Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,469 members, 7,808,687 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 03:23 PM

Joomla FREE Training On Nairaland Live!!! - Webmasters (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Webmasters / Joomla FREE Training On Nairaland Live!!! (242428 Views)

Free Training On How To Create NGO Websites And Business Paypal Account / Opencart And Wordpress FREE Training On Nairaland Live!!! - / Free Training On How To Create Mobile Application For Blackberry, Iphone, Ipad (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (69) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Joomla FREE Training On Nairaland Live!!! by Djtm(m): 12:32am On Oct 24, 2013
Lecturer, continue the class abeg and skip all those installation stuffs already sir. If people have problems then we solve it, instead of wasting time waiting for screenshots.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Joomla FREE Training On Nairaland Live!!! by ZinoFego: 12:37am On Oct 24, 2013
kason: ok

Cool. But I actually mean your completed Joomla installation.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Joomla FREE Training On Nairaland Live!!! by ZinoFego: 12:39am On Oct 24, 2013
Djtm: Lecturer, continue the class abeg and skip all those installation stuffs already sir. If people have problems then we solve it, instead of wasting time waiting for screenshots.

Just want to be sure, everybody is following....I will upload the next step in a moment.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Joomla FREE Training On Nairaland Live!!! by ZinoFego: 2:06am On Oct 24, 2013
Here is the screenshot of our blog website

So lets continue.....

On this homepage.

Joomla Training is the title of the blog.

You have some articles on the main page.

There are some Menu items (About, Home) to the right of the page and also archived articles etc.

We will discuss how to edit this page as we move to the administrator end of the website.

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Joomla FREE Training On Nairaland Live!!! by ZinoFego: 2:11am On Oct 24, 2013
Administrator End

This is the backend, the engine room where a Joomla website is configured.

To access this backend: enter the URL below into your browser:

localhost:8080/JoomlaTraining/administrator

Others may be:

localhost/JoomlaTraining/administrator

However yours is, after entering the above, press Enter. You will be prompted to enter:

1. User Name
2. Password

Remember our Admin User Name and Password during our earlier configuration? Well, here they are:

1. User Name: admin
2. Password: user123.

Now, click LOGIN.

The environment as shown in the image below is the Adminstrator end of a Joomla. Whatever you see in a Joomla website (front end) is done from here.

Take a moment to appreciate this beautiful layout.

Class continues soon...

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Joomla FREE Training On Nairaland Live!!! by lambvard: 2:57pm On Oct 24, 2013
i love this and the act of generousity!!! Thanks in galore!!

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Joomla FREE Training On Nairaland Live!!! by ZinoFego: 3:02pm On Oct 24, 2013
lambvard: i love this and the act of generousity!!! Thanks in galore!!

You're welcome. I earnestly pray that this will be helpful to you and many others.

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Joomla FREE Training On Nairaland Live!!! by lambvard: 3:27pm On Oct 24, 2013
iyes it is,i got the link few minutes ago and av been following it. I do use dreamweaver,wamp before, but av been looking for the joomla training because i av no fund pay those bills

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Joomla FREE Training On Nairaland Live!!! by sunday478(m): 3:33pm On Oct 24, 2013
ZinoFego:

Just want to be sure, everybody is following....I will upload the next step in a moment.
Hi sir thanks sir just that i have a little challenge.

Am using WAMP, u earlier said that we should type localhost:8080/phpmyadmin, when i did that nothing showed up, so i removed the 8080 living it at localhost/phpmyadmin, when I pressed enter, it took me to a login page, i did not know the user name and password to use so I was a lil bit confuse, after some trials it logged in without a password. But the main challenge here now is that it is showing a notification msg that "The phpmyadmin configuration storage is not completely configured, some extended features have been deactivated. To find out clikc here." that was the message. So i don't know how to go about d configuration.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Joomla FREE Training On Nairaland Live!!! by lambvard: 3:34pm On Oct 24, 2013
i am presently a comp. Sci student, hnd in one of the bestt polytechnics in nigeria and i intend doing things of much programming during this strike, be of help!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Joomla FREE Training On Nairaland Live!!! by ZinoFego: 3:55pm On Oct 24, 2013
Ok. Let me take your questions one after the other.

1. When I said type: localhost:8080, I was referring to a situatiom whereby Apache returns an error that another application is using port:80.

Originally, to access your localhost is just http://localhost. So in your case, typing localhost/phpmyadmin is also correct instead of localhost:8080/phpmyadmin for those with Apache error on another program using port:8080.

2. The phpmyadmin error you are having maybe as a result of incomplete installation from an incomplete WAMP installation package. Tips: 1. Try uninstall and try to reinstall it. 2. Get a fresh copy from WAMP and install.

Alternatively, get a copy of AMPPS and install, it is more robust.

sunday478: Hi sir thanks sir just that i have a little challenge.

Am using WAMP, u earlier said that we should type localhost:8080/phpmyadmin, when i did that nothing showed up, so i removed the 8080 living it at localhost/phpmyadmin, when I pressed enter, it took me to a login page, i did not know the user name and password to use so I was a lil bit confuse, after some trials it logged in without a password. But the main challenge here now is that it is showing a notification msg that "The phpmyadmin configuration storage is not completely configured, some extended features have been deactivated. To find out clikc here." that was the message. So i don't know how to go about d configuration.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Joomla FREE Training On Nairaland Live!!! by ZinoFego: 4:12pm On Oct 24, 2013
If you want to go into programming, I'll advice you to start with PHP and MySQL.

You can get more details here: https://www.nairaland.com/1147325/want-learn-programming-which-language

lambvard: i am presently a comp. Sci student, hnd in one of the bestt polytechnics in nigeria and i intend doing things of much programming during this strike, be of help!

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Joomla FREE Training On Nairaland Live!!! by kason(m): 4:52pm On Oct 24, 2013
Sorry i was offline. where do i go from here?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Joomla FREE Training On Nairaland Live!!! by ZinoFego: 5:09pm On Oct 24, 2013
For those of us using using a localhost on our system, we have been able to install Joomla successfully.

So I want to show those who intend using an online live site to do this training how to set up their own Joomla site.

Installing Joomla on a live site.

These are the steps to be taken.
**Caution: Please ensure that your host has a PHP 5.3 and Above*** You can see the PHP version in the cpanel of your website.
**[b]NOTE: [/b]Please you need to have a functional domain name and a hosting plan to move online. You can get hosting services at http://SpringWebHost.com. That's where I do my hosting services.

Lets assume your website name is www.JoomlaExtended.com, and the Username of the cpanel is joomex.

1. Create a database called joomxyz. Note as soon as joomxyz is created, it carries the username of the cpanel as a prefix ie springwe_joomxyz.
2. Create a User called trak. This user becomes joomex_trak.
3. Add User joomex_trak to database joomex_joomxyz. Remember to grant all priviledges to the User.
4. Upload all the content of your extracted Joomla 3.1 package into the root folder (public_html) of your website. You may use any other folder in your website if you wish.
5. Type your website name into your browser eg www.JoomlaExtended.com and the Joomla will start immediately.

Refer to a few post above to complete your installation.

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Joomla FREE Training On Nairaland Live!!! by omoelu1(m): 8:14am On Oct 25, 2013
ZinoFego: Ok. Let me take your questions one after the other.

1. When I said type: localhost:8080, I was referring to a situatiom where Apache returns an error that another application is using port:80.

Originally, to access your localhost is just http://localhost. So in your case, typing localhost/myphpadmin is also correct instead of localhost:8080/myphpadmin for those with Apache error on another program using port:8080.

2. The myphpadmin error you are having

excuse me please, is it MYphpadmin or phpMYadmin?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Joomla FREE Training On Nairaland Live!!! by ZinoFego: 9:31am On Oct 25, 2013
It was a typographical error on my side, it has been corrected. In my earlier posts, it has always been phpmyadmin.

Thanks for the observation.

omoelu1:
excuse me please, is it MYphpadmin or phpMYadmin?

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Joomla FREE Training On Nairaland Live!!! by ZinoFego: 9:53am On Oct 25, 2013
kason: Sorry i was offline. where do i go from here?

Click on phpMyAdmin to create your database and its User.

Read my earlier posts to see what to do next after creating the database and its User.
Re: Joomla FREE Training On Nairaland Live!!! by Rizstar: 2:52pm On Oct 25, 2013
please continue with the tutorial. we are desperately waiting for you.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Joomla FREE Training On Nairaland Live!!! by ZinoFego: 3:40pm On Oct 25, 2013
Rizstar: please continue with the tutorial. we are desperately waiting for you.

Will be right back in a moment.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Joomla FREE Training On Nairaland Live!!! by gu7S05: 4:16pm On Oct 25, 2013
You have to understand one thing here,joomla is the fastest growing CMS which you can easily build either offline or directly on ya server,I no the joy of writing Semantic mark up languages(using HTML5,Javascript,PHP),but my frnd the truth is that it's an advantage to those who can write their own code and as well knws how to use CMS,I can drupal,Wordpress,Joomla,Javascript...but when I got a job with a software company as a webmaster my first project was build a web portal for a board of internal revenue,the project was to be done by html5 and Javascript(pure html huh),I have to use what I knw to succeed,so I get a good code editor and I begin. Building your CMS will definetly not be so easy and fast,but it is attainable a good webmaster can build is frontend and backend with dreamweaver within two weeks.
Thats thru Joomla can be done even by kids as far they understand how to create an article,working with modules,uploading images...is not a big deal,but go try that with drupal,u will understand drupal is for developers and not for play.PLsss go on with class is a nice thing you're doing.

Djtm:
He said you can get a site running in 3hrs. Can you write your own stuff in three hours? No. He said it can be done by anybody who can read, developer or not. Can anybody write a little "cms"? No! That's the big deal!!!

2 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Joomla FREE Training On Nairaland Live!!! by gu7S05: 4:29pm On Oct 25, 2013
It's a nice lecture here,but dnt you think it would have been better if you start with Joomla! 2.5,since 3.0 is a more higher version,and most hosting server can not host Joomla 3.0 becos of it high PHP requirement,I still tell you 2.5 is still invoke it has got a loads of extensions,3.5 extensions are just rolling in bit by bit,think about it.

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Joomla FREE Training On Nairaland Live!!! by ZinoFego: 5:18pm On Oct 25, 2013
With Joomla proposition, new Joomla versions will released every 6 months, So the Joomla 3.0 will soon be phased out. Versions 1.7, 2.5 and 3.0 have almost the same configuration though 3.0 is the most advanced. There is no more support for 1.5 and 2.5 will soon follow. Most extensions are now being developed for 3.0 only. Some old extensions for 2.5 also work for 3.0.

As for Host servers that do not support PHP 5.3, I will advice you to choose those that do support PHP 5.3 and above. This is because for security reasons, applications are now being developed using higher versions of PHP.

gu7S05: It's a nice lecture here,but dnt you think it would have been better if you start with Joomla! 2.5,since 3.0 is a more higher version,and most hosting server can not host Joomla 3.0 becos of it high PHP requirement,I still tell you 2.5 is still invoke it has got a loads of extensions,3.5 extensions are just rolling in bit by bit,think about it.

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Joomla FREE Training On Nairaland Live!!! by idsamoo(m): 6:25pm On Oct 25, 2013
Oga lecturer sir! Students are waiting for continuation .....

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Joomla FREE Training On Nairaland Live!!! by ZinoFego: 6:40pm On Oct 25, 2013
3. A tour of the backend (Administrator Panel)

This is where a Joomla site is put together and all the changes are made by the minute when you run a site that requires regular updates.

Since we will be learning most items here let me briefly introduce you to the basic configuration of the administrator's end.

Global Configuration

Click Global Configuration on the left side of the administrator 's landing page. It is under SYSTEM.

The Global Configuration setting is grouped into tabbed menu items. They are Site, System, Server, Permissions, Text Filters.

The selected item here by default is Site:

Site Setting: You may not need to do much here save you need to change the Site Name or Put the site offline, you may leave other settings as they are. Metadata Settings Here you can input some meta tag parameters to optimize your site for search engines. You may also write your Content Rights here.

You can leave any other configuration here (Site) just as it is.

The next tabbed menu item is SYSTEM:
You can leave the configuration for the System just the way it is.

The next tabbed menu item is SERVER:
Here, you can view your database settings. The whole site will stop working if you make any changes here that you are not certain of.
You can as well leave the default settings here just the way they are.

The next tabbed menu item is PERMISSIONS:
You can leave the default settings here just the way they are.

The next tabbed menu item is TEXT FILTERS:
You can leave the default settings here just the way they are.

If you made any changes in the Global Configuration, the click SAVE & CLOSE else click CANCEL to exit this page.

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Joomla FREE Training On Nairaland Live!!! by elvis10ten(m): 8:58pm On Oct 25, 2013
ZinoFego:

Please expatiate the question.
i want to create a dynamic site. I will query the database and then use joomla to display the content. I don't think there is any more explanation.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Joomla FREE Training On Nairaland Live!!! by ZinoFego: 9:40pm On Oct 25, 2013
elvis10ten: i want to create a dynamic site. I will query the database and then use joomla to display the content. I don't think there is any more explanation.

Certainly YES, you can query the database and display your results. Depending on what you intend doing, there are many extensions available for you to work with or you may create yours.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Joomla FREE Training On Nairaland Live!!! by Nobody: 10:29pm On Oct 25, 2013
All I get is installing close to one hour now. I have done everything,

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Joomla FREE Training On Nairaland Live!!! by ZinoFego: 11:06pm On Oct 25, 2013
pureguide: All I get is installing close to one hour now. I have done everything,

So lets go on....

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Joomla FREE Training On Nairaland Live!!! by antontech(m): 2:13am On Oct 26, 2013
well done teacher.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Joomla FREE Training On Nairaland Live!!! by elvis10ten(m): 10:30am On Oct 26, 2013
ZinoFego:

Certainly YES, you can query the database and display your results. Depending on what you intend doing, there are many extensions available for you to work with or you may create yours.
i got that under control now. But now am into two problems: 1)i wanna paginate in a joomla article, how can i ?. 2)i am looking for a very simple free joomla template with less images just like blogger or nairaland ?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Joomla FREE Training On Nairaland Live!!! by ZinoFego: 11:57am On Oct 26, 2013
elvis10ten: i got that under control now. But now am into two problems: 1)i wanna paginate in a joomla article, how can i ?. 2)i am looking for a very simple free joomla template with less images just like blogger or nairaland ?

Paginate as used in Q1. isn't a clear term in Joomla article. Do that question as an instance of a problem.

Q2. Send a PM to me so I can send a template to you.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Joomla FREE Training On Nairaland Live!!! by ZinoFego: 1:20pm On Oct 26, 2013
5. Creating Content

Overview of how content is created, managed, and displayed.

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (69) (Reply)

Learn Web Design LIVE On Nairaland!!! / Domain Name Business; The Easiest & The Most Profitable Online Venture / How To Download Youtube Videos Using The ‘ss’ Trick

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.