Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,241 members, 7,807,819 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 07:49 PM

Why Is Nigerian Food Not As Popular As Chinese? - Food - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / Why Is Nigerian Food Not As Popular As Chinese? (14800 Views)

Monopoly Products In The Nigerian Food Market / Nigerian Food (Pictures Only) / Nigerian Food One Can Eat To Add Weight (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Is Nigerian Food Not As Popular As Chinese? by Mamacita007(f): 8:17pm On Oct 25, 2013
For example, our fried rice is just like regular Chinese combination rice with peas, green beans & minced meat

Hispanics eat fried plantain, beans & rice like us

we use fresh ingredients & vegetables too

we can make our food either spicy or non spicy

naija food is not expensive

why is our food not so popular like others?

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Is Nigerian Food Not As Popular As Chinese? by Nobody: 8:19pm On Oct 25, 2013
grin Call me wizard! As if I knew this would make front page..

This is getting boring. 15th time in this month to comment first..

@Topic, maybe because of locust beans..

Hallelujah! Church in session.. *runs*

7 Likes

Re: Why Is Nigerian Food Not As Popular As Chinese? by Nobody: 8:21pm On Oct 25, 2013
Nigerians haven't yet got the nous to set up African restaurants like other nationals do. If more Nigerians in the U.S. shouw interest in such a venture, then the popularity will be there.

4 Likes

Re: Why Is Nigerian Food Not As Popular As Chinese? by Mamacita007(f): 8:25pm On Oct 25, 2013
CFCfan: Nigerians haven't yet got the nous to set up African restaurants like other nationals do. If more Nigerians in the U.S. shouw interest in such a venture, then the popularity will be there.

Yes but even mexican food is popular even with small restaurants, they re still able to attract customers unlike us. their food is just tacos & burritos with beans. naija food is better & tastier

1 Like

Re: Why Is Nigerian Food Not As Popular As Chinese? by kpolli(m): 8:30pm On Oct 25, 2013
Mamacita007: For example, our fried rice is just like regular Chinese combination rice with peas, green beans & minced meat

Hispanics eat fried plantain, beans & rice like us

we use fresh ingredients & vegetables too

we can make our food either spicy or non spicy

naija food is not expensive

why is our food not so popular like others?

Not popular how Plus u don dey talk americana (spicy)

2 Likes

Re: Why Is Nigerian Food Not As Popular As Chinese? by Afam4eva(m): 8:35pm On Oct 25, 2013
Nigerian that doesn't export toothpick wants to export dishes. Even the Nigerian restaurants abroad mostly target Nigerians and some Africans. It's not until you sell your brand that people will patronize you.

6 Likes

Re: Why Is Nigerian Food Not As Popular As Chinese? by Nobody: 8:39pm On Oct 25, 2013
Mamacita007:

Yes but even mexican food is popular even with small restaurants, they re still able to attract customers unlike us. their food is just tacos & burritos with beans. naija food is better & tastier
That's what I'm saying. There aren't many small Nigerian restaurants in the U.S. either. I don't blame our people to much sha, because here in Southern California, one has to pony up close to $10,000 to set up a decent restaurant, due to the taxes, utility bills and supplies.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Is Nigerian Food Not As Popular As Chinese? by Nobody: 9:33pm On Oct 25, 2013
undecided
Re: Why Is Nigerian Food Not As Popular As Chinese? by Big4wig(m): 9:37pm On Oct 25, 2013
Ok o

So I forgot my laptop on the floor in my friend's room. His grandma thought it was a scale.
CONCLUSION:
His grandma weighs N150,000.

8 Likes

Re: Why Is Nigerian Food Not As Popular As Chinese? by yhemster(m): 9:38pm On Oct 25, 2013
Nigeria food is expensive to prepare in terms of ingredients and length of time but chinese food are very cheap and fast to prepare. Thats why chinese restaurant are like fast food.

1 Like

Re: Why Is Nigerian Food Not As Popular As Chinese? by HerexG(m): 9:41pm On Oct 25, 2013
That's because we are not Proudly Africa

Go loud it

Any black man anywhere around the world is an AFRICAN !

If you like bleach out your whole skin

You can't hid from your shadows

1 Like

Re: Why Is Nigerian Food Not As Popular As Chinese? by Nobody: 9:41pm On Oct 25, 2013
Ask Bright Chimezie

2 Likes

Re: Why Is Nigerian Food Not As Popular As Chinese? by AZeD1(m): 9:44pm On Oct 25, 2013
The Chinese are talking over the world little by little so its only natural for people to be interested in their cuisine.

2 Likes

Re: Why Is Nigerian Food Not As Popular As Chinese? by Aerocrystals(m): 9:45pm On Oct 25, 2013
Hmm..

1 Like

Re: Why Is Nigerian Food Not As Popular As Chinese? by sage2(m): 9:56pm On Oct 25, 2013
The reason is not far fetch. 1.3 billion Chinese, 150 million Nigerians including animals(legend have it that they get counted in the northern part of the country).

7 Likes

Re: Why Is Nigerian Food Not As Popular As Chinese? by tsmith(f): 10:00pm On Oct 25, 2013
it's mainly about the packaging and promotion, migrant representation and allure of the Country and people.

I'd take my points from last; the accepted and known international cuisines are popular because people have either had cause to travel there, work there or live there, on return they rave about the food and introduce such to families and friends etc. China & Japan are business hubs etc, on the flip the Nigerian economy and terrain is still dangerous waters to many, and we do not enjoy the same scale of travellers like these countries do.

Another thing that can make a cuisine popular is the community representation in an area. Like in the UK for example, Indians and Jamaicans were used to build the London underground etc. Many have remained, inter married and mixed. Indians for one still tend to group together and have a community feel, thus their cuisines are becoming internationally acceptable. Many know about the Jamaican rice and peas, jerk chicken etc, however due to the hostile and unpredictable view of Jamaicans, would tread carefully from trying out just any Jamaican restaurant.

Now from a packing and promotion point of view, i'd speak from personal experience, eating out for a regular westerner person is not just about taste of the food, but also about the presentation, ambience and general customer services. Our friends here in Bristol opened a Nigerian restaurant about 2 years ago. As a Nigerian i felt the food was a lil over priced compared what's available in London eg. £5 a meal. But i do understand their view, cause theirs isn't the regular run down take-awayish dingy that serves up authentic food, they went a step ahead to have a buy out lease on an existing restaurant, do it up nicely, you know the full works, bar area, seating area, nicely printed menus etc. Also featured in Groupon promotions and National dailies but were however lacking in the customer services department. The result is nothing but negative reviews on tripadvisor etc. On the flip, a Jamaican restaurant just opened up in Bristol a few months ago, and its hard getting reservations 3 days ahead. That's the different of customer services.

Truly our food is delish and could equally contest with Chinese, Thai, Indian, Portuguese etc, and it's such a shame that we aint promoting as should. Whe Nigeria becomes a business/tourist hub so would our cuisine.

15 Likes

Re: Why Is Nigerian Food Not As Popular As Chinese? by kekakuz(m): 10:00pm On Oct 25, 2013
the chinese are about 2 billion and chinese is chinese
but naija get over 300 language yet you want our food to be as international as theirs,

take note maurice
from now on, chao mein in my main chao
Re: Why Is Nigerian Food Not As Popular As Chinese? by LajaLaba: 10:17pm On Oct 25, 2013
;
Big4wig: Ok o

So I forgot my laptop on the floor in my friend's room. His grandma thought it was a scale.
CONCLUSION:
His grandma weighs N150,000.
Joker alert grin
Re: Why Is Nigerian Food Not As Popular As Chinese? by Donrissy(m): 10:17pm On Oct 25, 2013
QUESTION: Why is Nigerian food not as popular as Chinese?
ANSWER: Because Chinese food is more popular than Nigerias.
CASE CLOSED.
Re: Why Is Nigerian Food Not As Popular As Chinese? by bamssy(m): 10:18pm On Oct 25, 2013
d italians r bst kwn 4 resturant,french also r better dan d chinese cos d chinese r kwn 2 eat different delicacy of fud which r a taboo 2 our culture das y nafdac place ban on sum chinese imported canned fuds das y must nigerians lyk my self dnt patronize chinese resturant 4 u might end up eaten a cockroach lizard scorpion etc

1 Like

Re: Why Is Nigerian Food Not As Popular As Chinese? by Nobody: 10:18pm On Oct 25, 2013
Some topics make me feel good
Re: Why Is Nigerian Food Not As Popular As Chinese? by LajaLaba: 10:19pm On Oct 25, 2013
HerexG :
That's because we are not Proudly Africa

Go loud it

Any black man anywhere around the world is an AFRICAN !

If you like bleach out your whole skin

You can't hid from your shadows....
Tell them
Re: Why Is Nigerian Food Not As Popular As Chinese? by Nobody: 10:24pm On Oct 25, 2013
Mamacita007:

do you know how many mexicans stay on one block alonebefore your food gets popular,your people have to eat it and spread the word.took me about 4 years to meet a Nigerian where am at and 3 that have restaurants packed up cos they still thought they were selling at Isale Eko where anything goes.takes a lot to run a restaurant here and actually give your food a stand in the community.we have a long way to gooooooooooo

1 Like

Re: Why Is Nigerian Food Not As Popular As Chinese? by saintNinoBran(m): 10:26pm On Oct 25, 2013
Says who?
Re: Why Is Nigerian Food Not As Popular As Chinese? by fittty(m): 10:26pm On Oct 25, 2013
Dunno
Re: Why Is Nigerian Food Not As Popular As Chinese? by Ismahill(m): 10:28pm On Oct 25, 2013
Who tell u.chinese rice popular reach Gari nd Epa ni. O serious.

3 Likes

Re: Why Is Nigerian Food Not As Popular As Chinese? by Nobody: 10:34pm On Oct 25, 2013
We are not really 1 people, so how can our food and recipes be 1?

Food and uniformity go hand in hand.
Re: Why Is Nigerian Food Not As Popular As Chinese? by BankuTilapia: 10:38pm On Oct 25, 2013
People are always suspicious of 4-1-9 food datz why nigerian food is not as popular as Chinese food. cheesy
Re: Why Is Nigerian Food Not As Popular As Chinese? by Idrismusty97(m): 10:46pm On Oct 25, 2013
I tire for seun and co o.Why this kind thing the enter front page na!.Its about time i study the [size=24pt]Law of frontpage!![/size]
Re: Why Is Nigerian Food Not As Popular As Chinese? by Nobody: 10:49pm On Oct 25, 2013
Err...'cause most people won't eat food
that smells bad or looks slimy.
undecided

2 Likes

Re: Why Is Nigerian Food Not As Popular As Chinese? by mazizitonene(m): 10:51pm On Oct 25, 2013
Kamanda: Ask Bright Chimezie
Lol, nwanne'm nwoke......u dhan hear dat him song abi... ****d oyibo man said he's committing suicide*** grin
Re: Why Is Nigerian Food Not As Popular As Chinese? by Idrismusty97(m): 10:53pm On Oct 25, 2013
Motlalentoa: Err...'cause most people won't eat food
that smells bad or looks slimy.
undecided
Wich nigeria food smell bad or look slimy?.Na your village food?

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

How Many Times Do You Eat In A Day? / Baking With Local Oven / Health Benefits Of Our Everyday Naija Veg & Spices

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.