Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,305 members, 7,808,037 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 04:59 AM

Memorable Stories From Your English Primary Books!!! - Literature (9) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Memorable Stories From Your English Primary Books!!! (109566 Views)

Memorable Stories From English Secondary School Textbooks!!!! / Sad Stories From A Depressed Writer / Dele Momodu’s Photo Album And Other Stories From Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) ... (14) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Memorable Stories From Your English Primary Books!!! by kid7soccer(m): 10:42pm On Oct 20, 2013
Ali and simbe, abgor goes to school, the village boy
Re: Memorable Stories From Your English Primary Books!!! by Rbaby1: 10:43pm On Oct 20, 2013
sкчscrαρεr™:
Yeah! Good old days.

Edet: now a big boy who lives in dubai.

Simbi: she is now an aristo girl.

Agbo: a popular agbero in lagos.

Mr Nwosu: he is now a grandfather e.t.c.

Yea!!! Ah remember that thou...

1 Like

Re: Memorable Stories From Your English Primary Books!!! by esshman(m): 10:44pm On Oct 20, 2013
Old roger is dead and gone to his grave
hum haa gone to his grave

they planted a mango tree over his head
hum haa over his head...

I love that poem

1 Like

Re: Memorable Stories From Your English Primary Books!!! by Captain001(m): 10:45pm On Oct 20, 2013
I remember Ovie(dont know if I got the name right) the flute player who became proud and decided to fake his own death...

1 Like

Re: Memorable Stories From Your English Primary Books!!! by mkoabiola: 10:45pm On Oct 20, 2013
Hassan and sallah day.
Re: Memorable Stories From Your English Primary Books!!! by steveec122(m): 10:50pm On Oct 20, 2013
francisbiz: I like Edet is eight years old - Primary-3.
But I think Agbo Malaika lives in the town of Lagoon which is not far from Ibadan. -Primary-4 is more memorable.
But I still remember Ugo and Eki of primary -1.
IN IGBO IT IS CERTAINLY,
"AKA BEKE GBUO ... "

DINTA EGBE FEE...
Re: Memorable Stories From Your English Primary Books!!! by SHAAWA: 10:51pm On Oct 20, 2013
[quote
author=crimo4us]

Konki was a male dull while Tinka was a female dull. That was for
primary 1 or 2. in 1985 and 86. I read that and it was very
exciting.[/quote]

Oh my God! Konki the doll, thanx for reminding me
Re: Memorable Stories From Your English Primary Books!!! by Ninilowo(m): 10:52pm On Oct 20, 2013
[quote author=checkdate][/quote
Ehyaaahhh.......
Re: Memorable Stories From Your English Primary Books!!! by SHAAWA: 10:54pm On Oct 20, 2013
esshman: Old roger is dead and gone to his grave
hum haa gone to his grave

they planted a mango tree over his head
hum haa over his head...

I love that poem

the mongo grew ripe and ready to drop
hum ha ready to drop
there came a high wind and blew them all off
hum ha blew them all off
there came an old woman to pick them all off
hum ha pick them all off
old roger got up and gave her a knock
hum ha gave her knock
which make the old woman go hippaty hop

Wallah! am loving this thread
Re: Memorable Stories From Your English Primary Books!!! by Nobody: 10:57pm On Oct 20, 2013
Rubyventures: Bintu is sitting on a stool
she is making a fire
The cat is sitting on the floor
The fish is in the basket.
The cat is looking at the fish in the basket.

We all knows what hapens next............. Bintu is chasing the cat with a stick. angry
Bintu is pry one. This thread gives me memories of my pry school in Trinity Nur nd Pry Ilorin back in the Early Nineties.
Re: Memorable Stories From Your English Primary Books!!! by Fresia01(f): 11:02pm On Oct 20, 2013
What about chike and d River.?, one week one trouble? Any body remember dat naughty boi?
Re: Memorable Stories From Your English Primary Books!!! by Mynd44: 11:04pm On Oct 20, 2013
Fresia01: What about, one week one trouble? Any body remember dat naughty boi?
Wilson Tango.....that book is crazy

1 Like

Re: Memorable Stories From Your English Primary Books!!! by elnath(m): 11:04pm On Oct 20, 2013
MOORCH MOORE: Mr. Giwa iz a shopkeeper lolz
He has a shop in Lawal's village. His shop is full of things to sell. He sells rice, beans..... New Oxford English, Primary 3. I think from Primary 5 is the story of the Bakos who travelled throughout the country. It still remains my best Primary School English textbook. New Oxford
Re: Memorable Stories From Your English Primary Books!!! by Ficeo(m): 11:04pm On Oct 20, 2013
Edet lives in Calabar! He is 8yrs old. Everyday he goes to school but on Saturday, he stays at home... My classmate, Chijioke who works at FIRS is still calld Edet as a nick name because of these page! Lyf wz so sweet and error free then.
Re: Memorable Stories From Your English Primary Books!!! by Rapmoney(m): 11:04pm On Oct 20, 2013
crimo4us: .

I can never forget some passage inside Mr and Mrs Bako, Alade and Biola. "Ijenico, the hungry one", "Karanda and Kirindin" and most of all, the last passage "Home again" which read thus: Home again, the drive from Benin to Akure the capital of Ondo state, through the forest was more quicker than they had expected. Once they reached the outskirt of Akure, Alade got very excited and from there to Ilewa, they kept pointing out familiar places to each other, that factory wasn't finished when we left and now look, look, as they drove into the school compound, they've painted the school, am so glad to be home. East, west home is best said Mr. Bako and everyone agreed with him.

You just got me going down memory lane over and over again.

1 Like

Re: Memorable Stories From Your English Primary Books!!! by shocks(m): 11:05pm On Oct 20, 2013
Cant believe the sudden rush of nostalgia. Wish I could turn back the hands of time. Who remembers "An African Night's Entertainment" with Abubakar, Mallam Shehu, Zainobe and the deviant Kyauta? Must have read that book a thousand times then!

1 Like

Re: Memorable Stories From Your English Primary Books!!! by viruzemmy2: 11:06pm On Oct 20, 2013
Ali nd 0m0 went t0 fetch water, ali saw a bird flyin, i knw d st0ry abt a bird said 0m0, 0ne da a bird asked his m0ther f0r s0me m0ney, d m0ther gave him s0me the next day th........ Cnt 4get d gud 0ld days, children 0f n0wadays n0 dey enj0y anytin
Re: Memorable Stories From Your English Primary Books!!! by Ninilowo(m): 11:06pm On Oct 20, 2013
Na Laugh: Haha. Anyone remember Erugo from "without a silver spoon"?
Haaa.....The boy hear weh...

1 Like

Re: Memorable Stories From Your English Primary Books!!! by simontosy(m): 11:08pm On Oct 20, 2013
Wow I remember Edet lives in calabar,he is 8years old,every morning he goes †̥o school but in †ђξ afternoon he stays at home
Re: Memorable Stories From Your English Primary Books!!! by Rapmoney(m): 11:10pm On Oct 20, 2013
Mynd_44:

Mynd 44, the name of the main character should be Wilson Tagbo. It is about college adventures.
Re: Memorable Stories From Your English Primary Books!!! by 735i(m): 11:12pm On Oct 20, 2013
Mynd_44:

It's Wilson Tagbo aka soapy willy aka one week one trouble grin that guy was my mentor

Cobbler, cobbler mend my shoes; yes good master that I'll do....
With my wax and my wax thread....and now your shoe is quite mended....
Choi.... Memories....

1 Like

Re: Memorable Stories From Your English Primary Books!!! by Nobody: 11:17pm On Oct 20, 2013
Rapmoney: Does anyone still remember Mr Nwosu who has four sons and two daughters? He comes home during Xmas with chickens.
mehn! I remember d pics of those fat chickens and the big pot of rice his wife was setting on d table. I dare say that chickens this days no dey fat like that again. Somewhere around that story theres a poem that says: Christmas is coming, the geese are getting fat, pls put a kobo in the old man's hat wink
Re: Memorable Stories From Your English Primary Books!!! by infolpf: 11:29pm On Oct 20, 2013
This is what I find interesting:
Not to be condescending, but practically EVERYONE commenting in this thread who actually read books, comprehended the reading and remembers what they read, writes and communicates pretty darned well. Well thought out sentences, grammatically sound construction, with good spelling. Compare with most other threads on NL with "scatta scatta" English, status updates on FB or Twitter, email messages and even memos at work written by Nigerians with multiple fancy sounding degrees!

It may seem simplistic, but perhaps the true solution to Nigeria's failing education system lies primarily in reading literacy - go back to the fundamentals! Encourage early reading, fund libraries, restock libraries, promote reading contests etc! Just saying...

4 Likes

Re: Memorable Stories From Your English Primary Books!!! by Ghozye(f): 11:33pm On Oct 20, 2013
Agbo lives in d Lagoon,I think smwhr later on,thr wz a wedding by his elder broda or his frnd's;cnt rmemba clearly.

Thn thr wz a farmer hu found a bag of gold coins buried in his farm.

Mr nwosu wiv his family n their "chickens"

Sing a song of pple,walkin down d road.

Thr wz also a stranger hu came 2 a village n stole d king's coin

Ali,Simbi,Mr n Mrs Salami! Hu can 4get them??

Edet lives in Calabar

Ade or naughty little brother,Drummer boy,Eze goes to school,Village boy.

N so many others dt I cnt rmemba clearly ryt naw
Re: Memorable Stories From Your English Primary Books!!! by shocks(m): 11:35pm On Oct 20, 2013
Blessed are you amongst Nairalanders! I couldnt have put it better.
info@lpf:
This is what I find interesting:
Not to be condescending, but practically EVERYONE commenting in this thread who actually read books, comprehended the reading and remembers what they read writes and communicates pretty darned well. Well thought out sentences, grammatically sound construction, with good spelling. Compare with most other threads on NL with "scatta scatta" English, status updates on FB or Twitter, email messages and even memos at work written by Nigerians with multiple fancy sounding degrees!

It may seem simplistic, but perhaps the true solution to Nigeria's failing education system lies primarily in reading literacy - go back to the fundamentals! Encourage early reading, fund libraries, restock libraries, promote reading contests etc! Just saying...

2 Likes

Re: Memorable Stories From Your English Primary Books!!! by drlaykay(m): 11:35pm On Oct 20, 2013
Mr sada is a farmer, he lives in sapele, he has a big farm.he grows yam,cassava and groundnuts.every saturday he goes to farm bt on sundays,he goes to church.can u see his church in the picture? grin

This is the key of the kingdom
In dat kingdom there is a city
In that city there is a town
In that town there is a street
In that street there is a lane
On that lane there is a yard
In that yard,there is a house
In that house there is a room
In that room there is a bed
On that bed there is a basket
In that basket,there are some flowers
Flowers in d basket,basket on the bed
Bed in the room,room in the house
House in the yard,yard on the lane
Lane in the street,street in the town
Town in the city,city in the kingdom
Of that kingdom,this is the key grin cheesy

4 Likes

Re: Memorable Stories From Your English Primary Books!!! by Ghozye(f): 11:37pm On Oct 20, 2013
Captain001: I remember Ovie(dont know if I got the name right) the flute player who became proud and decided to fake his own death...

Lolz! Yea,I rmemba dt.He rubbed shea butter all over his body n sat close 2 d fire,thn an empty casket wz buried,d king hired anoda flute player n d "dead guy" showed up,,,mehn...evrybdy pick race!

2 Likes

Re: Memorable Stories From Your English Primary Books!!! by Ghozye(f): 11:42pm On Oct 20, 2013
dr.laykay:
This is the key of the kingdom
In dat kingdom there is a city
In that city there is a town
In that town there is a street
In that street there is a lane
On that lane there is a yard
In that yard,there is a house
In that house there is a room
In that room there is a bed
On that bed there is a basket
In that basket,there are some flowers
Flowers in d basket,basket on the bed
Bed in the room,room in the house
House in the yard,yard on the lane
Lane in the street,street in the town
Town in the city,city in the kingdom
Of that kingdom,this is the key
grin cheesy

of course,I rememba ds! Smtyms I still find myself humming,"in dt yard,thr z a haus" n bla bla bla
Re: Memorable Stories From Your English Primary Books!!! by dollyparton(m): 11:55pm On Oct 20, 2013
So nobody remembers Gandoki and his three sons who fought in the land of the Jinns, Mike the engineer, Agbo's brother who came back from London; he would build the bridges, construct the roads and send their children to school. Edet and his uncle Udoh whom he followed to Ikot-Epene, passing through the cross rivers. There was one particular Omo, I've forgotten the class, Mr. Sada the farmer, Kunle, Emeka and Wakama the 3 friends in primary 5, Nnena and Nneka in Primary 6, Edet in primary 3, Agbo in Primary 4, Ali and Simbi in Primary 1 and 2. Very interesting stories, the children had an almost perfect childhood, they were totally different from the badoo omo Mushin of nowadays.

1 Like

Re: Memorable Stories From Your English Primary Books!!! by Hablad47(m): 11:57pm On Oct 20, 2013
Infact! I have forgotten I have an account here.

Is there anyone out there who read KOKU BABONI? ??

KOKU means I shall not die

BABONI means God will answer my prayer
Re: Memorable Stories From Your English Primary Books!!! by Sammiejo: 11:58pm On Oct 20, 2013
Juju Island. The Rainmaker and other stories. This is our chance. A cure for hiccups(brighter grammar). Bayo goes to school.
Why the lizard nods its head. Chike and the river.Passport of Mallam Ilia. The drummer boy. The bottled leopard. Stories my mother told me.

Alade and Biola-very educative about Nigeria. They should reintroduce it.

And I agree, we need to encourage reading.
Re: Memorable Stories From Your English Primary Books!!! by Ghozye(f): 12:04am On Oct 21, 2013
dollyparton: Mike the engineer , Agbo's brother who came back from London.

yea,dts d 1 hu got married

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) ... (14) (Reply)

Secrets Of the gods / Securing The Bag (The Lagos Hustle) / A Male Child Is More Beneficial Than A Female Child In Nigeria(see Why)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.