Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,447 members, 7,808,596 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 02:00 PM

Should A Man Live In A House Built By His Wife? - Properties - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / Should A Man Live In A House Built By His Wife? (14011 Views)

Wow: Check Out A House Built Upside Down / JUST CALL AND GET THAT HOUSE BUILT(GOODNEWS FOR NIGERIANS IN DIASPORA) / House Built Upside Down (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Should A Man Live In A House Built By His Wife? by femmefatale: 4:50am On Oct 26, 2013
Ordinarily, the man, being the head of the family, is expected to provide accommodation and other
basic needs for his wife and children. But these
days there are wealthy women who build houses on their own. Saturday PUNCH asked people if it was proper for men to live in houses built by their wives, expecially without their consent.

It is not proper
John Adeshina

No, it is not proper for a man to live in a house built by his wife without his consent. The husband and the wife are one and that alone means any decision that concerns the home is to be taken by the man and his wife. In this case, if she builds it without the husband’s consent, then I will say a big no to that. But if it is with the husband’s consent, then I think that is not bad. But for me, I will not agree to live in that house because for a woman to do that, it means she has no regard for the husband and she can even do more harm to him. So, I don’t agree with this.

Men generally are the jealous type
Bunmi Quadri

Normally, the husband and wife are meant to do
things together because they are one. If this is not respected, they are bound to have issues between them. But as regards the question, it is not right for a man to live in a house built by his wife without his consent because it shows there is no love. If this happens, it can lead to divorce, because we all know that men generally are the jealous type. For me, my husband will know before I build any house.

It doesn’t sound well
Nosiru Lateef

We are generally bound by our culture. A Yoruba
proverb says that a man who lives in a house built by an in-law is actually living in a bin house. To me, it doesn’t sound well but because our culture has been mixed, things like this are bound to happen. If the man knows, she can go ahead but if he doesn’t know, then I don’t agree. To me, there should be sincerity and if the sincerity is violated, then it is wrong for her to build, not to even talk of living there, I will not stay there. A woman should normally tell her husband everything she does.

She has no right to do that
Deborah Olanrewaju

The woman has no right to build a house without
telling the husband because the man is the head of the home. A man should not live in that house
because it is right for the wife to make known all
her intentions to the man. For me, I can’t build a
house without my husband’s consent.

I can’t live in house built by my wife without my contribution
Ayilara tunde

There should be a touch of sincerity in every
husband and wife relationship. If she does that
without my consent, then I will know she is up to
something. I can’t even live in a house built by my wife without my consent. In short, I can’t live there because if she is sincere, she would let me know.

The woman should not hide anything from her
husband
Omolola Ajibise

No, it means there is no love because I see no
reason why the woman should hide things from her husband. To me, that is not right and it also means there is no trust. A man should not live in a house built by his wife without his consent. I can’t build a house without my husband’s consent, it is not proper at all.

The man should be responsible
Babalola Saka

In my opinion, I don’t think I can do that because
the man should be capable enough to take up the
responsibilities of his wife and kids. I should be
responsible, not my wife. Not that I won’t be happy for her, but I can’t live there because as time goes on, there will be problem.

Men can never tolerate that
Victoria Osigwe

It is not right. The husband must know because if it happens, the man will be ridiculed by people
outside. Men can never tolerate it because of their ego. It can even lead to divorce. So for me, my husband and I must agree before I build anything.

It is not acceptable
Adebisi Muftaudeen

It is not acceptable for a man to live in a house built by his wife without his consent, because it will be difficult for the man. The man, should do this not the other way round.

It is not acceptable in yoruba land
Funke Lawrence

In Yoruba land, this is not acceptable because the
man is the head of the family and he should be the one in charge. In my own opinion, if the woman seeks the approval of the man to build a house and he agrees; then there is no problem with that. But if he doesn’t know, then I will say this will lead to disagreement and there will be no trust at all. My husband must know before I do anything.

Culled from Punch

So dear NLers whatz ur own opinion?
Re: Should A Man Live In A House Built By His Wife? by Kanwulia: 5:02am On Oct 26, 2013
As you can READ, the respondents are from the EAST-WEST connector of NIGERIA where women are too TIMID/LAZZZZZZZY to WORK WITH THEIR OWN BRAINS AND HANDS! Or where CHAUVINISTIC/SEXXXXIST and extremely LOCCCAL dudes are toooooo insecure to get married to SELF-MADE WOMEN! grin

The reason we have women like BIANCA KEKE-OJUKWU getting married to re-cycled grand-daddy grooms in the name of love! Or we have women disrespect themselves by sitting in ABUSIVE marriages only to be divorced with ACID BY BOTH AREA-FADA OBAS AND LOCAL MECHANICS ALL OVER YORUBA/IGBO LANDS ESPECIALLY!!!

Primitive culture for MGBEKES AND ALATIKAS!!!! TWA!!! grin

Did you read from any EDO woman up there? cheesy

Why not?
Is he marrying me for my house? undecided

Some of us had houses before we got married!!! No joint ACCOUNTS OR HOUSES!!!

When we say "I don't". . . . Please, pack your "Walmart" bags and MOVE-OUT!!!

Simple!!! kiss

1 Like

Re: Should A Man Live In A House Built By His Wife? by Nobody: 11:04pm On Oct 26, 2013
Kanwulia: As you can READ, the responders are from the EAST-WEST connector of NIGERIA where women are too TIMID/LAZZZZZZZYVto WORK WITH THEIR OWN BRAINS AND HANDS! Or where CHAUVINISTIC/SEXXXXIST and extremely LOCCCAL dudes are toooooo insecure men who get married to SELF-MADE WOMEN! grin

The reason we have women like BIANCA KEKE-OJUKWU getting married to re-cycled grand-daddy grooms in the name of love! Or we have women disrespect themselves by sitting in ABUSIVE marriages only to be divorced by ACID BY BOTH AREA FADA OBAS AND LOCAL MECHANICS ALL OVER YORUBA/IGBO LANDS ESPECIALLY!!!

Why not?

Simple!!! kiss
abi o.they are waaaaaaaayyyyy toooo local.

I will rather not let such peeps touch me with a 1 million pole.their i.q is tooooooo low for me,like seriously

what the Bleep shocked

honestly,you've said it all,dont know what else to say.the women are so subservient mentally and physically,the local champions (males ) are so sexist,controlling and domineering.the comments are soooo disgusting.reminds me of when i went to buy some provisions in a provision store in one local/rural area and the man said i should bend down in a yoruba way before he accepts the money,i said why,he said because he is a man.it was too funny and annoying at the same time,my friend heard and said,its not his fault,becaue he hasnt left this village.i said will you take this money or not,he said bend down first to show reverence.i didnt even waste time to fling those packs of soap at him before driving off.those are the kinds of men/women that made such daft comment up there.they need some level of EXPOSURE so they dont see things in the eyes of their village/CHAUVENISM but in the eyes of CIVILITY.

abeg am out.women like me have no buisness with local low lives like this,jeez.smh

1 Like

Re: Should A Man Live In A House Built By His Wife? by ireneidiva(f): 7:02am On Oct 28, 2013
kulyie: abi o.they are waaaaaaaayyyyy toooo local.

I will rather not let such peeps touch me with a 1 million pole.their i.q is tooooooo low for me,like seriously

what the Bleep shocked

honestly,you've said it all,dont know what else to say.the women are so subservient mentally and physically,the local champions (males ) are so sexist,controlling and domineering.the comments are soooo disgusting.reminds me of when i went to buy some provisions in a provision store in one local/rural area and the man said i should bend down in a yoruba way before he accepts the money,i said why,he said because he is a man.it was too funny and annoying at the same time,my friend heard and said,its not his fault,becaue he hasnt left this village.i said will you take this money or not,he said bend down first to show reverence.i didnt even waste time to fling those packs of soap at him before driving off.those are the kinds of men/women that made such daft comment up there.they need some level of EXPOSURE so they dont see things in the eyes of their village/CHAUVENISM but in the eyes of CIVILITY.

abeg am out.women like me have no buisness with local low lives like this,jeez.smh

CIVIL WOMAN if only you actually sat down to read the post. A man does not build a house without the CONSENT of his wife likewise a woman. CONSENT is the keyword. If you have to build a house without telling your spouse, you should'nt even be married in the first place.

19 Likes

Re: Should A Man Live In A House Built By His Wife? by jmoore(m): 2:52pm On Oct 28, 2013
It is not a crime, but why should a woman build a house without the knowledge of the husband?

1 Like

Re: Should A Man Live In A House Built By His Wife? by alotofgrace(m): 2:52pm On Oct 28, 2013
is she not human?
***observation_did nairaland reset dia sava?
Re: Should A Man Live In A House Built By His Wife? by Nobody: 2:54pm On Oct 28, 2013
There is nafin bad abt it,bt d man sud av a plan B o,lyk a aus of hez own,cos if he offends d wyf lasan,na quick notice tinz!!!
Re: Should A Man Live In A House Built By His Wife? by dridowu: 2:56pm On Oct 28, 2013
If from d scratch i.e from buying of land to house roofing the man knows about it then 100% i support the man to lives with his nuclear lovely family in the house but if otherwise capital NO.
Ka fi otun we osi, ka fi osi we otun ni owo fi mo
Re: Should A Man Live In A House Built By His Wife? by greatgod2012(f): 2:58pm On Oct 28, 2013
The keyword here is WITH OR WITHOUT CONSENT of the man.
Re: Should A Man Live In A House Built By His Wife? by slap1(m): 2:59pm On Oct 28, 2013
Love is a mutual thing. If we love each other, why not?
Re: Should A Man Live In A House Built By His Wife? by Afam4eva(m): 2:59pm On Oct 28, 2013
The man is the head of the family but that doesn't mean that he must provide the house. it was never stated in any book that i know off. Infact, the fact that he's the head of the family makes it possible for him to move into his wife's house. There's nothing wrong with it. The only thing he has to be concerned about is the society where he lives. If he can live in his wife's house and not pay attention to what people say about it then he should go ahead. But if he's gonna be whining about it all the time then he should just respect popular wisdom and not move into his wife's house. Not that there's anything wrong with it.

1 Like

Re: Should A Man Live In A House Built By His Wife? by saintdeby(m): 3:01pm On Oct 28, 2013
hmnnnn
Re: Should A Man Live In A House Built By His Wife? by 80million1: 3:06pm On Oct 28, 2013
*speechless*
Re: Should A Man Live In A House Built By His Wife? by gingerbread(m): 3:10pm On Oct 28, 2013
@#80illion
All ur comments have been *speechess*. Dude I seriously Hope all is well.
Re: Should A Man Live In A House Built By His Wife? by Celepope: 3:12pm On Oct 28, 2013
Any man that lives in his wife's house built without his consent is not fit to live.Infact Achebe describe such a man as "Agbala" in Things Fall Apart.A day will come and the woman will ask her husband to start paying rent or move out especially when they have marital issues.That's not African.Infact its a curse for that man.That's why I love my dad.My mum can't buy any major thing in the house without his consent if not when he discovers it she must return it.As a typical Igbo man its an embarassment I don't know of any other tribe.Just imagine the woman walking up to the husband and telling him "honey next week we are moving to my new house and sorry I didn't tell you" and the man saying "its all good provided its our house there is no problem"God forbid.The day my wife tries that her parent should be ready to give me back my diary.Men that accept such are losers in all entity no matter how well they think they are doing in their various endevour.

2 Likes

Re: Should A Man Live In A House Built By His Wife? by stan4b(m): 3:12pm On Oct 28, 2013
If my wife will put my name as d owner of d house,den dere is no p.

1 Like

Re: Should A Man Live In A House Built By His Wife? by Jayses(m): 3:15pm On Oct 28, 2013
Should a woman live in a house built by a man ?
Re: Should A Man Live In A House Built By His Wife? by Xano(m): 3:17pm On Oct 28, 2013
ireneidiva:
CIVIL WOMAN if only you actually sat down to read the post. A man does not build a house without the CONSENT of his wife likewise a woman. CONSENT is the keyword. If you have to build a house without telling your spouse, you should'nt even be married in the first place.
thank you.

1 Like

Re: Should A Man Live In A House Built By His Wife? by olahero(m): 3:22pm On Oct 28, 2013
I can't, even if she already told before built it........ Girls are DESPERATE, if you act like a real HUSBAND chai your hear go full of badt words. What if without my CONSENT? I will monitor her before I rule on Her. IS NOT A GOOD THING, SHIKENAH!
Re: Should A Man Live In A House Built By His Wife? by Infomizer(m): 3:23pm On Oct 28, 2013
No big dealio..It'll be more sensemaking if I've got mine too (with tenants probably).
Re: Should A Man Live In A House Built By His Wife? by Fussbot: 3:26pm On Oct 28, 2013
Kanwulia: As you can READ, the responders are from the EAST-WEST connector of NIGERIA where women are too TIMID/LAZZZZZZZYVto WORK WITH THEIR OWN BRAINS AND HANDS! Or where CHAUVINISTIC/SEXXXXIST and extremely LOCCCAL dudes are toooooo insecure men who get married to SELF-MADE WOMEN! grin

The reason we have women like BIANCA KEKE-OJUKWU getting married to re-cycled grand-daddy grooms in the name of love! Or we have women disrespect themselves by sitting in ABUSIVE marriages only to be divorced by ACID BY BOTH AREA FADA OBAS AND LOCAL MECHANICS ALL OVER YORUBA/IGBO LANDS ESPECIALLY!!!

Why not?

Simple!!! kiss
what is dis 1 saying?

9 Likes

Re: Should A Man Live In A House Built By His Wife? by olahero(m): 3:27pm On Oct 28, 2013
Jayses: Should a woman live in a house built by a man ?
Google it nah, MY ANSWER IS IF SHE IS NOT ENOUGH TO BE A WIFE SHE SHOULD NOT.
Re: Should A Man Live In A House Built By His Wife? by chinanoni: 3:27pm On Oct 28, 2013
say waitin happen, me I no fit ooo. surely we go quarrel and she fit give me quick notice ooo. women, if she buy u cloth the whole world go know, not to talk of house
man wey try am na sorry be him name.
Re: Should A Man Live In A House Built By His Wife? by olahero(m): 3:29pm On Oct 28, 2013
Fussbot: what is dis 1 saying?
Her mouth is smelling, she is saying rubbish.... Note she ain't alone, she has a type, just read down.

5 Likes

Re: Should A Man Live In A House Built By His Wife? by thiefnubu(m): 3:30pm On Oct 28, 2013
no..... he should live in a building housed by his wife.....
Re: Should A Man Live In A House Built By His Wife? by Lawconfessor(f): 3:37pm On Oct 28, 2013
I like dis topic, cos i'm seriously thinking on somfin lik dat.

Honestly, i see nothing in it, and why would d huby refuse to live in it?

I totally support d man moving in to d house wit or witout his consent- depending on how d wife break d news about d house to him.

Wot if she builds the house to present to her huby on his birthday as an unexpected suprise package?- her intention/s shud be learnt first.

But i suppose dat it depends on how n in wot way he got to have d knowledge of d house.

2 Likes

Re: Should A Man Live In A House Built By His Wife? by Valto(m): 3:39pm On Oct 28, 2013
if the house was built with my consent : yes
If the house was built without my consent :NO
Re: Should A Man Live In A House Built By His Wife? by freecocoa(f): 3:49pm On Oct 28, 2013
Firstly, how does a woman go off building a house without the consent of her husband?

Or are we talking about a house she built before meeting the said husband?

I'm confused.
Re: Should A Man Live In A House Built By His Wife? by saintol(m): 3:50pm On Oct 28, 2013
The consent is very important abi. What if in a situation whereby the wife actually built the house as a surprise package for her husband's birthday, i mean as a gift, Sey make the man reject am ? Or a situation whereby the woman had finished the house and nw took her husband there and present the keys to him, should the man reject it? I've heard of a man who refused to consent with his wife's ambition to build a house all because the man in question can not boast of having land not to talk of nursing the ambition of building a house. The man na big time enemy of progress. U no get, u no go let person wey wan get get. The husband may leave there and he may not, it depends on the nature of there relationship and how the couple see each other.

1 Like

Re: Should A Man Live In A House Built By His Wife? by Afam4eva(m): 3:50pm On Oct 28, 2013
freecocoa: Firstly, how does a woman go off building a house without the consent of her husband?

I'm confused.
I guess the OP is assuming a house she had before getting married.
Re: Should A Man Live In A House Built By His Wife? by Celepope: 3:58pm On Oct 28, 2013
freecocoa: Firstly, how does a woman go off building a house without the consent of her husband?

I'm confused.
It happens.Way back when I was in the University I dated a girl that the mum was building a house and their dad did not know.All the children of the woman knew except their father.When I asked her why should the mum engage in such a shameless venture she simply said the mum was building it for them and not the man.Mind you their dad was more well to do and he built a fantastic house where they all live.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Building Collapse In Nigeria: 6 Early Warning Signs / Land Verification And Due Diligence #check / I Need A Plan Of 5-bedroom Flat Bungalow

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 70
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.