Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,290 members, 7,780,675 topics. Date: Thursday, 28 March 2024 at 07:17 PM

I Don't Feel Like Going To Church: What's Wrong? - Religion (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / I Don't Feel Like Going To Church: What's Wrong? (18178 Views)

See What Most Nigeria Do On Saturday Night Before Going To Church On Sunday / If You Were Asked To Preach In Your Church, What Will Be Your Message? / Do You Like Going To Church Early? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: I Don't Feel Like Going To Church: What's Wrong? by janami(f): 3:33pm On Jul 09, 2008
@kingdong
hi
Re: I Don't Feel Like Going To Church: What's Wrong? by iz2much: 3:36pm On Jul 09, 2008
Try and woprk on urself. Be born again 4 real.

Am also an addict i dnt like going to church.
Re: I Don't Feel Like Going To Church: What's Wrong? by zignor(m): 3:49pm On Jul 09, 2008
What could be the matter?

it is cos you are too arrogant tongue tongue tongue
Re: I Don't Feel Like Going To Church: What's Wrong? by naomijt(f): 3:51pm On Jul 09, 2008
@Gamine,

We all need to return to our first love. A lot of people think they are saved, whereas they are far from being saved. Pls, if you don't feel like going to church, stay at home and study your bible. I'm sure God has something in store for you. Study and discover God for yourself. It will do you good. If you need a friend, you can reach me @ jtfavour@yahoo.ca
Re: I Don't Feel Like Going To Church: What's Wrong? by eminemkayc: 4:02pm On Jul 09, 2008
I THINK U NEED SOME FORM OF DELIVERANCE FROM THE POWER OF DARKNESS OR INDOLENCE. THATS ALL I CAN ADVICE sad sad cool
Re: I Don't Feel Like Going To Church: What's Wrong? by eminemkayc: 4:06pm On Jul 09, 2008
@kingdong
hi
THE TOPIC IS "I Don't Feel Like Going To Church: What's Wrong? ", NOT AN AVENUE TO SAY "hi" TO AN AGE LONG FOLK grin grin grin
Re: I Don't Feel Like Going To Church: What's Wrong? by la1(m): 4:07pm On Jul 09, 2008
am i alone, or has anyone else noticed the growing amount of synicism attached to religion and religious rites(such as going to church for instance)? especially with the younger generation, is this the proverbial sign of the times? or are we just in the era of intuitve knowledge where we no longer just do as we are instructed,but actively seek to understand the world we live in by applying that intiuites wisdom?
Generations before us where shown/taught/forced/cajouled/bribed/beaten/enslaved/tricked, into doing 'what was right' but now its diffrent, its like most of man kind have become self aware,intellectually and even spiritually,we can diffrentiate between an experience that will lead to self developement (as it is with attending a spirituallly uplifting service in church)or just making up the numbers in a group ritual,(such as GOING to church)where people who are sharper than you are out to take advantage and enrich themselves(like some holy men(regardless of relious orientation)will do).

@poster
if it feels wrong,it probably is,do not be afraid to own up to how you realy feel just becuase society does not respond favourably to non comformist,but understand that you play an integral part in molding societal conciousness by seeking better ways to do old things,even if its something as basic as fellowshipping with the brethren, if the current system does not work for you [b]CHANGE IT,[/b]and if the previous post are any indication at all, you will find that you are not alone in this
Re: I Don't Feel Like Going To Church: What's Wrong? by esteffi: 4:12pm On Jul 09, 2008
trust me, if u had a deep and sincere relationship and interest with God, you wouldnt have dis problem, except in extreme situations tho,
SOLUTION
make up ur mind to love God sincerely and develop an interest in him
besides we'v been instructed not to despise the gathering of the saints.
Re: I Don't Feel Like Going To Church: What's Wrong? by KunleOshob(m): 4:16pm On Jul 09, 2008
dree1:

@ Kunle,Gemine & All,

I am also really struggling with this issue. I do look forward to going to the weekly house fellowship (home care groups) because its interactive and for so many other reasons. But lately(since January) I have really been struggling with going to church and I only go for 2 reasons 1. To pay my tithe and 2. for the sake of my 3.5 old son. Hence, if i have my way I would pay my Tithe to the church office over the phone and stick with the weekly home group meetings.

But I still don't think that'll be right, as I'll love to be more actively involve in the church. Please help

Well even though i have nothing against church going as i am regular church goer my self , i just see it as a form of worshipping God, there are several other ways, the important thing is to serve God with all your mind, soul, body and spirit. The other  benefit of going to church is that you can learn the word of God there, but i have since discovered that i learn the word of God better on my own ( i love reading the bible) and i have better understanding than what i learn in church. However as i said earlier, church going is not compulsory ( some pastors would tell you it is with out any scriptural backing) gathering of believers is encouraged ( not commanded). As a christian it would help your spiritual growth to fellowship with other christians and exchange views/ encourage each other, as far as i am concerned going for fellowships is more beneficial than sunday church service at least there you can discuss and ask questions when you don't understand an issue.

Check out my post on christianity and the church https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-148850.0.html
Re: I Don't Feel Like Going To Church: What's Wrong? by janami(f): 4:20pm On Jul 09, 2008
eminemkayc:

THE TOPIC IS "I Don't Feel Like Going To Church: What's Wrong? ", NOT AN AVENUE TO SAY "hi" TO AN AGE LONG FOLK grin grin grin
see ur mouth grin he greeted me naw abi na mistake undecided?. i don put my own opinion. chk the first page.
Re: I Don't Feel Like Going To Church: What's Wrong? by anonimi: 4:22pm On Jul 09, 2008
naomijt:

@Gamine,

Please, if you don't feel like going to church, stay at home and study your bible. I'm sure God has something in store for you. Study and discover God for yourself. It will do you good.

I believe the bold portion is the koko of the matter and reflects Christ's response to the Samarritan woman concerning where to worship God, in John 4:

20 Our fathers worshipped in this mountain; and ye say, that in Jerusalem is the place where men ought to worship.
21 Jesus saith unto her, Woman, believe me, the hour cometh, when ye shall neither in this mountain, nor yet at Jerusalem, worship the Father.
22 Ye worship ye know not what: we know what we worship: for salvation is of the Jews.
23 But the hour cometh, and now is, when the true worshippers shall worship the Father in spirit and in truth: for the Father seeketh such to worship him.
24 God is a Spirit: and they that worship him must worship him in spirit and in truth.
Re: I Don't Feel Like Going To Church: What's Wrong? by naomijt(f): 4:24pm On Jul 09, 2008
I agree with you KunleOshob. Most people feel that they have sinned when they miss church service. We have turned church going into a ritual, just like every other activity we do in church.

We are too lazy to study the word, but ever eager to chop what the pastor says hook line and sinker even when it is unscriptural.
Re: I Don't Feel Like Going To Church: What's Wrong? by anonimi: 4:27pm On Jul 09, 2008
BTW, you can search verses, words, phrases etc or simply read the Bible online in various versions here:

http://www.christnotes.org/bible.php?q=1+John+4%3A1&ver=kjv
Re: I Don't Feel Like Going To Church: What's Wrong? by Gamine(f): 4:27pm On Jul 09, 2008
Lol, people are just funny.

i should go for deliverance abi?
Re: I Don't Feel Like Going To Church: What's Wrong? by naomijt(f): 4:34pm On Jul 09, 2008
We should never allow anyone to condemn us over an isssue we have not studied properly, which is what a lot of pastors do.

Do not feel guilty when u don't go to church. But remember that we are not to be ruled by our feelings as believers. After you sort yourself out, there will still be times that you won't feel like going to church. Then, u need to encourage youself in the Lord cos you need to hear the word and also be strengthened by the fellowship of the saints.

Please, find a church that holds to the orthodoxy of God's word if your church isn't.

Stay blessed.

anonimi, you quoted a good scripture.
Re: I Don't Feel Like Going To Church: What's Wrong? by idupaul: 4:36pm On Jul 09, 2008
Must u go to church, ?
Re: I Don't Feel Like Going To Church: What's Wrong? by naomijt(f): 4:38pm On Jul 09, 2008
Don't mind those that think you should go for deliverance. It shows the depth of their knowledge.
Re: I Don't Feel Like Going To Church: What's Wrong? by Gamine(f): 4:40pm On Jul 09, 2008
Thanks Nao
Re: I Don't Feel Like Going To Church: What's Wrong? by Chikobi: 4:44pm On Jul 09, 2008
Gamine and co-believers in her ideology, please do not be deceived! "the worst kind of deception is self deceit". You can neither remain faithful as a christian nor grow spiritually without any form of fellowship with other believers in the word. The bible made it clear that:
No 1: without FAITH it is impossible to please God.
No 2: FAITH comes by hearing and hearing by the word of God.
Now tell me, where else will you hear this word and grow in FAITH to please the Almighty if not in churches and other christian gatherings. My advise: Look for a bible believing church where God and only God is worshipped in spirit and in truth, associate yourself with them by attending their sunday services + or - other week day fellowships depending on your weekly schedule, See it as a compulsory routine for your growth in faith so that you can please our God whom has done so much for us. Think about it!
Re: I Don't Feel Like Going To Church: What's Wrong? by Gamine(f): 4:47pm On Jul 09, 2008
@Chikobi

Thats all i have ever thought about.
Re: I Don't Feel Like Going To Church: What's Wrong? by jodeci(m): 4:53pm On Jul 09, 2008
You have multiple demons,each fighting to own part of your soul.
Re: I Don't Feel Like Going To Church: What's Wrong? by Gamine(f): 5:01pm On Jul 09, 2008
Multiple Demons shocked
Re: I Don't Feel Like Going To Church: What's Wrong? by RichyBlacK(m): 5:02pm On Jul 09, 2008
There is nothing wrong, except you have "other" motives! cool
Re: I Don't Feel Like Going To Church: What's Wrong? by Sholeyb: 5:12pm On Jul 09, 2008
Why is it that we Christians are so quick to condemn each other? Let’s stop pretending and face the real issues going on in our churches. I suppose it’s not new, even in the time of Jesus there were Pharisees & Sadducees.

We forget about Peter and the other disciples who left ‘church’ after the death of Jesus, but guess what, the good Lord still used them. He did not condemn them, even Thomas the doubter.

I know A LOT of Christians that are fed up of their church, or question a lot of things about their church or leadership, but are afraid to talk because of other Christians.

Let us not forget that the bible says that judgement will start from the house of God. Because someone has stopped going to church may not mean they do not love the Lord or need deliverance.

I know 2 people who have recently stopped going to church and are on fire for God, they attend crusades for now and study the word at home, because they have encountered a lot of things that cannot be mentioned in their churches and they are so disappointed that they have decided for now, they would stay at home rather than imbibe the spirit of Absalom.

I am not saying this is the case in all scenarios, but let us ask her why she does not feel like attending church before we arrive at our conclusions. It may be deeper than we think/assume.

I love God and I believe that he is unhappy with some of the things that are happening in his house (he did warn us though of the end times). Because of my respect for God, I will not mention some incidents that I am personally aware of that goes on in churches. I do not want to be held accountable for people that may refuse to accept Christ because of such stories.

The long and short of it is that the bible encourages us ‘to admonish in love’ and not judge. I am sometimes grieved by our holier than thou attitude as Christians. I have taken time to write this, because when I went through my experience if not for people who did not condemn me, but admonished me in love; it may be a different story today.

We must be careful what we say, someone said you can only hear the word of God in churches and christian gatherings. Suppose you are disabled and cannot attend church because of your disability, or suffer from a severe ailment which segregates you from members of the public, or you have accepted Christ but your religion and nation does not permit you to openly declare so, lest you die and therefore cannot attend church but read your bible at home and listen to internet messages. Does this mean they will not get to heaven? You can hear the word of God by listening to podcasts, internet preaching tapes etc, but this is no substitute for attending church if you are able to. We must never make sweeping statements.

Please, I am not saying that we should abandon church, I totally believe in attending church because there is joy in doing so. But , if your attitude is not right when in church, you need to go back and repair your relationship with God or settle whatever is wrong. Church is not a ritual, it is an attuitude of worship because you LOVE God.
Re: I Don't Feel Like Going To Church: What's Wrong? by rubi(f): 5:14pm On Jul 09, 2008
@ Topic David said "I was glad when they say unto me come let us go into the house of the lord"
Re: I Don't Feel Like Going To Church: What's Wrong? by atilla(m): 5:21pm On Jul 09, 2008
Hi Gamine

For the first time i agree with one of your posts/topics wink

I feel that way and its been like that for a while. The funny thing is that I ALWAYS have a very guilty feeling in my tummy on sundays like u get when u do something bad and no one sees.
Try and read the bible for a while on Sundays or get involved in something in the church so you wouldnt just be sitting there listening praying sittting standing then going lol or alternatively attend the house worships/cell.

Reading the blble gets you to understand what the pastor is talking about and kind of refreshes you to start going to church again. I used to do that for a while when i get very tired of church, attending the cells gives you a more personal visit.

Take care.
Re: I Don't Feel Like Going To Church: What's Wrong? by Gamine(f): 5:26pm On Jul 09, 2008
Nobody is talking about abandoning church here.

I will always want to be in a fellowship

but Sunday Sunday tonic dosnt seem to be working for me.

@Atilla d Hun, i[i] didnt know you were still alive[/i]
there is a first time for everything! cheesy
Re: I Don't Feel Like Going To Church: What's Wrong? by xheggs(m): 5:28pm On Jul 09, 2008
For about 6 weeks now, i havent gone to church.
Ok i rememba d last time i went, i actually left like 30 mins after the service started cuz i was feeling dizzy despite the fact that i was 1 hr late.
i have this strong feeling that its not right. but i just dont kno what to do.,.,.,
Re: I Don't Feel Like Going To Church: What's Wrong? by rubi(f): 5:31pm On Jul 09, 2008
cool cool cool cool cool cool
Re: I Don't Feel Like Going To Church: What's Wrong? by rubi(f): 5:35pm On Jul 09, 2008
atilla:

Hi Gamine

For the first time i agree with one of your posts/topics wink

The funny thing is that I ALWAYS have a very guilty feeling in my tummy on sundays like u get when u do something bad and no one sees.

nice sincereity
Re: I Don't Feel Like Going To Church: What's Wrong? by mellow(m): 5:38pm On Jul 09, 2008
The devil has taken over
Re: I Don't Feel Like Going To Church: What's Wrong? by xheggs(m): 5:44pm On Jul 09, 2008
mellow:

The devil has taken over
over who

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Thank God! Finally I Don Port! From Atheism To Jesus! Update* Conversion Story. / Post Your Church Name And Your Position/Duty In Church / France’s Iconic Notre-dame Cathedral Fire Fully Extinguished

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.