Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,577 members, 7,809,096 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 10:59 PM

Aero Contractors To Emerge National Carrier - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Aero Contractors To Emerge National Carrier (14975 Views)

Cote D’ivoire Displaces Nigeria To Emerge Africa’s Top Investor Destination / President-Elect To Emerge Today-Jega / National Carrier To Begin Operations With 50 Aircraft (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Aero Contractors To Emerge National Carrier by grafikii: 8:13am On Oct 21, 2013
As the Ministry of Aviation proceeds with plans to set up a national carrier that would operate international, regional and domestic services, it has emerged that Aero Contractors has been designated the nation’s flag carrier.

It was gathered that the decision to designate Aero Contractors as the national carrier was supposed to have been announced during the October 1 national broadcast to mark Nigeria’s Independence by President Goodluck Jonathan, but it was deferred for another date.

As a national carrier, Aero Contractors is expected to enjoy preferential rights or privileges accorded by the federal government for international operations.

It would hold some lucrative routes in monopoly, negotiate commercial agreements, pools and bilateral agreements with foreign airlines, articulate manpower training for the sector and serve as diplomatic tool for Nigeria.

Designating Aero Contractors as the national carrier would also allow the airline to codeshare with other international airlines, as this would improve Nigeria’s ability to take advantage of Bilateral Air Service Agreement (BASA) it has in place with other countries.

Aero Contractors, it was further gathered, was selected for the role because of the 60 per cent stake the Asset Management Corporation of Nigeria (AMCON), a federal government institution, already holds in the airline.

Under the arrangement, the federal government shall retain 60 per cent through AMCON, while Legacy Holdings, a company owned by the Ibru family, will hold 40 per cent in the national carrier.

Also, AMCON would offer some of the assets of the defunct Air Nigeria to Aero Contractors.
In this regard, an industry source said AMCON was undertaking a valuation of Air Nigeria assets, which it took over from UBA Capital when the latter assumed the loans of the airline.
He said: “AMCON is currently undertaking a valuation of Air Nigeria assets, which would be concluded in the next 30 days, following which they will be offered to Aero Contractors to expand its operations.”

The source further revealed that AMCON would only hold on to its 60 per cent shares in Aero Contractor for a limited period, after which they will be sold to the public at some future date.

However, THISDAY gathered that there is also a plan to offload 10 per cent of the designated national carrier to a facilitator suspected to be a top government official in the aviation sector. The facilitator is said to have been responsible for facilitating the transaction.

The facilitator, it was learnt, has set up a Special Purpose Vehicle (SPV) that would acquire 10 per cent of Aero Contractors three years from now.

The source said under the deal, the facilitator would be required to ensure that the airport is modernised and a hub is created to enhance air traffic for the West African region as the conditions precedent for the acquisition of the 10 per cent in three years time.

Although another source said the facilitator is a European low cost airline, it is believed that the low cost carrier is being used as a front for the government official.

Presently, Nigerian airlines do not airlift up to 10 per cent of the estimated six million passengers who travel out of the country annually.

Also, with the failure of domestic airlines to play a significant role, international carriers export huge resources from the country by way of earnings made from ticketing and remuneration for expatriate personnel.

Besides, since the demise of Nigeria Airways, the country has lost competences in different segments of the air transport industry including manpower development.

http://www.thisdaylive.com/articles/aero-contractors-to-emerge-national-carrier/162232/
Re: Aero Contractors To Emerge National Carrier by grafikii: 8:14am On Oct 21, 2013
Re: Aero Contractors To Emerge National Carrier by ogb5(m): 8:33am On Oct 21, 2013
grafikii: www.thisdaylive.com/articles/aero-contractors-to-emerge-national-carrier/162232/

This is absolutely disgusting,

Why is it disgusting to you.

Aero contractors is one of the oldest local Airlines in Nigeria and obviously with very good safety records.

They were affected by the financial turmoil following the stealing of Oceanic bank from their group and hence amcon had to take part of the airline.

Even with their financial troubles, they were still able to maintain there good safety record.

So once again, why is it disgusting to you.

18 Likes

Re: Aero Contractors To Emerge National Carrier by taharqa: 8:36am On Oct 21, 2013
grafikii: www.thisdaylive.com/articles/aero-contractors-to-emerge-national-carrier/162232/

What exactly is disgusting you??
Re: Aero Contractors To Emerge National Carrier by Stallion77(f): 8:37am On Oct 21, 2013

I want to believe this comment was not for this thread
Re: Aero Contractors To Emerge National Carrier by yunglykmine(m): 9:30am On Oct 21, 2013
Ok.. Good

Don't smoke weed while you type,ok. I apologize on his behalf.. Pls y'all forgive him.

3 Likes

Re: Aero Contractors To Emerge National Carrier by wrench: 9:31am On Oct 21, 2013
Me just dey look shocked

1 Like

Re: Aero Contractors To Emerge National Carrier by omodapson(m): 9:32am On Oct 21, 2013

Only disgusting to the minds of those who can not see beyond their noses.
Re: Aero Contractors To Emerge National Carrier by propzncribz: 9:35am On Oct 21, 2013
I think Nigeria holds the record for number of times we have changed national carriers
Re: Aero Contractors To Emerge National Carrier by extremelygolden: 9:38am On Oct 21, 2013
AERO Contractors with all their old aircrafts, our national carrier?

Unto thy hand O Lord we commit this nation, Nigeria!

3 Likes

Re: Aero Contractors To Emerge National Carrier by Nobody: 9:40am On Oct 21, 2013
Aero Contractors is trying sha.. I hope the National carrier will be more cheaper, cause how can i be paying N17,000 to N21,000 from owerri to Lagos which is not up to 2hrs. sad sad sad sad... No wonder to fly via air is a dream that so many people wish they could achieve, ehe no wonder you see people posing and snapping pics inside the plane, and it seems to be a feat well achieved to them. They should make the national carrier ito be cheap. Say N10,000 (my opinion though)

4 Likes

Re: Aero Contractors To Emerge National Carrier by crackhaus: 9:42am On Oct 21, 2013
Am I the only one who would prefer Arik as our National carrier..I'm just saying!

I don't have full confidence in anything the Ibru family have their hands in.

5 Likes

Re: Aero Contractors To Emerge National Carrier by Nobody: 9:43am On Oct 21, 2013
Yay!
Aero is the only airline for average income earners like us. cool
Has dependable safety track records too.

Though I suggest they increase their root to Eastern states.
Acquire newer air-crafts, and
Erm, they should also give us bons and kwunu onbaord embarassed

3 Likes

Re: Aero Contractors To Emerge National Carrier by NotoriousBig(m): 9:44am On Oct 21, 2013
Thank God they didn't pick DANA air as national carrier o!!!

2 Likes

Re: Aero Contractors To Emerge National Carrier by Built2last: 9:45am On Oct 21, 2013
Aero does budget flights and so i am not surprised.
Re: Aero Contractors To Emerge National Carrier by Omen100(m): 9:47am On Oct 21, 2013
the weather is just too cold for me to start commenting on national issues & by the way, were is "WIFE" angry angry angry angry angry angry
Re: Aero Contractors To Emerge National Carrier by Nobody: 9:50am On Oct 21, 2013
crackhaus: Am I the only one who would prefer Arik as our National carrier..I'm just saying!

I don't have full confidence in anything the Ibru family have their hands in.

I agree with you, Arik would have been a better choice, their flights seems better maintained than aero, but also Aero Contractors is trying sha.
Re: Aero Contractors To Emerge National Carrier by taharqa: 9:52am On Oct 21, 2013
By way of clarification, I don't think that Aero Contractors 'wud be the National Carrier' per say. I think the Assets of both Aero Contractors and Air Nigeria wud form d basis of a new National Carrier, which is a smart move by d authorities cos AMCON presently control controlling share of these Airlines cos of their indebtedness to banks (shares that wud later on be sold to d public ).. The Emerging Airline should be a new Cop. This is my understanding of d Article

7 Likes

Re: Aero Contractors To Emerge National Carrier by SirMethod1(m): 9:55am On Oct 21, 2013
gboss4sure: Aero Contractors is trying sha.. I hope the National carrier will be more cheaper, cause how can i be paying N17,000 to N21,000 from owerri to Lagos which is not up to 2hrs. sad sad sad sad... No wonder to fly via air is a dream that so many people wish they could achieve, ehe no wonder you see people posing and snapping pics inside the plane, and it seems to be a feat well achieved to them. They should make the national carrier ito be cheap. Say N10,000 (my opinion though)
one plane can a buy a thousand buses and there would be balance. huh?
Re: Aero Contractors To Emerge National Carrier by DonHummer(m): 9:55am On Oct 21, 2013

abeg make una no vex for my oga @ the top^^^
Re: Aero Contractors To Emerge National Carrier by yeko68: 9:56am On Oct 21, 2013
Its clear that the top government official that's taking 10% equity as facilitator is Stella Oduah. This is corruption and graft since she's well paid as Minister and also enjoys the perks of office. Public servant indeed. This is what's disgusting.

1 Like

Re: Aero Contractors To Emerge National Carrier by nickxtra(m): 9:57am On Oct 21, 2013
It is a nice development, but the name should be changed to Aero Nigeria, at least to reflect the Nigerianness in it.

3 Likes

Re: Aero Contractors To Emerge National Carrier by Guapo(m): 10:00am On Oct 21, 2013
taharqa: By way of clarification, I don't think that Aero Contractors 'wud be the National Carrier' per say. I think the Assets of both Aero Contractors and Air Nigeria wud form d basis of a new National Carrier, which is a smart move by d authorities cos AMCON presently control controlling share of these Airlines cos of their indebtedness to banks (shares that wud later on be sold to d public ).. The Emerging Airline should be a new Cop. This is my understanding of d Article

My thoughts exactly, the assets of Air Nigeria and Aero would come together under a new name. I don't expect the national carrier to adorn the orange coloured livery of Aero.

1 Like

Re: Aero Contractors To Emerge National Carrier by Nobody: 10:04am On Oct 21, 2013
just when we thought it was getting better.
Re: Aero Contractors To Emerge National Carrier by Nobody: 10:05am On Oct 21, 2013
Government magic at work again.... They wll be Nigeria carrier with their pangolo aircrafts? My experience with them last year is what I want to forget in a hurry, my heart was in my mouth all through.. And I was even made to pay for my snacks and drink on board....
Re: Aero Contractors To Emerge National Carrier by Nobody: 10:08am On Oct 21, 2013
yunglykmine: Ok.. Good Don't smoke weed while you type,ok. I apologize on his behave.. Pls y'all forgive him.
gbagaun alert.

2 Likes

Re: Aero Contractors To Emerge National Carrier by 4reigningqueen: 10:08am On Oct 21, 2013
Ok ooo
Re: Aero Contractors To Emerge National Carrier by crackhaus: 10:08am On Oct 21, 2013
gboss4sure:

I agree with you, Arik would have been a better choice, their flights seems better maintained than aero, but also Aero Contractors is trying sha.
My sentiments exactly. Arik does seem better maintained, better structured and most importantly, better serviced by its personnel.
But apart from all that, there is the IBRU family name associated with Aero, something doesn't just feel right with this decision.
Re: Aero Contractors To Emerge National Carrier by MagicBishop: 10:14am On Oct 21, 2013

Aero still remains the most experienced and safest airline to fly.

You can blame that goat Sanusi for trying to break the only legit business dynasty in Nigeria headed by the Ibru family
Re: Aero Contractors To Emerge National Carrier by OYINBOGOJU(m): 10:14am On Oct 21, 2013
The same aero contractor airline that is owned by cecilia Ibru......

The corrupt still has enough power to negotiate with FG.
Re: Aero Contractors To Emerge National Carrier by Nobody: 10:16am On Oct 21, 2013

What is disgusting? undecided
Re: Aero Contractors To Emerge National Carrier by MagicBishop: 10:24am On Oct 21, 2013
OYINBOGOJU: The same aero contractor airline that is owned by cecilia Ibru......

The corrupt still has enough power to negotiate with FG.

Aero is not owned by Cecilia Ibru but by the Ibru family who never made a dime from government.

Cecilia Ibru messed up in managing Oceanic and Sanusi used the heavy hammer on Aero because they were extended loans by her.

This led to Aero nearly going under due to liquidity problems

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Patrick Sawyer Is A Liberian Ebola Medical Terrorist, i have VIDEO evidence !!! / VP Osinbajo Visits Kaduna State / ECOWAS Broke, Begs Nigeria For Cash

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.