Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,873 members, 7,802,809 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 10:13 PM

Should Alimony Be Practiced In Nigeria - Family (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Should Alimony Be Practiced In Nigeria (17030 Views)

Guys, 'prenuptial Agreement' To Avoid Alimony, Palimony And D Monies? / Divorce, Child Custody, Alimony And Other Issues / Polygamy, Forced Marriage Practiced In Texas.read On……… (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Should Alimony Be Practiced In Nigeria by israelmao(m): 8:03am On Mar 27, 2018
Even husbands deliberately run away from their responsiblities while in marriage let alone being apart.

1 Like

Re: Should Alimony Be Practiced In Nigeria by Jaykolo10(m): 8:05am On Mar 27, 2018
seriously it's hilarious nowadays that we tend to want to just side or give support to ladies who always play the victim card.... all I've seen here is either saying that one man is irresponsible or this or that.... there are plenty irresponsible women out there too.... Bleep alimony and put things in equal balance not putting one above the other

cry

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Should Alimony Be Practiced In Nigeria by Beedude(m): 8:10am On Mar 27, 2018
IdeyFindWife:

Plus a largely male-dominated governmental power structure.

Look around you, is it the Senate that're saints?, Or the Executive Arm?
Who's gonna legislate such laws? Who wan enforce am? The country has crude social welfare structures too. And there's no separating old-generation mentality policemen from their pepper-soup, bleaching creams and philandering especially with other men's wives which usually produces more divorces and the need for alimony!
The policy making and implementation levels are all populated with men who are staunch polygamists, serial cheats and babymama spawning old mofos but advocacy efforts should be sustained sha.

Everything is wrong with fathering kids and later disconnecting them from your provisional care.
Our Problem In Nigeria Is More Than Alimony. Enforcing Such Has So Many Disadvtgs. Same Usa That Enforce Alimony Also Legalise Same Sex Marriage. U Think They r Fools Abi ? We Mustnt Always Be Like Dem. We Are Africans
Re: Should Alimony Be Practiced In Nigeria by ImaIma1(f): 8:13am On Mar 27, 2018
Yes especially for the sake of 4he children. They really should not be made to pay for their parent's bad choices and poor judgment.

A friend of mine benefited from this insurance stuff. His mum, a single mum, had an insurance policy that he didn't even know about. When she died, he was called and he got millions. It was a big testimony.

I think more should be done to secure a child's future to avoid bringing up touts that would become a nuisance to the society.
Re: Should Alimony Be Practiced In Nigeria by victorian(f): 8:14am On Mar 27, 2018
jadyclem:

helpless women in what sense? who said a woman can't av her own dreams and aspirations and work to earn good money for herself? alimony is not helping d American society in any way so it will do more harm Dan good in the African society. you don even check d meaning of alimony sef? child support no bad, but alimony, divorce rate for naija go pass America own d moment Dem implement something like dat

I never said all the women in Nigeria are helpless and weak and at the same time there are weak helpless women, also there are strong self reliant women out there.

Am talking about protecting the rights of a weak woman who unfortunately become entangled with a terrible man in sheep clothing in marriage . Such women should be protected if thrown out of their homes or abandoned with children to cater for.

A man cannot just go Scot free, use a weak woman, leave her with children and take another wife. He should be made to make provisions for the kids, they both had together, when the going was good and especially if he earns more than her.

Or if she is just an housewife Immediately they got Married. Whereas she was working somewhere, taking care of her bills single-handedly before this so called knight in shining armour, strolled in with his sweet words. And most annoying part is convincing her to drop her job or close her business to become his wife at home.

Such women must be compensated and their kids provided for by the husband who feels he has seen a better love elsewhere.

Some men can be so convincing in their seemingly sweet promises and innocent smile masking the opposite of what he's putting on, that even the devil will shudder in excitement and wonder .

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Should Alimony Be Practiced In Nigeria by Rockyrascal(m): 8:21am On Mar 27, 2018
wwwtortoise:
Poor journalism.

Next time you are writing on a subject matter that is quite uncommon, it is advisable to explain the topic in details.

For those of us that don't know what alimony is

'a husband's (or wife's) provision for a spouse after separation or divorce; maintenance' and usually enforceable by law.
thank you for this; I didn't even know the meaning, I was about to Google it's meaning before I saw your post.

3 Likes

Re: Should Alimony Be Practiced In Nigeria by dreality: 8:27am On Mar 27, 2018
Why do christian men like being enslaved by their women?
In a christian home, the wife controls (from marriage contracts, to child custody, to inheritance).
In the muslim home, the man is the king of 2, 3, 4 wives and they rival to please him.
Continue christian men with your eternal enslavement.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Should Alimony Be Practiced In Nigeria by Greatzeus(m): 8:39am On Mar 27, 2018
soulglo:
Alimony is even more important in Nigeria than here where women have a better chance of reinventing themselves after a divorce. Women in Nigeria give up a heck of a lot if a man decides to just get up and walk away. This goes hand in hand with child support. If people knew that they would pay child support for a child until the age of majority they would think twice about keeping multiple wives and mistresses and having children like rabbits
This is one reason while DMX is broke, during his fortune lading days,he was on top of the world,he had several baby mamas,about 13 kids or so. When his career swindled,he was giving more than he was making, which eventually made him bankrupt.
Though he has drug issues too.
As rich as Jay Z or Diddy are,if they start paying child support to 13kids monthly,I am sure they will feel it.
Re: Should Alimony Be Practiced In Nigeria by IdeyFindWife: 8:43am On Mar 27, 2018
Beedude:

Our Problem In Nigeria Is More Than Alimony. Enforcing Such Has So Many Disadvtgs. Same Usa That Enforce Alimony Also Legalise Same Sex Marriage. U Think They r Fools Abi ? We Mustnt Always Be Like Dem. We Are Africans

Revamping alimony laws in Nigeria has to be deeply researched, for its projected impact on every aspect of societal life before it's dabbled into.

Not that they don't even exist but they're largely unfair to the kids and the sincere victims of marital fallouts.
Re: Should Alimony Be Practiced In Nigeria by lobell: 8:44am On Mar 27, 2018
If you breakup in a court in Nigeria, the court makes it mandatory for the man to pay upkeep for the family.

1 Like

Re: Should Alimony Be Practiced In Nigeria by Mcreloaded(m): 9:32am On Mar 27, 2018
Try and google the rate of husbands killing their ex wives in UK because of this alimony natter especially Nigerian men in the UK are highest on the list of those killing their ex and are ready to go to jail for it.
I read about a man that shot his ex wife and killed the ex mother also staying in the UK all of them from Nigeria. And he called the police after the killing.
His reason is that he is now over 60 years old and the court told him to vacate his house after the divorce and after living in the street for a month and could not start all over again because to own a house is not easy especially when you are old so he picked a gun and went to his own former house and shot the ex and her mother.
I wonder how this kind of scenario will play in nigeria

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Should Alimony Be Practiced In Nigeria by LivinaPatrick(f): 9:33am On Mar 27, 2018
Na wa o cheesy grin
I'll comment later
Re: Should Alimony Be Practiced In Nigeria by Pataricatering(f): 9:51am On Mar 27, 2018
ediemafio:
I agree with u,however,child support should b limited to fit its purpose ONLY.By that,i mean that,it should not be a loophole for women to blackmail men and it shld not be fashioned in consistence with western methods where a mans assests r shared or where he has to leave his house ect,he should maintain the ex and paid the kid's fees act and shld NEVER mean a portion of his value..
oh ! When the woman is helping you raise your value by taking care and raising your kids usually at the detriment of her own advancement you then think the “ value “ belongs to only you Hmmn

1 Like

Re: Should Alimony Be Practiced In Nigeria by ENG1110: 9:53am On Mar 27, 2018
jadyclem:
I can't even believe that you even used USA as an example. how has alimony helped to sustain marriages in USA? Bros do ur study well u'll discover day alimony is not helping d us marriage and family system because most women are leaving their marriages for flimsy reasons because of alimony. also, girls are getting pregnant any how because they want to squeeze out moni from men. if u say child support, den no much wahala, but most Nigerian men still take care of their kids o, na d irresponsible ones na Dem dey run away from their responsibilities.

I quite agree with you. Contrary to the OP's opinion, alimony from observation actually promote divorce. When you can get half the man's asset, and still be getting monthly pay, it encourages divorce. However, i am in support of child support. I have a friend whose parents divorced, and both remarried, and the kids were left on their own. Child support would have helped them.

1 Like

Re: Should Alimony Be Practiced In Nigeria by Pataricatering(f): 9:56am On Mar 27, 2018
victorian:

I never said all the women in Nigeria are helpless and weak and at the same time there are weak helpless women, also there are strong self reliant women out there.

Am talking about protecting the rights of a weak woman who unfortunately become entangled with a terrible man in sheep clothing in marriage . Such women should be protected if thrown out of their homes or abandoned with children to cater for.

A man cannot just go Scot free, use a weak woman, leave her with children and take another wife. He should be made to make provisions for the kids, they both had together, when the going was good and especially if he earns more than her.

Or if she is just an housewife Immediately they got Married. Whereas she was working somewhere, taking care of her bills single-handedly before this so called knight in shining armour, strolled in with his sweet words. And most annoying part is convincing her to drop her job or close her business to become his wife at home.

Such women must be compensated and their kids provided for by the husband who feels he has seen a better love elsewhere.

Some men can be so convincing in their seemingly sweet promises and innocent smile masking the opposite of what he's putting on, that even the devil will shudder in excitement and wonder .
don’t mind them ! A woman will not follow her own career path just to be there for the children , won’t take up opportunities that present themselves just so the man won’t feel threatened , they will now be talking about “ my money “ “ my house “ when things don’t work out ! Nonsense !

2 Likes

Re: Should Alimony Be Practiced In Nigeria by Pataricatering(f): 10:03am On Mar 27, 2018
The reason why I feel sorry for Nigerian women who carry men on top their head like gala ! After sacrificing time , career , birthing and raising kids - look at what most of the guys here are typing ? Men expect your career to take a backseat to their own , your advancement must never surpass his own , your opportunities must be thrown away so you can raise his kids all the while he is advancing in his own career - then when things get bad he conveniently forgets that he owes a good part of his success to the fact that he didn’t have to raise and care for his own kids , he didn’t lose opportunities he would have lost if he had the baggage of his children to carry etc .

4 Likes

Re: Should Alimony Be Practiced In Nigeria by Espada10: 10:03am On Mar 27, 2018
damn..alot of hungry broke females viewing this thread now..I have never seen so much pink colour before
Re: Should Alimony Be Practiced In Nigeria by Johnson5258: 10:10am On Mar 27, 2018
Yes, provided the woman remains single. that will make the men think twice before venturing into divorce and if it is the woman that opted to go, no gratuity.
Re: Should Alimony Be Practiced In Nigeria by Amhappy(f): 10:26am On Mar 27, 2018
I think there is child support in Nigeria already through welfare. My brother inlaw is paying something like that in Lagos

2 Likes

Re: Should Alimony Be Practiced In Nigeria by lookingfly: 10:27am On Mar 27, 2018
So if the woman now leaves, who will pay? lipsrsealed
Re: Should Alimony Be Practiced In Nigeria by Tosinville(m): 10:33am On Mar 27, 2018
Alimony ke in a country where you barely get a menial job to even support yourself ? No not right now so that many Nigerian men won’t commit suicide, wait till the nation settings get advance.
Re: Should Alimony Be Practiced In Nigeria by Varys: 10:40am On Mar 27, 2018
Alimony ko! Do you know the problem that alimony and child support payments have caused in the US? Many men's lives have been destroyed because of the law. Women have capitalised on the law and have taken everything from a lot of men. Why would I as a woman not divorce a man that has money and I have a child for; when I know that I will get his house, have custody of his child (if a minor) and still get paid both alimony and child support? God forbid Oh! A lot of women will die in this country if the US style law is implemented in Nigeria.

I am not saying that men should be irresponsible, most Nigerian men take care of their kids anyways. The truth is that a man will take care of his child either financially or materially if he is not forced to do it. Women too should strive for success so that they can take care of their kids too. It take two people to bring a child to the world.
Re: Should Alimony Be Practiced In Nigeria by PETUK(m): 10:50am On Mar 27, 2018
So no news that Seun have dig up 2013 post......
I kill you before you start to receive it
Re: Should Alimony Be Practiced In Nigeria by jadyclem(m): 10:57am On Mar 27, 2018
victorian:

I understood your point but compensating the woman is not d issue, d issue is making provision for d kids.

any woman dat decides to be a full time house wife with nothing to fend for herself in dis modern world is on a very long thing o. it's women dat see men as their only source of meal ticket in d event of a break up that are actually stranded. women dat av something doing don't go through much stress during such times.
if provision is made for d children after such break up, d said weak woman won't go through much stress. so child support is d way to go and they should make d law in such a way that it will favour only those that are legally married so baby mama go reduce small.
Re: Should Alimony Be Practiced In Nigeria by jadyclem(m): 11:02am On Mar 27, 2018
ENG1110:

I quite agree with you. Contrary to the OP's opinion, alimony from observation actually promote divorce. When you can get half the man's asset, and still be getting monthly pay, it encourages divorce. However, i am in support of child support. I have a friend whose parents divorced, and both remarried, and the kids were left on their own. Child support would have helped them.

alimony for naija go turn marriage to business venture. the reduction in marriage rate will be child's play if there's anything like alimony in naija. guys go dey see marriage dey run. beside, I can't marry u and pay a huge bride price and u'll still be entitled to half of my property should you decide to leave d marriage. e no go fit work!

1 Like

Re: Should Alimony Be Practiced In Nigeria by kastroud(m): 11:23am On Mar 27, 2018
where are our nairaland feminist. I expect them to show up here ooo since men and women are equal then men should not be the once that have to shoulder the whole blame of taking care of a family. that being said I am a string believer that a woman should be able to stand on her own regardless of her husband in such a case having to depend on your husband for ur living even after the marriage is over would not be needed.
Re: Should Alimony Be Practiced In Nigeria by Bimpe29: 12:26pm On Mar 27, 2018
It is a welcome idea. I suppose it was in our tax law in the past.
Re: Should Alimony Be Practiced In Nigeria by nairalandbuzz(m): 4:15pm On Mar 27, 2018
prov1029:
I am a believer that marriage is an institution that should be preserved, however sometimes when you look at the various break ups, you find out the woman and children have a lot to lose. Too many interruptions from family, friends and all this advice of take a second wife to give me grandchildren. So I suggest alimony should be brought to the table. So that when a man either impregnates or leaves his wife or a woman, he must be made to pay child support this way control will be brought to the institution called marriage and children will not have to suffer for the irresponsibility of their parent.
Reason i propose these is that little is done by parents to take care of their children's future. For example, how many parents are willing to take up insurance on their life so that when they get old and pass on their children will become beneficiaries.
I once heard a man who now lives abroad say his child is irrespossibel and he has no business taking care of him (a child he had when he visited nigeria while married). Mind you his elder brother who has five children of his own has been taking care of the child since birth. This man lives overseas and is married with children, do you think he can utter this in the country he resides which happens to be the US.
Hence my concern will correctly say what are parents doing to help their children other than blaming society or federation. What securities are their for the upcoming generation. But when they pass on children are expected to perform during burials to the tune of millions
Re: Should Alimony Be Practiced In Nigeria by Therealev: 4:27pm On Mar 27, 2018
Alimony ko, Simbifunds ni.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Is The Girls More Useful In The Home Than The Boys? / Is It Okay To Let Your Fiancée Know Your Monthly Salary Range? / Parents Learn Of Daughter’s Death On Facebook

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 67
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.