Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,310 members, 7,780,742 topics. Date: Thursday, 28 March 2024 at 09:04 PM

Teachers Strike Enters Second Week In Nigeria - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Teachers Strike Enters Second Week In Nigeria (3536 Views)

Pain As Nigerian Postal Workers’ Strike Enters Week 2 / Nigeria Nation Wide Strike Enters Day Two:no Deal Btw Senate N Labour / 100 People Feared Killed As Oil War Enters Second Day (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Teachers Strike Enters Second Week In Nigeria by Sisikill: 2:15pm On Jul 07, 2008
LAGOS (AFP) - Nigerian primary and secondary schools remained paralysed Monday as an indefinite strike over pay increases by teachers entered a second week, union officials said.

The industrial action will continue until the government heeds our demands for the implementation of the new salary package for our members," union leader Ade Ademeso told AFP.

He said the Nigerian Union of Teachers (NUT) had sent a letter of appeal to President Umaru Yar'Adua to intervene in the crisis.

"As a former teacher himself, the president should understand that we are only asking for our rights," he said.

The teachers launched a full-scale strike on June 30 to push the government to honour an agreement on an enhanced pay structure.

The teachers had earlier gone on a three-day strike, shutting down primary and secondary schools, but suspended the action after the government pledged to improve pay.

Teaching is among the worst paid professions in the oil rich country and the unions are demanding that the government start the new pay package immediately.

The Nigerian government said it would pay the new salary to teachers in federally-run schools, but it could not compel state and local government authorities to pay the enhanced rate in schools set up by them.

The union is however insisting that all teachers in the country should benefit from the new pay.

^^^^^
Okay, this is sooooo unfair! Poor Kids and Teachers. I've always wondered why Parents don't show their support by joining the teachers in their protests. These are your children for goodness sakes!
Re: Teachers Strike Enters Second Week In Nigeria by otokx(m): 2:17pm On Jul 07, 2008
This only obtains in public schools.
Re: Teachers Strike Enters Second Week In Nigeria by Sisikill: 2:24pm On Jul 07, 2008
Actually, the Teachers Association have asked Private School teachers to join in their protest. IRRC, some did for 3 days last week, not sure if they'll continue this week.
Re: Teachers Strike Enters Second Week In Nigeria by Mustay(m): 2:30pm On Jul 07, 2008
Re: Teachers Strike Enters Second Week In Nigeria by Kobojunkie: 3:46pm On Jul 07, 2008
I believe the strike is actually Nationwide.
Re: Teachers Strike Enters Second Week In Nigeria by DisGuy: 4:05pm On Jul 07, 2008
Speaking to Daily Trust, proprietor of Bennie International School , Mrs Bennie I. Ihena said that some people suspected to be members of the NLC besieged her school and forcefully sent all the children they found in the school back home.

She said the people numbering about 200 climbed into the school premises before finally breaking the main gate of the school after which they chased away all the children.

isn't this illegal?
Re: Teachers Strike Enters Second Week In Nigeria by Sisikill: 5:30pm On Jul 07, 2008
Dis Guy:

isn't this illegal?

Yeah but who is going to control them? My sister's kids attend a private school and the administrators had to hire private security to keep the kids safe.

I don't blame the teachers for wanting to get paid but this kind of behavior is just uncouth.
Re: Teachers Strike Enters Second Week In Nigeria by ifyalways(f): 6:34pm On Jul 07, 2008
Wonder why we graduate at 50 anyone? embarassed
But why wud they force the private institutions to join them?lawlessnes at its peak embarassed
Re: Teachers Strike Enters Second Week In Nigeria by Mamajama(m): 7:12pm On Jul 07, 2008
And some people are saying this administration is effective?

An efficient president would have engaged in dialogue and prevent the strike
Re: Teachers Strike Enters Second Week In Nigeria by DisGuy: 7:16pm On Jul 07, 2008
The Nigerian government said it would pay the new salary to teachers in federally-run schools, but it could not compel state and local government authorities to pay the enhanced rate in schools set up by them.

so whose fault is it really?
is it the state or the government, shouldn't the teachers be holding the state governors to ransom
after all some states pay about the same as the federal government
Re: Teachers Strike Enters Second Week In Nigeria by BigB11(m): 7:53pm On Jul 07, 2008
And some people are saying this administration is effective?

An efficient president would have engaged in dialogue and prevent the strike
MAMAJAMA: why do you always open up your mouth like a bushman?

Strike is not always a bad thing.
I personally see strike as a presentation of dialogue between multiple entities; an indirect communication tool, which is often used to effectively accomplish various type of goals all around the world.
FYI: Strike may occur even when things seem to be going well.

I just hope that the agreement with the teachers is attained on time before things start falling apart.

JAMA: May be Nigerian Police Department should have used the same strategy to send a message to the public when Oga Ehindero started to steal Police Dept fund.
What do you think?
Re: Teachers Strike Enters Second Week In Nigeria by Mamajama(m): 8:18pm On Jul 07, 2008
What an idiot and a typical Hausa boy with drinking palmwine issues.

Did Nigerian police engage in strike under Ehinderos watch? what concrete evidence do you have that Ehindero engage in stealing of public funds beside the nefarious allegations by people like you and the empty barking dogs called the Nigerian press.

I've told you and will continue to tell you, please have your facts right before coming out and challenging a well informed mind.

Who is benefiting from the a strike action? How does strike help instill confidence in investors and the economy?

one does not need a Cambridge degree to know the devastating effects of strike on the economy.

We all can recalled how many schools were closed due to strike actions under the wicked toothless genius of the 21st century AKA IBB Maradona
Re: Teachers Strike Enters Second Week In Nigeria by BigB11(m): 8:31pm On Jul 07, 2008
Jama:
You sound like an injured police dog. You need to calm down, my friend.
I wasn't the one that sent Ehindero the UN rejection letter.

You need to direct your energy towards Okiro and Obaniyi.

http://odili.net/news/source/2007/jun/13/800.html
Re: Teachers Strike Enters Second Week In Nigeria by Mamajama(m): 9:14pm On Jul 07, 2008
Let me refrain from calling you the name that you are. You are here posting a column that was published over a year ago with no credibility? Is that the best you can get?

Do you remember how many allegations were levied against Ehindero when he left office?

Has he been indicted for any money laundry or mismanagement? My father always told me you can not buy a good name and money is not every thing in life.

Let me take you back to Nigerian press 101.

The only reason they attacked Ehindero with all their pessimistic inaccurate allegations were because he threatened and arrested couple media boys for falsifying news to sell paper while in office.

Ehindero bough IG’s house for 400 Million Naira – False
Ehindero stole 21 million naira - false
Ehindero sold house to Ribadu - false
Ehindero took interest of 15 million of police equipment founds for personal use – false
Ehindero built 10 houses while in office as IGP – false

Like I’ve told you in the past, Get your facts right before publishing fake stories with no credibility
Re: Teachers Strike Enters Second Week In Nigeria by vowiski(m): 9:22pm On Jul 07, 2008
if na to sign N5 million senators furniture allowances, all of them for don dey delebrate for the issue,
now the reverse is the case.
NUT continue the strike,
M in full support,
COASU to join NUT on wednessday to friday for a symphathy strike,
or RESIGN NOW! MUSA.
Re: Teachers Strike Enters Second Week In Nigeria by Mamajama(m): 9:26pm On Jul 07, 2008
Any intelligent economist will tell you strike action should be the last action because it does no one good.

It only paralyze the economy and scare investors. Take that to toothless general
Re: Teachers Strike Enters Second Week In Nigeria by debosky(m): 9:27pm On Jul 07, 2008
This strike is not the fault of Umaru - one minute we are crying for 'federalism' the next minute you want everything dictated from Abuja? You can't have it both ways.

Teachers in secondary and primary schools are under the purview of states and local governments - there is no way Yar'adua can decide for Fashola or Nyako or Sylva how much to pay their teachers - this is what NUT is in effect asking him to do, do unilaterally increase salaries when the people on strike do not report to him.

The right thing to do is to increase the salaries of federally employed teachers (as the government has said it will do) and leave state chapters of NUT to negotiate with state governments to reach agreements as to when they will be able to implement the salary increases.

The other problem I have is, why go and close private schools? people are paying for those services and deserve to get value for their money; it is not their fault that the government has not done what it is supposed to do.
Re: Teachers Strike Enters Second Week In Nigeria by Mamajama(m): 9:57pm On Jul 07, 2008
debosky I totally disagree with you. for example the supreme court or the court of last resort has jurisdiction over local courts and appellate courts. The federal government had jurisdiction over local and state governments, any issue that can not be resolved locally always goes to the federal level.

The president is the chief executive of the land and all governors are subordinate to him. If they can not resolve issues arisen in their constituencies and states, then the president should call them to order.
Re: Teachers Strike Enters Second Week In Nigeria by debosky(m): 3:23pm On Jul 08, 2008
The state governors are not subordinate to anyone - they are equal partners with other states in the federation who ceded power to a central authority. This is not a case of courts, it is a case of the source of authority and powers. The president cannot decide what Lagos State or Abia State spends its resources on, it has NO RIGHT to dictate to the federating units and the constitution is clear on that.

The president 'calling them to order' can only occur if there is consensus and agreement. Besides, have you heard of any negotiations with state governments? No - these teachers (I wonder what they teach on federalism) have wrongly believed by going after the center they will achieve what they want. It will not work that way. A teacher in Zungeru cannot possibly be paid the same as a teacher in Victoria Island - they have different costs of living and that should be expressed in their wages.

This 'national' pay structure of a thing will not work, even if they succeed now, they will still need to go to the states and if the states decide they cannot pay, another round of strikes will begin. Negotiations should go on at state level - only issues such as a national minimum wage should be discussed at a federal level.
Re: Teachers Strike Enters Second Week In Nigeria by Mustay(m): 4:14pm On Jul 24, 2008
NIGERIAN GOVERNMENT OPTIMISTIC TEACHERS WILL BACK DOWN

The Nigerian Government has expressed optimism that the on-going teachers' strike in the Country will soon come to an end. Minister of Information and Communications John Odey and his education counterpart, Igwe Aja Nwachukwu told newsmen after Wednesday's Federal Executive Council meeting in Abuja that the teachers will call-off the strike based on national interest.

Twenty-Three days after,Nigerian Government has refused meeting the teachers demand for pay increase insisting that tha teachers should backdown on their demand based on national interest.

The appeal by Government that teachers should backdown may fall on deaf ears as the teachers have resolved to continue to put their feet down. The Federal Cabinet also approved measures to decongest Federal access roads leading to, and within the Lagos Port complex.

These include re-acquiring its right of way on the raods and the construction of trailer parks near the sea ports. Governor Babatunde Fashola of Lagos State, who was invited to the Federal cabinet meetinmg also said 16 tank farms that failed to provide holdings bays within the port complex have been suspended from using the ports.

Eight different contracts valued at about One Billion Naira were approved for the University of Nigeria to enable it successfully host the 2009 Nigerian University games.

(1) (Reply)

Nigeria Predicted To Have The Highest Averge Gdp Growth In The World In 40 Years / National Awards Committee Is Incompetent - Udom U. Ekpoudom / Lagos Trailer Driver Jailed For Driving Against Traffic

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 33
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.