Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,872 members, 7,802,808 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 10:07 PM

Advice An Unsatisfied Business Centre Worker - Career (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Advice An Unsatisfied Business Centre Worker (6169 Views)

Osun Worker Attempts Suicide Over Unpaid Salary / Offshore Oil Worker,lets Meet Here / Why Does It Take Some Companies So Long To Pay Their Worker? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Advice An Unsatisfied Business Centre Worker by Nobody: 8:16pm On Oct 23, 2013
....But what kind of a mother insults or mocks her child because of his financial status! Is that not driving him into materialism?
No wonder some people use their mother for money ritual angry

bknight:

Whoever tells his mother his monthly salary? Are you still dependent on her? Grown men don't do this, even if you earn a million every month. Except the wife u're married to, others can jump into boiling soup. Its even better telling friends, than family undecided angry

Ok, so is the pay small cos ur mom says its small or small in comparison to ur friends' salaries? Answer the intrinsic questions:
Does the salary pay ur immediate bills? Does it settle at least 75% of ur needs? And 50% of ur wants?

It can be small according to ur mom and relatively small compared with ur friends' but pulls u through the month just fine. Then u shld stay on the job and develop urself better. With better developed&sharpened skills, u'd have an edge to demand a pay rise.

If ur mom&friends are the sole reasons why u are saddened abt ur salary, not that it doesn't take you through the month, then u need a lash. NLers can help u with tongue-lash undecided
Re: Advice An Unsatisfied Business Centre Worker by Egbagirl(f): 8:20pm On Oct 23, 2013
You also mentioned something very important. You want to stay and prove to her that you can do graphic designing? Great! Do that but take it a step further by trying to do something outstanding with that skill. So you can do graphic designing but have you thought of adding value to the business with this skill? Think of something different you can do with the graphic designing skill that you want to master and think of ways to improve the business through this and ADD VALUE.

In addition, if what you are doing now can be done by any tom, dick and harry then I am afraid you might never get a salary increase. You want to be exceptional no matter what you do. If all you do is greet customers as they walk in, be exceptional at that to the extent that if you are gone for just one day, your absence will be felt. And as you do this, if you want to move up the ladder, then develop yourself and work your way up. Be proactive, diligent and disciplined. He who is faithful in little will be faithful in much. Do not despise humble beginnings because they open amazing doors of opportunity to those who desire to succeed.
Re: Advice An Unsatisfied Business Centre Worker by Bome01(m): 10:26pm On Oct 23, 2013
Nmeri17: good morning career experts. my problem is a bit simple. I work at a business center. and to say the truth, I've gained a lot in my two month stay. but sadly money isnt part of the many things I've gained. yesterday was payday and after the much hope I had that there'd be s pay increase, there was none at all. I perceive she does not increase my salary because I'm not into designing so I actually want to stay an extra month to prove to her that I can design. but whenever I think of the salary I totally lose my motivation to work.

I'm the brokest of my friends, even my mom insults me cos of the pay. but then I love the people here. I love my customers and I've not yet made the kind of name I would want to make. so I need your advice pls. should I ask for an increase or resign or just continue for the experience
Don't know why young people get carried away by financial issues when they're supposed to focus on the experience they get! Try to gain the needed experience and when you're satisfied enough to have done that, sack yourself and move onto greater heights!
Re: Advice An Unsatisfied Business Centre Worker by OlowoB(m): 12:59am On Oct 24, 2013
whirlwind7: Let me come out blunt and straight to the point.

1: Who asks for a pay increase just 2 months on the job? I dont really see a good reason why you should expect an increase when you are just a newbie on the job.

2: You think you know the reason why your pay wasn't topped (not into designing) So, why not work on it, and satisfy yourself that you've met that criteria?

3: You love your job, and seem to have a good rapport with the customers. This, in my opinion, is a better motivation than the little pay increase you might expect

4: Quit comparing your financial status with that of your friends. It does nothing to help you.

5: Work to gain the experience, and not the pay. The experience will make you better equipped to build yourself. The marginal pay increase is just that: It's marginal, and adds little value to yuor person.

6: Dont quit the job. Prove yourself, then you can be on your way afterwards. If your boss then realises your worth, you could get a better offer

7: In today's materialistic world, money's worth has been so over-hyped. Keep a cool head, and come out smiling in the end.

One love! wink

May God bless u for dis wonderful post of urs. Couldn't have said it better.
Re: Advice An Unsatisfied Business Centre Worker by Nmeri17: 5:44am On Oct 24, 2013
I have heard you all and what i understand you're trying to say is two months is too short a period to ask for a pay rise but then, i know how much i put in my boss' pocket on a daily basis. Jus saying tho. Another thing is she harasses me before customers with reckless abandon and aside that being embarrasing it is demeaning
Re: Advice An Unsatisfied Business Centre Worker by oweniwe(m): 7:03am On Oct 24, 2013
^^ don't mind them. Its very hard to work for those "thick madam" small business owners. And its worse if she has kids. . Hot temper things. Why they do like that, i don't know.

As for the revenue part. . Its so frustrating to think of it. I said earlier i type about 70 pages per day. . That's about 4k daily. .4k daily. . 20k weekly and 80k per month. . Yet, i was paid just 5k monthly. .

In this kind of job, forget about the money part and focus on gaining more experience. . Then you can move to a bigger company

1 Like

Re: Advice An Unsatisfied Business Centre Worker by Egbagirl(f): 2:00pm On Oct 24, 2013
Nmeri17: I have heard you all and what i understand you're trying to say is two months is too short a period to ask for a pay rise but then, i know how much i put in my boss' pocket on a daily basis. Jus saying tho. Another thing is she harasses me before customers with reckless abandon and aside that being embarrasing it is demeaning

Now you are bringing up other issues such as harassment etc See my thing is this, it is not your company/business. There is a reason why you are not the one calling the shots because it is not your fucking business. I am sure you were aware of what your monthly salary was going to be prior to accepting the position so I do not know why you are complaining about a pay increase just after 2 months especially when you mentioned that you do not know how to do graphic designing. Also, did she promise to increase your pay after 2 months? If not then please do not complain because you knew what you were getting into before you accepted.

As per the harassment, is there any reason why she does this? Are you the only she does it to? These are questions you want to ask yourself. Is there someone you can talk to about it at work? If it is bearable, I would say endure till you have either proved your worth or you have gathered enough skills, experience and money and then look for something better.

At the end of the day, you know where the shoe pinches and we can only tell you so much. Although I would not advise you to leave, there are sometimes when you just need to let go of certain things. From what you have put forth, I would kick against it. You need to toughen up. It's a crazy world! It is not as easy as you think it is o. Whatever you do, always make sure you have a plan.

P.S: I think you need to change your outlook towards work. You will not always have a nice boss who cares about you, you might be underpaid for your services but whatever you do, be relentless and be diligent. It pays off in the end. Your attitude determines a lot.

2 Likes

Re: Advice An Unsatisfied Business Centre Worker by Fhemmmy: 2:02pm On Oct 24, 2013
Egba girl:

Now you are bringing up other issues such as harassment etc See my thing is this, it is not your company/business. There is a reason why you are not the one calling the shots because it is not your fucking business. I am sure you were aware of what your monthly salary was going to be prior to accepting the position so I do not know why you are complaining about a pay increase just after 2 months especially when you mentioned that you do not know how to do graphic designing. Also, did she promise to increase your pay after 2 months? If not then please do not complain because you knew what you were getting into before you accepted.

As per the harassment, is there any reason why she does this? Are you the only she does it to? These are questions you want to ask yourself. Is there someone you can talk to about it at work? If it is bearable, I would say endure till you have either proved your worth or you have gathered enough skills, experience and money and then look for something better.

At the end of the day, you know where the shoe pinches and we can only tell you so much. Although I would not advise you to leave, there are sometimes when you just need to let go of certain things. From what you have put forth, I would kick against it. You need to toughen up. It's a crazy world! It is not as easy as you think it is o. Whatever you do, always make sure you have a plan.

P.S: I think you need to change your outlook towards work. You will not always have a nice boss who cares about you, you might be underpaid for your services but whatever you do, be relentless and be diligent. It pays off in the end. Your attitude determines a lot.

Most bosses dont even give a damn about you, it is all about what you bring to the table and if what you bring to the table draws their attention to who you are, then, likeness comes in . . . .
Re: Advice An Unsatisfied Business Centre Worker by Egbagirl(f): 3:02pm On Oct 24, 2013
Fhemmmy:

Most bosses dont even give a damn about you, it is all about what you bring to the table and if what you bring to the table draws their attention to who you are, then, likeness comes in . . . .

Exactly. In rare occasions, you might be blessed with the ones that do care about you. But they must like you first to even be concerned about you personal life or anything. I have been fortunate to have the nice ones but I am aware that it's not always the case and it just might have that someday, I'll get a horrible boss but whatever it might be, I'll still do my best to excel. When they see your worth, they'll begin to respect you and take a personal interest in you. You need to show them first.

Although... some might still not care. lol In that case, well too bad. lol
Re: Advice An Unsatisfied Business Centre Worker by smartg(m): 6:30pm On Oct 24, 2013
Lilaex: Me 2 u. Look 4 another work.
chei!, why seun no put unlike botton on this forum, i for unlike you more than 10 times, lol.
You de tell somebody wey no get experience to look for another job instead of her to improve herself with the one she already have.
Re: Advice An Unsatisfied Business Centre Worker by KolaShangOne(m): 6:35pm On Oct 24, 2013
Come and work with me. We can build a business empire. You will pay yourself commission per profit at the end of the month (30k upwards). I will provide the funds, you will provide the business acumen. Contact me on koladeinthehouse@yahoo.com Put your name on this thread so I can fast track it.
Re: Advice An Unsatisfied Business Centre Worker by dheaven: 3:13am On Oct 25, 2013
KolaShangOne: Come and work with me. We can build a business empire. You will pay yourself commission per profit at the end of the month (30k upwards). I will provide the funds, you will provide the business acumen. Contact me on koladeinthehouse@yahoo.com Put your name on this thread so I can fast track it.
why dont you look for people in your area instead of online
Re: Advice An Unsatisfied Business Centre Worker by Nmeri17: 7:57pm On Nov 05, 2013
thanks all that advised me to stay. it really did pay off
Re: Advice An Unsatisfied Business Centre Worker by Egbagirl(f): 8:23pm On Nov 05, 2013
Nmeri17: thanks all that advised me to stay. it really did pay off

Great! Happy to hear that. More deets pls smiley smiley Want to know what's changed, why and how smiley
Re: Advice An Unsatisfied Business Centre Worker by Nmeri17: 8:56pm On Nov 05, 2013
Lol. I'll say I learnt a lot. I'm talking psychologically i.e how to deal wid my boss. attitude to the few haters I have. how to manage my little salary better. I just wish I did not have to go to college so soon
Re: Advice An Unsatisfied Business Centre Worker by Egbagirl(f): 9:24pm On Nov 05, 2013
Nmeri17: Lol. I'll say I learnt a lot. I'm talking psychologically i.e how to deal wid my boss. attitude to the few haters I have. how to manage my little salary better. I just wish I did not have to go to college so soon

Nice nice! That's wassup! C'est la vie! We live and learn. I'm happy for you though.

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

The Highs And Lows Of Being A Woman In Tech / Industrial And Production Engineering Career / Are Christmas Gifts To Employees Taxable?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.