Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,310 members, 7,808,047 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 05:45 AM

ABS: Nigerian Interpretation And Misuse. - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / ABS: Nigerian Interpretation And Misuse. (4518 Views)

Misuse Of Power By Some Vehicle Insurance Officers. / What Does The ABS Sign On Dash Board Means / Error Codes Interpretation And Solutions (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

ABS: Nigerian Interpretation And Misuse. by Ikenna351(m): 10:52am On Oct 19, 2013
Sometime this year (not quite long), I bought a tokunbo vehicle for someone in Abuja and drove it down to Anambra state to deliver the car to the owner. While into the journey, between Lokoja and Enugu, I took a bypass, that cut some kilometres off the journey. The road have some bumps, before you get to Otupka, Benue state. I got to a bump, slowed down and was about climbing it, I viewed my reaview mirror, as I always do. I saw a Toyota Sequoia V8 4WD 1st Generation, heading towards my tail on top speed. Before I could say jack, the SUV smashed my vehicle and pushed it off the road.

The impact was so terrible that it threw out the radio set out. I came down and checked. The rear of the car I was in was in terrible bad shape while the Sequoia's Bumper and bumper guard was in bad shape too, but the bumper guard was a written enough. I met 2 occupants in the Sequoia, a driver and the car owner, a madam. The driver was begging, claiming he thought the brake could catch as he was getting too close to me but the brake disappointed him as he applied the brake. This was a tokunbo car I bought for someone and he hasn't seen the vehicle for the first time and someone, out of carelessness created this terrible mess for me. What a situation!

We were in the middle of no-where, so there was nothing both of us could do there arguing or playing stubborn. We still had about 4 hours drive to get to Enugu from that spot. Luckily, we were both going to Anambra state and the woman final destination was Awka. But I would have to take the car to Coal Camp Enugu to fix the car, since I couldn't just take the car in that shape to the owner. She begged me heaven and Earth to take what she have on her to take to Enugu and fix the vehicle. I had no option than to take whatever she gave me and continued the journey with the car in a very terrible shape. I had to sleep in Enugu a night to replace, panel beat and re-sprayed the car rear. Luckily, the owner of the understood, but a terrible experience am not sure I will forget. I suffered neck pain for close to a month because of that incident.

My point in the above story is about how Nigerians define ABS and misuse it as such. The driver believed that ABS of the car would reduce the braking distance. For that he continued on the high speed till he got too close, only to realise how wrong he was. Most times, you hear Nigerians telling you his/her car's braking distance is so good because it has ABS. But to the best of my knowledge, if you understand how ABS works, you will believe with me that ABS doesn't necessarily reduce the braking distance, rather it will likely increase the distance to help the driver steer away from hitting an object, since it prevents any wheel from locking when brake pedal is fully depressed. The driver's thinking distance was poor because he didn't understand that vehicle's braking distance.

ABS wheel sensor senses a wheel about to lock, signals to ABS ECU and the ABS ECU via the ABS controller/pump reduces the pressure of fluid going to that wheel to release and prevent it from locking, so that the front wheels can still steer, while the brake system still try to get the car to a halt. I do not see reduction in braking distance here.

Because of this wrong ABS definition by Nigerians, you see a lot of Nigerians driving recklessly in the city, telling you "My Car has ABS. No shaking!" Yet you see scratches and batches on the car here and there. Some taken so much body filler that you can't tell the model of the car of the car anymore since it has gone out of shape.

In the city, I craw when am behind the wheel. Some forum members who have been in my car will explain better. They will overtake and curse me for crawling and slowing them down. But who cares? When I don't even hear the rubbish coming out of their mouth, since my windows are always up with my music entertaining me. But whenever I steer into expressway, catch me if you can, unless am not in the mood.

Yes, I craw in the town because I do not want to give you the room to come and bash me. Because when fly off in the city, they would fly behind you. But their brake system may not be as good as yours or they may not understand their cars braking distance and when you suddenly apply your brake and stop, they will hit you from behind. We see that happen everyday. So, I don't need to talk more on that. But mostly happen because "My car get ABS" which will affect their thinking distance and make poor judgement about their cars breaking distance.

If you have a driver driving you, be very firm on how they drive you or your car, even when you are not around. Because whatever trouble they cause with that car, it's on your head. I knew how much the woman cuffed out that day for me to use in fixing the vehicle, which at the end of the day, was not even close to the amount I spent in fixing the car. Sometimes, you see some mad people driving recklessly in town. When you peeped in, they would drivers, alone without their Ogas. But when they hit other people's vehicles, the Ogas will have to come and bail out his vehicle and settle the victims of the incidents. Am not even talking about when they send Pedestrians to mortuary. My point is, try and educate them about car brake system, especially the wrong ABS interpretation and misuse.

Yes, their may be other brake systems installed in the recent cars to improve the over all braking distance. But understanding your car's brake system will help your thinking distance and finally, the over all stopping distance of the vehicle.

Ikenna.

7 Likes

Re: ABS: Nigerian Interpretation And Misuse. by Nobody: 11:59am On Oct 19, 2013
Sympathize with you bro and moreover most motorists are guilty of disregarding abs code as far as the vehicle braking capability is present.cheers
Re: ABS: Nigerian Interpretation And Misuse. by Nobody: 12:02pm On Oct 19, 2013
Ikenna you are right on point. Thanks for educating us. Good job!
Re: ABS: Nigerian Interpretation And Misuse. by biggiyke(m): 12:02pm On Oct 19, 2013
I think the general notion of Nigerians about ABS stems from their misinterpretation of the acronym ABS. Most Nigerian car owners and mechanics think ABS means Automatic Brake System; hence their abuse of the system.

ABS actually stands for Anti-Lock Braking System, whose sole aim is to prevent locking of the wheels during scenarios such as hard braking, braking in wet/slippery or uneven surface. It gives the driver better steering control unlike non-ABS cars that can experience wheel-lock, causing skidding (or screeching grin) etc.

1 Like

Re: ABS: Nigerian Interpretation And Misuse. by Nobody: 12:08pm On Oct 19, 2013
You have very strong valid points. Antilock Braking System, Electronic Brakeforce Distribution System, Automatic Cruise Control Sysyems and other safety features in a vehicle are not totally independent from the drivers state of alertness, infact, they call for much more state of carefullness on the part of the driver. All car owners manual will still give strong warning to the owner/driver that you that you drive sober be alert, drive defensively, avoid dangerous manoveurs, senseless overspeeding etc. Most people have this mentality that because na new motot or JEEP or HILUX or HUMMER BUMBER, or BMW or BENZ their brake na match and catch which is totallu wrong. They forget that even those machines aren't totally immune from malfunctions. On March this year I was coming to Abuja from Ondo. In Okene, after the Chief Palace, the narrow highway leads downwards and have a very dangerous curve towards the left which limits drivers visibility. On getting close to that area I slowed down to 40KM/H just at the curve I saw two large trucks trying to overtake one another on that narrow dangerous curve leaving no room for an uncoming vehicle. Quickly, I slowed down totally and moved into a deeply eroded gutter at the shoulder of the road thus making my car lean in a manner that could make it rollover. When I came out of the erroded gutter, I kept wondering if I had driven at a higher speed those trucks would had crush me because there was no room for braking if I was on high speed.

1 Like

Re: ABS: Nigerian Interpretation And Misuse. by ZIMDRILL(m): 1:29pm On Oct 19, 2013
Ikenna351: Sometime this year (not quite long), I bought a tokunbo vehicle for someone in Abuja and drove it down to Anambra state to deliver the car to the owner. While into the journey, between Lokoja and Enugu, I took a bypass, that cut some kilometres off the journey. The road have some bumps, before you get to Otupka, Benue state. I got to a bump, slowed down and was about climbing it, I viewed my reaview mirror, as I always do. I saw a Toyota Sequoia V8 4WD 1st Generation, heading towards my tail on top speed. Before I could say jack, the SUV smashed my vehicle and pushed it off the road.

The impact was so terrible that it threw out the radio set out. I came down and checked. The rear of the car I was in was in terrible bad shape while the Sequoia's Bumper and bumper guard was in bad shape too, but the bumper guard was a written enough. I met 2 occupants in the Sequoia, a driver and the car owner, a madam. The driver was begging, claiming he thought the brake could catch as he was getting too close to me but the brake disappointed him as he applied the brake. This was a tokunbo car I bought for someone and he hasn't seen the vehicle for the first time and someone, out of carelessness created this terrible mess for me. What a situation!

We were in the middle of no-where, so there was nothing both of us could do there arguing or playing stubborn. We still had about 4 hours drive to get to Enugu from that spot. Luckily, we were both going to Anambra state and the woman final destination was Awka. But I would have to take the car to Coal Camp Enugu to fix the car, since I couldn't just take the car in that shape to the owner. She begged me heaven and Earth to take what she have on her to take to Enugu and fix the vehicle. I had no option than to take whatever she gave me and continued the journey with the car in a very terrible shape. I had to sleep in Enugu a night to replace, panel beat and re-sprayed the car rear. Luckily, the owner of the understood, but a terrible experience am not sure I will forget. I suffered neck pain for close to a month because of that incident.

My point in the above story is about how Nigerians define ABS and misuse it as such. The driver believed that ABS of the car would reduce the braking distance. For that he continued on the high speed till he got too close, only to realise how wrong he was. Most times, you hear Nigerians telling you his/her car's braking distance is so good because it has ABS. But to the best of my knowledge, if you understand how ABS works, you will believe with me that ABS doesn't necessarily reduce the braking distance, rather it will likely increase the distance to help the driver steer away from hitting an object, since it prevents any wheel from locking when brake pedal is fully depressed. The driver's thinking distance was poor because he didn't understand that vehicle's braking distance.

ABS wheel sensor senses a wheel about to lock, signals to ABS ECU and the ABS ECU via the ABS controller/pump reduces the pressure of fluid going to that wheel to release and prevent it from locking, so that the front wheels can still steer, while the brake system still try to get the car to a halt. I do not see reduction in braking distance here.

Because of this wrong ABS definition by Nigerians, you see a lot of Nigerians driving recklessly in the city, telling you "My Car has ABS. No shaking!" Yet you see scratches and batches on the car here and there. Some taken so much body filler that you can't tell the model of the car of the car anymore since it has gone out of shape.

In the city, I craw when am behind the wheel. Some forum members who have been in my car will explain better. They will overtake and curse me for crawling and slowing them down. But who cares? When I don't even hear the rubbish coming out of their mouth, since my windows are always up with my music entertaining me. But whenever I steer into expressway, catch me if you can, unless am not in the mood.

Yes, I craw in the town because I do not want to give you the room to come and bash me. Because when fly off in the city, they would fly behind you. But their brake system may not be as good as yours or they may not understand their cars braking distance and when you suddenly apply your brake and stop, they will hit you from behind. We see that happen everyday. So, I don't need to talk more on that. But mostly happen because "My car get ABS" which will affect their thinking distance and make poor judgement about their cars breaking distance.

If you have a driver driving you, be very firm on how they drive you or your car, even when you are not around. Because whatever trouble they cause with that car, it's on your head. I knew how much the woman cuffed out that day for me to use in fixing the vehicle, which at the end of the day, was not even close to the amount I spent in fixing the car. Sometimes, you see some mad people driving recklessly in town. When you peeped in, they would drivers, alone without their Ogas. But when they hit other people's vehicles, the Ogas will have to come and bail out his vehicle and settle the victims of the incidents. Am not even talking about when they send Pedestrians to mortuary. My point is, try and educate them about car brake system, especially the wrong ABS interpretation and misuse.

Yes, their may be other brake systems installed in the recent cars to improve the over all braking distance. But understanding your car's brake system will help your thinking distance and finally, the over all stopping distance of the vehicle.

Ikenna.

Automatic Braking System killed me grin grin grin grin grin grin

why is that most nigerians here mention where they bought the car as part of the description eg "tokunbo vehicle"
Re: ABS: Nigerian Interpretation And Misuse. by Ikenna351(m): 2:42pm On Oct 19, 2013
ZIM DRILL:

Automatic Braking System killed me grin grin grin grin grin grin

why is that most nigerians here mention where they bought the car as part of the description eg "tokunbo vehicle"

Tokunbo is an aka for 2nd hand, but foreign used. After reading the abuse we dish out on cars in Nigeria, will you still think that a 2nd hand Nigerian used and a 2nd, 3rd or 4th foreign used car will be the same?

Even if a car is bought brand new in Nigeria and later put for sale as 2nd hand car, a lot of Nigerians would still prefer 4th hand used foreign one to it.

Ikenna.

1 Like

Re: ABS: Nigerian Interpretation And Misuse. by Nobody: 2:52pm On Oct 19, 2013
speak for your self man!

Ikenna351:

Tokunbo is an aka for 2nd hand, but foreign used. After reading the abuse we dish out on cars in Nigeria, will you still think that a 2nd hand Nigerian used and a 2nd, 3rd or 4th foreign used car will be the same?

Even if a car is bought brand new in Nigeria and later put for sale as 2nd hand car, a lot of Nigerians would still prefer 4th hand used foreign one to it.

Ikenna.
Re: ABS: Nigerian Interpretation And Misuse. by elektra80: 2:56pm On Oct 19, 2013
Abs explained. And yes abs does reduce braking distance

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xd5KDvXbE3M
Re: ABS: Nigerian Interpretation And Misuse. by ikeyman00(m): 4:17pm On Oct 19, 2013
@@^^^ how

i thought it is the other way

u need to give in more distance for ABS to break

and upon that it does not stop where u intended to break

therefore if u arent careful u will hit someone at the back
Re: ABS: Nigerian Interpretation And Misuse. by ziccoit: 5:44pm On Oct 19, 2013
elektra80: Abs explained. And yes abs does reduce braking distance

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xd5KDvXbE3M

That "ABS reduces braking distance" was not stated or implied in this video. I don't know where you get that.
Re: ABS: Nigerian Interpretation And Misuse. by ikeyman00(m): 5:53pm On Oct 19, 2013
^^^ no its doesnt; it actually increases

still me!
Re: ABS: Nigerian Interpretation And Misuse. by chucky234(m): 5:55pm On Oct 19, 2013
I fly when I drive around Lasgidi but I'm always mindful of my brake,I hardly think about that ABS thing,I always brake from distance to avoid hitting the car in front of me or being hit from behind.
Re: ABS: Nigerian Interpretation And Misuse. by elektra80: 6:38pm On Oct 19, 2013
ziccoit:

That "ABS reduces braking distance" was not stated or implied in this video. I don't know where you get that.
Re: ABS: Nigerian Interpretation And Misuse. by elektra80: 8:01pm On Oct 19, 2013
ziccoit:

Bro, abs reduces braking distance and its a proven fact.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZSqGPyWroes

watch from 2:10, then also see 2:40. Without abs at full speed when u brake suddenly ur wheels are locked and the car will glide across the road. With abs, the wheels are not locked which gives u control of the car, the car will come to a stop without gliding on the road, hence shorter braking distance. Also with abs u can steer to any direction u want without losing control.

Re: ABS: Nigerian Interpretation And Misuse. by elektra80: 8:08pm On Oct 19, 2013
ikeyman00: ^^^ no its doesnt; it actually increases

still me!

HUh, seriously u are thinking ABS increases braking distance? Why would a car manufacturer waste so much energy and money to fit something on a car that will increase braking distance? C'mon man, use ur common sense. ABS reduces braking distance, watch this video, focus on 2:10 upwards.

Re: ABS: Nigerian Interpretation And Misuse. by ikeyman00(m): 8:21pm On Oct 19, 2013
@@@

^^^ NO no i dnt believe u!

conventional break works like that but with the abs it moves a little bit as it approaches a stop
Re: ABS: Nigerian Interpretation And Misuse. by ZIMDRILL(m): 8:24pm On Oct 19, 2013
Ikenna351:

Ikenna.

i get what you are saying but whats thats got to do with problems of a cars that infor doesnt help a mechanic at all

there is no need to mention that the car is a used one 2nd etc just get to the point eg my volvo s40 2001 2.0litre is having this problem

1 Like

Re: ABS: Nigerian Interpretation And Misuse. by elektra80: 8:29pm On Oct 19, 2013
ikeyman00: @@@

^^^ NO no i dnt believe u!

conventional break works like that but with the abs it moves a little bit as it approaches a stop

You don't have to believe me, I didn't invent ABS. But the truth is it reduces braking distance SIGNIFICANTLY. If u are on top speed and brake hard with conventional brake, ur wheels will lock and ur car will glide some extra distance on the road before stopping. With ABS ur car will not glide before coming to a stop because ur wheels are not locked. DO ur research well bro... u don't have to believe me but I know what I am saying. You didn't watch the video I posted did u? Abi u no get data to use watch am.
Re: ABS: Nigerian Interpretation And Misuse. by Gee2728(m): 8:56pm On Oct 19, 2013
No matter what u driver, car, train, bicycle,plan or keke......the faster u go the longer distance it takes 2 stop. The ABS in mercedes cars work in conjunction with ESP (electronic stability program) mostly preventing unnecessary wheelspin and direct the power to the wheel that requires it. Speeding in town is a reckless way of using ur car most pple have not changed their brake pad in a year and yet expect instant stopping force when no be BREMBO them they use.
Re: ABS: Nigerian Interpretation And Misuse. by Ikenna351(m): 9:06pm On Oct 19, 2013
ZIM DRILL:

i get what you are saying but whats thats got to do with problems of a cars that infor doesnt help a mechanic at all

there is no need to mention that the car is a used one 2nd etc just get to the point eg my volvo s40 2001 2.0litre is having this problem

They are not the same. The diagnosis of Nigerian used and toknubo are not the same as well, whether the two cars are of the same model.

If someone complains that his 2001 model Nigerian used Peugeot 406 is running very thirsty, and someone else that owns a freshly tokunbo 2001 model Peugeot 406 complains of the same rich running issue, the diagnosis wont be the same. Why? For Nigerian used, you need to check if the thermostat is still in the cooling system; you need to check if the radiator electrical fan is still factory connected; you need to check if the o2 sensor has not been disconnected, since the catalytic converter must been removed; you need to check if the poor car still have factory recommended tyre size or terribly overinflated; you need to check how many injection system sensors/components are still connected, etc. All these mentioned above have to be ruled first before you even think of going into the troubleshooting proper.

But for tokunbo car, all you need to do is plug in a scanner, disconnect the wiring connector of the faulty sensors/components, replace the faulty components and reconnect the connectors. The work is finished, shikena.

Now, do you still think all 2001 model Peugeot 406 are the same when troubleshooting, whether Nigerian used or toknubo?

Last Tuesday, I went to scan a Toyota Avenza at APO that have refused to start, for only God knows how long. As soon as I opened the bonnet, I was shocked with what I saw. The complete engine wiring loom was completely butchered. I couldn't even count the number of wires I found naked. I still picked courage to go ahead with the scanning. I pepped under the steering wheel to look for the OBD II scan port and so another hell under there. Wires of different colours were cross cutting each other, butchery here and there. It was at that point that I became very scared to plug in my scanner, for fear of explosion. Even when I eventually plugged in the scanner, it failed to communicate with the ECU, which I was not surprised, anyway. I quickly unplugged it and called it a day. Two days ago, the owner of the car called and said the have eventually started after another mechanic came and opened up the timing belt chamber and found out that the previous mechanic timed the engine wrongly when replacing the timing belt. He got it corrected and the car started once. So because of wrong timing, they had to butcher the whole wire in the car looking for the culprit that made the car stop starting. That's Nigerian used car for you!

Anyway, let's not derail this thread with Nigerian used vs Tokunbo. It should be a topic on its own.

Ikenna.

2 Likes

Re: ABS: Nigerian Interpretation And Misuse. by elektra80: 9:19pm On Oct 19, 2013
Ikenna351:

They are not the same. The diagnosis of Nigerian used and toknubo are not the same as well, whether the two cars are of the same model.

If someone complains that his 2001 model Nigerian used Peugeot 406 is running very thirsty, and someone else that owns a freshly tokunbo 2001 model Peugeot 406 complains of the same rich running issue, the diagnosis wont be the same. Why? For Nigerian used, you need to check if the thermostat is still in the cooling system; you need to check if the radiator electrical fan is still factory connected; you need to check if the o2 sensor has not been disconnected, since the catalytic converter must been removed; you need to check if the poor car still have factory recommended tyre size or terribly overinflated; you need to check how many injection system sensors/components are still connected, etc. All these mentioned above have to be ruled first before you even think of going into the troubleshooting proper.

But for tokunbo car, all you need to do is plug in a scanner, disconnect the wiring connector of the faulty sensors/components, replace the faulty components and reconnect the connectors. The work is finished, shikena.

Now, do you still think all 2001 model Peugeot 406 are the same when troubleshooting, whether Nigerian used or toknubo?

Last Tuesday, I went to scan a Toyota Avenza at APO that have refused to start, for only God knows how long. As soon as I opened the bonnet, I was shocked with what I saw. The complete engine wiring loom was completely butchered. I couldn't even count the number of wires I found naked. I still picked courage to go ahead with the scanning. I pepped under the steering wheel to look for the OBD II scan port and so another hell under there. Wires of different colours were cross cutting each other, butchery here and there. It was at that point that I became very scared to plug in my scanner, for fear of explosion. Even when I eventually plugged in the scanner, it failed to communicate with the ECU, which I was not surprised, anyway. I quickly unplugged it and called it a day. Two days ago, the owner of the car called and said the have eventually started after another mechanic came and opened up the timing belt chamber and found out that the previous mechanic timed the engine wrongly when replacing the timing belt. He got it corrected and the car started once. So because of wrong timing, they had to butcher the whole wire in the car looking for the culprit that made the car stop starting. That's Nigerian used car for you!

Anyway, let's not derail this thread with Nigerian used vs Tokunbo. It should be a topic on its own.

Ikenna.

You are very correct. Very funny in autos section I see adverts like this: For sale, Nigerian used 2007 Toyota Highlander bought brand new in 2007. As if the tokunbo was not also bought brand new lol. For Nigerian used cars, once the warranty period has elapsed then the abuse starts.
Re: ABS: Nigerian Interpretation And Misuse. by Ikenna351(m): 9:38pm On Oct 19, 2013
Sometimes, we think when there is something new, the older ones seize to be good. Anyone who have used a foreign assembled Peugeot 504 GL with 4-Wheel disc and PAN 504 with rear Wheel drum brakes, will understand better what I mean. The 504 GL with the 4-wheel disc brake had single chamber master cylinder, unlike the PAN models with double chambers master cylinder. Will stop here on this.

You could drive your car with working ABS for 5 years or more without making use of it. ABS is only there for one thing: to steer out of object, since the 4 wheels will be free, giving you room to direct the car nose out of danger. Unlike a locked wheel that move directly to the danger, no matter how you try to steer the car out of it. From the basics of how ABS works, it wasn't invented to reduce braking distance. Probably, it has been improved on, but that's a story for another day.

Lets not forget, like I noted in one of my earlier posts, that there are other newer brake systems that come as standard in newer cars, to improve the entire brake system, which may reduce the braking distance of the vehicle installed.

A car with faulty ABS doesn't mean the brake wont work, only that the ABS is off. The key here is understanding of ones car brake system and know how you follow other cars from behind.

Relying on ABS is a very wrong thing for one to do. Its electric. We all know how electronics are reliable, compared to mechanicals. Those wheel sensors can disappoint one when the ABS is needed. The communication between the wheel ABS sensors and the ECU could terminate or go off, in the middle of ABS operation. You pushed your brake pedal to the floor, steering the car out of the danger, jumping potholes and gullies in the process, expecting the communication between the two to remain in tact?

If you understand your car brake properly, you don't need the ABS to stop your car from hitting or steering out of an object .

Ikenna.
Re: ABS: Nigerian Interpretation And Misuse. by elektra80: 10:40pm On Oct 19, 2013
The truth is ABS is a safety feature and it does reduce braking distance. And I don't agree that if u understand ur car properly, u don't need ABS to stop u from hitting or steering out of an object.. that is bull crap. Why do manufacturers install ABS then. Now I am not saying we should drive recklessly because we have ABS.. far from that. No matter how good u are on the wheels, sometimes we encounter an emergency where we need to stomp on the brake at high speed, especially on a slippery road, Now tell me how will u stop that car fast enough if u don't have ABS. Your car will slip and u lose control without able to steer it out of danger.. this is where ABS comes in, at least with ABS u have a better chance of steering the car out of danger. A lot of people have lost their lives because of wheels locking.

The problem with most Nigerians is they don't know when their ABS is working or not. I have entered several vehicles with ABS light on yet the owners think their ABS is working. Yes I have been ignorant too in the past, I use to drive a car with the ABS light always on and I thought I had working ABS not knowing its faulty. A lot of vehicles on our roads have this ABS light always illuminated on the dashboard and if u ask the owners they don't know why its on and they think their cars have ABS now knowing its as good as conventional brake.
Re: ABS: Nigerian Interpretation And Misuse. by ikeyman00(m): 11:39pm On Oct 19, 2013
^^^^ u see u are shooting urself in the foot ahah

ikennna did tell u ABS can only kick in when u hit those break pedal hard at emergency usually so u have a situation the four wheels doesnt lock which allows u to steer out of trouble.

i have come to understand that the fact u have ur ABS light on doesnt necessarily mean it isnt working

when u look under ur car those lines that goes from the bonnet all through to the end isnt just the fuel line

some are the lines that connect the ABS sensors at the real

a simple cut will set the ABS light off nevermind a faulty sensor
Re: ABS: Nigerian Interpretation And Misuse. by elektra80: 12:18am On Oct 20, 2013
ikeyman00: ^^^^ u see u are shooting urself in the foot ahah

ikennna did tell u ABS can only kick in when u hit those break pedal hard at emergency usually so u have a situation the four wheels doesnt lock which allows u to stir out of trouble.

i have come to understand that the fact u have ur ABS light on doesnt necessarily mean it isnt working

when u look under ur car those lines that goes from the bonnet all through to the end isnt just the fuel line

some are the lines that connect the ABS sensors at the real

a simple cut will set the ABS light off nevermind a faulty sensor

Now I can confirm that u don't know what u are saying. You are the same person that says ABS increases braking distance when it should be reducing it. And where did i mention in my post that ABS kicks in everytime u hit the brake? I said in case of emergency braking, that is when ABS comes in so read my post again before u mislead people. Also u must be one of those that have christmas lights scattered on their dashboard, So in ur own understanding, an illuminated ABS light on ur dash means ABS is working? You make me laugh. That light is a warning light and its supposed to go off the moment u start ur car, if it stays on it means something is wrong with ur ABS, maybe sensors or the ABS actuator. So let me ask u, if u have an airbag light illuminated on ur dash it also means ur airbags are intact right? lol
Re: ABS: Nigerian Interpretation And Misuse. by ikeyman00(m): 1:21am On Oct 20, 2013
^^^ things keep getting messy

anyway u made ur point but stop creating mess naw so it will be easy to grasp ur point

hmm

still me!
Re: ABS: Nigerian Interpretation And Misuse. by Nobody: 2:12am On Oct 20, 2013
Actually, ABS kicks in under hard emergency braking to prevent wheel lock ups. It kicks in milliseconds after you slam the brakes pedals. To activate it, you must fully depress and hold the brakes down, if you pump at the brakes, ABS might not come on. ABS doesn't prevent crashes, they DON'T ELONGATE (except on loose rocks, loose sand or snow surface) the stopping distance instead from indication, they SHORTEN the distance from hard braking till the vehicle stops thus preventing a crash because of its mode of operation which annuls wheel locks. However, don't drive with a mentality that ABS shorten your brake distance and get involved in a crash instead, drive carefully and give considerable distance from the infront of you so as to get ample braking room to brake without hitting the vehicle in front or letting the vehicle behind you collide into yours. Try as much as possible to prevent emergency situations where you need to brake soo quickly and very hard.

2 Likes

Re: ABS: Nigerian Interpretation And Misuse. by Mlud: 7:51am On Oct 20, 2013
A lot of explanations here on how ABS works. Some are correct but there are also some misconceptions on the effect of ABS brakes when driving.
I am with lolomike on this.
I have driven cars equipped with and without and after a scary experience 10 years ago vowed never to own another car without ABS.

Anti-lock/Anti-skid brakes (ABS) work to reduce the braking distance experienced by drivers in an emergency when immediate braking assistance is needed. It works best when you stamp on the brake pedal and keep your foot on it to bring your vehicle to a much quicker stop. The pedal pulsates and kicks back at your foot which shows that the ABS is working. This quick pulsating action fools or confuses some drivers into taking their foot off the pedal as they instinctively think something is wrong. That is the reaction that increases the braking distance as the brakes stop working when you take your foot off the brake pedal.
ABS was never designed to elongate the braking distance to allow you to steer out of trouble. This belief is wrong. ABS will only elongate the braking distance in poor or uneven road surfaces or in wet and also icy road conditions. ABS works best on dry straight roads.
ABS will still work within vehicle tolerances and road conditions but also road speed. It will never defeat nor ignore the law of physics.
That's why many badly informed drivers speed above the limits allowed by traffic conditions and certainly above their driving competence and expect ABS to save them from the cemetery like the Sequoia driver who crashed into the OP. He's lucky he got away with just begging the OP. Sadly he drove away non the wiser.

1 Like

Re: ABS: Nigerian Interpretation And Misuse. by elektra80: 8:42am On Oct 20, 2013
Mlud: A lot of explanations here on how ABS works. Some are correct but there are also some misconceptions on the effect of ABS brakes when driving.
I am with lolomike on this.
I have driven cars equipped with and without and after a scary experience 10 years ago vowed never to own another car without ABS.

Anti-lock/Anti-skid brakes (ABS) work to reduce the braking distance experienced by drivers in an emergency when immediate braking assistance is needed. It works best when you stamp on the brake pedal and keep your foot on it to bring your vehicle to a much quicker stop. The pedal pulsates and kicks back at your foot which shows that the ABS is working. This quick pulsating action fools or confuses some drivers into taking their foot off the pedal as they instinctively think something is wrong. That is the reaction that increases the braking distance as the brakes stop working when you take your foot off the brake pedal.
ABS was never designed to elongate the braking distance to allow you to steer out of trouble. This belief is wrong. ABS will only elongate the braking distance in poor or uneven road surfaces or in wet and also icy road conditions. ABS works best on dry straight roads.
ABS will still work within vehicle tolerances and road conditions but also road speed. It will never defeat nor ignore the law of physics.
That's why many badly informed drivers speed above the limits allowed by traffic conditions and certainly above their driving competence and expect ABS to save them from the cemetery like the Sequoia driver who crashed into the OP. He's lucky he got away with just begging the OP. Sadly he drove away non the wiser.

Abeg help me tell them. Same thing I been trying to explain. Why would car manufacturers spend so much resources to install something into a car that will elongate braking distance?

1 Like

Re: ABS: Nigerian Interpretation And Misuse. by ikeyman00(m): 10:02am On Oct 20, 2013
^^^well i agree with u but in court of law that will struggle to make a case as it all down to how fast u are travelling bodi! I mean driving involves allowing safety distances anyway

once again u just spoil ur presentation anyway.

ABS reduces braking distance! SO TRUE! by repetition of locking and unlocking the wheel! TRUE

STILL IKEYMAN!!
Re: ABS: Nigerian Interpretation And Misuse. by Nobody: 11:40am On Oct 20, 2013
ABS increasing stopping distances? Really?? This is news to me.

ABS actually reduces stopping distances. Locked wheels will increase stopping distances, by a massive margin. And of course with locked wheels, there's no steering control. The car will pretty much plough straight on, carried by momentum.

ABS wheel sensors will detect a wheel that's rotating slower than the rest, so on the verge of lock-up. Hydraulic pressure to that wheel is reduced, till the wheel speed matches the rest. This is done several times per second, which cadence braking by no human can match.

Even the first generation ABS on the 1985 Honda Accord EX, labelled as 4W ALB had shorter stopping distances than the basic Honda Accord LX, which had conventional braking. Yes, I'm old enough to remember the comparison made between both models at launch, and the results.

The same goes for the 1982 Audi 200 Turbo, which was one of the first production cars to have ABS fitted as standard. In first generation guise, the ABS was switchable, this carried through in the Audi 100 Quattro, Coupe Quattro, 80 and 90 Quattro and the Ur Quattro Turbo up to 1987. The only time it was beneficial to have no ABS, and achieve shorter stopping distances was when driving on loose gravel or snow. In these conditions, switching ABS off was of benefit.

On tarmac, where vehicles are most likely to be driven closer to their limits, ABS will achieve shorter stopping distances than a similar vehicle with conventional brakes.

Saying ABS achieves longer stopping distances is absurd. No different from saying ESP makes a vehicle accelerate slower than the non-ESP equivalent.

Would anyone pay the extra premium on an ABS-equipped vehicle, if the ABS increased stopping distances? I doubt it!

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Diff. Btw VW Golf 3 GTI And GL Model / 2006-2010 ML 350 OR 2008-2010 MDX / The Rate Which The Toyota Camry Gets Stolen This Days Is So Alarming

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 126
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.