Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,509 members, 7,808,863 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 06:12 PM

Satellite Pictures Of Nigeria Cities( Fraud Population) - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Satellite Pictures Of Nigeria Cities( Fraud Population) (11142 Views)

Boko Haram Surrender II, Shekau Whereabouts Unknown - Satellite Pictures! / Nigerian Sat X Satellite Pictures Are Perfect / Edo,delta, Yorubas Are The Poorest In Nigeria Satellite Pictures Shows.cheating (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Satellite Pictures Of Nigeria Cities( Fraud Population) by Liketoo: 8:41pm On Jun 09, 2006
satellite pictures of Nigeria cities( Fraud population)

Here is a link to satellite pictures of Nigeria cities that would shock you, If you compare this image with Nigeria population census of 1991 , you would realised that the census figure was a fraud.

http://www.nigeriaone.com/smf/index.php?PHPSESSID=d4c0512d56ded4733afa60050cac038b&topic=1397.0

It show the satellite picture of Abuja, lagos, Kano, ibadan, Kaduna, enugu, Jos, bauch, Yola, ilorin,Onitsha amd many more, enjoy it,
Re: Satellite Pictures Of Nigeria Cities( Fraud Population) by DaHitler(m): 8:52pm On Jun 09, 2006
Liketoo, excellent post. I have been saying for years now that the population that are shown in estimates and on census of Nigeria are false.

I have no idea what the current census in Nigeria is going to be like, but I assure you that if they report the accurate number there would not be more than 95 million people in country. Heck, thats even a liberal estimate. I would be surprised if Nigeria has more than 80 million people.

Also, you should take a look at the population of neighboring countries and then wonder how is it that a country that is located in the same region as these others is able to project numbers that is completely out of sync with the rest of West African and Central African countries.

I can buy a slight population increase of Nigeria (when compared to other African countries) due to its size, the two rivers that cut through the country, and concentration of major ethnic groups, but that still does not explain how it is that Nigeria, a country that is only 3 times the geographic size of Ghana, is able to produce a population more than 8 times as much (based on the UN estimates that has Nigeria at about 140 million).

My prediction is that the southern region of Nigeria is where the majority of the people are. However, the military government under the Northern dictators would not accept this reality, so they artificially inflated the number of the people in the North. As a result, Nigeria has been reporting false census results ever since the British helped the Northerners rig the 1958 (I think) census so that they could take control of Government.

Here is a link to a website that has the link to the on the record population of each of the States in Nigeria. http://www.nigeriacongress.org/FGN/admin.htm . According to the link Lagos State only has 5.8 million people (Estimates by those in the know have it at well over 10 million) and that places Lagos only 300 thousands people ahead of Kano that is reporting a fictitious 5.5 million people. What sucks more is that these false numbers are used to allocate federal oil money and representation in the National assembly. So, Lagos and many other southern States are being unfairly treated because our country is relying on false numbers.
Re: Satellite Pictures Of Nigeria Cities( Fraud Population) by Seun(m): 9:02pm On Jun 09, 2006
Did you even bother to visit the link provided in the first post?
Re: Satellite Pictures Of Nigeria Cities( Fraud Population) by DaHitler(m): 9:03pm On Jun 09, 2006
Seun, yes I did.

It shows the geographical size and shape of the major cities in Nigeria. What exactly is your point?

Cities are major centers of commerce and the most highly populated structures in society. So, if the city population is being artificially inflated or mis-reported, then that is a problem.
Re: Satellite Pictures Of Nigeria Cities( Fraud Population) by Seun(m): 9:06pm On Jun 09, 2006
Well I can't see anything like that on the link provided.
Re: Satellite Pictures Of Nigeria Cities( Fraud Population) by hotangel2(f): 9:07pm On Jun 09, 2006
The link is slow to open, and when it finaly opens. It has nothing to do with satellite pictures.
Re: Satellite Pictures Of Nigeria Cities( Fraud Population) by DaHitler(m): 9:10pm On Jun 09, 2006
The satellite pictures will take a while to load.

Seun, the author of this thread did not explain exactly what his point was. But, if you look at the thread title, you will see that it has to do with false reporting of population. Also, note, you can estimate the population of a city to a fairly accurate degree by observing satellite images of it. So, he was trying to get the message that the Northern cities are a lot smaller than the southern cities, but the northern States continue to claim numerical superiority.
Re: Satellite Pictures Of Nigeria Cities( Fraud Population) by Danmasani(m): 12:13am On Jun 10, 2006
Afeni?
Re: Satellite Pictures Of Nigeria Cities( Fraud Population) by DaHitler(m): 12:16am On Jun 10, 2006
Danmasani, whats the matter? Can't read?
Re: Satellite Pictures Of Nigeria Cities( Fraud Population) by mrmayor(m): 3:04am On Jun 10, 2006
Its really hard making out what the images are really showing as they not of the same SCALE,but at last I'm happy that there are people who don't buy the 150 million Nigerians crap. I've been telling my friends that Nigeria can't be more than 80 million people.I've always believed that what we have in Nigeria is ELECTORAL POPULATION.
Census figures was one of the root causes that led to civil war.
Politicians have used the census figures to steal money from public coffers by creating Ghost Works and White Elephant projects.My LGA has an official population of 210 thousand people and i know thats not true,I've also used goggle earth to confirm it.
Its only in Nigeria that Desert Grass Lands of the Sahara Desert is more populated than the Tropics.

Guys use the official population of your LGA to check if Nigeria is really 150 million people,Gassu the capital of Zamfafa state can't half a million people!
Re: Satellite Pictures Of Nigeria Cities( Fraud Population) by DaHitler(m): 3:46am On Jun 10, 2006
I counted the populations of all the States from this site http://www.nigeriacongress.org/FGN/admin.htm, and the country ended up with a population of a little over 80 million. I am not sure if the site got their numbers from the census conducted in the 80s, or if they are using an estimated population.
Re: Satellite Pictures Of Nigeria Cities( Fraud Population) by Jakumo(m): 6:43am On Jun 10, 2006
Afeni you have GOT to be joking when you claim that you can take a national census from satellite imagery.  How many YEARS of your life would it take to count just one million people even if they were individually visible in a satellite picture, which they most certainly are NOT ?   Satellites cannot see through buildings and roofs, so how do you propose to count all those indoors when the satellite passes over in its orbital path to take the snapshot ?

While it is common knowledge that US surveillance and intelligence-gathering satellites are capable of prodcing sufficiently high resolution to peer down from outer space and yield images from which analysts can read the lisence plate number on vehicles, that degree of resolution is NOT available to civilians, and in saying this I am very much aware of the recent free and commercial availability of satellite imagery from Google Earth.   

Neither the American CIA nor the NSA would ever claim the ability to quantify the population of urban areas from overhead imagery, and unless you have some supernatural power that you can explain here, the probablility of you pulling off that magic feat is and will always be absolutely ZERO, Oga Afeni.
Re: Satellite Pictures Of Nigeria Cities( Fraud Population) by DaHitler(m): 6:48am On Jun 10, 2006
Jakumo, I don't mean count people individually by satellite. That is impossible. I mean that you can take sample surveys of the number of people per square feet from 20 different location in a city, and using satellite imagery, get a fairly accurate calculation of the city.
Re: Satellite Pictures Of Nigeria Cities( Fraud Population) by Jakumo(m): 7:00am On Jun 10, 2006
To arrive at such an estimate one would have to make some really wild assumptions about the population density of people on the ground, which would be about as easy as looking into a nest filled with zillions of ants and then hazarding a guess about how many rapidly-moving toe-biters occupy a square inch. The margin of error in such a quixotic exercise would be so high as to render the very idea totally impractical in real terms, Afeni.
Re: Satellite Pictures Of Nigeria Cities( Fraud Population) by Drusilla(f): 8:33am On Jun 10, 2006
Jakumo,

Not exactly it is rather a simple mathematical formula. You don't attempt to count all the people in a satellite picture, you just count one simple inch or so and then you calculate how many inches there are in the picture and thus you can come to a really good estimate within a certain range.
Re: Satellite Pictures Of Nigeria Cities( Fraud Population) by food4tot: 9:40am On Jun 10, 2006
@ cannot see satellite pics.
Internet bandwidths are small in Nigeria, thats why. If you wait long enough, you will see the pics. Kano is not even 1/4 of Lagos.

I actually think the population of the whole country is close to reality. The northern stats are highly inflated but the south is even more so under reported. Its going to take a long time before the census results are published for fear of unrest.

But you also can't get much information from a zoomed out satellite picture, you see the metropolis but some suburbs simply become invisible. Do you know that from a satellite view, Lagos is slightly bigger than London. But Lagos has fewer high rise buildings. Also, the life style matters. I know of a family of 7 that lives in a single room in the ghetto.

. . . by the way, the population of London is about 7.5million, the tall buildings are usually not residential. A rich man might have 5 empty houses and a poor man might have none, how does that affect the satellite picture?

Also, in London there are massive shoping malls, stadia, parks which are obviously not residential. At night London looks 4 times bigger and brigher than Lagos (courtesy NEPA)
Re: Satellite Pictures Of Nigeria Cities( Fraud Population) by Jakumo(m): 9:46am On Jun 10, 2006
The mathematical formula may be simple, Drusilla, but the equation variable which cannot be accurately quantified in a third-world country like Nigeria is the population density, which varies greatly depending on whether the square inch of aerial imagery you sample is residential or commercially zoned, and also on how many persons live under each roof in those areas presumed to be zoned for residential use.

Those zoning distinctions may be clear-cut in New York, London or LA, but in Nigeria's most densely populated cities like Lagos, the demarcation lines between residential and commercial areas are fuzzy and mostly non-existent thanks to the haphazard and effectively unregulated construction history in urban areas all over Nigeria.  Even within many African cities' known residential areas, all bets are off regarding just how many individuals of a traditionally large extended family can be assumed to occupy each residence.

In the absence of any consistent and reliably acquirable figures on population density in Nigeria, any statistical extrapolation or interpolation of population totals would amount to little more than an academic exercise in number-crunching whose correlation with the country's true population would be tenuous at best.
Re: Satellite Pictures Of Nigeria Cities( Fraud Population) by Drusilla(f): 10:05am On Jun 10, 2006
Jakumo,

You make a good point. I agree.
Re: Satellite Pictures Of Nigeria Cities( Fraud Population) by Liketoo: 12:08pm On Jun 10, 2006
the point i am making is that the said kano having 44 local govt with less than lagos, is not fair, there are more towns and cities add to the picture, the picture are Satellite picture all drawn to scale, 5 Km from the earth , they now have owerri, aba, akure, maiguduri, markudi, osogbo pictures too.

http://www.nigeriaone.com/smf/index.php?PHPSESSID=d4c0512d56ded4733afa60050cac038b&topic=1397.0
Re: Satellite Pictures Of Nigeria Cities( Fraud Population) by Liketoo: 10:43am On Jun 11, 2006
Update, they just inlcude calabar, uyo, Gusau, kastina, Fuatua, minna, suleja, jalingo, Numan, Malamfashi, ife and others to the picture, Man i now believe that the south is more populated than the North, all this north sakara about been over populated should stop from today.
Re: Satellite Pictures Of Nigeria Cities( Fraud Population) by DaHitler(m): 10:48am On Jun 11, 2006
Hopefully, once they release the census (If they don't rigg it) it would show the south has a majority.

All these lies about Nigeria's population fills me with a lot of a hate for this damn country. If they don't fix it with the new census, I will stop at nothing to make sure this pathetic union is no more. In regardless of how many have to die.

I think if the southerners had not been such dummies, they would have fought not to be included in Nigeria pre-independence. This freaking union is corrupt and can never work.

And for anyone that would call me a trouble maker/liar, I will like to see any evidence that can be used as proof that the southern Nigerians are better off as being part of this abomination. Honestly, I can't think of how Nigeria can get any worse. At least if the was a civil war, the people would die quickly, instead of having to suffer thanks to the illiterates.
Re: Satellite Pictures Of Nigeria Cities( Fraud Population) by Seun(m): 4:36pm On Jun 11, 2006
If they don't fix it with the new census, I will stop at nothing to make sure this pathetic union is no more. In regardless of how many have to die.
You sound like a psychopath. Political power will definitely bring out the worst in you. People will die. Noted.
Re: Satellite Pictures Of Nigeria Cities( Fraud Population) by Ashiwaju(m): 12:35am On Jun 12, 2006
I am not really suprised at Afeni's Arguement, He is very good at shifting topics to suit his arguement! ***Nigeria Should Break UP***

Anyways, I dont really have to look at the satelite pictures b4 i comment. One thing is for sure, The satelite pictures would only give you the land survey and the estimated residence or number of people that suits or fits the size/Lanscape but in Nigeria it is a different case. the population figures is only an estimate and it could be more than 150million or less and definately not a satelite picture would tell us how many we are in Nigeria. Look closely at Idumota, you have over 12-15 people living in a one room apartment and look closely at the Ojo Area of Lagos you have the same thing. If the truth has to be told, lagos for example is way too small for the number of people in lagos and only Head to head count would give us a true estimate . The issue of it would be rigged or not is a different case and i tell you Mr. Afeni no one would die for a cause only you Believe In. We have had enough of people lighting fire only to run out or flee while the fire burns.
Re: Satellite Pictures Of Nigeria Cities( Fraud Population) by DaHitler(m): 12:40am On Jun 12, 2006
Ashiwaju, you know fully well OPC and other pan-ethnic group militias are very popular in the country. Those same people that are members and that support those groups will support and be willing to die for creation of a new western Nigerian States. That is, once they get exposed to my ideology. Just because cowards like yourself are contempt with living in rampant poverty does not mean others are.
Re: Satellite Pictures Of Nigeria Cities( Fraud Population) by Ashiwaju(m): 1:08am On Jun 12, 2006
Afeni:

Ashiwaju, you know fully well OPC and other pan-ethnic group militias are very popular in the country. Those same people that are members and that support those groups will support and be willing to die for creation of a new western Nigerian States. That is, once they get exposed to my ideology. Just because cowards like yourself are contempt with living in rampant poverty does not mean others are.

In what ways are you different from the OPCs and the Pan-ethic Militias? Would you care to join them or should i say have you ever witnessed these people in battle? They can and will never get exposed to your evil ideology because its inhuman. You fail to dialogue and you resort to violence in the name of dividing the country.

Just because cowards like yourself are contempt with living in rampant poverty does not mean others are.

Withdraw that part of the message gentle man, it you want this arguement to continue in peace
Re: Satellite Pictures Of Nigeria Cities( Fraud Population) by DaHitler(m): 1:16am On Jun 12, 2006
There obviously is no desire on the part of the ruling class to support dialogue. We know this because they refuse to hold a sovereign national conference.

And no, I am satisfied with my comments. So, you just have to learn to cope with my views of you and the fellow one Nigeria southerners.
Re: Satellite Pictures Of Nigeria Cities( Fraud Population) by Ashiwaju(m): 1:25am On Jun 12, 2006
they refused to hold a sovereign national conference? , I must have been outta the country
Re: Satellite Pictures Of Nigeria Cities( Fraud Population) by DaHitler(m): 5:42am On Jun 12, 2006
At first Obasonja supported the idea of holding a Sovereign National Conference, but once he got into power he said, "There is no need for one because that is what the National Assembly is there for."

That is the problem with Nigeria, the leaders are a lot more concerned with keeping Nigeria one, than they are with carrying out the will of the people.
Re: Satellite Pictures Of Nigeria Cities( Fraud Population) by Hero(m): 7:27am On Jun 12, 2006
Ok, I'm in the urban development/planning field, and I can assure you that satellite imagery is NOT, a very effective tool for recording population figures, when talking about highly under developed nations like Nigeria. For one Nigerian and most African cities period,  are well know for being Waaaaaay to small for their populations. Lagos for example should be at the very lest, twice it's current size.

And this the reason why, like some mentioned earlier, you have whole families of 10 and 12 folks living in apartments made for no more than a family of like 4. As you can see in the photos, many of the red outlined areas stretched to diameters greater than the whitish areas within them--- in which most here would mistake for the limits of the shown cities, though in actuality the cities' areas actually covered all of the land within the outlined area, possibly more--- and it's just that the forested or pastured areas within the outline areas are so appallingly underdeveloped that in a satellite shot like this, they show up as looking like regular ol forested areas; yet if one was to go into those area,  they would see thousands, upon thousands of folks living in tin shacks all along narrow dirt or narrow shottly paved roads, all sitting in the middle of an array of wildlife forestation.

All these photos show me, as an urban planner/developer--- is that Nigerian cities, and the nation at whole, are/is appallingly underdeveloped, and need Major investing in. Yes, Nigeria does truly have at least 150Mill people, and I wouldn't be surprised if it was quite a bit more than that.

The vast majority of Nigerians do not live within the urban areas, though they are continuously flooding into them, yet the cities' infrastructures aren't expanding fast enough to properly service these growing populations, and thus you get what you see in the satellite images, in where hundreds or tens of thousands, or even millions of people are living in cities in who's infrastructure has expanded very little in the past 20 years or more,  when they had only a 1/3 or less of the populations they do now.
Re: Satellite Pictures Of Nigeria Cities( Fraud Population) by food4tot: 9:45am On Jun 12, 2006
@hero's comment
. . . they show up as looking like regular ol forested areas; yet if one was to go into those area,  they would see thousands, upon thousands of folks living in tin shacks all along narrow dirt or narrow shottly paved roads, all sitting in the middle of an array of wildlife forestation. . .

Just being curious.

I have seen badly built houses but I have not seen tin shacks. Has anyone here actually seen people living in tin shacks? Dont tell me you have if you saw it on a foreign tv channel.
Re: Satellite Pictures Of Nigeria Cities( Fraud Population) by Mariory(m): 11:12am On Jun 12, 2006
Afeni:

For those new to the forums, please ignore this deluded infant. His fantasies have no bearing on reliaty.
Re: Satellite Pictures Of Nigeria Cities( Fraud Population) by Hero(m): 8:55pm On Jun 12, 2006
food4tot:

@hero's comment

Just being curious.

I have seen badly built houses but I have not seen tin shacks. Has anyone here actually seen people living in tin shacks? Dont tell me you have if you saw it on a foreign tv channel.

Yes, I've been to Nigeria on three separate occasions, and not only seen countless number of folks living in areas in which were wholly or nearly wholly made of tin shacks or tiny homes if you'd prefer me call them; but I'll admit to your point of that,  most of the lessor developed areas of the cities did consist of shotty apartment blocks laden within very under developed rural looking areas of the cities, like these pictured below.

Just beyond this forestation are Abuja buildings, and no--- this isn't a park, but just an undeveloped area right inside Abuja.

What Nigerian cities, especially Lagos, Ibadan, P. Harcourt, Benin City amongst others---- need is low income apartment highrise projects, like those found in most other major cities around the world. Since the nation is so relatively small in comparison to it's population size and rapid population growth,  the most wise thing for the city planners to do is encourage their cities to grow upward, instead of outward. Lagos, Ibadan and Port Harcourt should all look something like New York, London, Rio, Hong Kong, Mexico City, Shanghai or Tokyo by now, with a mass of 8, 10, 12, 16 and up----storied apartment buildings covering their landmass'. This holds most true for Lagos, in which is one of the worlds most populous Mega-Cities, with well over, at least, 15Mill people, crammed into an area the size of Brooklyn or Queens, NY., both of which have only about 2 Mill people each.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Gej Should Declare A State Of Emergency In Abia State (aba): / Buhari Ready To Step-Down For Better Candidate / The Origin Of Ogwashi-uku,anioma And The Rest Of Delta Igbo

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 82
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.