Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,319 members, 7,808,071 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 06:42 AM

Why Did God Reject Cain's Sacrifice? - Religion (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Why Did God Reject Cain's Sacrifice? (14335 Views)

Why Did God Send Satan To Earth??? / Why Did God Have To ''Kill His Son''? / Did God Create Hell? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Did God Reject Cain's Sacrifice? by Danabu(m): 8:59pm On Oct 20, 2013
ayoku777:

Gen 4v4 ...And the Lord had respect UNTO ABEL and to his offering.

Gen 4v5 ...But UNTO CAIN and to his offering he had no respect.

This two verses answer your question. God accepts a man before he accepts his offering. Cain offered his fruit but not himself. When you do that, God will respect NEITHER. God is not remotely as impressed with what we give as much as he is with our life. And that was made obvious from God's rebuke in v7 ...If THOU doest well, shall thou not be accepted? So what was wrong with cain's offering? CAIN.

So to answer your second question, you make your offering more acceptable to God by first offering yourself. Your life is the true worth of every other thing you offer. The best offerings are the ones that come with the life of the offerer.
I am yet to see where it is written in the bible that Abel offered himself . pls which version of the Bible do u use?
Re: Why Did God Reject Cain's Sacrifice? by kinharold(m): 9:51pm On Oct 20, 2013
This two verses answer your question. God accepts a man before he accepts his offering. Cain offered his fruit but not himself. When you do that, God will respect NEITHER. God is not remotely as impressed with what we give as much as he is with our life. And that was made obvious from God's rebuke in v7 ...If THOU doest well, shall thou not be accepted? So what was wrong with cain's offering? CAIN.

So to answer your second question, you make your offering more acceptable to God by first offering yourself. Your life is the true worth of every other thing you offer. The best offerings are the ones that come with the life of the offerer.
I am yet to see where it is written in the bible that Abel offered himself . pls which version of the Bible do u use?

No clear reason was given by God/the Bible but considering the whole passage, I think we can say that it was an ATTITUDE problem. In so many other passages of scripture we know that God is more concerned about the state of heart/altitude of the giver than the offering itself.

Rom 9:11-16 can explain more
Re: Why Did God Reject Cain's Sacrifice? by Forwetinnah: 10:01pm On Oct 20, 2013
bionicdude: i was not there. grin but if i see cain i will ask him 4 u

Plese do and Greet him too grin
Re: Why Did God Reject Cain's Sacrifice? by akinvest(m): 10:29pm On Oct 20, 2013
Mamacita007: I need a biblical answer to this question becos cain's sacrifice was the works of his hands & God rejected it. sometimes we ask God for things we want soo bad & he wont bless us with it. is it that cain's sacrifice is not good enough? ive heard of people being raised from the dead through prayer meanwhile others will pray for their loved ones & they'll die right in front of our eyes. how can we make our sacrifices more acceptable unto God?
I wan 2 assured u dat d reasons why God did nt accept Cain's offring is because d offring did nt contain blood, any sacrifice which does nt contains blood in Bible such sacrifice does nt acceptabu b/4 God.
If u examined Cain very well u "ll see dat Cain himself decided 2 offer d sacrifice 2 God without instruction from anyone . God can only honor d sacrifice of animals e.g cow, lamb goat etc . nt crop or tubers of yam. Search ur bible very well.
Re: Why Did God Reject Cain's Sacrifice? by olarwarlay(m): 11:41pm On Oct 20, 2013
Yvete: Interesting viewpoints! Seems like some posters believe your best seed gets God's acceptance. If you give a million dollar sacrifice to the Church while you're busy scamming people all over the earth (unclean hands), I don't think God will honor it.

When you feel like God snubbed you even with nights of prayer and fasting, remember to count your blessings. I believe the best of our offering comes from our heart which also affects how we give money to the needy, kingdom service and render praises to God. God wants a perfect and loyal heart.

Before you sleep at night, write down three (3) things God did or is doing for you. Try to count something different each time and you will be more than grateful.

Well said....
Re: Why Did God Reject Cain's Sacrifice? by Nobody: 1:21am On Oct 21, 2013
Yvete: Interesting viewpoints! Seems like some posters believe your best seed gets God's acceptance. If you give a million dollar sacrifice to the Church while you're busy scamming people all over the earth (unclean hands), I don't think God will honor it.

When you feel like God snubbed you even with nights of prayer and fasting, remember to count your blessings. I believe the best of our offering comes from our heart which also affects how we give money to the needy, kingdom service and render praises to God. God wants a perfect and loyal heart.

Before you sleep at night, write down three (3) things God did or is doing for you. Try to count something different each time and you will be more than grateful.
Epic Narcism. What makes you more deserving of anything than refugees, hungry, sick, dying. innocent children especially those in war zones. How do you know its God doing it for you and not your own hardwork?
Re: Why Did God Reject Cain's Sacrifice? by Nobody: 1:37am On Oct 21, 2013
I think the question should be ; what does he need sacrifice for? just to smell blood? yak. I still wonder the origin of this story
#no bigotry
Re: Why Did God Reject Cain's Sacrifice? by Danabu(m): 2:52am On Oct 21, 2013
ayoku777:

Re: Why Did God Reject Cain's Sacrifice? by Danabu(m): 3:07am On Oct 21, 2013
ayoku777:

This two verses answer your question. God accepts a man before he accepts his offering. Cain offered his fruit but not himself. When you do that, God will respect NEITHER. God is not remotely as impressed with what we give as much as he is with our life. And that was made obvious from God's rebuke in v7 ...If THOU doest well, shall thou not be accepted? So what
as wrong with cain's offering? CAIN.

where was it. written. that Abel offered himself first and which version of the Bible do you read?
Re: Why Did God Reject Cain's Sacrifice? by Yoti(m): 8:33am On Oct 21, 2013
To my own understanding.

the offering of Cain was not bad but God considers the heart and the motive of the giver.

2 cor 8:5
apostle paul wrote to corinthians about how macedonian people gave themselves first before rendering the gift to church.

so, is the matter of the heart. nowadays in our churches during thanksgiving, we often bring alot of money and gift just because we want the church and people to honor and respect us.
which is very bad, God loves a cheerful giver.
Re: Why Did God Reject Cain's Sacrifice? by Lekozy(m): 8:40am On Oct 21, 2013
The reason is abel sacrifice has bloodshed shikena ..nt abel sacrifice is better back in d old testament when u offer sacrifice it must be bloodshed of animal
Re: Why Did God Reject Cain's Sacrifice? by hupernikao: 9:32am On Oct 21, 2013
Mamacita007: I need a biblical answer to this question becos cain's sacrifice was the works of his hands & God rejected it. sometimes we ask God for things we want soo bad & he wont bless us with it. is it that cain's sacrifice is not good enough? ive heard of people being raised from the dead through prayer meanwhile others will pray for their loved ones & they'll die right in front of our eyes. how can we make our sacrifices more acceptable unto God?

This takes a diligent bible study to understand but to giv a short answer

Heb 11:4 By faith Abel offered unto God a more excellent sacrifice than Cain, by which he obtained witness that he was righteous, God testifying of his gifts

vs 6; But without faith it is impossible to please him: for he that cometh to God must believe that he is, and that he is a rewarder of them that diligently seek him.

vs 39; And these all, having obtained a good report through faith

Abel appeared by faith b4 God as d only one who can justify and make righteous. It was counted for him as righteousness.
Re: Why Did God Reject Cain's Sacrifice? by RockMaxi: 10:28am On Oct 21, 2013
cold:
Not just animal sacrifices,children were also offered to Yahweh as burnt offering. Seriously the mind boggles

Judges 11:29-40

29 Then the Spirit of the Lord came upon Jephthah, and he passed over Gilead, and Manasseh, and passed over Mizpeh of Gilead, and from Mizpeh of Gilead he passed over unto the children of Ammon.30 And Jephthah vowed a vow unto the Lord, and said, If thou shalt without fail deliver the children of Ammon into mine hands,31 Then it shall be, that whatsoever cometh forth of the doors of my house to meet me, when I return in peace from the children of Ammon, shall surely be the Lord's, and I will offer it up for a burnt offering.32 So Jephthah passed over unto the children of Ammon to fight against them; and the Lord delivered them into his hands.33 And he smote them from Aroer, even till thou come to Minnith, even twenty cities, and unto the plain of the vineyards, with a very great slaughter. Thus the children of Ammon were subdued before the children of Israel.34 And Jephthah came to Mizpeh unto his house, and, behold, his daughter came out to meet him with timbrels and with dances: and she was his only child; beside her he had neither son nor daughter.35 And it came to pass, when he saw her, that he rent his clothes, and said, Alas, my daughter! thou hast brought me very low, and thou art one of them that trouble me: for I have opened my mouth unto theLord, and I cannot go back.36 And she said unto him, My father, if thou hast opened thy mouth unto the Lord, do to me according to that which hath proceeded out of thy mouth; forasmuch as the Lord hath taken vengeance for thee of thine enemies, even of the children of Ammon.37 And she said unto her father, Let this thing be done for me: let me alone two months, that I may go up and down upon the mountains, and bewail my virginity, I and my fellows.38 And he said, Go. And he sent her away for two months: and she went with her companions, and bewailed her virginity upon the mountains.39 And it came to pass at the end of two months, that she returned unto her father, who did with her according to his vow which he had vowed: and she knew no man. And it was a custom in Israel,40 That the daughters of Israel went yearly to lament the daughter of Jephthah the Gileadite four days in a year.

How Christians read this & flip through to the next page without feeling any tinge of guilt is really baffling

Could you be so daft just to select passages in the bible to buttress your warped psyche without making a recourse to the purpose and intent of the verses.
Jephthah was the one that made a vow and God did not request it from him, check Ecc 5:4-6 and compare it with Gen 22:9-13, what do you come up with?
Re: Why Did God Reject Cain's Sacrifice? by Romanticboy1(m): 12:53pm On Oct 21, 2013

Its said come 2 d presence of the lord with a cheerful heart and give your offering 2 d lord with all jjoy

Cain brought his offering like he was forced 2 do it!he gave it 2 God grudgingly unlike abel,and such offerings doesn't appease God
Re: Why Did God Reject Cain's Sacrifice? by cold(m): 1:39pm On Oct 21, 2013
RockMaxi:

Could you be so daft just to select passages in the bible to buttress your warped psyche without making a recourse to the purpose and intent of the verses.
Jephthah was the one that made a vow and God did not request it from him, check Ecc 5:4-6 and compare it with Gen 22:9-13, what do you come up with?
Get bitter all you want.But the truth is your god is one sick,twisted creature & this is not a statement I make lightly.The proof is right there in your bible but i'll forgive you because like 95% of Christians,you don't read your bible.
1 Kings 13:1-2
King James Version (KJV)
13 And, behold, there came a man of God out of Judah by the word of the Lord unto Bethel: and Jeroboam stood by the altar to burn incense.

2 And he cried against the altar in the word of the Lord, and said, O altar, altar, thus saith the Lord; Behold, a child shall be born unto the house of David, Josiah by name; and upon thee shall he offer the priests of the high places that burn incense upon thee, and men's bones shall be burnt upon thee.

2 Kings 23:20-25
King James Version (KJV)
20 And he slew all the priests of the high places that were there upon the altars, and burned men's bones upon them, and returned to Jerusalem.

Leviticus 27:28
New International Version (NIV)
28 “‘But nothing that a person owns and devotes[a] to the Lord—whether a human being or an animal or family land—may be sold or redeemed; everything so devoted is most holy to the Lord.
29 None devoted, which shall be devoted of men, shall be redeemed; but shall surely be put to death.

Fuel for fire
As for you, son of man, prophesy: Thus says the Lord GOD against the Ammonites and their insults: A sword, a sword is drawn for slaughter, burnished to consume and to flash lightning, because you planned with false visions and lying divinations to lay it on the necks of depraved and wicked men whose day has come when their crimes are at an end. Return it to its sheath! In the place where you were created, in the land of your origin, I will judge you. I will pour out my indignation upon you, breathing my fiery wrath upon you, I will hand you over to ravaging men, artisans of destruction. You shall be fuel for the fire, your blood shall flow throughout the land. You shall not be remembered, for I, the LORD, have spoken. (Ezekiel 21:33-37 NAB

God Commands Burning Humans

[The Lord speaking] "The one who has stolen what was set apart for destruction[b] will himself be burned with fire, along with everything he has[/b], for he has broken the covenant of the LORD and has done a horrible thing in Israel." (Joshua 7:15 NLT)

Burn Nonbelievers

"Suppose you hear in one of the towns the LORD your God is giving you that some worthless rabble among you have led their fellow citizens astray by encouraging them to worship foreign gods. In such cases, you must examine the facts carefully. If you find it is true and can prove that such a detestable act has occurred among you, you must attack that town and completely destroy all its inhabitants, as well as all the livestock. Then you must pile all the plunder in the middle of the street and burn it. Put the entire town to the torch as a burnt offering to the LORD your God. That town must remain a ruin forever; it may never be rebuilt. Keep none of the plunder that has been set apart for destruction. Then the LORD will turn from his fierce anger and be merciful to you. He will have compassion on you and make you a great nation, just as he solemnly promised your ancestors. "The LORD your God will be merciful only if you obey him and keep all the commands I am giving you today, doing what is pleasing to him." (Deuteronomy 13:13-19 NLT)

You need further proof?Or you're just going to carry on with the bile,bitterness and insult?
Re: Why Did God Reject Cain's Sacrifice? by iyes(m): 3:58pm On Oct 21, 2013
While Abel chose the best of his flock, Cain brought just something.
Re: Why Did God Reject Cain's Sacrifice? by whatofyou: 12:42am On Oct 22, 2013
Oga Cold, you are really doing fine. The same eagerness you are utilising in bringing out these seeming 'bad' parts of the OLD TESTAMENT OR PRE-JESUS ERA I pray you utilise in bringing souls to God when you finally give your life to Christ. Now, most of the verses you mentioned will be scary to those who do not take time to digest what they read, but I will try to tell you what I think of those verses.
A society that wants to stand out needs laws to govern it. In trying to make old Isreal stand out, God placed or set so many laws to guide them. Laws are a set of DOs and DON'Ts, and the DON'Ts have their consequences. For example, when a law states that a killer will be slowly tortured till he dies, the power of the law is not in trying to kill killers but in trying to scare potential killers with the prospect of a painful death. That is, the killer, after seeing what awaits him, will have a rethink of his plan. That is what God did with Old Isreal. He set up those laws to make them serve Him with their best. This should try and help you with your verses in Leviticus, Joshua and Deuteronomy.
About the verses you quoted from the book of Kings, I do not see anything extraordinary about them. King Jeroboam erected evil alters that led the people astray. God was saying through the prophet that the priest of those alters and people who go there to sacrifice will one day have the same fate as those things they sacrificed on the alters. In fact, they will be burnt up on the same alter they have erected! It is like one psalm that states: '...let them fall into the pit they set for me.'
Ezekiel, like Isaiah, Jeremiah, Revelation et c, is a book of prophecies, so it uses many figurative expressions, yet the message can be discerned.
Are you not happy that He has opened the 'goodies' He reserved for Isreal of Old to everyone, including you Mr. Cold? Only if that Isreal had served Him with the urgency they used in serving idols. Even those laws were not the stumbling block for them- most of them were outright stubborn just as few were righteous. The best part of it today is that the old Laws are gone; why won't you give your life to Christ Jesus?
Actually, I am learning as you are, too.
Re: Why Did God Reject Cain's Sacrifice? by Nobody: 1:25am On Oct 23, 2013
cold:
Get bitter all you want.But the truth is your god is one sick,twisted creature & this is not a statement I make lightly.The proof is right there in your bible but i'll forgive you because like 95% of Christians,you don't read your bible.
King James Version (KJV)
13 And, behold, there came a man of God out of Judah by the word of the Lord unto Bethel: and Jeroboam stood by the altar to burn incense.

2 And he cried against the altar in the word of the Lord, and said, O altar, altar, thus saith the Lord; Behold, a child shall be born unto the house of David, Josiah by name; and upon thee shall he offer the priests of the high places that burn incense upon thee, and men's bones shall be burnt upon thee.

King James Version (KJV)
20 And he slew all the priests of the high places that were there upon the altars, and burned men's bones upon them, and returned to Jerusalem.

28 “‘But nothing that a person owns and devotes[a] to the Lord—whether a human being or an animal or family land—may be sold or redeemed; everything so devoted is most holy to the Lord.
29 None devoted, which shall be devoted of men, shall be redeemed; but shall surely be put to death.

Fuel for fire
As for you, son of man, prophesy: Thus says the Lord GOD against the Ammonites and their insults: A sword, a sword is drawn for slaughter, burnished to consume and to flash lightning, because you planned with false visions and lying divinations to lay it on the necks of depraved and wicked men whose day has come when their crimes are at an end. Return it to its sheath! In the place where you were created, in the land of your origin, I will judge you. I will pour out my indignation upon you, breathing my fiery wrath upon you, I will hand you over to ravaging men, artisans of destruction. You shall be fuel for the fire, your blood shall flow throughout the land. You shall not be remembered, for I, the LORD, have spoken. (Ezekiel 21:33-37 NAB

[The Lord speaking] "The one who has stolen what was set apart for destruction[b] will himself be burned with fire, along with everything he has[/b], for he has broken the covenant of the LORD and has done a horrible thing in Israel." (Joshua 7:15 NLT)

Burn Nonbelievers

"Suppose you hear in one of the towns the LORD your God is giving you that some worthless rabble among you have led their fellow citizens astray by encouraging them to worship foreign gods. In such cases, you must examine the facts carefully. If you find it is true and can prove that such a detestable act has occurred among you, you must attack that town and completely destroy all its inhabitants, as well as all the livestock. Then you must pile all the plunder in the middle of the street and burn it. Put the entire town to the torch as a burnt offering to the LORD your God. That town must remain a ruin forever; it may never be rebuilt. Keep none of the plunder that has been set apart for destruction. Then the LORD will turn from his fierce anger and be merciful to you. He will have compassion on you and make you a great nation, just as he solemnly promised your ancestors. "The LORD your God will be merciful only if you obey him and keep all the commands I am giving you today, doing what is pleasing to him." (Deuteronomy 13:13-19 NLT)

You need further proof?Or you're just going to carry on with the bile,bitterness and insult?
I just can't believe my eyes that someone could read this and call it simple guiding laws
*smh*
Re: Why Did God Reject Cain's Sacrifice? by RockMaxi: 10:31am On Oct 24, 2013
cold:
King James Version (KJV)

King James Version (KJV)

Fuel for fire

Burn Nonbelievers

I still pray that your eyes will be open beyond selectively chosen what will benefit your warped understanding of the Bible, you can't mock God and I still repeat it! What do you understand about sacrifice? The utmost sacrifice have been done by Jesus on the cross and the whole essence of your quote have been nullified by Romans 9:1-32, I believe you will have patience to read and understand.
Re: Why Did God Reject Cain's Sacrifice? by cold(m): 5:44pm On Oct 25, 2013
RockMaxi:

I still pray that your eyes will be open beyond selectively chosen what will benefit your warped understanding of the Bible, you can't mock God and I still repeat it! What do you understand about sacrifice? The utmost sacrifice have been done by Jesus on the cross and the whole essence of your quote have been nullified by Romans 9:1-32, I believe you will have patience to read and understand.
Bro you scared? Stop referring me to verses. If you want a proper discourse,put the verses up here like i have done & i'll be glad to trash it out. Quit throwing clichés like 'God can't be mocked' around cuz it don't faze me one bit

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Dr. Paul Enenche Visits Benue Mass Burial Site, Donates Relief Materials To Idps / Sign Fireman Explains How God Is A Game!!! / The Trichotomy Of Man: Spirit Soul And Body

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 122
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.