Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,906 members, 7,806,643 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 07:39 PM

How Do Schools Help Children With Attention Problems (ADD) - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / How Do Schools Help Children With Attention Problems (ADD) (9662 Views)

Helping Children With Learning Disabilities / Special Education For Children With Special Needs Is The Fair Way To Go. / I Am Passionate About Helping Your Children With Difficulties In Mathematics (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Do Schools Help Children With Attention Problems (ADD) by Lynn48(f): 6:02pm On Oct 22, 2013
My son has been on medication for almost 3 years which helps him to focus in school. I was wondering what kind of assistance I would receive from teachers and doctors when my family moves to Nigeria? What is the general attitude toward learning disabilities and any laws to accommodate and help children in school?
Re: How Do Schools Help Children With Attention Problems (ADD) by Nobody: 1:17pm On Oct 23, 2013
this might be a problem. i will advise you leave him under foster care with any of youe relations in the states.
we have not gotten to that level here. only the enlightened have some form of awareness about it and it stops at that.

2 Likes

Re: How Do Schools Help Children With Attention Problems (ADD) by Lynn48(f): 5:56pm On Oct 23, 2013
careytommy: this might be a problem. i will advise you leave him under foster care with any of youe relations in the states.
we have not gotten to that level here. only the enlightened have some form of awareness about it and it stops at that.

Thank you for comments. I appreciate your honesty.
Re: How Do Schools Help Children With Attention Problems (ADD) by Nobody: 1:56pm On Oct 26, 2013
Lynn48: My son has been on medication for almost 3 years which helps him to focus in school. I was wondering what kind of assistance I would receive from teachers and doctors when my family moves to Nigeria? What is the general attitude toward learning disabilities and any laws to accommodate and help children in school?
SIMPLE THEY JUST FLOG THEM

6 Likes

Re: How Do Schools Help Children With Attention Problems (ADD) by Ifedechidex: 1:58pm On Oct 26, 2013
Am i d third 2 comment?.. Ok, I am, we're getting dere @ op, it depends on d school u're taking ur son to.... If u take him 2 skls in places live VI, Vgc, and their likes n explain to d school authorities, i'm sure they'll help ur son..
Re: How Do Schools Help Children With Attention Problems (ADD) by kingilemona298(m): 1:59pm On Oct 26, 2013
Just stay there!!

2 Likes

Re: How Do Schools Help Children With Attention Problems (ADD) by funtanherb(m): 2:05pm On Oct 26, 2013
stay there
Re: How Do Schools Help Children With Attention Problems (ADD) by slimthugchimee(m): 2:06pm On Oct 26, 2013
By scolding and flogin them grin front page things
Re: How Do Schools Help Children With Attention Problems (ADD) by omniwater007: 2:07pm On Oct 26, 2013
If swimming is a good exercise to
stay FIT, why are
whales FAT??
Why is the place in a stadium
where people SIT,
called a STAND?
Why is that everyone wants to go
to HEAVEN but
nobody wants to DIE?
Shall I say that there is racial
discrimination even in
chess as the WHITE piece is moved
FIRST?
In our country, we have FREEDOM
of SPEECH, then
why do we have TELEPHONE
BILLS?
If money doesn't grow on TREES
then why do banks
have BRANCHES?
Why doesn't GLUE stick to its
BOTTLE?
Why do you still call it a BUILDING
when its already
BUILT?
If its true that we are here to HELP
others, what
are others HERE for?
If you arent supposed to DRINK
and DRIVE why do
bars have PARKING lots?
If All The Nations In The World Are
In Debt, Where
Did All The Money Go..?
When Dog Food Is New With
Improved Taste, Who
Tests It..?
If The "Black Box" Flight Recorder
Is Never
Damaged During A Plane Crash,
Why Isn't The Whole
Airplane Made Out Of That Stuff..?
Who Copy wrote The Copyright
Symbol..?
Can You Cry Under Water..?
Why do Round Pizza come in a
Square Box..?
Why Do People Say "You've Been
Working Like A Dog"
When Dogs Just Sit Around All
Day..??
We all are Living in a seriously
funny world..!!!

20 Likes

Re: How Do Schools Help Children With Attention Problems (ADD) by Caracta(f): 2:09pm On Oct 26, 2013
Lynn48: My son has been on medication for almost 3 years which helps him to focus in school. I was wondering what kind of assistance I would receive from teachers and doctors when my family moves to Nigeria? What is the general attitude toward learning disabilities and any laws to accommodate and help children in school?

This is not a problem. I don't know where you plan to relocate to but i'm very positive that there are some schools in Lagos that cater for such needs even beyond your expectation. Don't listen to people trying to discourage you. Must of them don't know anything about schools or what they offer. They are always ready to paint Nigeria black.

I have worked in a school for children with special needs and learning disabilities. These schools are quite expensive though. Every child can learn but you need to understand the child's learning style.There is no dumb child...and every child is different.

5 Likes

Re: How Do Schools Help Children With Attention Problems (ADD) by Nobody: 2:14pm On Oct 26, 2013
I wouldn't want to say, we'v not gotten to that level....

I'd like to see it like this, Nigerian schools, teachers and Nigerian style of parenting have get their own way to deal with ADD, in the end,
The kid turns out right, I mean, that's what matters right?

If you have to move, I think its best your kid comes with you........ The first best thing an ADD kid needs is his/her parents' full attention....

2 Likes

Re: How Do Schools Help Children With Attention Problems (ADD) by prof800(m): 2:15pm On Oct 26, 2013
How old is your son?
This is not a problem because your child will overcome the condition with age...
ADD is not considered to be a learning disability.
It can be determined to be a disability under the Individuals with Disabilities Education Act (IDEA), making a student eligible to receive special education services.
I call them 'special students' and I have one under my tutelage right now.
You know there are fast learners, slow learners and special students.
My advice is you get him a special tutor who will have no other obligation besides your son. Take him to a good school. And pray for him. No flogging please.
Goodluck.

3 Likes

Re: How Do Schools Help Children With Attention Problems (ADD) by CaptJHMiller: 2:15pm On Oct 26, 2013
Which attention are we talking about here now??

Because I no trust seun bots.. wink grin

Just kidding..

On a more serious note.. I don't think public and general schools render any sort of special assistance to diable kids, I think a school for disable and kids that need special assitance is what you should research on. Sorry about your kid, is it autism?
Re: How Do Schools Help Children With Attention Problems (ADD) by stan4b(m): 2:24pm On Oct 26, 2013
B ready for a private school den,else,if u put him in a public school,dey will flog him to his right senses.

1 Like

Re: How Do Schools Help Children With Attention Problems (ADD) by Caracta(f): 2:37pm On Oct 26, 2013
careytommy: this might be a problem. i will advise you leave him under foster care with any of youe relations in the states.

Pls i beg you in the name of everything you hold dear, stop giving false information. We are talking about ADD here. Come on...

5 Likes

Re: How Do Schools Help Children With Attention Problems (ADD) by Jobos(m): 2:44pm On Oct 26, 2013
Capt. JH Miller:
Which attention are we talking about here now??

Because I no trust seun bots.. wink grin

Just kidding..

On a more serious note.. I don't think public and general schools render any sort of special assistance to diable kids, I think a school for disable and kids that need special assitance is what you should research on. Sorry about your kid, is it autism?

There are different schools for special children in Nigeria own by federal or states. Just match your defiency with those schools.
Re: How Do Schools Help Children With Attention Problems (ADD) by Nobody: 2:44pm On Oct 26, 2013
It depends on the type of school your child will be going to.

1. It must be a private school.
2. You should make the teacher understand his condition, but let them know that you don't want him pampered.
3. Considering that your kids are bi-racial; Your main concern should be how to protect him from bullying (I was a victim) and unnecessary attention.

As with the teacher taking proper care of him, a little tip produce great wonder in this part of the world.

1 Like

Re: How Do Schools Help Children With Attention Problems (ADD) by omoseun(f): 3:06pm On Oct 26, 2013
@OP, it depends on the school and the location the school is. But I know there are very good schools in Nigeria (although very expensive) that can teach you child even with is learning disability, as long as you explain to them first hand.

Equally don't be sceard of asking questions in your search for good school (because not all expensive schools are up to the task, so don't be fool with names or popularity).

I wish you all the best.
Re: How Do Schools Help Children With Attention Problems (ADD) by toprealman: 3:32pm On Oct 26, 2013
Your son is normal, oyibo man and his numerous ailments. Had worse issue as a kid. Grew up in Nigeria, was adequately punished and now I can only say thank you to all that did not spare the rod. Your son will be Ok.

1 Like

Re: How Do Schools Help Children With Attention Problems (ADD) by nep2ra(m): 3:39pm On Oct 26, 2013
It's called ADHD (Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder)
Re: How Do Schools Help Children With Attention Problems (ADD) by Oluabayomi1(m): 3:45pm On Oct 26, 2013
You ll surely get one madam but d only difference is d pay coz u might be charged higher compare to what is obtainable over there
Re: How Do Schools Help Children With Attention Problems (ADD) by Nobody: 3:53pm On Oct 26, 2013
Jobos:

There are different schools for special children in Nigeria own by federal or states. Just match your defiency with those schools.
Also, there are many good private schools in Nigeria, especially in Lagos for kids with learning disabilities. You only need to get their directories.. Met a huge number of them at the annual GTB autism week. Best wishes..
Re: How Do Schools Help Children With Attention Problems (ADD) by EreluY(f): 3:59pm On Oct 26, 2013
Nigerian Schools have no policy or scheme in place for special needs children in its system. For the sake of your child and his/her future, do all that is in your powers to REMAIN where you are or relocate to another developed country. Please do not relocate to Nigeria. If, however, you care less about her/his future and, therefore, willing to jeopardise his future chances in life, then feel free return to Nigeria. Good luck.
Re: How Do Schools Help Children With Attention Problems (ADD) by Nobody: 4:02pm On Oct 26, 2013
Erelu_Y: Nigerian Schools have no policy or scheme in place for special needs children in its system. For the sake of your child and his/her future, do all that is in your powers to REMAIN where you are or relocate to another developed country. Please do not relocate to Nigeria. If, however, you care less about her/his future and, therefore, willing to jeopardise his future chances in life, then feel free return to Nigeria. Good luck.

I'm sorry, this is so wrong information. Except you are referring to Public Schools, here..
Re: How Do Schools Help Children With Attention Problems (ADD) by nenergy(m): 4:21pm On Oct 26, 2013
Drugs? To help a child concentrate?

KOBOKO is the way forward. grin But seriously, school should learn to teach things interestingly-engaging the child. Making a child cramm the multiplication table is not funny.

@OP read this.
The Ramblings of a Medic: KOBOKO VS MEDICINAL DRUGS IN ATTENTION DEFICIT HYPERACTIVITY DISORDER.
http://medicramblings..com/2013/05/koboko-vs-medicinal-drugs-in-attention.html?m=1

Re: How Do Schools Help Children With Attention Problems (ADD) by Caracta(f): 4:40pm On Oct 26, 2013
Erelu_Y: Nigerian Schools have no policy or scheme in place for special needs children in its system. For the sake of your child and his/her future, do all that is in your powers to REMAIN where you are or relocate to another developed country. Please do not relocate to Nigeria. If, however, you care less about her/his future and, therefore, willing to jeopardise his future chances in life, then feel free return to Nigeria. Good luck.

Your location says London. What do you even know about our educational system? Even autistic children are doing well here. Some of you just sit in front of your keyboards and type rubbish.

3 Likes

Re: How Do Schools Help Children With Attention Problems (ADD) by Nobody: 4:53pm On Oct 26, 2013
poster, its normal when i was a kid, i was a slow learner, i could remember my dad making jest of me as a block head, i received the harshest kind of punishment o yes series of flogging but during my late secondary school era, my condition started to change, i passed my waec on the first trail and was admitted into uni the same year, today i can boldly tell you am a fast learner .
Re: How Do Schools Help Children With Attention Problems (ADD) by EreluY(f): 5:00pm On Oct 26, 2013
OlowoTee:

I'm sorry, this is so wrong information. Except you are referring to Public Schools, here..

Yes OlowoTee, I am referring to public schools.
Re: How Do Schools Help Children With Attention Problems (ADD) by flexyonline: 5:03pm On Oct 26, 2013
Take your child to a school called "The learning place" in Lekki phase one. They will help your child fully. Talking from experience.

1 Like

Re: How Do Schools Help Children With Attention Problems (ADD) by zetel95(m): 5:03pm On Oct 26, 2013
Theres a school for physical challenge children at AKOKA, Lagos, Nigeria.
Akoka is along Unilag Road, Lagos, Nigeria.
Re: How Do Schools Help Children With Attention Problems (ADD) by gabbytabby: 5:18pm On Oct 26, 2013
It depends on the extent of his disability. Check under ITC-ABA (International Training Centre for Applied Behavioral Analysis) and get in touch with their programme director whose number is +2348026080864 she runs a school and spent a good part of time in the US running similar programme. The school is in Ajah.

Good luck.

http://www.bellanaija.com/2013/04/24/nothing-could-have-prepared-us-for-autism-a-nigerian-mum-shares-the-story-of-life-with-an-autistic-child/

Do some research online I found this piece which I think has some useful information.

2 Likes

Re: How Do Schools Help Children With Attention Problems (ADD) by Nobody: 5:18pm On Oct 26, 2013
zetel95:
Theres a school for physical challenge children at AKOKA, Lagos, Nigeria.
Akoka is along Unilag Road, Lagos, Nigeria.
That's Modupe Cole Memorial...?

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Please How Do One Multiply 3x3 And 3x4 Matrices? / Waec Obj Solution: / 2015/2016 ANSU Admission On Official JAMB Cut Off Mark And Departmental Marks

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.