Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,869 members, 7,806,475 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 05:02 PM

Reasons Why That "Court Marriage " Might Not Be The Solution - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Reasons Why That "Court Marriage " Might Not Be The Solution (15007 Views)

She Wants Court Marriage, He Wants Traditional Marriage, She Say He Does Not.... / Would You Agree To A Court Marriage? / Traditonal Marriage And Court Marriage (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Reasons Why That "Court Marriage " Might Not Be The Solution by raqueal(f): 4:32pm On Oct 25, 2013
Take some minutes and read this it just might benefit you. Many women assume that getting married in the Registry automatically vests the title of a legal wife on them This may be true in certain circumstances but not in all cases.

1. A legal marriage is governed by several laws but (i'll spare you that) basically it is a legal marriage under the Act (Court marriage) while a traditional marriage is guided by Customary laws and customs of the place where the marriage took place.

2. Co-habitation does not at any time make you a legal wife. If your husband decides to wed another woman under Customary Law or Under the Act i.e in the Registry she automatically becomes the recognized wife legally or under native laws and customs.

3. A customary law marriage is recognized as valid by the courts but the proof is oral while proof of marriage under the Act is by a document (marriage certificate) that amongst other reasons is why a lot of women will duplicate the marriage process to as to have the marriage certificate.

4. Divorce of a traditional marriage takes place in the customary courts (or magistrate courts like i have witnessed in the east) while divorce of a Legal marriage takes place in the High courts.

4. A man that is previously married to a woman under customary law is permitted to marry THE SAME WOMAN under the Act but if the man originally marries under the Act HE IS NOT PERMITTED TO MARRY ANOTHER (anyone) UNDER CUSTOMARY LAW
. This is an offense punishable with 5 years imprisonment and also the marriage is invalid. That is the reason people get married in the registry before traditional or church marriage.

5. Under customary law, you can marry as many women as you desire but under the Act, you may only marry one. Pause......

Women, going to the registry to get married to a man who has a subsisitng marriage with another woman will not cure you of your woes. It will be erroneous for you to assume that you have become a legal wife by doing so. Going to the registry with such man only makes him:

A. Guilty of Bi-gamy
B. Rendering your marriage void form the beginning. You only need a court declaration to that effect. Pray your husband's will is uncontested by the family members, pray the legality of your marriage is not questioned, pray that the man does not use this knowledge to wreck havoc in the near future.You just have to keep praying.

It does not matter if your Nigerian spouse is married to another in a foreign country, it shall be as if the marriage was contracted in a Registry is Nigeria.

Nigerian women, read the marriage Act , know exactly where you stand, do not permit certain things to happen to you. If you must marry a married man(married or separated) ensure you do so in accordance with your customs and traditions even if you will duplicate the process in the registry and hope no one ever challenges the validity of your court wedding.

**i deliberately omitted church marriage because i do not want this thread to be invaded by religious bigots but If you are married only by a pastor/priest or Imam, you'll may also try the registry too.
Re: Reasons Why That "Court Marriage " Might Not Be The Solution by soulglo: 4:40pm On Oct 25, 2013
I still do not see the disadvantage of doing it in the Courts

1 Like

Re: Reasons Why That "Court Marriage " Might Not Be The Solution by raqueal(f): 4:48pm On Oct 25, 2013
Please read my posts again. I never said there are disadvantages in getting married in the registry. I only pointed out why a court marriage will not be the solution in certain cases.
Re: Reasons Why That "Court Marriage " Might Not Be The Solution by soulglo: 5:52pm On Oct 25, 2013
What's the reason? Is it that he might be guilty of bigamy if he is legally married to another
Re: Reasons Why That "Court Marriage " Might Not Be The Solution by Tinkybabe(f): 6:27pm On Oct 25, 2013
But registry wedding provides the most insurance as far as the law is concerned
Re: Reasons Why That "Court Marriage " Might Not Be The Solution by bellong: 6:33pm On Oct 25, 2013
OP,

Seems my comprehension is poor this evening, what exactly is the demerit of registry because all what you wrote are strictly in support of it.

Please explain. Thank you

1 Like

Re: Reasons Why That "Court Marriage " Might Not Be The Solution by raqueal(f): 6:38pm On Oct 25, 2013
soul_glo: What's the reason? Is it that he might be guilty of bigamy if he is legally married to another

Yes and such marriage may be void or invalid therefore a total waste of time. If a man is married to another whether traditionally or in the registry, going to the registry with you will not make him legally yours.
Re: Reasons Why That "Court Marriage " Might Not Be The Solution by raqueal(f): 6:48pm On Oct 25, 2013
bellong: OP,

Seems my comprehension is poor this evening, what exactly is the demerit of registry because all what you wrote are strictly in support of it.

Please explain. Thank you
As far as I am concerned there is no disadvantage if the man does not have a subsisitng marriage before seeking to marry another.
Getting married in the registry is not a solution Where a man is already taken. It won't cure a thing and make him legally yours.

1 Like

Re: Reasons Why That "Court Marriage " Might Not Be The Solution by soulglo: 6:52pm On Oct 25, 2013
raqueal:
As far as I am concerned there is no disadvantage if the man does not have a subsisitng marriage before seeking to marry another.
Getting married in the registry is not a solution Where a man is already taken. It won't cure a thing and make him legally yours.

Ok I get what you are saying now. It is just the way it was worded that has people confused at the point you are trying to make.
Re: Reasons Why That "Court Marriage " Might Not Be The Solution by raqueal(f): 7:07pm On Oct 25, 2013
soul_glo:

Ok I get what you are saying now. It is just the way it was worded that has people confused at the point you are trying to make.

I think I left too much to be inferred. I have modified accordingly. Thanks.
Re: Reasons Why That "Court Marriage " Might Not Be The Solution by bellong: 7:20pm On Oct 25, 2013
raqueal:

Now I understand what you are passing across
Re: Reasons Why That "Court Marriage " Might Not Be The Solution by Kanwulia: 7:11am On Oct 26, 2013
I don't see how all that 'ba bu turenchi' helps to solve the TYPICAL Nigerian woman's pre-occupation with her husband' ever wondering pehnis o! grin
Re: Reasons Why That "Court Marriage " Might Not Be The Solution by angelTI(f): 9:00am On Oct 26, 2013
Infomative piece @OP. This is a FP-worthy material so all could be enlightened

1 Like

Re: Reasons Why That "Court Marriage " Might Not Be The Solution by tpiadotcom: 5:06pm On Apr 02, 2015
Man shortage
Re: Reasons Why That "Court Marriage " Might Not Be The Solution by Nobody: 11:16pm On Apr 02, 2015
raqueal:
Take some minutes and read this it just might benefit you. Many women assume that getting married in the Registry automatically vests the title of a legal wife on them This may be true in certain circumstances but not in all cases.

1. A legal marriage is governed by several laws but (i'll spare you that) basically it is a legal marriage under the Act (Court marriage) while a traditional marriage is guided by Customary laws and customs of the place where the marriage took place.

2. Co-habitation does not at any time make you a legal wife. If your husband decides to wed another woman under Customary Law or Under the Act i.e in the Registry she automatically becomes the recognized wife legally or under native laws and customs.

3. A customary law marriage is recognized as valid by the courts but the proof is oral while proof of marriage under the Act is by a document (marriage certificate) that amongst other reasons is why a lot of women will duplicate the marriage process to as to have the marriage certificate.

4. Divorce of a traditional marriage takes place in the customary courts (or magistrate courts like i have witnessed in the east) while divorce of a Legal marriage takes place in the High courts.

4. A man that is previously married to a woman under customary law is permitted to marry THE SAME WOMAN under the Act but if the man originally marries under the Act HE IS NOT PERMITTED TO MARRY ANOTHER (anyone) UNDER CUSTOMARY LAW
. This is an offense punishable with 5 years imprisonment and also the marriage is invalid. That is the reason people get married in the registry before traditional or church marriage.

5. Under customary law, you can marry as many women as you desire but under the Act, you may only marry one. Pause......

Women, going to the registry to get married to a man who has a subsisitng marriage with another woman will not cure you of your woes. It will be erroneous for you to assume that you have become a legal wife by doing so. Going to the registry with such man only makes him:

A. Guilty of Bi-gamy
B. Rendering your marriage void form the beginning. You only need a court declaration to that effect. Pray your husband's will is uncontested by the family members, pray the legality of your marriage is not questioned, pray that the man does not use this knowledge to wreck havoc in the near future.You just have to keep praying.

It does not matter if your Nigerian spouse is married to another in a foreign country, it shall be as if the marriage was contracted in a Registry is Nigeria.

Nigerian women, read the marriage Act , know exactly where you stand, do not permit certain things to happen to you. If you must marry a married man(married or separated) ensure you do so in accordance with your customs and traditions even if you will duplicate the process in the registry and hope no one ever challenges the validity of your court wedding.

**i deliberately omitted church marriage because i do not want this thread to be invaded by religious bigots but If you are married only by a pastor/priest or Imam, you'll may also try the registry too.

wat if sepration occurs what ar the divorce processes nd rules?

(1) (Reply)

Effects Of Early Marriage / Pills Without Husband Consent / Guys, What Do You Consider To Be A Fair Dowry?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.