Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,319 members, 7,780,792 topics. Date: Thursday, 28 March 2024 at 10:20 PM

Aero Contractors To Emerge National Carrier - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Aero Contractors To Emerge National Carrier (14962 Views)

Cote D’ivoire Displaces Nigeria To Emerge Africa’s Top Investor Destination / President-Elect To Emerge Today-Jega / National Carrier To Begin Operations With 50 Aircraft (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Aero Contractors To Emerge National Carrier by talktimi(m): 10:48pm On Oct 21, 2013
Will they still force us to buy that their dry bread and hot coke on board ? Abeg they should try for us economy class fans jare
Re: Aero Contractors To Emerge National Carrier by OYINBOGOJU(m): 12:52am On Oct 22, 2013
Magic Bishop:

Aero is not owned by Cecilia Ibru but by the Ibru family who never made a dime from government.

Cecilia Ibru messed up in managing Oceanic and Sanusi used the heavy hammer on Aero because they were extended loans by her.

This led to Aero nearly going under due to liquidity problems

So now its time for Stella Oduah to help Ibru family revive their fortune or lets say its compensation from the FG for the trouble she went through.
Re: Aero Contractors To Emerge National Carrier by adconline(m): 1:16am On Oct 22, 2013
CFCfan:
I think AMCON would eventually divest it's ownership of the new airline, since the FG doesn't want to own any stake in the airline.

Also, the airline could lease some aircraft if it wants to begin intercontinental flights immediately; or the management could wait for at least 18 months before the new planes arrive.
Any deadline on when AMCON will divest? Short period in Naija could be years. What does the govt gain for pushing for a national carrier in the midst of all our national problems?
Re: Aero Contractors To Emerge National Carrier by Nobody: 1:28am On Oct 22, 2013
adconline:
Any deadline on when AMCON will divest? Short period in Naija could be years. What does the govt gain for pushing for a national carrier in the midst of all our national problems?
No deadline yet. I think the FG is pushing for a national carrier because they feel that Arik hasn't been up to the job at all. As the article states, less than 10% of the international passengers traveling to and from Nigeria are transported by Nigerian carriers.

However, the FG, didn't realise that lack of professionalism IN SOME INSTANCES has been a contributory factor to that stat. The foreign airlines have better customer service. Also, to crash the price of air fares within Nigeria and on international flights, some aeronautical charges have to be drastically reduced. For instance, the ridiculous $200/hour parking fee which FAAN charges has to be slashed by, at least, 50%. In the Nairobi airport (Jomo Kenyatta airport), the airplane parking fee is only $60/hr. The Air Passenger Duty also needs to be slashed before any meaningful reduction of international air fares will be made.

1 Like

Re: Aero Contractors To Emerge National Carrier by talktimi(m): 1:37am On Oct 22, 2013
Read an article some months back that the fg through the aviation ministry ordered for 50 (?) planes, guess this is what they wanted to use it for
Re: Aero Contractors To Emerge National Carrier by Nobody: 1:42am On Oct 22, 2013
talktimi: Read an article some months back that the fg through the aviation ministry ordered for 50 (?) planes, guess this is what they wanted to use it for
There is no way they can order 50 planes in one fell swoop
Re: Aero Contractors To Emerge National Carrier by tunde1200(m): 1:59am On Oct 22, 2013
adconline:
crackhaus: Am I the only one who would prefer Arik as our National carrier..I'm just saying!

I don't have full confidence in anything the Ibru family have their hands in.

Thank you jare my broda
Re: Aero Contractors To Emerge National Carrier by talktimi(m): 2:01am On Oct 22, 2013
CFCfan:
There is no way they can order 50 planes in one fell swoop
will have to search out the article to confirm, thats why i put the question mark after the figure but i know planes were ordered for and i guess it is for our national carrier. Truth is we need more airlines to service domestic routes in this country, such airlines should not have anything less than 5 - 10 aircrafts as a minimum which will reduce time wasting at airports, exhorbitant fares, ill maintained aircrafts, pilot stress/fatigue which most times leads to fatal errors by the pilots(which is the major cause of air mishaps in Nigeria) Nigeria's aviation industry is still in the medieval ages far as im concerned so i'll appreciate any improvement that comes our way including reforms.
Re: Aero Contractors To Emerge National Carrier by Nobody: 2:03am On Oct 22, 2013
tunde1200:

Thank you jare my broda

I believe Arik Air will still remain a 'flag carrier', while Aero Nigeria will be the national carrier. In Britain, British Airways is the national carrier (albeit a privatized one), while Virgin Atlantic is only a flag carrier. The national carrier, in Nigeria, will be designated on the most lucrative routes, while the flag carrier(s) will be designated on 'secondary' routes or less lucrative routes.
Re: Aero Contractors To Emerge National Carrier by Nobody: 2:07am On Oct 22, 2013
talktimi: will have to search out the article to confirm, thats why i put the question mark after the figure but i know planes were ordered for and i guess it is for our national carrier. Truth is we need more airlines to service domestic routes in this country, such airlines should not have anything less than 5 - 10 aircrafts as a minimum which will reduce time wasting at airports, exhorbitant fares, ill maintained aircrafts, pilot stress/fatigue which most times leads to fatal errors by the pilots(which is the major cause of air mishaps in Nigeria) Nigeria's aviation industry is still in the medieval ages far as im concerned so i'll appreciate any improvement that comes our way including reforms.

Recently (some months ago), the Aviation ministry claimed that the TRACON project had already been completed. TRACON stands for Total Radar Coverage Of Nigeria. This means that every inch of Nigerian airspace is now covered by radar; this wasn't the case in the past.
However, I agree that more needs to be done in ensuring that the airworthiness of planes in the fleet of the domestic airlines isn't compromised. We would certainly need whistle-blowers to expose any corruption being perpetrated by the NCAA inspection engineers.
Re: Aero Contractors To Emerge National Carrier by talktimi(m): 2:33am On Oct 22, 2013
CFCfan:

Recently (some months ago), the Aviation ministry claimed that the TRACON project had already been completed. TRACON stands for Total Radar Coverage Of Nigeria. This means that every inch of Nigerian airspace is now covered by radio transmission; this wasn't the case in the past.
However, I agree that more needs to be done in ensuring that the airworthiness if planes in the fleet of the domestic airlines isn't compromised. We would certainly need whistle-blowers to expose any corruption being perpetrated by the NCAA inspection engineers.
youre right, a pilot friend of mine once told me landing at aminu kano airport is one of his worst nightmares and same goes for most domestic pilots and all because of landing facilities or the lack of. But i agree with you on the acquisition of safety facilities by our aviation authorities like the TRACON which you mentioned, the doppler system which measures wind speed and is also used by weather agencies and the AIB lab which has saved cost in forex of sending black boxes abroad when they can be analyzed in Nigeria eg the associated airlines case which had its preliminary report released in about a week. Much still needs to be done especially by the NCAA as you rightly said since the lives of air travellers are in their competence. I suggest the agency recruits and sends their engineers abroad for proper training and certification by the aircraft manufacturers and the mandatory installment of flight simulators in our aviation schools which our pilots can use to re certify themselves & saving expenses instead of having to go abroad all the time. We still thank God for the progress made so far.

2 Likes

Re: Aero Contractors To Emerge National Carrier by OYINBOGOJU(m): 2:43am On Oct 22, 2013
Its allllllllll Propagandaaaaaaaaaaaaa
Re: Aero Contractors To Emerge National Carrier by awodman: 8:39am On Oct 22, 2013
Ministry denies plan to make Aero national carrier

Embattled Aviation Minister, Mrs. Stella Oduah has denied
reports of ongoing plans to confer national carrier status on Aero, Nigeria’s second largest domestic airline.

The minister, who spoke through her Special Assistant on
Media, Joe Obi, however said the Federal Government is
going ahead with the proposed ‘Nigeria one’ national
carrier.

Oduah had in the past repeatedly explained that the new
national carrier will be managed by private investors, with
the Federal Government creating an enabling environment for the carrier to operate.

A section of the media had Monday reported plans to turn
Aero to the national carrier by virtue of the government’s
60 per cent shareholding through the Asset Management
Company of Nigeria (AMCON). AMCON acquired Aero’s
$200 million (about N32 billion) debt translating to 60 per
cent equity off the books of Nigerian banks, leading the
previous sole owners- the Ibru family with the remaining
40 per cent.

When contacted on Monday over the reported national
carrier move, Managing Director of AMCON, Mustafa Chike-Obi, while not denying or confirming the development to our correspondent, said it is not the responsibility of AMCON to decide for Nigeria which airline will be a national carrier.

According to him, “AMCON does not decide who will be the national carrier”

Aero, Nigeria’s oldest surviving airline, founded in 1959
and registered in Nigeria a year later, has 16 aircrafts in its fleet and flies 14 destinations across Nigeria and the West African region.
dailyindependentnig.com/2013/10/ministry-denies-plan-to-make-aero-national-carrier/?utm_content=bufferb5df4&utm_source=buffer&utm_medium=twitter&utm_campaign=Buffer
Re: Aero Contractors To Emerge National Carrier by Nobody: 8:47am On Oct 22, 2013
^^
Wow, talk about journalistic standards.

Anyway, this still opens the door for a merger between Air Nigeria, Aero and Arik cool
Re: Aero Contractors To Emerge National Carrier by awodman: 9:03am On Oct 22, 2013
CFCfan: ^^
Wow, talk about journalistic standards.

Anyway, this still opens the door for a merger between Air Nigeria, Aero and Arik cool
One of the reasons I don't trust any of the so called Investigative reports by our Journalists
Re: Aero Contractors To Emerge National Carrier by Nobody: 9:10am On Oct 22, 2013
awodman:
One of the reasons I don't trust any of the so called Investigative reports by our Journalists
Sometimes I wonder what the editorial staff do in some if these media houses.
Re: Aero Contractors To Emerge National Carrier by taharqa: 9:11am On Oct 22, 2013
awodman: Ministry denies plan to make Aero national carrier

dailyindependentnig.com/2013/10/ministry-denies-plan-to-make-aero-national-carrier/?utm_content=bufferb5df4&utm_source=buffer&utm_medium=twitter&utm_campaign=Buffer
Just as I suspected.... I pray there comes a day when, at least d majority of Nigerians, wud be using their heads (rather than their hearts) to read/process info that is given to them, in stead of been swayed by the cheap antics of d Information peddlers ('our' Newspapers come to mind here)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Patrick Sawyer Is A Liberian Ebola Medical Terrorist, i have VIDEO evidence !!! / INEC Stops Use Of Card Readers In Cross River / More Pictures And Videos From Atiku/Okowa Rally In Zamfara

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.