Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,381 members, 7,808,357 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 10:48 AM

Club-Lexus - Car Talk (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Club-Lexus (352985 Views)

Tokunbo Lexus Rx 300 Or Brand New Kia Rio 2014 / The Toyota / Lexus Hybrid Thread. / Guys, I Really Need Your Sincere Advice. Lexus RX300 Or Acura MDX ? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (140) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Club-Lexus by Trac: 5:07am On Nov 04, 2013
Tunarps:
Please what can you say about the GS 300 2000 model and the ES 300 2002 model. I don't see many of the ES 300 around and I love the car

Frankly, I don't know much about Lexus or Toyota. They are overrated. What I previously stated was based on the fact that Toyota at 2006 put to comprehensive production a mechanical ground-breaking feat and that drew my attention seriously. The 2006 and up is many milestones before any generation that preceded it. Meaning: the engineering core. This made it worth a trade-up of vehicle.

The generation of GS you stated is colloquially terms as "Whale." From a credible source, it break down. I can't detail anything about the ES save for the fact [that] it is a Camry on couch with exotic-suspension.
Re: Club-Lexus by Nobody: 8:54am On Nov 04, 2013
‘Jägermeister’:

All-wheel is better on gas-mileage, it has a quicker acceleration therefore reducing the amount of cylinders/valves it fires @ a time

What are you talking about bro? Your analogy here is really mixed up.

AWD actually increases fuel consumption! More weight, more load, more internal friction. It will give improved tyre wear, improved high speed stability (superior lateral grip).

All at the expense of worse gas or diesel mileage.

An AWD with part-time 4WD sbould NOT be driven on dry tarmac with 4WD AND lockable centre / rear differential (if fitted) engaged. Besides much higher fuel consumption, the differential will be over-worked. This will also destroy the transfer box prematurely.

It pays to know your car - read the manual, guys!

2 Likes

Re: Club-Lexus by Jagermeister(m): 8:21pm On Nov 04, 2013
Tunarps:
Please what can you say about the GS 300 2000 model and the ES 300 2002 model. I don't see many of the ES 300 around and I love the car
The ES300's are all-the-way special because they're uncommon as the camry's...I ditched the '05 accord for my ES300 & till now, I feel happy for that decision... To answer ur question, u don't see them around because they're not ur regular honda's & toyota's, they were built for men & not boys, they come in one trim(base) & with its standard V6, boys will run for safety, it loves fuel..I'm glad that I can afford all the fuel it needs! grin

2 Likes

Re: Club-Lexus by Jagermeister(m): 8:33pm On Nov 04, 2013
Siena:

What are you talking about bro? Your analogy here is really mixed up.

AWD actually increases fuel consumption! More weight, more load, more internal friction. It will give improved tyre wear, improved high speed stability (superior lateral grip).

All at the expense of worse gas or diesel mileage.

An AWD with part-time 4WD sbould NOT be driven on dry tarmac with 4WD AND lockable centre / rear differential (if fitted) engaged. Besides much higher fuel consumption, the differential will be over-worked. This will also destroy the transfer box prematurely.

It pays to know your car - read the manual, guys!

Siena I'm honoured to have you on dis thread, I thought I knew/loved cars until I wandered into nairaland & read ur reviews... Just to clarify though, about what u said...I disagree, from my experience thus far, front wheel/rear wheels(with exceptions) are worse on gas-mileage, although I agree with u that locking differentials may be over-worked due to AWD activity!

1 Like

Re: Club-Lexus by Nobody: 10:07pm On Nov 04, 2013
‘Jägermeister’:
I disagree, from my experience thus far, front wheel/rear wheels(with exceptions) are worse on gas-mileage

Bro, from your experience, how did you work out gas mileage?

We're talking about two similar models - same make, model, engine capacity, but one 2WD, the other 4WD. The gas mileage of the AWD will be poorer. This is not an opinion, it's a scientific fact.

The 4WD version of a particular model also tend to be lower geared, which also hurts gas mileage. Low gearing, more internal friction (rolling resistance) more load and weight will NOT improve gas mileage when compared with a 2WD model of the same vehicle with higher gearing, less internal friction, less load AND weight.

The same way two similar vehicles, same engine capacity, one FWD and the other RWD. RWD will be thirstier, due to the greater drivetrain losses. The further engine output has to travel to get to the driven wheels, the less economical (and efficient) the car will be. AWD sends power to all 4 driven wheels, and from your "experience" it has better gas mileage than the equivalent 2WD model?
Re: Club-Lexus by Jagermeister(m): 7:28am On Nov 06, 2013
Siena:

We're talking about two similar models - same make, model, engine capacity, but one 2WD, the other 4WD. The gas mileage of the AWD will be poorer. This is not an opinion, it's a scientific fact.

The 4WD version of a particular model also tend to be lower geared, which also hurts gas mileage. Low gearing, more internal friction (rolling resistance) more load and weight will NOT improve gas mileage when compared with a 2WD model of the same vehicle with higher gearing, less internal friction, less load AND weight.

The same way two similar vehicles, same engine capacity, one FWD and the other RWD. RWD will be thirstier, due to the greater drivetrain losses. The further engine output has to travel to get to the driven wheels, the less economical (and efficient) the car will be. AWD sends power to all 4 driven wheels, and from your "experience" it has better gas mileage than the equivalent 2WD model?
Bro I had to read & re-read, brilliant break-down of points..but then again, u forget that scientic facts can be proven other-wise! Well I get your point though..Pls explain "low-gearing"
Re: Club-Lexus by tonitone1(m): 10:50am On Nov 16, 2013
JUO: this car consumed 130 litre of fuel in a distance of 360 miles with reserve light on at the end of the journey.
my brother that car is not friendly with fuel. is a good car to own but very wicked to fuel. far better than highlander although with lesser space. i need to know, does driving with all-wheel consume more fuel than 2 wheel?

@JUO.......no this not a true reflection, i had same issues, did a scan and found that the O2 sensors are bad, i asked my mechanic to go to ladipo and changed all the four o 2 sensors and my MPG moved from 6 to 18 which is the std for rx 330.....pls do a scan quickly, i am positive you will smile afterwards.....dnt let the mechanic fool you, their knowledge of this high tech car is very low.....do itand let me know
Re: Club-Lexus by JUO(m): 11:28pm On Nov 16, 2013
@JUO.......no this not a true
reflection, i had same issues, did a
scan and found that the O2 sensors
are bad, i asked my mechanic to go to
ladipo and changed all the four o 2
sensors and my MPG moved from 6 to
18 which is the std for rx 330.....pls
do a scan quickly, i am positive you will
smile afterwards.....dnt let the
mechanic fool you, their knowledge of
this high tech car is very low.....do
itand let me know
na people like una dey deceive person go buy wrong motor. before I bought my car, a friend of mine said he normally use 20 litres of fuel every week on his Camry 2.2. imagine one of my friends telling me he used full tank about 100 litres in his 2006 tourege v8 in a distance of 470km and he still tells me the car doesn't consume feul. if I can use almost 60 litres in a distance 435ml in a 2.0 engine . What makes you think 110 litres is too much for 360 miles? at least I get 12km per litre in my 2.0 engine. please elighten us how many km per litre do you get ?
Re: Club-Lexus by Trac: 11:40pm On Nov 16, 2013
‘Jägermeister’:

Bro I had to read & re-read, brilliant break-down of points..but then again, u forget that scientic facts can be proven other-wise! Well I get your point though..Pls explain "low-gearing"

Scientific facts cannot be proven otherwise. If it is: it is no science. GOD does not make mistakes; HE is a perfectionist; "the world also is stablished that it cannot be moved - Psalms 93 .1-1/2 or 1b)." It (science) is GOD's laws of nature that puts everything in place. This is why you can't toss your keys in the air and it forgets to return to you. Corrupting it (science) with vain philosophies is abominable and shouldn't be sought after. Science is common sense; it has its own place in terms of application (that is it gives no revelation - it is factual). Suspension of scientific laws in real-time is defined as a miracle and GOD reserves the right[s] to Himself so that man never partakes (ascribes no portion) in the credit.

3 Likes

Re: Club-Lexus by JUO(m): 11:54pm On Nov 16, 2013
@ trac so you be Christian?
Re: Club-Lexus by Trac: 1:02am On Nov 17, 2013
JUO: @ trac so you be Christian?

Yes I am. It is also right to appropriate credit to Whom it belongs.
Re: Club-Lexus by icemann(m): 2:42am On Nov 17, 2013
‘Jägermeister’:

The ES300's are all-the-way special because they're uncommon as the camry's...I ditched the '05 accord for my ES300 & till now, I feel happy for that decision... To answer ur question, u don't see them around because they're not ur regular honda's & toyota's, they were built for men & not boys, they come in one trim(base) & with its standard V6, boys will run for safety, it loves fuel..I'm glad that I can afford all the fuel it needs! grin

You are wrong,They come in at least 3 trims with the same engine (At least 3 cos some car makes do cars EXCLUSIVELY FOR SPECIAL CLUB MEMBERS like MB does for MB club members).

‘Jägermeister’:

All-wheel is better on gas-mileage, it has a quicker acceleration therefore reducing the amount of cylinders/valves it fires @ a time, they're designed to apply more horse-power quicker than 2-wheelers, this improves fuel economy! locking differentials are better active on typical 4-wheelers too,if available!

Really? Still trying to wrap my head around this statement.
Re: Club-Lexus by Trac: 4:42am On Nov 17, 2013
icemann:

Really? Still trying to wrap my head around this statement.

A head-start for you: inertia!

You have less torque per unit wheel against inertia. Mass is quad-divided.
Re: Club-Lexus by yungboss(m): 8:43am On Nov 17, 2013
Good morning Trac,
I have really missed your active participation in the Threads, especially the Mercedes'. My email has been blocked by yahoo for months, so i lost touch. I will Create a new identity and communicate it to you.
Re: Club-Lexus by icemann(m): 8:06pm On Nov 17, 2013
Siena:

Adding to what siena mention above 4WD are heavier compared to the 2WD versions. Its and extra shaft, extra gears in the box and i some cases an extra axel.

Trac:

A head-start for you: inertia!

You have less torque per unit wheel against inertia. Mass is quad-divided.

Energy Transfer law and friction and Difference in mass disprove the fact that 4WD are less thirsty than 2WD of the same model.
Re: Club-Lexus by Trac: 5:17am On Nov 20, 2013
yungboss: Good morning Trac,
I have really missed your active participation in the Threads, especially the Mercedes'. My email has been blocked by yahoo for months, so i lost touch. I will Create a new identity and communicate it to you.

How do you do?

-- no problem. I've been busy of recent as well (that's why I haven't gotten back). I've decided to break the task over a couple of days, thus broadening horizon. I'll try to have it completed before the holidays :-)
Re: Club-Lexus by Trac: 5:42am On Nov 20, 2013
icemann:

Adding to what siena mention above 4WD are heavier compared to the 2WD versions. Its and extra shaft, extra gears in the box and i some cases an extra axel.

Energy Transfer law and friction and Difference in mass disprove the fact that 4WD are less thirsty than 2WD of the same model.

Thanks for the correction:after reading the whole thing, I misunderstood the trend and read it totally different. The answer given has no reference to the discussion :-)
Re: Club-Lexus by Originalsly: 9:47pm On Nov 20, 2013
Lexusgs430: Love every bit of my Lexus GS430. The drive is smooth, gear change is like witchcraft
Lmao...you need to do promo for Lexus!
Re: Club-Lexus by Jagermeister(m): 10:52pm On Nov 26, 2013
[quote author=icemann]

You are wrong,They come in at least 3 trims with the same engine (At least 3 cos some car makes do cars EXCLUSIVELY FOR SPECIAL CLUB MEMBERS like MB does for MB club members).

What da heck are u talking about bro? Do a proper research b4 commenting, that's the car I drive... Not all cars come in different trims, even non-luxury vehicles, this is a luxury car & it offers no other trim because its base comes with standard luxury features! Nothing less.. Speak for the car you drive.

Pls let's try not to derail from the original idea.

@ Trac... God is God, Science is Science! Thanks for the brilliant analysis to iceman!
Re: Club-Lexus by Emperoh(m): 6:05pm On Jul 01, 2014
So the data loss also hit us. . . . .and very key data lost. lipsrsealed embarassed cry cry
Re: Club-Lexus by jimmrozz: 4:29pm On Jul 08, 2014
Hi Folks,
kindly assist, my Lexus RX 350 (2008) is showing VSC OFF, a symbol and a CHECK sign. kindly assist.
Re: Club-Lexus by Nobody: 4:33pm On Jul 08, 2014
jimmrozz: Hi Folks,
kindly assist, my Lexus RX 350 (2008) is showing VSC OFF, a symbol and a CHECK sign. kindly assist.
what did you do before it illuminated those 'christmas lights'?
Re: Club-Lexus by Nobody: 4:34pm On Jul 08, 2014
Take a picture of the dials and the lights turned on
Re: Club-Lexus by jimmrozz: 5:26pm On Jul 08, 2014
lomomike: what did you do before it illuminated those 'christmas lights'?
It happens early in the morning when I started the car, I did nothing, but I only try to switch it off according to the manual.
Re: Club-Lexus by Emperoh(m): 5:31pm On Jul 08, 2014
jimmrozz:
It happens early in the morning when I started the car, I did nothing, but I only try to switch it off according to the manual.

If i get you correctly, your check engine light came on alongside the TRAC OFF and VSA light?
If this is correct, you should be running a diagnostic scan on the car to know what the issue with CEL is first of all.
I noticed that with the Lexus, once the CEL comes on, it brings on the VSA and TRAC OFF indicators as well. Once the CEL issue is sorted and codes cleared, these lights go off as well and don't come on.

Again, how do you intend to manually switch off these lights? I hope you don't mean taking off the battery connectors? Doing these will not solve the problem The lights will simply come back on once the ECU resets. Go to a diagnostic mechanic and run a scan, and bring the codes here.
cool cool
Re: Club-Lexus by Nobody: 5:57pm On Jul 08, 2014
jimmrozz:

in toyota/Lexus vehicles, when you turn turn on the ignition, the system goes into diagnostic mode to check the state of various components in the vehicle, if all is okay, the airbag lights, abs, vsc, check engine etc lights go off in few seconds. However, if any component isn't working or develops a fault, the related lights stays on or blinks in the instrument cluster. As the case is with your car, pls I'd advice you to scan the car with a compatible OBD ii scan tool and post the codes here for us to guide you on how to troubleshoot and correct any anomaly.
Re: Club-Lexus by jimmrozz: 6:07pm On Jul 08, 2014
Emperoh:

If i get you correctly, your check engine light came on alongside the TRAC OFF and VSA light?
If this is correct, you should be running a diagnostic scan on the car to know what the issue with CEL is first of all.
I noticed that with the Lexus, once the CEL comes on, it brings on the VSA and TRAC OFF indicators as well. Once the CEL issue is sorted and codes cleared, these lights go off as well and don't come on.

Again, how do you intend to manually switch off these lights? I hope you don't mean taking off the battery connectors? Doing these will not solve the problem The lights will simply come back on once the ECU resets. Go to a diagnostic mechanic and run a scan, and bring the codes here.
cool cool
Thanks, I press the VSC botton according to the manual.
Re: Club-Lexus by mdenigma(m): 9:18am On Jul 24, 2014
Originalsly: Lmao...you need to do promo for Lexus!

Hello house. I'm a newbie here though my account was opened a couple of years back. I recently acquired a 2008 lexus es 350. How do I put up posts here? Thanks
Re: Club-Lexus by mdenigma(m): 7:46am On Jul 31, 2014
mdenigma:

Hello house. I'm a newbie here though my account was opened a couple of years back. I recently acquired a 2008 lexus es 350. How do I put up posts here? Thanks

Good morning all. Its been a week since I put up my enquiries without any response. Is this forum under an ebola virus attack? I'm due for the first oil change since I got the ride. My mech insists total quartz 7000(sae 15/50) is the way to go. What are my options since I'm located in kaduna? Thanks

Re: Club-Lexus by Nobody: 8:05am On Jul 31, 2014
mdenigma:

I know the recommended oil for your engine. But I'd advice you to read your car owners manual to get information on the recommended oil for your lexus. If you can't find out, lemme know.
Re: Club-Lexus by mdenigma(m): 11:19pm On Jul 31, 2014
lomomike:

I know the recommended oil for your engine. But I'd advice you to read your car owners manual to get information on the recommended oil for your lexus. If you can't find out, lemme know.

Thanks for your response. I was beginning to think I'm in the wrong section. I checked online and found most dealerships recommend sae 5w20 or 5w30. I don't knw how available and affordable these oils are where I reside. What are the cons of using total quartz 7000? I have other enquiries to make but I guess we'll take them piecemeal. You guys are doing a great job!
Re: Club-Lexus by Nobody: 2:48am On Aug 01, 2014
mdenigma:

Thanks for your response. I was beginning to think I'm in the wrong section. I checked online and found most dealerships recommend sae 5w20 or 5w30. I don't knw how available and affordable these oils are where I reside. What are the cons of using total quartz 7000? I have other enquiries to make but I guess we'll take them piecemeal. You guys are doing a great job!

I'm glad you know the specified oil. If you stay within Nigeria, you can check online and order it if you're in Europe, Asia or the Americas, then you can easily get the oil. Once again, you're welcome.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (140) (Reply)

Peugeot: Cars With Attitude! / The Official Car Comparison/Recommendation Thread / How Many Kilometres Can Your Car Travel Per Litre Of Fuel?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 67
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.