Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,554 members, 7,809,025 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 09:12 PM

How To Learn A New Skill In 20 Hours - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / How To Learn A New Skill In 20 Hours (16793 Views)

Please Advice On This New Skill. / Degrees Are No Longer Enough: It's Time To Learn A Skill! / The 37 Best Websites For Learning A New Skill (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

How To Learn A New Skill In 20 Hours by esere826: 10:04am On Oct 22, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5MgBikgcWnY

For busy professionals who have commitments and yet have a strong desire to learn new skills,
Josh Kaufman in his presentation at Ted suggests that you can learn any new skills in just 20 hours.

He argues that the famous 10,000 hours learning rules is required only for the top
percentile expertise level of skill development.

This is how Josh suggests we acheive the 20 hour learning rule:

1) Deconstruct the skill
-Most skills as we know them are actually a complex bundle of skills.
-Decide what exactly you want to do and then break it down further to get the exact skills you want

2) Learn enough to self correct
-for example get some 3 to 5 learning resources on what you're trying to acheive
-such resources give you alternative views that help you correct your mistakes

3) Remove barrier to practice
-For example take away the televisions e.t.c, and focus on the task at hand

4) Practice at least 20 hrs
-start practicing for at least 20 hours. you might get frustrated at first,
but after pushing past the frustration barrier, you'd be able to learn your new skill.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: How To Learn A New Skill In 20 Hours by esere826: 10:07am On Oct 22, 2013
Although I am yet to test this, especially the 20 hours timing however, i'd like to share a personal learning experience that seems to support Josh's theory

For a long time, i wanted to learn SSIS, i thus did a lot of research, video learning etc and was heading no where.
I soon decided to downoad SQL server with BIDS on my laptop. This had SSIS

I then chose to have a goal that is what i might come accross in the work environment
i.e inport data from sql sever to excel, and export data from multiple excel files to sql server

When i defined my learning in this way, it was much easier and faster to learn within a day
This was how I first learnt SSIS use in the work environment

2 Likes

Re: How To Learn A New Skill In 20 Hours by esere826: 10:16am On Oct 22, 2013
When i discovered that it was easier for me to learn new skills by imagining a specific useful office related task,
i used the same strategy in learning SAS, SharePoint, Visio, MS Project and Qlickview

This is what Josh refers to as Deconstructing the Skill

1 Like

Re: How To Learn A New Skill In 20 Hours by Odunharry(m): 3:10pm On Oct 23, 2013
mod front page pls

1 Like

Re: How To Learn A New Skill In 20 Hours by Nobody: 3:35pm On Oct 24, 2013
Hmmmm...interesting.
Re: How To Learn A New Skill In 20 Hours by otodeluxe(m): 3:36pm On Oct 24, 2013
Good tips! Atleast I've derived a couple of things from this
Re: How To Learn A New Skill In 20 Hours by checkdate(m): 3:37pm On Oct 24, 2013
POSTER WELL DONE. NICE POST. VERY USEFUL.

1 Like

Re: How To Learn A New Skill In 20 Hours by garripack: 3:39pm On Oct 24, 2013
i really need help cos i really love learning NEW skills but i find it very difficult to read for a long time

WHAT DO I DO IN DIS SITUATION OF MINE
Re: How To Learn A New Skill In 20 Hours by lifestyle1(m): 3:43pm On Oct 24, 2013
Interesting...

brb
Re: How To Learn A New Skill In 20 Hours by Freezeman: 3:45pm On Oct 24, 2013
Ok wonderful write up but hw do i learn to play a GUITAR in 20hours

2 Likes

Re: How To Learn A New Skill In 20 Hours by habex050: 3:49pm On Oct 24, 2013
going to try this out

and be expecting my feedback
Re: How To Learn A New Skill In 20 Hours by fola14: 3:49pm On Oct 24, 2013
garripack: i really need help cos i really love learning NEW skills but i find it very difficult to read for a long time

Use rule 3 (Remove the barrier) What is that thing that puts you off reading? Think of the knowledge/skill you would gain from reading.

@OP, this is a great post. I have also learnt a thing from it.

Thanks
Re: How To Learn A New Skill In 20 Hours by skyscraperTM(m): 3:49pm On Oct 24, 2013
Wonderful! grin
Re: How To Learn A New Skill In 20 Hours by donem: 3:54pm On Oct 24, 2013
Nice thread, so short and on point, thumbs up Op.
Re: How To Learn A New Skill In 20 Hours by Nobody: 3:57pm On Oct 24, 2013
For me, designed a timetable like am in school, got me some videos, pdf and each day i go to somewhere to listen to the videos according to my timetable. This is really pushing me to learn backtrack, andriod and joomla. See all you at the top

1 Like

Re: How To Learn A New Skill In 20 Hours by Nobody: 3:57pm On Oct 24, 2013
@Op; nice write-up and educative...thumbs up!!!
Re: How To Learn A New Skill In 20 Hours by stan4b(m): 4:02pm On Oct 24, 2013
I tink av gotten a new way to cram well b4 exam.

1 Like

Re: How To Learn A New Skill In 20 Hours by uken73(m): 4:04pm On Oct 24, 2013
Interesting. But I'm not sure if this can actually apply to all skills.
Re: How To Learn A New Skill In 20 Hours by Dreal1247: 4:06pm On Oct 24, 2013
garripack: i really need help cos i really love learning NEW skills but i find it very difficult to read for a long time

In addition to this difficulty in reading, i observe that i easily fall asleep while reading and this has been a great source of distraction for me. I equally observe that i can rarely concentrate in a lecture for more than one hour without falling asleep. I know this could derail this thread, but i will be grateful to see an end to these challenges from here. Thanks.
Re: How To Learn A New Skill In 20 Hours by alotofgrace(m): 4:07pm On Oct 24, 2013
if u really need it u will learn it in no time undecided
Re: How To Learn A New Skill In 20 Hours by aduhube: 4:08pm On Oct 24, 2013
Someone should tell me how I wil!l learn automechanic in 20 hours
Re: How To Learn A New Skill In 20 Hours by Nobody: 4:11pm On Oct 24, 2013
Awesome video. Thanks for sharing. smiley
Re: How To Learn A New Skill In 20 Hours by ev4real(m): 4:12pm On Oct 24, 2013
Great post op....
Re: How To Learn A New Skill In 20 Hours by Infomizer(m): 4:17pm On Oct 24, 2013
Freezeman: Ok wonderful write up but hw do i learn to play a GUITAR in 20hours
Lobatan!
Dogged determination-cum-passion is key sha! Can't guarantee the 20 hour timeframe tho'
Re: How To Learn A New Skill In 20 Hours by Lilimax(f): 4:21pm On Oct 24, 2013
aduhube: Someone should tell me how I wil!l learn automechanic in 20 hours
grin
Is it really possible undecided??
You must be a superhuman to achieve such feat smiley
Re: How To Learn A New Skill In 20 Hours by donPhill(m): 4:26pm On Oct 24, 2013
what is skill?

1 Like

Re: How To Learn A New Skill In 20 Hours by Chimeluv(f): 4:31pm On Oct 24, 2013
Dreal1247: .
In addition to this difficulty in reading, i observe that i easily fall asleep while reading and this has been a great source of distraction for me. I equally observe that i can rarely concentrate in a lecture for more than one hour without falling asleep. I know this could derail this thread, but i will be grateful to see an end to these challenges from here. Thanks.
Try writing short notes during lectures it wil keep you awake.
Re: How To Learn A New Skill In 20 Hours by bizfirst: 4:52pm On Oct 24, 2013
Great thinking actually...but it's oversimplified. Can you learn to fly an airplane in 20 hours from being a complete novice? I feel the guy has some products he's trying to market; for what he said may work with simple skills. But complex ones? Story!
Re: How To Learn A New Skill In 20 Hours by braivheart: 5:12pm On Oct 24, 2013
#bizfirst#:
Great thinking actually...but it's oversimplified. Can you learn to fly an airplane in 20 hours from being a complete novice? I feel the guy has some products he's trying to market; for what he said may work with simple skills. But complex ones? Story!

is being a pilot a skill or a profession, and will u learn to fly a plane from books n videos alone? What Will u practice with? Try n understand something before u make a comment.

3 Likes

Re: How To Learn A New Skill In 20 Hours by Fazhy: 5:12pm On Oct 24, 2013
He's absolutely right.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Are Nigerian 'Graduates' Really Graduates? / Biologists (Environmental, Micro, etc) : Let's Meet Here And Discuss / PGD Or MASTERS Without NYSC?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.