Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,889 members, 7,806,578 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 06:31 PM

Young Nigerian Builds Ship, Airplane - Science/Technology - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Young Nigerian Builds Ship, Airplane (1583 Views)

5-year-old Boy Builds His Dream Bicycle (photos) / Nigerian Builds Dredging Machine Out Of Scrap Metals And Car Spare Parts / Nigerian Builds Unusual Jet Car (VIDEO) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Young Nigerian Builds Ship, Airplane by manchy7531: 12:54am On Oct 24, 2013
But he needs help to go to school
By TESSY IGOMULooks can be deceptive, so goes the saying. In the case of 27-year-old Hillary Promise Chigozie, this seems exceptionally true. His petite frame and unassuming demeanour can easily make one dismiss him with a wave of the hand as having nothing to offer. But underneath that mien is a young man packed full with innovation and creativity.

He is an inventor – and a talented one at that. At the snap of a finger, Promise can construct anything and make it operational. He has constructed a remote controlled ship, an aeroplane and several types of automobile using locally sourced materials. Through ingenuity and hindsight, he has produced bio-fuel, which according to him, could be an asset to any petrochemical company.

However, this young man who hails from Nbaitoli Local Government Area of Imo State is sad and angry. This is because his dream of becoming an aeronautic engineer is gradually becoming a mirage.

For him, this is a dream that must be actualized because from age 5, he has nursed, lived and breathed it.

According to him, his first try at what he terms ‘naive engineering construction’ was done with pear fruits which he used to build an aircraft. Later, he graduated into using wood, Tura and Maclean tubes to construct all types of aeroplane and cars. At 13, he used zinc to construct an aeroplane that used kerosene as combustion to fly.

To achieve this feat, he regaled the reporter with a compelling story of how he caught a bird and studied how it flew and landed for two months.

Having tried his hand on various constructions and achieving results, Promise felt it was time to actualise his dream by studying to become a professional. This made him apply to study “Airframe and Power Plant in Aircraft Maintenance Engineering (AME) in Nigeria College of Aviation Technology, Zaria.

Having written the entrance examination, which he described as tense, alongside candidates from other African countries, Promise passed and was offered a provisional admission, with classes to commence on June 7, 2013. But with the cost of the programme, including accommodation and feeding totalling two million five hundred and six naira (N2, 506, 000), Promise is distraught that his dream might just die a natural death, as his parents are financially incapable to support him.

“The admission came to me and my family as a miracle and above all, it was a dream come true. My community was thrown into a joyous celebration at witnessing the rise of an aeronautic engineer and pilot. I had started seeing myself completing my training and working in my fatherland as well as using my career to touch lives. But it’s like this might not be possible,” he said.

As the first child in a family of seven and born to a father who can barely feed the family with the paltry sum he makes as a taxi driver, Promise realised that help can only come from well meaning individuals. This then, made him to turn to friends, family and community leaders for help. Though, he admitted getting favourable response from some kind-hearted individuals, he noted that their efforts could hardly do much.

“All my personal efforts did not yield anything. There was little they could do. One man in particular, Chikola Albright Okpara, gave me N17, 000 to buy the form for the aviation school. Another man that supported my dream and has done so much is one Mr. Daniel Nnaemeka Nnodim. But there is a limit to what they can really do. The money involved was just too much,” he said.

In dire need of help and with the July 7, 2013, deadline for his admission drawing near, Promise, out of desperation, wrote a letter to the governor of his state, Owelle Rochas Okorocha through the Commissioner of Education, appealing for scholarship.

The letter dated, July 2, 2013, was captioned: “Hillary Promise Chigozie and Imo State on the March to Greatness: An Urgent Appeal for Scholarship.” Along with the letter were attached pictures of different aircrafts he had designed, admission letter containing the required school fees and local government identification letter.

Promise noted that the admission elapsed and there was not even an acknowledgement of the letter from the state government. Based on his inability to raise the stipulated fees, he immediately wrote the school, intimating them of his challenges and his admission was deferred to September 9, 2013. Based on this, he was prompted to write two more appeal letters dated July 10, 2013, to the Imo State governor through the Chief of Staff while the other was addressed through the Senior Technical Assistant to the Imo State Governor.

Distraught at the silence that greeted his letters, Promise again reverted to the school for help, telling them of his challenges. This made the school to write a letter to the Imo State government, recommending the young man for sponsorship.

“Travelling to Kaduna to get the letter was not easy because I couldn’t get money for transportation. But two well meaning Nigerians that believed in me, one Dr. Paul Dike and Chikola Okpara funded my trip.”

He recalled that through the help of one Bishop Titus Akanebu, he was able to give the letter to a traditional ruler in his state, Eze of Imo, HRM Eze Samuel Ohiri, who in turn helped him to deliver the letter to the Imo State government.

The letter which was made available to Daily Sun, was dated July 16, 2013, with reference number: NCAT/R/ACAD/TRG/STD/VOL.1/AP-28 and was signed by one Imoh Effiong Ekeh, the academic secretary.

The letter, entitled Letter of Recommendation for Sponsorship in Respect of Promise Chigozie Hillary’ partly reads: “This is to certify that the above named has been offered a provisional admission to study Airframe and Power Plant N0.28 (AP-28) in Aircraft Maintenance Engineering (AME) School of the college. The duration of the course is 120 weeks, and classes will commence from 9th of September, 2013.

“The cost of the programme is N2, 506, 000 (two million five hundred and six thousand naira) only including tuition, feeding and accommodation. Please, you are to pay into the College account: Nigeria College of Aviation Technology, Zaria. Ecobank Plc Account No. 3442033538.”

The letter ended by noting: “Imo State is considered to be one of the aviation friendly states in Nigeria and this student is an indigene. We are therefore confident that you will avail the state of this opportunity by training skilled manpower by sponsoring this student. I am, however, to appeal that action be expedited for payment of this course fees in good time in order to retain his place.”

Despite the recommendation letter, Promise said there was no form of response from the Imo State government and the resumption time for the school elapsed.

Promise noted that as a last resort, he submitted his credentials, letter of appeal for sponsorship, admission letter, as well as the pictures of the various aircrafts he designed to virtually all the airlines in the country, but none has responded.

Presently, the downcast young man is appealing for help from kindhearted Nigerians, the state or federal government to achieve his dream and use his creativity to attract fame, as well as accolades to the nation.

His words: “With the little I have, I have built a robot that can move but can’t speak. If I am able to achieve my dream, through the grace of God, I will bring pride to this nation. We have many talents that are wasting and mine should not be allowed to die like that. The same way people in the western world come out with innovation is not alien to us here. I tell you, with the right sponsorship, Nigerians can come out with better breakthroughs the world can ever imagine.

For this budding talent who maintained that crime can never be a means to an end, his resolve is to make a living through legitimate means. And from him comes this heartfelt appeal, “Nigerians should help make my dream a reality. Please give me a chance to become useful in life.”

Re: Young Nigerian Builds Ship, Airplane by IGBOSON1: 1:24am On Oct 24, 2013
All the appeals he made to Imo state gov't, yet they ignored him. If it's a letter/email concerning awarding of contracts, you'd see how fast they would act on it! Their delays have now cost the young man a place at the aviation school he passed the exam to attend.

With all the money Rochas wastes on foreign trips, birthday parties, shindigs in Ibadan and the like, you'd have thought they could find 2.5 million naira to help sponsor this poor guys ambition! If he becomes frustrated now and does something silly, he'd be condemned as a criminal not minding what he's been through to try and make something of his life.

It's at times like this i wish i had idle millions in the bank.....i would have helped him in a heart beat!

2 Likes

Re: Young Nigerian Builds Ship, Airplane by Nobody: 1:29am On Oct 24, 2013
poor things!
Re: Young Nigerian Builds Ship, Airplane by Brimmie(m): 1:32am On Oct 24, 2013
Errrrrrr
Re: Young Nigerian Builds Ship, Airplane by Nobody: 1:35am On Oct 24, 2013
Enugu airport about to get busy with this boy's planes. On a lighter note, stella Oduah should assist the boy with a token of the billions she has accumulated so far.
Re: Young Nigerian Builds Ship, Airplane by talktimi(m): 2:50am On Oct 24, 2013
Prof Corruption: poor things!

Rich object
Re: Young Nigerian Builds Ship, Airplane by dridowu: 7:31am On Oct 24, 2013
IGBO-SON:
All the appeals he made to Imo state gov't, yet they ignored him. If it's a letter/email concerning awarding of contracts, you'd see how fast they would act on it! Their delays have now cost the young man a place at the aviation school he passed the exam to attend.

With all the money Rochas wastes on foreign trips, birthday parties, shindigs in Ibadan and the like, you'd have thought they could find 2.5 million naira to help sponsor this poor guys ambition! If he becomes frustrated now and does something silly, he'd be condemned as a criminal not minding what he's been through to try and make something of his life.

It's at times like this i wish i had idle millions in the bank.....i would have helped him in a heart beat!
so far so good u are correct but tell how many govt (FG,SG AND LG) have helped pple nurtured their talent in Nigeria , none i guess, d best advice from me to d guy he shd shd just look elsewhere probably to private firm or if possible he shd just fly away from ds con3 to a better land to acheive its optimal best.
Re: Young Nigerian Builds Ship, Airplane by talktimi(m): 8:36am On Oct 24, 2013
dridowu: so far so good u are correct but tell how many govt (FG,SG AND LG) have helped pple nurtured their talent in Nigeria , none i guess, d best advice from me to d guy he shd shd just look elsewhere probably to private firm or if possible he shd just fly away from ds con3 to a better land to acheive its optimal best.
you expect someone who had to rag transport fare to Kaduna to fly out of the country ? We need help in this country, our problems are not just with the govt but actually/mostly with we the masses both in the public and private sectors. His church for example could have easily organised a fund raiser for him, paying the initial fees would have enabled him to seek for scholarships or bursary with his admission letter. Its really sad
Re: Young Nigerian Builds Ship, Airplane by emmalexabl(m): 8:58am On Oct 24, 2013
~Bluetooth:

Enugu airport about to get busy with this boy's planes. On a lighter note, stella Oduah should assist the boy with a token of the billions she has accumulated so far.

A word of advice dear..,its true NLand is a faceless forum but please try not to say/type everything you think.
It sometimes make u sound foolish and uncultured(just like the one above).....thanks.
Now back to topic.,please don't give up bro.
we 've heard you and i assure you that ur saviour is on the way.

1 Like

Re: Young Nigerian Builds Ship, Airplane by Tintinix: 9:07am On Oct 24, 2013
another huge disappointment Rochas has turned out to be.
i can remember all the paid programmes of him sponsoring and building schools for less privileged kids all over the country prior to him being a governor.

Nowhere in the world except for Nigeria will an obviously budding talent like this be kept to rot and waste.... even evil vilians sef should have snapped this guy up... but in Naija it is money of the day we specialize in, nothing technical or professional! and we wonder why we are still a consumer nation.
where are all those fund raising people on NL joor, this is a noble cause!
Re: Young Nigerian Builds Ship, Airplane by Nobody: 10:11am On Oct 24, 2013
Rochas is busy bedding every actress and rewarding them with sexy appointments.
Re: Young Nigerian Builds Ship, Airplane by pilotseq: 12:02pm On Oct 24, 2013
hmmm!!!!!! sad my broda no be only you oooh!!! I sat for the pilot training at Aviation College Ilorin, out of sixty smthin of us, I passed. I think I was the only one that passed from South East at that time. The school wrote a recommendation letter to Rochas and Senator Hope. up till now they did not acknowledge my letter. what they did to me was the more you look the less you see. I travelled like say 2moro no dey. you can imagine shuttling from Abj, Imo and Ilorin almost every week. at a point Oga Senator accepted to sponsor me, but at the long run he ditched me undecided. my bros honestly it wasn't easy for me. all you have to do is to keep the hope alive, stay focused and don't give up on your dreams. I still want to be a pilot and I know by the special Grace of God say one day na you go the fix the aircraft weh I go fly one day. cheesy . Team #keepdreamalive#
Re: Young Nigerian Builds Ship, Airplane by pilotseq: 12:19pm On Oct 24, 2013
I 4got to also tell you that my recommendation letter was personally signed by the current DG of NCAA. Capt Fola embarassed

(1) (Reply)

How To Get Airtel 1G For N100 And Glo 1G For 200 / The Earth Is A New Born 10,000 Year Old Baby! / Are They Registered Industries In Anambra State?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.