Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,545 members, 7,809,000 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 08:52 PM

Bulletproof Car Scam: Melaye Vows To Fight On - Nairaland / General - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Bulletproof Car Scam: Melaye Vows To Fight On (434 Views)

GEJ on bulletproof at Maiduguri to canvas for vote (pic) / Meet Ms Stella Oduah's Bulletproof BMW 760 Li High Security / Name Your Best Fight On This Platform (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Bulletproof Car Scam: Melaye Vows To Fight On by arthgideon: 3:17pm On Oct 25, 2013
A former member of the House of Representatives and Executive Secretary of the Anti-Corruption Network, Dino Melaye, says he will not give up on his ambition to make the Minister of Aviation, Stella Oduah, answer for the alleged N255m car fraud that is currently rocking her office.

Melaye was arrested for leading a protest against the controversial car deal and demanding the dismissal of Oduah, as well as a refund of the money used in purchasing two bullet-proof BMW cars. After he was released on Wednesday evening, he vowed never to be intimidated by the police.

The former lawmaker had described the circumstances surrounding the car deal as having the imprints of recklessness and wastefulness.

In a message posted on Twitter, he thanked his followers on social media for showing concern over his whereabouts after the news of his arrest spread across the country.

Melaye told the police to prepare to arrest him again, saying that he would never be silenced in the face of widespread corruption in the Nigerian polity.

“I am impressed with Nigerian youths who yesterday (Wednesday) stood up to the hired miscreants that interrupted our protest. We overpowered them. I was released on Wednesday evening. I want to thank all those who showed concern during my arrest. God bless you.

“But me, I go open my mouth. I cannot be silenced. Na dem go tire. It’s too late to give up. In fact, it is not possible. Be ready to arrest me again because we will not stop fighting corruption and protesting against enemies of our future. Aluta continua. To those aiding and abetting corruption, we shall overrun you,” he said.

Also he faulted the appointment of a three-member probe panel by the Federal Government to conduct an investigation into the alleged bullet-proof car scam.

Noting that the FG ought to have asked Oduah to step aside before setting up the panel, he added, “I am against the committee on Stella Oduah, because you cannot be a judge in your own case. She has to be suspended before the start of such an investigation.”

Another Nigerian, Ahmed Salihu, said on Twitter that President Goodluck Jonathan should have allowed the police or other anti-graft agencies to take charge of the investigation.

“If the minister of aviation is not untouchable, why did President Jonathan not allow any of the anti-graft agencies to investigate her conduct? Why did he appoint a committee to probe the minister? Yet we have the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission and the Independent Corrupt Practices and other related offences Commission.

“I smell a rat here. President Jonathan should note that anti-corruption campaigns have just started and no amount of intimidation will stop the movement for justice and equity.”

A Nigerian online commentator based in the United States, Peter Aduba, berated the police, which he accused of sycophancy and overzealousness, for arresting Melaye and a handful of protesters because they exercised their constitutionally guaranteed rights.

Aduba said that arresting the people for expressing their disdain for corruption contradicted the ethics of law enforcement.

He tweeted, “Corruption is evil. Melaye and other youths who rose up to protest against corruption have a place in history. The police should be empowered to arrest men who rape the country and not arrest anti-corruption activists. Arresting innocent folks appealing to government to end corruption is sycophancy

“Corrupt individuals must be flushed out. The police must do more of confidence building and not suppression. It is a contradiction to arrest somebody who is aggrieved about corruption. The protest is a victory for corrupt free Nigeria. Time will tell. Intimidation is crazy. In Nigeria, everybody, including the police, National Assembly members, should stand up against corruption.”

Popular blogger, Japheth Omojuwa, said it was shameful that the President had to embark on a pilgrimage with a minister facing charges for corruption.

He tweeted, “Dino Melaye’s arrest is in line with President Jonathan’s Transformation Agenda to scare future protesters from even thinking about it. Besides, President Jonathan took Stella Oduah, who is facing a N255 million scandal involving two BMW armoured cars case, seriously as he carried her along to Israel for prayers.”

Another Twitter user, Olanrewaju Smart, urged Jonathan to purge his cabinet of corrupt women.

“It must not be impossible to make good things happen in Nigeria. We want women who can transform minds toward the path of Nigeria’s greatness,” he wrote.

(1) (Reply)

Pot Calling Kettle Black / Letter Of Appeal To Nairalanders. / Thread For Nov Batch Coppers Posred To Kogi

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 16
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.