Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,353 members, 7,800,707 topics. Date: Thursday, 18 April 2024 at 01:52 AM

Enugu, Crime Capital Of Nigeria – Survey - Crime - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Crime / Enugu, Crime Capital Of Nigeria – Survey (21976 Views)

Sweden Opened Its Doors To Migrants Today Its The Rape Capital Of The West... / SE Is Crime Capital Of Nigeria - Survey / Thamesmead (aka "Little Lagos"): The Fraud Capital Of The Uk (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Enugu, Crime Capital Of Nigeria – Survey by yunglykmine(m): 6:20am On Oct 22, 2013
Where would you likely be a victim of crime in Nigeria? See the safest and most dangerous states in Nigeria.

Enugu State, in the south east, is the official crime capital of Nigeria, a crime perception survey released on Monday in Abuja has said.

At least 70 per cent of respondents to the survey in Enugu admitted they were victims of crime in the past year, the 2013 National Crime Victimization and Safety Survey conducted by CLEEN Foundation showed.

The national average was 25 per cent – one in every four Nigerian. The survey showed a progressive decrease in the number of victims of crime in Nigeria.

“There has been a six per cent decrease
in actual experience of crime from the 31 per cent recorded in 2012 to the current 25 percent,” the report said.

The report surveyed for crimes like robbery, kidnapping, physical assault, phone and car theft, rape and attempted rape, domestic violence, attempted murder and other crimes.

The Crime Victimization Survey used data collected across Nigeria between June and July 2013.

Closely following Enugu State is its neighbour, Ebonyi, where at least 65 per cent – at least three in every five residents – were victims of crime.

Ekiti state, in southwest Nigeria, shares the same crime records with Ebonyi State. More than three in every five respondents admitted they were victims of crime last year.

Ogun State, a neighbour to Lagos is the safest state in Nigeria with only about one in every 20 citizens admitting they were victims of crimes last year.

Katsina State in Northwest Nigeria is the next safest. Only about one in every 10 residents was a victim of crime last year.

Lagos State recorded 18 percent.

Borno and Yobe, despite being the hotbed for Boko Haram attacks recorded seemingly low crime rates, according to the report. Only about one in every four resident admitted being victims of crime last year. Boko Haram militants have murdered over 1,500 people in the states since launching a vicious attack against government establishments, security agencies, religious places and the residents.

At a geopolitical level, the South East recorded the highest number of crimes with 44 per cent of respondents complaining they were victims. The North West recorded the lowest score of 18 per cent crime rate.

On a gender scale, more men than women fell victims of crimes in Nigeria last year.

“Further (segregation) by gender indicates that more men (27%) had actual experience than women (23%),” the report said.

Irony of feeling

Although Ogun State recorded the lowest actual experience of crime, almost everyone in the state fear they would become victims of crime.

The findings of the 2013 survey indicated that 94 per cent of Ogun residents fear they are likely victims of crime. In actual sense, only one in 20 was a victim of crime.

On a national scale, more than 7 out of 10 Nigerians had the fear of becoming victims of crime last year.

The people who feel safest are those in
Benue and Taraba States. Only 38 per cent of residents in those state had fears of becoming victims of crime. One in four residents of Benue state were victims of crime last year, and not more than one in every six in Taraba.

“Analysing by gender, 73 percent of
females feared becoming victims of crime compared to 71 percent of males,” the report said.

“Overall, these findings are meant to assist the government, police and the entire criminal justice administration system to better understand emerging trends in crime and safety in Nigeria and consequently, to refine and deploy improved strategies to resolve the country’s current challenges of security and safety,” the authors, CLEEN Foundation, said.

The survey was conducted with support from the Macarthur Foundation.

http://premiumtimesng.com/news/147014-enugu-crime-capital-nigeria-survey.html

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Enugu, Crime Capital Of Nigeria – Survey by ochilikoko(m): 6:24am On Oct 22, 2013
yunglykmine: Where would you likely be a victim of crime in Nigeria? See the safest and most dangerous states in Nigeria.
Enugu State, in the south east, is the official crime capital of Nigeria, a crime perception survey released on Monday in Abuja has said.
At least 70 per cent of respondents to the survey in Enugu admitted they were victims of crime in the past year, the 2013 National Crime Victimization and Safety Survey conducted by CLEEN Foundation showed.
The national average was 25 per cent – one in every four Nigerian. The survey showed a progressive decrease in the number of victims of crime in Nigeria.
“There has been a six per cent decrease in actual experience of crime from the 31 per cent recorded in 2012 to the current 25 percent,” the report said.
The report surveyed for crimes like robbery, kidnapping, physical assault, phone and car theft, rape and attempted rape, domestic violence, attempted murder and other crimes.
The Crime Victimization Survey used data collected across Nigeria between June and July 2013.
Closely following Enugu State is its neighbour, Ebonyi, where at least 65 per cent – at least three in every five residents – were victims of crime.
Ekiti state, in southwest Nigeria, shares the same crime records with Ebonyi State. More than three in every five respondents admitted they were victims of crime last year.
Ogun State, a neighbour to Lagos is the safest state in Nigeria with only about one in every 20 citizens admitting they were victims of crimes last year.
Katsina State in Northwest Nigeria is the next safest. Only about one in every 10 residents was a victim of crime last year.
Lagos State recorded 18 percent.
Borno and Yobe, despite being the hotbed for Boko Haram attacks recorded seemingly low crime rates, according to the report. Only about one in every four resident admitted being victims of crime last year. Boko Haram militants have murdered over 1,500 people in the states since launching a vicious attack against government establishments, security agencies, religious places and the residents.
At a geopolitical level, the South East recorded the highest number of crimes with 44 per cent of respondents complaining they were victims. The North West recorded the lowest score of 18 per cent crime rate.
On a gender scale, more men than women fell victims of crimes in Nigeria last year.
“Further (segregation) by gender indicates that more men (27%) had actual experience than women (23%),” the report said.
Irony of feeling
Although Ogun State recorded the lowest actual experience of crime, almost everyone in the state fear they would become victims of crime.
The findings of the 2013 survey indicated that 94 per cent of Ogun residents fear they are likely victims of crime. In actual sense, only one in 20 was a victim of crime.
On a national scale, more than 7 out of 10 Nigerians had the fear of becoming victims of crime last year.
The people who feel safest are those in Benue and Taraba States. Only 38 per cent of residents in those state had fears of becoming victims of crime. One in four residents of Benue state were victims of crime last year, and not more than one in every six in Taraba.
“Analysing by gender, 73 percent of females feared becoming victims of crime compared to 71 percent of males,” the report said.
“Overall, these findings are meant to assist the government, police and the entire criminal justice administration system to better understand emerging trends in crime and safety in Nigeria and consequently, to refine and deploy improved strategies to resolve the country’s current challenges of security and safety,” the authors, CLEEN Foundation, said.
The survey was conducted with support from the Macarthur Foundation.
[Download the full report here]

http://premiumtimesng.com/news/147014-enugu-crime-capital-nigeria-survey.html
nonsence report. Let dem employ stratify survey research let me see if Delta wount top d rank

18 Likes

Re: Enugu, Crime Capital Of Nigeria – Survey by LMAyedun(m): 6:36am On Oct 22, 2013
ochilikoko: nonsence report. Let dem employ stratify survey research let me see if Delta wount top d rank
Delta isn't that bad any more... You should have mentioned Edo state instead.

5 Likes

Re: Enugu, Crime Capital Of Nigeria – Survey by nero2face: 6:41am On Oct 22, 2013
Enugu was rated de most peaceful state in 9ja, were tranquillity is assured, how come it became de state with highest crime again?, ...abeg make dem go survey again, am sure de result will change...long live 9ja

26 Likes

Re: Enugu, Crime Capital Of Nigeria – Survey by Nobody: 6:49am On Oct 22, 2013
Nonsense report, which of the enugu?

What's up with the dreaded Edo State "Benin"

Delta State Nko?

The high rate of crime in Lagos nko? All this petty robberys in mid day nko?

Illiterates are behind these stupid report

17 Likes

Re: Enugu, Crime Capital Of Nigeria – Survey by nku5: 6:52am On Oct 22, 2013
According to this report Yobe is safer than Enugu grin

55 Likes

Re: Enugu, Crime Capital Of Nigeria – Survey by nextexcel: 6:54am On Oct 22, 2013
Rubish cum silly post which enugu?I think some of this online source should be probed,all of a suden the enugu i stay turns crime center, show us the people that where involved in this survay.

13 Likes

Re: Enugu, Crime Capital Of Nigeria – Survey by gramci: 7:00am On Oct 22, 2013
Premium times and osundefence I de greet o grin

4 Likes

Re: Enugu, Crime Capital Of Nigeria – Survey by Tolexander: 7:07am On Oct 22, 2013
Wow!

Federal capital territory- Abuja

Economic capital- Lagos

Crime capital- Enugu

nigeria is a country that always find a way of maintaining the old regional division.

31 Likes

Re: Enugu, Crime Capital Of Nigeria – Survey by joeluv: 7:12am On Oct 22, 2013
Abeg wetin South East d this people. Ever since enugu international airprt started functioning some people have not slept well. Enugu that is very peaceful has turned to crime capital. Nawa o..i can never take premuim times seriously again.. ever..

55 Likes

Re: Enugu, Crime Capital Of Nigeria – Survey by Ngwakwe: 7:21am On Oct 22, 2013
The outcome this survey epitomises the corruption in the System. Nigeria has gone to the dogs.

Enugu State, the most peaceful and serene city has automatically turned to be the most dirty and dangerous city in Nigeria in less than six (6) months

This same Aviation Saboteurs are trying to pass a salient point to Nigerians
Don't use Enugu Airport, your life may be in danger.

If this campaign masqueraded as research is not exposed as the fraud it is then evil will continue to reign in Nigeria.

58 Likes

Re: Enugu, Crime Capital Of Nigeria – Survey by Extom(m): 7:23am On Oct 22, 2013
And Borno is not topping the list
Who the bleep collated the survey?

8 Likes

Re: Enugu, Crime Capital Of Nigeria – Survey by Tuntheycr7: 7:34am On Oct 22, 2013
D mods arnt doin dia work.
I wonder why this post hasnt been moved to joke section.

10 Likes

Re: Enugu, Crime Capital Of Nigeria – Survey by Chamackh(m): 7:42am On Oct 22, 2013
Just because of what Stella Oduah did wjth AIIA Enugu that these bitter soul are not happy with, NDi Igbo mepee nu anya, they don't want the Enugu airport to be viable, they want us to remain in servitude so the their region could keep prospering and developing. That is the main reason why they championing for Oduah's sack. I pity those so called Igbos that they deceive easily. Wether they like it or not Igbo land must prosper in Jesus Name Amen

54 Likes

Re: Enugu, Crime Capital Of Nigeria – Survey by cashkidp3: 7:43am On Oct 22, 2013
Enugu ga adi ka obodo oyibo..
proudly 042 boy cool cool
haterx shud kip off frm enugu sad sad

26 Likes

Re: Enugu, Crime Capital Of Nigeria – Survey by Nobody: 7:59am On Oct 22, 2013
yea, it is true. Isn't it a crime that nwanyi abacha did not check me yesterday despite having an MOU with her to always do so?

My Enugu! My Abacha!! Cheii

3 Likes

Re: Enugu, Crime Capital Of Nigeria – Survey by dridowu: 8:09am On Oct 22, 2013
So my Ogun State is the most safest in Nigeria.
Omo Ogun Iseya

14 Likes

Re: Enugu, Crime Capital Of Nigeria – Survey by goldfish80(m): 8:10am On Oct 22, 2013
Anyone with an IQ can see this is cooked up rubbish.Yellow journalizm at its best.

9 Likes

Re: Enugu, Crime Capital Of Nigeria – Survey by LMAyedun(m): 8:10am On Oct 22, 2013
But to be candid, the Northern states have been peaceful and crime free before the emergence of Boko Haram... So taking out Boko Haram from North, the Northern parts will be almost crime free.

In recent months, Edo state should be crowned "The crime Capital of Nigeria".

8 Likes

Re: Enugu, Crime Capital Of Nigeria – Survey by In2systemsTech(m): 8:20am On Oct 22, 2013
So that people will stop using enugu airport... I see your motive...

But guess what? A lot of people are coming back home through Enugu airport this festive season... Emmmmm. Choke on it...

11 Likes

Re: Enugu, Crime Capital Of Nigeria – Survey by gidson12(m): 8:50am On Oct 22, 2013
Hmmmn.....I see, these yoruba people will do what ever they can to pull people down, since enugu state has been recording more successes they've not been comfortable with it, so the next weapon is to use the media and cook up all sorts of twisted records to achieve their evil means....
I'm not from enugu but I appeal to any to visit that state to see the peace and serenity that exist there before you make your conclusion..

thank you

18 Likes

Re: Enugu, Crime Capital Of Nigeria – Survey by passion007: 9:18am On Oct 22, 2013
This is quite an 'interesting' study.
I encourage everyone to take a look at the original results of the report, not the summary given by Premium Times (You'll find the PDF at the Source link), if for nothing else, to disprove the notion that if you wanna hide something from a black man, put it in a book.
The original, unadulterated results are revealing, and I must say kudos to the researchers.
Let me post the findings here:

To begin with, Crime is a spectrum, from phone theft, to physical assault, to kidnapping, to murder.

Fear of Crime(National Average: 72%, ENUGU: 83%)
OGUN (94%) ONDO (94%) GOMBE (93%) YOBE (91%) ANAMBRA (90%)

Actual Experience of Crime:
Robbery (National Average:18%, ENUGU: 19%)
Kaduna: 43%, Akwa Ibom 42%, Cross River 39%, Anambra 32%, Niger 31%

R.ape/Attempted R.ape ( National:5%, SE:1%)
SS-10%, NE-6%, SW 4%, NW-4%, Lagos-3%, NC-3%

Kidnapping/Attempted Kidnapping (National:3%, SE:4%)
SW-5%, Lagos-4%, SE-4%, SS-4%, NW-3%, NE-3%, NC-2%

Physical Assault (National: 33%)
Enugu (84%), Ebonyi (77%), Rivers (58%), Anambra (50%), Ogun (38%)

Domestic Violence (National: 30%)
SE:43%, SW:35%, NE:35%, SS:26%, NC:19%, NW: 19%

Attempted Murder (National:5%, SE:2%)
NE:8%, SS:7%, NW:7%, SW:6%, NC:3%, SE:2%

Theft of Mobile Phone (|National Average: 45%, ENUGU: 45%)
Taraba-64%, Kwara _59%, Abia-57%, Lagos-55%, Kaduna-54%

Car Theft (National: 4%, SE:2%)
NW-6%, SS-5%, Lagos_5%, NE-4%, SW-3%, SE-2%, NC-1%

Armed Violence other than Robbery (National: 4%, SE:1%)
NE:11%, SS-9%, NC-3%, NW-3%, Lagos-2%, SW-1%, SE-1%

My Conclusion:
I have taken the stress of posting these findings as they appear in the original study.
If I have learnt anything from this thread, it's that the campaign of calumny against SouthEasterners is far from imagined. I dont know the guys at Premium Times, and don"t want to speculate what their intents are, but they should certainly be taken seriously.
Igbos need to find out the guys at Premium Times ASAP, those guys are out to destroy you by peddling lies, and distorting research findings to align with their lies .
After all, based on the research findings:

SW is the Kidnap Capital of Nigeria

Besides, a few months ago, we had this report:

“Today, I can confirm, as the Inspector-General of Police, that Enugu State has the lowest crime rate in Nigeria. I also confirm that Enugu is one the safest places in Nigeria, and this fact is buttressed by statistics and empirical evidence

“This is the result of the wonderful partnership between the Enugu State Government, the Police and other security agencies”.-Inspector Gen of Police, Muhammed Abubakar,
http://dailypost.com.ng/2013/05/22/ig-of-police-declares-enugu-safest-state-in-nigeria/

53 Likes

Re: Enugu, Crime Capital Of Nigeria – Survey by LMAyedun(m): 9:21am On Oct 22, 2013
gidson12: Hmmmn.....I see, these yoruba people will do what ever they can to pull people down, since enugu state has been recording more successes they've not been comfortable with it, so the next weapon is to use the media and cook up all sorts of twisted records to achieve their evil means....
I'm not from enugu but I appeal to any to visit that state to see the peace and serenity that exist there before you make your conclusion..

thank you
And how on earth are you so sure Yoruba(s) collated this report/survey?

5 Likes

Re: Enugu, Crime Capital Of Nigeria – Survey by Nobody: 9:22am On Oct 22, 2013
Yorubas showing their true colours.yorubas always resort to propoganda whenever they see competition.they are using the media to tell lies against the aviation minister and enugu state just because they feel threatenend with the emergence of enugu international airport.as we speak,yorubas are already gearing up to launch propoganda against ibaka seaport in akwa ibom state which they see as a threat to lagos port monopoly in the maritime sector.

17 Likes

Re: Enugu, Crime Capital Of Nigeria – Survey by Nobody: 9:28am On Oct 22, 2013
This survey get K-leg o! E no make sense at all! grin

3 Likes

Re: Enugu, Crime Capital Of Nigeria – Survey by signz: 9:31am On Oct 22, 2013
Enugu, crime capital of Nigeria This must be a joke cheesy cheesy cheesy grin grin grin

3 Likes

Re: Enugu, Crime Capital Of Nigeria – Survey by IGBOSON1: 10:02am On Oct 22, 2013
Extom: And Borno is not topping the list
Who the bleep collated the survey?

^^^Apparently, it looks like chopping off heads is an act of endearment! undecided

3 Likes

Re: Enugu, Crime Capital Of Nigeria – Survey by Coldfeet(f): 10:06am On Oct 22, 2013
You don't mean it?
Re: Enugu, Crime Capital Of Nigeria – Survey by Lilimax(f): 10:07am On Oct 22, 2013
Borno state should be the most peaceful state if that is the case angry

Ndi nzuzu sad!

11 Likes

Re: Enugu, Crime Capital Of Nigeria – Survey by ngooka: 10:08am On Oct 22, 2013
Nonsense report, not my own enugu where I leave and relaxed

3 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Police Declare Amina Mukta Missing In Minna (Photo) / PCRRU: How To Report The Unlawful Actions Of Nigerian Police officers / Prophet Threatens To Kill Widow After Defrauding Her Of N18m

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.