Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,425 members, 7,800,922 topics. Date: Thursday, 18 April 2024 at 09:00 AM

The 10 Things Nigerians Know About Ghanaians - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / The 10 Things Nigerians Know About Ghanaians (36569 Views)

Nigeria At 55: The 10 Biggest Cultural Groups In Nigeria / Meet The 10 Most Powerful Kings In Nigeria. / 10 Things Ghanaians Know About Nigerians (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Go Down)

The 10 Things Nigerians Know About Ghanaians by Ckariam: 6:42am On Oct 27, 2013
On the 1st of October 2012, I penned down the popular article “10 Things Ghanaians know about Nigerians”. That was not an imaginary composition rather a well researched topic. That article has sparked conflict, generated controversy and defiled the historical purpose. It is not surprising since there are unintended consequences to our choices.
Many have waited patiently for a rejoinder from me at least by sharing the Nigerian opinion about Ghanaians. To them such analytical reaction must emanate from the author of the revelation of what who knows about the other.

In no distant time, I will be completing my eight years in Ghana. I have preached here as a missionary, I have lived here as a Masters student, I have done business here, I have married from here, I have given birth to the best children on earth here, a daughter and a son. I love my wife, she is the best any man will have, she is Ghanaian and I am Nigerian, and our kids are Nigerian Ghanaian. I have shared this brief for a purpose, that I am as objective as I was when the first was published about Ghana perception of Nigerians. I have spoken well of both countries every where I find myself because in my home there is no border between Nigeria and Ghana. In my family just like few others, it is where Ghana and Nigeria reconciled.

The following reflect the true feelings of Nigerians about Ghanaians.

1. Ghanaians are peaceful people

One of the striking manifestations a Nigerian notices in his environmental transition in Ghana is the presence of cordial relationship and harmony. How Ghana acquired such peaceful climate? I have no idea. People hardly fight, there is always an amicable way to conflict resolution. The land is blessed with tranquility, Nigerians indeed feel relaxed here than in Nigeria, at least you do not get to worry about kidnappers, or terrorism. Nigerians coming from a background of loud noise- sounds of generator, sounds of sirens, sounds of bomb explosion etc appreciate Ghana’s peace. One thing that contributed so much to the peaceful state of Ghana is the working judiciary system. So nobody takes laws into their hands.

2. Ghanaians hate Nigerians

One of the orientation that a Nigerian will pass to his new brother in Ghana is to remind him that the people of Ghana do not really love Nigerians. The new entrant having seen one or two signs will concur to that traditional doctrine of enmity. Generally Nigerians in Ghana feel that they genuinely love their host country and does not understand the reason for their hatred towards them. Admiring a Nigerian comedian or movie star or musician or pastor is not same as loving his brothers and sisters resident in Ghana. Chinua Achebe in his personal history of Biafra, the book “There was a country” indicated that Ghana and Nigeria relationship has not always been cooperative. Such historical undertone confirms the feelings both sides nurse in their hearts. Sometimes without taming the feelings, such hatred do manifest in government policies targeting Nigerians and their interest in Ghana. Many Nigerians are insulted and mocked as if Ghana is without sin

3. Ghanaians worship white people

Present a black man and a white man before a Ghanaian and he will choose the later. Nigerians feel that Ghanaians want to copy everything western. That they tend to bow to a white man more, submit to his ordinances more than to African course. That contrary to what Kwame Nkrumah tried to to achieve with African Unity, his people lean towards the white than the blacks. Looking at this view from another angle, it implies that Ghanaians are not racists, but the danger is that a Ghanaian can sabotage his fellow blacks just to win favor in the eyes of a white man. That such mental weakness and appreciation of ones race as submissive to a superior one is annoying to Nigerians. A Nigerian man is proud of being Nigerian and black, he will promote his culture and not reason with racial inferiority.

4. Ghanaians obey the law

Have you ever observed how Ghanaians can be in a queue in a traffic? This is something that baffles Nigerians. A nation that obeys law maintains order. Nigeria is a country where law is designed for the poor. A chaotic society where injustice and corruption is glorified. Nigeria is a nation where the judiciary has failed in using law as a tool for development. Where youths cast doubt as to the reality of the separation of powers of the arms of government. To the Ghanaians, they are not yet fully law abiding but comparable to Nigeria, Ghana has done well. Ghana is not a country where laws are broken without penalty. Ghanaians are conscious of the law, and that even helps Nigerians who reside here. At least they are witnessing what it means to be law abiding and the true effect is that when a Nigerian returns back home, he is more law abiding than before and is naturally inclined to be an activist of justice.

5. Ghanaians are pretenders

Not just coming from the lips and heart of Nigerians but the people of Ghana do testify against her own people as pretenders. Ghana has capitalized on that good name in the international community as a good nation and will not dent it, instead they act as if all is well. Nigerians in Ghana have a strong opinion that Ghanians as mortals are bad like them but hide theirs. This could be a smart strategy to get what they want but it is equally a dangerous thing to deal with a chameleon. Be yourself and let the world know you for who you really are and not what you desire to become. Many youths of Ghana are into Internet scam popularly known as Sakawa, so 419 is not just a Nigeria thing. The debate as to who taught who will be left fair another day.

6. Ghanaians have fair complexioned people

Many Nigerians are surprised to see that Ghana has fair complexioned people. Their original notion is that they are all black skinned, not just dark or brown. To see a fair complexioned person, a Nigerian will first suspect the person to hail from Nigeria. Many white people married black Ghanians and their offsprings complexion is brighter. That is not the only reason, there are also naturally fair people here but majority of Ghanaians are very dark.

7. Ghanaians practice true Democratic Party system

In the democratic system of Ghana, a party stands for something. A party manifesto is known, a party’s dogma is in the heart of the followers. If you belong to a political party, you don’t just easily cross carpet. It is almost like a religion, and everyone knows what to expect when a particular party is in power. Party politics is not for convenience, you are born into a party, your family is in a party. Unlike in Nigeria where political parties don’t understand their purpose, and the people follow any with the money because no one trusts any party. You can win in any party and decamp later.

8. Ghanaian land lords cheat

A visit to rent control will reveal that many aggrieved Nigerians have resorted for justice against their mean landlords or, land lady as the case may be. Nigerians feel that because they are foreigners, greedy landlords try to take advantage of them. Many have similar experiences of cheating and deliberate defiance of housing contract.

9. Ghanaian education system is good

Nigerians love Ghana because of their Education system. It is easy to get admission to Ghana universities. If you pass your WAEC, then you can attend as far you can Afford the tuition. There is less strike, less exam malpractice, and absence of cultism menace. Nigerians schooling in Ghana schools are countless and can be seen in all levels. Certificates acquired from Ghana is also valued more than those from Nigerian universities.

10. Ghanaian electricity is better

Comparable to Nigeria where a community pays for transformer, or the accessories to connect electricity, Ghana electricity company functions. Ghana sees electricity as a source of generating revenue, it is business. Unlike before there used to be steady light for a long time but now the energy crisis has made things a little different. Still the situation in Ghana is better than Nigeria. It is just of late that stabilizers are being sold. Nigerians have vowed to return home once President Good luck Jonathan fixes this electricity problem.

There are of course many things that each nation know about the other, and it is also true that the ECOWAS treaty is not of full effect. Ghana and Nigeria relationship is not a choice, but destiny. The nature of their relationship is a normal but can improve.

Source: Chuks Ineh- chuksineh.com

8 Likes

Re: The 10 Things Nigerians Know About Ghanaians by EfemenaXY: 8:31am On Oct 27, 2013
Interesting post.

On the point about Ghanaians hating Nigerians, could this perhaps, have anything to do with the Ashanti war a couple of decades ago? And the ill-treatment they got from us Nigerians, when they came over seeking refuge??

We still say quite a lot of derogatory stuff to / about them without really realising it. Take for example the popular carrier bag called Ghana Must Go. Rude, isn't it?

10 Likes

Re: The 10 Things Nigerians Know About Ghanaians by ifyalways(f): 3:13pm On Oct 27, 2013
@OP,we are coming for you. Kwasia asem article angry

brb

6 Likes

Re: The 10 Things Nigerians Know About Ghanaians by RoyalPearl(f): 3:40pm On Oct 27, 2013
ifyalways: @OP,we are coming for you. Kwasia asem article angry

brb
Lol beyond kwasia asem!!
Re: The 10 Things Nigerians Know About Ghanaians by achimotan(m): 9:42pm On Oct 27, 2013
Praying gbaragbara collynzo2 and adamskutsy do not spoil your thread cool cool shocked
Re: The 10 Things Nigerians Know About Ghanaians by Bazil(m): 11:01pm On Oct 27, 2013
This is mostly true!!!!!especialy 3 and 8!!

2 Likes

Re: The 10 Things Nigerians Know About Ghanaians by torgbe(m): 7:24am On Oct 28, 2013
most are TRUE but....
closely watching

1 Like

Re: The 10 Things Nigerians Know About Ghanaians by torgbe(m): 7:27am On Oct 28, 2013
achimotan: Praying gbaragbara collynzo2 and adamskutsy do not spoil your thread cool cool shocked
those guyz only respond when derogatory words are used against their country...let's maintain some decorum here here
Re: The 10 Things Nigerians Know About Ghanaians by homesteady(m): 4:38pm On Oct 28, 2013
achimotan: Praying gbaragbara collynzo2 and adamskutsy do not spoil your thread cool cool shocked

grin those guys are very funny! Especially collynzo!
Re: The 10 Things Nigerians Know About Ghanaians by Jayses(m): 4:39pm On Oct 28, 2013
Ghanians own ghana must go bag hehehehehehe

7 Likes

Re: The 10 Things Nigerians Know About Ghanaians by everyday: 4:40pm On Oct 28, 2013
I know they are black

2 Likes

Re: The 10 Things Nigerians Know About Ghanaians by Lilnikee(m): 4:40pm On Oct 28, 2013
They also Love to Copy Nigeria.

30 Likes 1 Share

Re: The 10 Things Nigerians Know About Ghanaians by Lucaskid(m): 4:41pm On Oct 28, 2013
these is nt a place of advertisement mr olodo.ghanian re black trying to form posh mtcheew.

3 Likes

Re: The 10 Things Nigerians Know About Ghanaians by xynerise: 4:43pm On Oct 28, 2013
The ladies have big.............

4 Likes

Re: The 10 Things Nigerians Know About Ghanaians by Nobody: 4:44pm On Oct 28, 2013
they call every man charlie and their favourite food is kenke

9 Likes

Re: The 10 Things Nigerians Know About Ghanaians by adexsimply(m): 4:44pm On Oct 28, 2013
hmmmm
Re: The 10 Things Nigerians Know About Ghanaians by Lilimax(f): 4:45pm On Oct 28, 2013
No.11 should be: Ghanaians landmass is so small when compared to Nigeria.

3 Likes

Re: The 10 Things Nigerians Know About Ghanaians by alotofgrace(m): 4:45pm On Oct 28, 2013
11. Ghanaians are DUDU = BLACK

7 Likes

Re: The 10 Things Nigerians Know About Ghanaians by dridowu: 4:46pm On Oct 28, 2013
No 12 , Ghanians are so black than Nigerians and Azonto originate from our brothers

5 Likes

Re: The 10 Things Nigerians Know About Ghanaians by Elevation(m): 4:46pm On Oct 28, 2013
No.6 is sounding kinda creepy to me.

1 Like

Re: The 10 Things Nigerians Know About Ghanaians by Pelummy(f): 4:46pm On Oct 28, 2013
--
Re: The 10 Things Nigerians Know About Ghanaians by Gudintent: 4:46pm On Oct 28, 2013
When Ghanians say 'can you imagine' truth be told I can actually imagine grin

I love the way they say it in their accent wink
Re: The 10 Things Nigerians Know About Ghanaians by Nobody: 4:47pm On Oct 28, 2013
I only know one thing, and that's the Ghana_Must_Go Bag they packed thier bags and baggages in...... 2 HOURS LEFT! VOTE and WIN..ON MA SIGGY AND U WNT DIE YOUNG.
Re: The 10 Things Nigerians Know About Ghanaians by seedord247(m): 4:47pm On Oct 28, 2013
11. Ghanians are dark like jollof rice pot.

12. A lightskinned humanoid in ghana is an outcast.

13. Ghanian men shoes is longer than a cutlass. grin

16 Likes

Re: The 10 Things Nigerians Know About Ghanaians by Nobody: 4:48pm On Oct 28, 2013
ghanians truely dont like nigerians. Nigeria o ni baje o! GOD bless nigeria. things will soon be better in nigeria thus people would sit in their home. no place like home you know!
Re: The 10 Things Nigerians Know About Ghanaians by Nobody: 4:49pm On Oct 28, 2013
Re: The 10 Things Nigerians Know About Ghanaians by Dygeasy(m): 4:50pm On Oct 28, 2013
Re: The 10 Things Nigerians Know About Ghanaians by costandi(m): 4:50pm On Oct 28, 2013
This place go soon trun to war zone. Watch out cool

2 Likes

Re: The 10 Things Nigerians Know About Ghanaians by Nobody: 4:51pm On Oct 28, 2013
This is a nice post(to a great extent) from a man who married a ghanaian woman and have lived in ghana long enough to beat his chest and say he knows deep rooted knowledge about the two countries' lifestyle.

That said I wanna talk about numbers 2 and 3

On number 2, I think the feeling is mutual in the heart of both countries' citizens'. Same way nigerians feel that ghanaians hates them is the same way ghanaians think that nigerian hates them. The fights/wars are mostly fought on the internet and it's not that serious offline. People tend to exaggerate matters when it comes to nigeria vs ghana. From the tales I have heard offline, ghanaians live peacefully with nigerians. Though there might be seed of discord from time to time( hatred/enviness is bound to spring out from one individual or the other), I think the nigerians and ghanains live in concord more than unconcord

On number 3, is that not the same fate in nigeria and MOST AFRICAN COUNTRIES?. Go to SA, the whites lords over the blacks. Here in nigeria, the white man is taken like a demi god. Paid higher/earn higher in their positions. And nigerians copy the white men too. From lifestyle to fashion sense and what not. I think it's an african thingy it's pathetic!!. Black need to liberate themselves from the "slave mentality". Nothing wrong in copying the white men but we shouldn't loose our minds while copying them most importantly we shouldn't loose our "core values" upon which our "africanness" are built

Pelummy: e pele sir

So you quoted your fellow person's rant and then posted this one line bullshìt?. You're more stùpid than I give you credit for angry

4 Likes

Re: The 10 Things Nigerians Know About Ghanaians by bluejeff(m): 4:51pm On Oct 28, 2013
I don't think its hatred in the strict sense, just some healthy rivalry.

3 Likes

Re: The 10 Things Nigerians Know About Ghanaians by iamswizz(m): 4:52pm On Oct 28, 2013

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5)

Makeup Transformation Of New Olori Of Ikorodu Land(pics) / Oba Of Benin Gets 117-Year-Old Tortoises As Gifts / Epic Photo Of King Jaja Of Opobo

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.