Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,492 members, 7,808,821 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 05:26 PM

Ndigbo And Her 'integrated' Eri/nri Brother - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Ndigbo And Her 'integrated' Eri/nri Brother (12261 Views)

7 Important Facts To Know About Eze Nri Of The Igbos. / Ndigbo Originated From Egypt, Jacob’s Son Is The Father Of Nri – Monarch / The Enchantment Of Igwulube Okodu,umuoji. The Humble Home Of Nri Priest! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Ndigbo And Her 'integrated' Eri/nri Brother by Abagworo(m): 10:36am On Oct 24, 2013
Umuibe,

A lie repeated severally could soon become a fact.

For me, one of the enduring outcomes of the inaugural IDU USA annual convention held in Langhorne, PA in October 2009 was the book given to me by Igwe Martin N. Ezeh (Idu II of Igboukwu) titled “The Igbo and Their Nri Neighbors” which is authored by Prof. Nwankwo T. Nwaezeigwe. The professor of history at the UNN, through his landmark research, was able to debunk the heap of lies deliberately orchestrated by some interest groups about Ndiigbo and our historical past.

The thrust of his research work was putting the Nri clan in proper perspective within the context of Igbo history. Based on historical records which he obtained from the Portuguese archives, he was able to pinpoint the exact decade that Eri, the progenitor of the Nri clan, arrived Aguleri after fleeing his home in Igala in today’s Kogi state. Eri was one of the princes of the Onoja dynasty which was ruling the Igala Kingdom at the time. As the professor of history discovered through his research work, a Portuguese traveler visiting Benin City documented that the Oba of Benin commissioned one of the ruling Bini princes, Atta, to sack the Onoja ruling house and to subdue the Igala kingdom in the 1st decade of 16th Century. That successful military expedition established the Atta dynasty that still holds sway in Igala kingdom till date. Eri, being one of the princes of the routed Onoja dynasty, fled south along the River Niger to escape capture and resettled amongst indigenous inhabitants of Aguleri.

Prof. Nwaezeigwe was not done yet. He methodically researched and documented the eventual southward and eastward migration of Eri descendants, Umu Eri (Umu Nri), into the Igbo heartland long after the death of their founding father. The author actually opted to temporarily live amongst his research target in places like Akamkpisi, Agu-Ukwu, Enugwu-ukwu etc and used the opportunity to interview many people who regard themselves as part of the Umu Nri clan. He was able to reconstruct the sequence of arrivals and settlements in many Umu Nri communities, including Oraeri which was one of the last outposts to be settled.
by Dr. Okenwa R. Nwosu

Most Igbo have never asked why another name for Nri town is Agukwu. The name originates from the fact that as visitors, the Nri people perform cleansing rites "ikpu alu" around Igboland. Because this is not a job for the freeborn "nwa afo", they were given a land to live in evil forest "agu ukwu" across the river seperating Agulu and Enugwu Ukwu (and jointly owned by both towns) to carry out their cleasing and sacrificial duties. This explains why of all towns in Anambra, Nri/Agukwu occupies one of the the smallest parcel of land in the whole of Anambra state.

The actual myth of Nri as the progenitor of the Igbo was given wings by Professor Onwuejeogwu's published anthropological doctoral research work on the Nri. One question that the proponents of Nri hegemony in Igboland have not asked is why the University of Ibadan refused to award Onwuejeogwu his Ph.D. based on that research; he was rather awarded a Masters degree after the extensive research that is today playing a part in the attempt to rewrite Igbo history. This is one misinformation to be exposed as fervently as anyone can before Nri is allowed to share the high table in Igbo cultural history.

People who are in doubt should consult Prof. A. E. Afigbo who is an expert in History of Inter Group Relations in Nigeria. His lecture will synchronize with what Mazi Okenwa mentioned on Igala origin of Nri people and the Onoja-Oboni ancestral origin.
By Emma Ozili
Mydesmond A at 22:57

http://orientalreporters..co.uk/2013/06/indigbo-and-her-integrated-errnri.html?m=1

3 Likes

Re: Ndigbo And Her 'integrated' Eri/nri Brother by Nobody: 12:22pm On Oct 24, 2013
Abagworo:

as visitors, the Nri people perform cleansing rites "ikpu alu" around Igboland. Because this is not a job for the freeborn "nwa afo"

Abagworo,

I didn't want to include this bit in my thread because I didn't want to step on Nri-centric toes, and because I felt it was largely external to what I was talking; but this is what our traditions, recorded by Amanke Okafor, says about Eri and Nri ifiukwuanim. It closely agrees with the passage u've got up there:

"According to the tradition of the Nri themselves, a man of Igala stock from Idah called Eri, son of Achado, a native doctor and hunter, came down the Omambala River in search of the River at a place later called Aguleri (Aguleri Igbo), and begat a number of children, to whom he passed on the secrets of his arts. His eldest son, who succeeded to the paraphernalia of his trade, was called Nriifikwuanim. This first son moved farther into Igbo land and settled among the Ugbene people, who showed him a portion of their farmland called “Agu Ukwu” to live and farm upon.

Nriifikwuanim prospered and became known not only for his powers to cure diseases, but also for his readiness to assume the risk of cleansing people of abominations. He was able to do this because abominations were sins against the Earth goddess – Aja Ana, and being a non-Igbo person he was not subject to the power of any Aja Ana in Igboland. What was “Alu” ―abomination to the Igbo was not Alu to him, and what was “Nso” (forbidden conduct) did not concern him. He came from a different clime. He could, therefore, perform ceremonies to cleanse people of abominations attaching to them, and so make them acceptable to their communities once more. He took things – clothes, property – for his own use which the Igbos regarded as unclean or prohibited from the Igbo gods. He got rich thereby. From removing the stains of abomination from people, Nriifikwuanim developed the technique of sanctifying things in general, by rituals which he devised; for example, driving away evil spirits from or around people (exorcism). When he became famous, he decided to move from Ugbene to the more populous areas of Igboland. He came and dwelt near Oka, on the land of another Igbo community,the Adama, owners of the land where he settled, by giving them a percentage of his earnings, in cash or kind; hence the saying “Ivbe Nri evbe Adama” ―What you pay to Nri Nri pays to Adama’s people.

Adama was the Head of Umudiana Village of Adazi, owners of the land, who gave the first land they settled upon to the Nris. Later on, the Nris expanded by buying more land for themselves. From the time they lived at Ugbene, Nriifikwuanim and his followers were referred to as “Ndu bun a Agu Ukwu Ugbene” ―dwellers in Agu Ukwu land of the Ugbenes). From this reference to their locality the name “Agu Ukwu” identified Nriifikwuanim and his people, and even when they had left Ugbene town, they were still known as “Agu Ukwu” people. So, when they came to live near Oka to work, the community of Nriifikwuanim was known as Agu Ukwu, and their place of habitation Agukwu town. In modern times, the name has been changed to Nri town, after the name of their ancestor – Nriifikwuanim. But the Ikolo drums of the Nris still call them: “Agu Ukwu Ugbene Agu Ukwu Ugbene!”

What Nriifikwuanim (Nri in shortened form) was able to do was most welcome to the Oka people. Previously, an offender who had committed an abomination – alu - which was a sin against Aja Ana, the Earth Goddess, and was infact a grievous offence whose tendency was to disrupt the solidarity of the society or affect the corporate existence of Oka, such as a person having carnal knowledge of the person’s father’s wife while the father was alive, or committing incest, could only be killed or sold into slavery. Such a person must, in any case, be excluded from the society which he had tried to tear asunder. There was no way of bringing him back, for no one could forgive offences against the gods.

But then there came a stranger, whom the Igbo gods could not touch, who said he could cleanse abominations by taking the risks upon himself. So, a second alternative opened up. An offender could be re-integrated with his community (after suffering whatever penalty was imposed on him by the community) by making his peace with the gods, after being cleansed of his abominable stain through a ceremony by Nriifikwuanim. Nriifikwuanim and his descendants were, therefore, very much welcomed in Oka town. Their services were required wherever sanctification was called for. They were invited where evil spirits were to be driven out of a household, or when people must purify themselves to take a particular title (so as not to die in the midst of the ceremonies), or when a house must be cleansed because a man who had committed an abomination had died within it, or when unknown gods must be propitiated. Contrary to popular misconception, Nris were not Oka people, and Oka people were not Nris; for whereas Nris were of Igala stock, Okas were original Igbo. There was no blood connection between them. But the two groups of people co-operated with one another, and worked harmoniously together. Both traveled extensively throughout Igboland. And while the Nris looked after the spiritual needs of the people they served, the Okas looked after their economic well-being."

(culled from, 'The Awka People', page 54)

Note: There's probably some Awka-centricism in the writer's tone, but generally, what he writes agrees with traditions I've encountered in some other parts of Igboland. That Nri were able to cleanse abomination because they were strangers and 'non-Igbo', and therefore could not be touched or harmed by local spirits and gods who only had power over natives.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ndigbo And Her 'integrated' Eri/nri Brother by Nobody: 3:42pm On Oct 24, 2013
^^
Nice one!
I've always wondered why the Nri's were the only "Igbos" capable of ikpu aru and some other stuff the rest of the igbos were not permitted by laws of the land to do!
Re: Ndigbo And Her 'integrated' Eri/nri Brother by NRIPRIEST(m): 4:58pm On Oct 24, 2013
Abagworo,you made a mistake by daring me. I will return to this thread. Be ready!
Re: Ndigbo And Her 'integrated' Eri/nri Brother by ChinenyeN(m): 6:16pm On Oct 24, 2013
Interesting.
Re: Ndigbo And Her 'integrated' Eri/nri Brother by Abagworo(m): 8:58pm On Oct 24, 2013
NRI PRIEST: Abagworo,you made a mistake by daring me. I will return to this thread. Be ready!

It is high time Igbos end this shameful controversy brought about by people like you and distorting our history. Igbos believe in "Ihite" or "Ifite" which means created where they are or "insitu" in Latin. The difference between you and Aros is that Aros have not lied and distorted history despite wielding more powers in later years than Nri. I've never read where Aros claim they are origin of Igbos despite having settlements everywhere and even founding some non-Aro subgroups as well as bearing "Aro okigbo".

The real proto-Igbos occupied much of Southern Nigeria in a dispersed manner but later assimilated a lot of people forming new ethnic groups or in some cases retaining the original Igbo language. Nri, Igala, Oru, Aro, Ibibio and Benin people played key roles in formation of what we call Igbo today but Nri decided to claim what they are not.

As a result of these lies propagated by your likes, Igbos will find it difficult to unite until we come out with a comprehensive study of our history and contribution of people that make up each parts of Igboland.

3 Likes

Re: Ndigbo And Her 'integrated' Eri/nri Brother by Nobody: 9:14pm On Oct 24, 2013
Abagworo:

It is high time Igbos end this shameful controversy brought about by people like you and distorting our history. Igbos believe in "Ihite" or "Ifite" which means created where they are or "insitu" in Latin. The difference between you and Aros is that Aros have not lied and distorted history despite wielding more powers in later years than Nri. I've never read where Aros claim they are origin of Igbos despite having settlements everywhere and even founding some non-Aro subgroups as well as bearing "Aro okigbo".
The real proto-Igbos occupied much of Southern Nigeria in a dispersed manner but later assimilated a lot of people forming new ethnic groups or in some cases retaining the original Igbo language. Nri, Igala, Oru, Aro, Ibibio and Benin people played key roles in formation of what we call Igbo today but Nri decided to claim what they are not.

As a result of these lies propagated by your likes, Igbos will find it difficult to unite until we come out with a comprehensive study of our history and contribution of people that make up each parts of Igboland.

Actually, I blame colonial officer-writers, like AG Leonard, who had a very poor understanding of Africans, but made some general conclusions based on some 'superficialities'.

AG Leonard was the first person to say Igbos arose from Nri, in his 1906 book. Jeffreys said something similar in the 1930s when he claimed that all Igbo culture came from Nri.

Nri people have held strongly to these erroneous versions constructed by uncomprehending Europeans and have largely ignored evidence that shows the Europeans were wrong. Including evidence embedded in the traditions and practices of Nri people themselves.
Re: Ndigbo And Her 'integrated' Eri/nri Brother by ChinenyeN(m): 9:27pm On Oct 24, 2013
Most importantly, it would seem that the actual traditions of various communities were either misinterpreted, misrepresented, or blatantly ignored as 'Igbo historians' endeavored to reconstruct precolonial settlement history, in line with such misconclusions. A number of southern Igbo communities felt this misrepresentation, when classified as brances of Isuama, irrespective of the fact that their traditions recognize the Isu (whom they call Isoma) as a separate people with which they share no affiliation.

1 Like

Re: Ndigbo And Her 'integrated' Eri/nri Brother by Nobody: 9:46pm On Oct 24, 2013
I completely agree.
Re: Ndigbo And Her 'integrated' Eri/nri Brother by Nobody: 9:51pm On Oct 24, 2013
@post Where are the portuguese archives that were consulted?

You guys should always back up whatever perspectives you make in your comments with references and proofs.
Re: Ndigbo And Her 'integrated' Eri/nri Brother by pazienza(m): 9:55pm On Oct 24, 2013
According to edda people, Aros were called Aro Okeigbo, because they were stationed at the boundary between the Igbos and Ibibios. Oke= boundary.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Ndigbo And Her 'integrated' Eri/nri Brother by pazienza(m): 10:02pm On Oct 24, 2013
Actually, i don't believe in that Nri stuff. Ogidi my town, has no remembrance of being of Nri stock, as Ezechumagha the father of Ogidi was said to have come from a land west of Obosi or so. I think most of these people claiming Nri stock in anambra might not actually be nri, they might just be nri influenced. Just my opinion.

1 Like

Re: Ndigbo And Her 'integrated' Eri/nri Brother by Abagworo(m): 11:23pm On Oct 24, 2013
ChinenyeN: Most importantly, it would seem that the actual traditions of various communities were either misinterpreted, misrepresented, or blatantly ignored as 'Igbo historians' endeavored to reconstruct precolonial settlement history, in line with such misconclusions. A number of southern Igbo communities felt this misrepresentation, when classified as brances of Isuama, irrespective of the fact that their traditions recognize the Isu (whom they call Isoma) as a separate people with which they share no affiliation.

I don't even think Isuama was recognized as an ethnic group or subgroup but a cultural zone. It was more like a country with different people and different perspectives. Isu is a people . For example Owerri or Oratta people call people after Orji "Isoma" while if you move further South, Ikwerre also calls them "Isoma" alongside the others they call Isoma. So I believe that Isuama is in reference to the core of Igboland that has several groups like Oru, Ehime, Isu, Orsu, Agbaja etc. Isu people also migrated to different places and were recognized as Isu like Isu-ikwuato, Isu-etche, Isu-ochi etc and many other Isu you can find in Igboland and beyond. Igboland is much more complex than what the earlier historians gave us as our history. The "Itu" people for example are also scattered across Igboland even though they are today mostly found in Akwa-Ibom. So is the "Onichas" whom you can find from Delta to Akwa-Ibom scattered in different communities. We also have the "Idus" who are likely from Benin scattered across Igboland.

The best way to get our full history is to treat the building blocks independently and later scrutinize and combine them into harmony.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ndigbo And Her 'integrated' Eri/nri Brother by NRIPRIEST(m): 1:55am On Oct 25, 2013
Ok,first of all there is no historry nor tradition that backed up the claim that Eri was an Igala man. I mean,if you decide to revisit peoples history you must do so with some hardcore facts not only to disprove the popular one but to also convince people that that has accepted the earlier one. Everything writtin here was done out of fear,insecurity and low self esteem. Take IgboUkwu for example,they were never called Igboukwu until the coming of the whiteman. Igbo Ukwu was formally known as Igbo NKWO and this is what they were known as before the whiteman came with his religion.

Moving forward; And this is for the Awka history distorter,Rodillo, who has been researching about Awka since he was seventeen. Whatever that means. Awka has no system of governance until Nri introduced NZE na OZO to them and the institution become the ruling class even up till today. This was revealed by Rodillo himself.

The Adama of Nri has been running around claiming the bequested Nri with the right of cleansing and rituals and I think this is the most stupid line of arguement. How can you give up the most important part of your tradition to a foreigner who you at the same time claimed were nobody. This is nothing more than grasping at straw. Very weak and shameful arguement. The Adamas were unintelligent and uncivilived when Eri arrived and the wisdom that Eri poses consumed them and they adopted the Eri system of governance(Nze na Ozo),his religion(Omenani) and his culture. He gave his followers and new convert the title of Nze na Ozo which means that you are pure and does no evil. His children multiplied,mixed up with the aborigins and migrated to other parts of Igboland including but not limited to Enugu,Anioma and Imo.

Igboukwu claimed to own the iron work that was discoverd in their land but they have no history of blacksmithing. Oraeri people were the ones that lived in that land before a certain war drove them away. It is absolutely preposterous for Igboukwu to go around claiming what they never had.

Abagworo is a cultureless old f.ool who go around making up things to tarnish Nri image but onye melua ana,ana esobie!

1 Like

Re: Ndigbo And Her 'integrated' Eri/nri Brother by NRIPRIEST(m): 2:15am On Oct 25, 2013
Radoillo:

Actually, I blame colonial officer-writers, like AG Leonard, who had a very poor understanding of Africans, but made some general conclusions based on some 'superficialities'.

AG Leonard was the first person to say Igbos arose from Nri, in his 1906 book. Jeffreys said something similar in the 1930s when he claimed that all Igbo culture came from Nri.

Nri people have held strongly to these erroneous versions constructed by uncomprehending Europeans and have largely ignored evidence that shows the Europeans were wrong. Including evidence embedded in the traditions and practices of Nri people themselves.

You are a liar and I have no respect for liars! I don't say what I don't know,rather I shut up. You are the one that said Awka has no history of migrating from anywhere then you turn around and say some came from Igala,Umudioka and Adagbe. I asked you the origin of Urueri,Awka and you said you are danm sure they are not Nri stock yet you don't know where they came from. And you went ahead and told you has an Umunri kindred in Awka but they aren't Nri stock. How old are you ? Like 200yrs ? I am not here to force anything on you but you must learn to say what you know and keep shut about what you don't. Liar!

If you know very well about the DUNUKOFIA clan then you will know about their origins. You came here and claimed only Awka and Aro were known travellers leaving out Nri. I have never heard Awka were travelllers until you said it here. How about the "MBURUCHIs". I have told you to stay away from Abagworo but you won't listen because you are blinded by your weak resolve to dint Nri image. I will ride this out with you,then.

Tell me more about Awka!
Re: Ndigbo And Her 'integrated' Eri/nri Brother by NRIPRIEST(m): 2:18am On Oct 25, 2013
pazienza: According to edda people, Aros were called Aro Okeigbo, because they were stationed at the boundary between the Igbos and Ibibios. Oke= boundary.

This is funny because Odumchi actually think the "Oke" in Oke-Igbo means "GREAT",as in great Igbo. Sometime it good to leave people to hang themselves.

1 Like

Re: Ndigbo And Her 'integrated' Eri/nri Brother by NRIPRIEST(m): 2:29am On Oct 25, 2013
It is not everything that must be taught. Certain things are common sense. Not every Nri descendants originated directly from the projenitor. Some migrated,multiplied and spread out. In this case you don't expect people from Agukwu,Enugwu Agidi nor Enugwu Ukwu to remember all these people.

And Abagworo made up new lines.

"Ikpualu" is not made for "free borns"......Even being a medical doctor is not for free borns. It is for slaves like Eri and his children. Very entertaining concept !
Abagworo,why don't you tell me the extraction of Adama you came from ? In doing that you might partially be an Omanbala and you insecurities will go away.... grin grin
Re: Ndigbo And Her 'integrated' Eri/nri Brother by NRIPRIEST(m): 2:33am On Oct 25, 2013
Agukwu is the name of the town where Eri's eldest son,Ifikwuanim settle. There is no town known simply as "Nri". People fondly call Agukwu Nri. As in Nri-Agukwu,or Agukwu-Nri.
Re: Ndigbo And Her 'integrated' Eri/nri Brother by NRIPRIEST(m): 2:41am On Oct 25, 2013
If you have commited an abomination and nobody in your community poses the wisdom of medicine to cleanse it it is because you have no wise men amongst you,hence you resolve to invite a wiseman from afar who understands the art of medicine to a greater level,which will make him a superior to you.

Onweli mgbe nnukwu dibia bialu be ndi bidebeli ayi bia boo nsi. Mgbe omesilia,ndi omelife welu nnukwu ana jilu kwuo ya ugwo.

The more you lots talk about Nri the more I find more reason to look down on you,mock and ridicule you.

Cultureless bbastards!
Re: Ndigbo And Her 'integrated' Eri/nri Brother by Obiagu1(m): 3:13am On Oct 25, 2013
NRI PRIEST: Agukwu is the name of the town where Eri's eldest son,Ifikwuanim settle. There is no town known simply as "Nri". People fondly call Agukwu Nri. As in Nri-Agukwu,or Agukwu-Nri.

I tire o!
I only know about Agukwu-Nri.
Re: Ndigbo And Her 'integrated' Eri/nri Brother by NRIPRIEST(m): 3:36am On Oct 25, 2013
So,if Eri wasn't Igbo what was he ? I guess Igala...lol. radio without battery. People will just open their mouth and keep vomiting sshit they can't clean. No evidence nor any kind of proof. Just sit down and make things up because I feel like doing it.

Any sign or proof of a lost language in the core Omanbala areas? No,I just feel like saying Eri was Igala and not Igbo....lol
Re: Ndigbo And Her 'integrated' Eri/nri Brother by NRIPRIEST(m): 3:42am On Oct 25, 2013
Infact,Awka isn't Igbo,if you feel otherwise show me the proof,since we are just pulling things out of our aasses. Show me a proof that Awka is indeed Igbo and not Igala. Because true Igbo doesn't answer "attah"!
Re: Ndigbo And Her 'integrated' Eri/nri Brother by Nobody: 7:33am On Oct 25, 2013
NRI PRIEST:

You are a liar and I have no respect for liars! I don't say what I don't know,rather I shut up. You are the one that said Awka has no history of migrating from anywhere then you turn around and say some came from Igala,Umudioka and Adagbe. I asked you the origin of Urueri,Awka and you said you are danm sure they are not Nri stock yet you don't know where they came from. And you went ahead and told you has an Umunri kindred in Awka but they aren't Nri stock. How old are you ? Like 200yrs ? I am not here to force anything on you but you must learn to say what you know and keep shut about what you don't. Liar!

If you know very well about the DUNUKOFIA clan then you will know about their origins. You came here and claimed only Awka and Aro were known travellers leaving out Nri. I have never heard Awka were travelllers until you said it here. How about the "MBURUCHIs". I have told you to stay away from Abagworo but you won't listen because you are blinded by your weak resolve to dint Nri image. I will ride this out with you,then.

Tell me more about Awka!

First of all, I never said we came from Igala or Adagbe. U probably didnt read what I wrote...which is OK. Its quite a long read. smiley

Let me make it clearer. Awka WAS already an existing full-fledged town before Ichide and Nebuzo came to establish Umudioka and Agulu villages respectively. I can give u details of the Awka compounds they lived in and the Awka people who housed them before Awka decided to give them land to settle in and form their own villages, and granted them citizenship.

There are 33 villages in Awka. Umudioka has one; Agulu has 7. The remaining 25 villages are aboriginals and have no traditions of coming from anywhere. They descend from the three groups I mentioned earlier, Urueri, Amaenyiana and Okpo. And these 3 groups have no traditions whatsoever that they came from anywhere.

Villages in Awka, like Umuzocha (my village), Amudo and Amachalla were founded when the Okpo group split up. Villages like the Ezioka and Amikwo villages were founded when the Amaenyiana group split up. Urueri failed to grow in population due to certain disasters that befell them; so they remain a rather small group in Nkwelle village.

I don't know when I said anything about Igala. I only mentioned Igala in connection with Okpuno. Okpuno is not part of Awka town; why are u misreading me (if u read me at all)?

And if you had read me well, I did mention something about Nri travelling. I'm sorry I didn't emphasize it enough to ur pleasure. Sorry.

Of course, if you didn't know Awka people travelled widely, u probably shouldn't be engaging in conversations about Igbo history until u know more about Igbo history.

I'll say it loudly, "Umudioka are not Umunri". Period.

To cap up: 1) Awka is an ancient town. It's origins are unknown.
2) Later in about the 15th and 17th centuries Agbaja and Umudioka people came. Awka gave them land to settle.
3) Urueri has no connections with Umunri. Or traditions would have said so. But traditions insist Urueru is so ancient no one knows whence they came. Umunri isn't that ancient, 'cos we remember whence they came and on whose land they settled.

1 Like

Re: Ndigbo And Her 'integrated' Eri/nri Brother by Abagworo(m): 7:34am On Oct 25, 2013
NRI PRIEST: Agukwu is the name of the town where Eri's eldest son,Ifikwuanim settle. There is no town known simply as "Nri". People fondly call Agukwu Nri. As in Nri-Agukwu,or Agukwu-Nri.

I'm happy you've accepted one undeniable point that there's no place like Nri but Agukwu and Agukwu people gave Nri fugitives land to settle among them. Why then have we been hearing these lies that Eri came from Israel and started Igbo ethnic nationality and that they are the purest Igbos. Most of my points are verifiable from source and don't even require links.
Re: Ndigbo And Her 'integrated' Eri/nri Brother by Nobody: 7:42am On Oct 25, 2013
I'll ask my own questions now.

1) Are Umunri immigrants and settlers in Agukwu or not?

2) On whose land are they living now?

3) Were they or were they not formerly tenants in Ugbene before moving south to Agukwu?

4) Were they or were they not paying 'tributes' to Adama people?

5) Why were they paying tribute to Adama?

6) Who crowns the Eze Nri?

7) Who cleanses abomination in Agukwu?

cool What is the relationship between Nri town and Enugu-Ukwu?

9) How is it that Ofo Nri is held by Enugu-Ukwu and not Nri Town?

10) Is Enugu-Ukwu older than Nri Town (Well, I know they both belong to Umunri clan, and Agukwu wasn't even called Nri town until the 1940s or so)

11) Did u know that Enugu-Ukwu (which is Nri Town's senior) was at one point called Enugu-Awka?

If u can't answer these questions or don't know the answers, perhaps u should get an education before coming back.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Ndigbo And Her 'integrated' Eri/nri Brother by Nobody: 8:21am On Oct 25, 2013
"Moving forward; And this is for the Awka history distorter,Rodillo, who has been researching about Awka since he was seventeen. Whatever that means. Awka has no system of governance until Nri introduced NZE na OZO to them and the institution become the ruling class even up till today. This was revealed by Rodillo himself."

The distorter has been quoting his sources. Bring forth sources.

Ozo might have been an Nri innovation. I'm not going to get into argument over that. The puzzling thing is that, title-taking in Awka is a complex affair. There are four titles that come before Ozo title which have absolutely nothing to do with Nri. And that makes me wonder whether the whole argument that title-taking as a whole was brought from Nri is even tenable. Ajaghija titleholders in Awka command great respect and have political influence; the title DOES NOT comes from Nri, and the processes do not involve Nri ritualists at any stage.

Needless to say, it is quite arrogant of you to say that Awka had no government before the introduction of Ozo title. Title associations arent the only institution of governance in Igboland. You should know that as a custodian of Igbo culture.

If one title in a hierarchy of titles came from Nri, while the other ones are indigenous, does that translate into the absence of titles and a government before the coming of Nri?

1 Like

Re: Ndigbo And Her 'integrated' Eri/nri Brother by Nobody: 8:47am On Oct 25, 2013
NRI PRIEST: Infact,Awka isn't Igbo,if you feel otherwise show me the proof,since we are just pulling things out of our aasses. Show me a proof that Awka is indeed Igbo and not Igala. Because true Igbo doesn't answer "attah"!

grin grin grin

Are u trying to be funny? OK, lemme indulge u for a while. I'm gonna be un-busy for a few hours or so.

Umuzocha people travelled widely in Igala land in pre-colonial times. Pat Attah is from Umuzocha, same as me. We married Igala women. We gave our children some of their names. (Well, really, Attah is the only Igala name i've heard of in Awka...and it is exclusively born by Umuzocha people.)

I came across an obituary of an old Awka man once and his name was Ossai. This puzzled me because I always thought Ossai was an exclusively Ukwuani name. My bet is the man's village (which I never got to find out) operated in Ukwuani area.

WE TRAVELLED; WE EMULATED. BIG DEAL.

I hope you know Olisa is etymologically non-Igbo. But is widely used as a name in Anambra, including Agukwu-Nri....

Don't bring the name thing here, friend
Re: Ndigbo And Her 'integrated' Eri/nri Brother by Nobody: 9:07am On Oct 25, 2013
My position isn't that Nri came from Igala. All I can say is they are connected to the Anambra River Valley. I only quoted a source that said they came from Igala... That doesn't necessarily mean that that's my position on the matter.

An Agukwu-Nri man, Chief Henry Umeadi told Mr G. J. Lawton in the 1930s that Nri and Igala were brothers. Fact. The record is in the Enugu Archives. E.P. 6810, Intelligence Report on N. A. Awka Division. An Agukwu-Nri man himself said it. It might not be accurate history, but the point is...AN AGUKWU-NRI MAN SAID IT.

1 Like

Re: Ndigbo And Her 'integrated' Eri/nri Brother by bigfrancis21: 1:40pm On Oct 25, 2013
Radoillo: I'll ask my own questions now.

1) Are Umunri immigrants and settlers in Agukwu or not?

2) On whose land are they living now?

3) Were they or were they not formerly tenants in Ugbene before moving south to Agukwu?

4) Were they or were they not paying 'tributes' to Adama people?

5) Why were they paying tribute to Adama?

6) Who crowns the Eze Nri?

7) Who cleanses abomination in Agukwu?

8.) What is the relationship between Nri town and Enugu-Ukwu?

9) How is it that Ofo Nri is held by Enugu-Ukwu and not Nri Town?

10) Is Enugu-Ukwu older than Nri Town (Well, I know they both belong to Umunri clan, and Agukwu wasn't even called Nri town until the 1940s or so)

11) Did u know that Enugu-Ukwu (which is Nri Town's senior) was at one point called Enugu-Awka?

If u can't answer these questions or don't know the answers, perhaps u should get an education before coming back.

Being an Enugwu-Ukwu native myself, I'll answer your questions in bold:

cool Enugwu-ukwu's founding father was the first son of Nri, Nri who was born by Eri. And on the death of Nri, his ofo was passed down to his first son, according to Igbo tradition, which happened to be the progenitor of Enugwu-ukwu people.

9) The Ofo Nri is held by Enugwu-ukwu town by virtue of the fact that it is the most senior town of all Nri-descended towns.

10) I don't know who's older but Nri should definitely be older.

11) And no, Enugwu-ukwu was never at a time called, named or known as Enugwu-Awka. Maybe you're mistaking it for Enugwu-Agidi which was formerly known as 'Osunakidi'. The town people didn't like the name because of the 'Osu' that was part of it so they clamored for a name change. This was around 40-60 years ago.

I'll give you a run-down of our history. My dad told me, and my aged grandmother who happens to be the same age with Queen Elizabeth of England corroborated this fact, that Nri had children, and after some years living with him his sons moved out to other areas to go and create their own homes and settlement.

One day, he decided to go pay his sons visits. So he decided to locate his first son. After some search he found located him and when he did, he found him living on a hill top, so he said, 'o n'enu ugwu ukwu a ka I bia bili?'(Is it this great mountain top that you came and settled?) And that was how the town name, Enugwu Ukwu, stuck.

Few days later He moved off in search of his other sons. He located another one who happened to inhabit a great thick forest. On seeing his son he exclaimed, 'o n'agu ukwu a ka nginwa bialu bili?'(Is it in this thick great forest that you came to settle?). The name, Agu Ukwu, stuck.

He went off in search of another son of his and met him in the middle of lunch eating Akidi. This particular son of his loved Akidi so much. So he asked him, 'O sugo gi n'akidi?'(Have you started with Akidi?'). The town name, Osunakidi, then stuck and was like this for several hundreds of years until 40-60 years ago when they clamored for a name change because they didn't like the 'Osu' that was part of their clan name which would make outsiders think they were 'Osus'. Their name was then changed to Enugwu-agidi.

He also located another son of his living inside a bush. On sighting this his son he queried him, 'o n'ofia a ka I bialu nolu?'(Is it inside this bush that you came and stayed?). That was how the name, 'Nawfia'(Nofia proper) came to be.

The list isn't complete. There are one or two other towns the man also visited which I've forgotten. I'll ask my dad again to remind me of them. He told me in full but its only these 4 I remember now.
Re: Ndigbo And Her 'integrated' Eri/nri Brother by ezeagu(m): 1:51pm On Oct 25, 2013
Original post: I didn't read the whole thing because I have already read this theory. My conclusion is that the dates don't match up with events that the kingdom is associated with. If Eri were from the 1500s then it discredits the ancestry of places that are Igbo-speaking west of the Niger since much of those communities were at least populated by some Nri-cultured people well before that date. For example Ogwashi-Ukwu is a direct settlement of Nri or Nri-like people. "Ogwa Nshi Ukwu" literally translates as the 'Great hall of Nri (Nshi)'. The dates don't add up and this debates seems more like a political smear than research.

1 Like

Re: Ndigbo And Her 'integrated' Eri/nri Brother by NRIPRIEST(m): 2:05pm On Oct 25, 2013
ezeagu: Original post: I didn't read the whole thing because I have already read this theory. My conclusion is that the dates don't match up with events that the kingdom is associated with. If Eri were from the 1500s then it discredits the ancestry of places that are Igbo-speaking west of the Niger since much of those communities were at least populated by some Nri-cultured people well before that date. For example Ogwashi-Ukwu is a direct settlement of Nri or Nri-like people. "Ogwa Nshi Ukwu" literally translates as the 'Great hall of Nri (Nshi)'. The dates don't add up and this debates seems more like a political smear than research.

The write up is completely flawed. This is most definitely a smear campaign but it won't stick. Imagine somebody saying Eri wasn't an Igbo!
Re: Ndigbo And Her 'integrated' Eri/nri Brother by bigfrancis21: 2:51pm On Oct 25, 2013
NRI PRIEST:

The write up is completely flawed. This is most definitely a smear campaign but it won't stick. Imagine somebody saying Eri wasn't an Igbo!

Me too don't believe that write-up neither. Eri wasn't an Igbo? Lol. There's no evidence whatsoever of a lost Igala-like language in these Umunri areas of Anambra state. Surely, such a language should have survived, even if not in its entirety but, at least, fragments such as in several words, phrases etc.

Igbo and Igala see themselves as related, having descended from progenitors who were blood brothers from the same parents. And not that one group founded the other. That's why an Anambra saying goes thus: 'Igbo gwusia n'ani Igbo, Igbo ka fokwa n'Igala'.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Group Calls For Suspension Of Emir Sanusi's Of Kano (Video) / New Blog By A Hausa/fulani Woman Living In England / Osun Government Bans Social Gatherings At This Year's Osun-Osogbo Festival

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 139
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.