your Place Still Practice? by Vivly(f): 7:27am On Oct 19, 2013
There's this other one. If a man sleeps with another woman when his wife is pregnant, she'll surely have a spontaneous abortion[miscarriage]

(1) (Reply)

Apc And Ngige Rejects The Honor To Chukwuemeka Odumegwu-ojukwu / Looking For Zeemoore / Best Merry Christmas Quotes And Wishes

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 14
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.