Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,272 members, 7,807,916 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 10:37 PM

I Almost Wept When I Read ASUU's 2009 Agreement - Apc's Prof. Adeyeye - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / I Almost Wept When I Read ASUU's 2009 Agreement - Apc's Prof. Adeyeye (4914 Views)

Meet Apc’s Prof. Yemi Osinbajo Beautiful Daughter / APC Prof. Osinbajo In Ogun State Today (pictures) / My Dad Wept When Buhari Made Him His Running Mate - Tunde Bakare’s Daughter (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

I Almost Wept When I Read ASUU's 2009 Agreement - Apc's Prof. Adeyeye by yelsew80: 7:28am On Oct 27, 2013
The Academic Staff Union of Universities (ASUU) is gradually losing sympathy from the general public. Reason: The union’s perceived “un- implementable” agreement with the Federal Government in 2009, which has ground operations in the nation’s universities since July 1 is causing ripples. Last week, the Senate expressed grave concern on the protracted strike by ASUU and urged the university lecturers to return to the classroom while effort is being made to meet their demands. However, a number of Nigerians were angered last week by the revelation of details of ASUU’s agreement with the government in 2009. For many, the demands were not only outrageous but that such demands were neither made nor paid to lecturers in any part of the world. It was alleged that those who negotiated and signed the agreement on behalf of the late President Umaru Yar’Adua’s government at the time had thought that it would be immediately implemented and hoped to benefit from it. Otherwise, it has been alleged that hardly would anyone in his right senses agree to such demands. Against this background, Senate President David Mark expressed shock on the content of the agreement during a motion on the strike on Wednesday. According to him, those who signed that agreement with ASUU were not only unfair to the nation but were also a bunch of ignorant persons, “who did not know their right from their left.” Details of ASUU demands as contained in the agreement and read on the floor of the Senate last Wednesday showed that the lecturers were asking for maternity leave, housing loan, sick leave, injury pension, vehicle loan/car refurbishing loan, postgraduate supervision allowance, teaching practice/industrial supervision/ field trip allowances and honoraria for external moderation of undergraduate and postgraduate examinations. Other demands were postgraduate study grants, external assessment of readers or professors, call duty/clinical hazard, responsibility allowance, excess workload allowance, staff schools, provision of office accommodation and facilities, pension of academic staff, compulsory retirement age, formation of university pension fund administrator, National Health Insurance Scheme and funding of the universities.
In all, ASUU demanded for a whopping N1.5 trillion expected to be paid within three years of 2009 to 2011. A breakdown of the proposed payment plan is as follows: N472,031,575,919 in 2009; N497,331,778,701 in 2010 and N548,768,190,681 in 2011. ASUU also demanded that each state university shall require N3,680,018 per student for the period between 2009 and 2011. [b] To underscore the level of the perceived outrageous demand, Senator Sola Adeyeye (Osun Central), who is also a former lecturer, said he almost wept when he saw the agreement signed
by the Federal Government with ASUU, saying there is nowhere in the world where such allowances demanded are paid to lecturers. Adeyeye, a professor of Molecular Biology and senator on the platform of the AllProgressives Congress (APC), who ordinarily was expected to be sentimental in his submission, having been a one-time member of ASUU and simultaneously anopposition lawmaker, opted to put sentiment aside and hit the nail on the head. According to him, there is nowhere in the world where the central government is asked to fund state universities. He also added that it was whimsical for professors to be asking for allowances beforesupervising postgraduate students. “I asked ASUU during one of our meetings: is there any nation where any of such allowances is paid according to international standard? A typical teacher teaches two courses in a semester for three hours a week. You are paid salaries, why should you be paid again for these other things? Where in the world are lecturers paid examination allowances? Where is a professor paid allowances for supervising postgraduate students? Why is he a professor in the first place? What you cannot ask for in other spheres ought not be asked for here.
“The standard practice in the United States is that if you go on sabbatical, you ‘ll be paid for six months; if you spend more than that, you have to fund it yourself. Where in the world do you say the Federal Government should be involved in the funding of state universities?” Adeyeye queried. [/b] Still expressing shock on the content of the agreement, Mark said: “I was really wondering whether this was signed or it was just a proposal. But when he concluded, he said it was signed. It only shows the level of people the executive sent to go and negotiate on its behalf because ab initio, people must be told the truth, what can be accomplished and what cannot be accomplished…ASUU took advantage of the ignorance of those who were sent and simply just allowed this agreement to go on because it is obvious that this is going to be a very difficult piece of paper to implement.” At any rate, a number of people have argued that
if the quality of education will improve upon the implementation of the agreement, the federal government would have been encouraged to shift ground. But some educational consultants have alleged high level of negligence of duty by ASUU and submitted that the demand is in contrast with what obtains in the universities as there are allegations that lecturers are absent in most classes and busy consulting for foreign organisations while project supervision is haphazardly done. The end result –half-baked graduates are produced.

http://www.thisdaylive.com/articles/ASUU-s-arm-twisting-agreement/162728/

1 Like

Re: I Almost Wept When I Read ASUU's 2009 Agreement - Apc's Prof. Adeyeye by yelsew80: 7:42am On Oct 27, 2013
Something tells me if some kind of investigation is carried out to investigate the circumstances surrounding the FG's signing of that agreement something sinister would be discovered. There's just no way a literate person would read that agreement and not be shocked at its one sidedness and how outrageous it is - NO WAY! That the government was not able to extract a SINGLE area they can point to as their own side of the bargain makes it all the more curious. Perhaps ASUU must have consulted some high powered "dibia" to hoodwink Gamaliel Onosode and his group of 9 former vice chancellors and Pro Chancellors who Yaradua had selected to negotiate onbehalf of the FG.

6 Likes

Re: I Almost Wept When I Read ASUU's 2009 Agreement - Apc's Prof. Adeyeye by Nobody: 7:53am On Oct 27, 2013
This prof. is free-minded. Despite all his affiliations, he still stood on the side of truth. People like him are what Nigeria needs to move forward.

8 Likes

Re: I Almost Wept When I Read ASUU's 2009 Agreement - Apc's Prof. Adeyeye by Nobody: 8:38am On Oct 27, 2013
[size=45] tired of reading about ASUU & FG [/size]
Re: I Almost Wept When I Read ASUU's 2009 Agreement - Apc's Prof. Adeyeye by Nobody: 8:42am On Oct 27, 2013

At any rate, a number of people have
argued that if the quality of education will improve upon the implementation of the
agreement, the federal government would
have been encouraged to shift ground.
But some educational consultants have
alleged high level of negligence of duty
by ASUU and submitted that the demand
is in contrast with what obtains in the
universities as there are allegations that
lecturers are absent in most classes
and
busy consulting for foreign organisations
while project supervision is haphazardly
done. The end result –half-baked
graduates are produced.

Absolute truth. These ìdiots called ASUU do not deserve even the remuneration they receive currently, let alone what they demanded in the so-called agreement. The fools are often absent from class or report late. Even when they reluctantly show up, more than half of the time is spent discussing irrelevant topics or lamenting every lamentable thing. In any case, there is virtually nothing the clowns teach that students cannot learn by themselves via internet and other (re)sources.

I insist that the importance of lecturers is grossly overbloated. Teachers (NUT) are FAR more important if you ask me.

2 Likes

Re: I Almost Wept When I Read ASUU's 2009 Agreement - Apc's Prof. Adeyeye by safeact(m): 8:54am On Oct 27, 2013
Bereal247: This prof. is free-minded. Despite all his affilliations, he still stood on the side of truth. People like him are what Nigeria needs to move forward.
I was deeply moved by D̶̲̥̅e statement from D̶̲̥̅e Prof. Unlike other members of d party,APC, who is bent on criticising everthing about d fed govt without weighing it side by side. This man has stood his ground to say d truth Ãήϑ he must be recommended for that. Peace be to d man of truth.
If he said it to get a favour from d govt, i don't care about that, it is easy to say d truth cos some people must be hurt by it. Truth is truth, Ãήϑ truth must always be said!

2 Likes

Re: I Almost Wept When I Read ASUU's 2009 Agreement - Apc's Prof. Adeyeye by pomporiking: 8:55am On Oct 27, 2013
yelsew80: Something tells me if some kind of investigation is carried out to investigate the circumstances surrounding the FG's signing of that agreement something sinister would be discovered. There's just no way a literate person would read that agreement and not be shocked at its one sidedness and how outrageous it is - NO WAY! That the government was not able to extract a SINGLE area they can point to as their own side of the bargain makes it all the more curious. Perhaps ASUU must have consulted some high powered "dibia" to hoodwink Gamaliel Onosode and his group of 9 former vice chancellors and Pro Chancellors who Yaradua had selected to negotiate onbehalf of the FG.

What rubbish!!did fg use blind people during the negotiations..goodluck dey spend billions on food our senators are among the highest paid in the world the oil money wey dem dey share among themselves nko
Now the same bast*rd fg are making it sound like its ASUU's fault.they signed an agreement find how to settle with assu and stop all this propaganda

1 Like

Re: I Almost Wept When I Read ASUU's 2009 Agreement - Apc's Prof. Adeyeye by Nobody: 8:55am On Oct 27, 2013
Sack them and employ new people besides there are several umemployed graduates roaming the streets of Nigeria . Give them the necessary training and I'm sure they will outdo these redundant striking lecturers.

5 Likes

Re: I Almost Wept When I Read ASUU's 2009 Agreement - Apc's Prof. Adeyeye by Nobody: 8:57am On Oct 27, 2013
pompori king:

What rubbish!!did fg use blind people during the negotiations..goodluck dey spend billions on food our senators are among the highest paid in the world the oil money wey dem dey share among themselves nko
Now the same bast*rd fg are making it sound like its ASUU's fault.they signed an agreement find how to settle with assu and stop all this propaganda

Put politics aside, those demands are ridiculous !

4 Likes

Re: I Almost Wept When I Read ASUU's 2009 Agreement - Apc's Prof. Adeyeye by kasiem(m): 9:09am On Oct 27, 2013
~Bluetooth:

Sack them and employ new people besides there are several umemployed graduates roaming the streets of Nigeria . Give them the necessary training and I'm sure they will outdo these redundant striking lecturers.
the first day that i will be liking bluetooth. a great advice from u
Re: I Almost Wept When I Read ASUU's 2009 Agreement - Apc's Prof. Adeyeye by Nobody: 9:22am On Oct 27, 2013
ASUU will allow their stubbornness lead them Astray

Sack or dissolved
Re: I Almost Wept When I Read ASUU's 2009 Agreement - Apc's Prof. Adeyeye by kasiem(m): 9:25am On Oct 27, 2013
they should cooking, smoking, sleeping and sex allowances
Re: I Almost Wept When I Read ASUU's 2009 Agreement - Apc's Prof. Adeyeye by alubeze1(m): 9:39am On Oct 27, 2013
The demands are outrageous, no doubt. But if our political leaders are the highest paid in the world, then why can't our educationist also be the highest paid in world? After all, education is the bedrock of every society, and if the workers are paid well, they will be motivated to teach well. All thesame, ASUU and fg should renegotiate.

4 Likes

Re: I Almost Wept When I Read ASUU's 2009 Agreement - Apc's Prof. Adeyeye by kasiem(m): 9:54am On Oct 27, 2013
alubeze1: The demands are outrageous, no doubt. But if our political leaders are the highest paid in the world then why can't our educationist also be ther highest paid in world? After all, education is the bedrock of every society, and if the w www.thisdaylive.com/articles/ASUU-s-arm-twisting-agreement/162728/ orkers are paid well, they will be motivated to teach well. All thesame, ASUU and fg should renegotiate.
let them join politics nah

1 Like

Re: I Almost Wept When I Read ASUU's 2009 Agreement - Apc's Prof. Adeyeye by omenka(m): 9:56am On Oct 27, 2013
Agreement na agreement!!!
They should collect the loots from Alams, Ibori, Obj, Atiku, IBB, Abacha, Timipre, Patience Jonathan, David Mark, Dan Etete, Aondokaa, and co, and pay up the damn allowances, and fund the damn institutions!
Re: I Almost Wept When I Read ASUU's 2009 Agreement - Apc's Prof. Adeyeye by taharqa: 10:04am On Oct 27, 2013
I am highly impressed by Prof Adeyeye; and it is honestly relieving that my faith in the Sane-ness and objectivity of the opposition in Nigeria has not been completely destroyed. That a few persons can still put the nation before other Considerations and Persuasions.

Like Prof Adeyeye, I was an early supporter of ASUU both here on NL and offline, cos of a longstanding Principle of mine: parties should keep AGREEMENTS freely entered into by both parties. But I have had to change my view in the last one month as I began to realise the details off this truly INCREDIBLE Agreement and Govt's concessions to ASUU.

And, 2 things have become clear by now: those Govt officials who openly signed that Agreement the way it is are truly IJIOTS of the very 1st rate; AND, as I was telling someone recently, the only difference between today's ASUU and Boko Haram is that one of them kill (apart from that, both are EXTREMIST in their demands and outlooks).

May God help this country.

1 Like

Re: I Almost Wept When I Read ASUU's 2009 Agreement - Apc's Prof. Adeyeye by chreldb(m): 10:23am On Oct 27, 2013
alubeze1: The demands are outrageous, no doubt. But if our political leaders are the highest paid in the world, then why can't our educationist also be the highest paid in world? After all, education is the bedrock of every society, and if the workers are paid well, they will be motivated to teach well. All thesame, ASUU and fg should renegotiate.
. Very reasonable comment. If the senator professor almost wept when he saw the demands by ASUU then he should have committed suiside when he saw his first paycheck as a senator. If that statement was coming from anybody else I could have seen reason with it. But not from a bunch of disgusting hypocrites earning criminal salaries. And they have the audacity to make comparison with USA when their wages are the highest in the world in one of the poorest countries on the planet. Granted some aspects of the allowances ASUU is asking for are outrageous but what stops them from ignoring those allowances and improving infrastructure and revitalising the Universities to the benefit of every Nigerian citizen. Or do they also consider that outrageous? May the judgement of posterity descend on them and their generation in a brutal manner. If I am wrong in my assertions then may it be well with them.

9 Likes

Re: I Almost Wept When I Read ASUU's 2009 Agreement - Apc's Prof. Adeyeye by kasiem(m): 10:25am On Oct 27, 2013
taharqa:
I am highly impressed by Prof Adeyeye; and it is honestly relieving that my faith in the Sane-ness and objectivity of the opposition in Nigeria has not been completely destroyed. That a few persons can still put the nation before other Considerations and Persuasions.

Like Prof Adeyeye, I was an early supporter of ASUU both here on NL and offline, cos of a longstanding Principle of mine: parties should keep AGREEMENTS freely entered into by both parties. But I have had to change my view in the last one month as I began to realise the details off this truly INCREDIBLE Agreement and Govt's concessions to ASUU.

And, 2 things have become clear by now: those Govt officials who openly signed that Agreement the way it is are truly IJIOTS of the very 1st rate; AND, as I was telling someone recently, the only difference between today's ASUU and Boko Haram is that one of them kill (apart from that, both are EXTREMIST in their demands and outlooks).

May God help this country.

have u forgotten that the other kill intellectual and future?
Re: I Almost Wept When I Read ASUU's 2009 Agreement - Apc's Prof. Adeyeye by kasiem(m): 10:28am On Oct 27, 2013
omenka: Agreement na agreement!!!
They should collect the loots from Alams, Ibori, Obj, Atiku, IBB, Abacha, Timipre, Patience Jonathan, David Mark, Dan Etete, Aondokaa, and co, and pay up the damn allowances, and fund the damn institutions!
why did gowon fail aburi agreement and u guys are praising him for that?

1 Like

Re: I Almost Wept When I Read ASUU's 2009 Agreement - Apc's Prof. Adeyeye by ayewosa(m): 10:32am On Oct 27, 2013
if am the president I won't implement that agreement, I will insist on renegotiation. The funny thing is that the person who ASUU claim signed the agreement is the same person that will implement it now. It is said that president Jonathan was part of the FG committee that signed the agreement. Is a shame all was done to luth money away from federal government account. am still a student forget about the fact that I want this strike to end like yesterday but I won't still encourage FG to implement this rubbish let ASUU resume back to school while FG and ASUU review this agreement. Is a total waste of funds if these money is giving to ASUU and won't notice any changes in the education sector of this country. The only thing we are goin to see is lecturers buying more cars and building more houses. Forget if my father is a lecture I won't still side ASUU, I prefer clean money, money earned with respect

3 Likes

Re: I Almost Wept When I Read ASUU's 2009 Agreement - Apc's Prof. Adeyeye by gregg2: 10:44am On Oct 27, 2013
All the members of FG delegation to that negotiation team should be investigated.
Re: I Almost Wept When I Read ASUU's 2009 Agreement - Apc's Prof. Adeyeye by Demdem(m): 11:01am On Oct 27, 2013
[b]If not for Foolish and miserable leaders of which Jonathan was a chief player when the agreement was signed we wouldn't be where we are today.

As beautiful as the agreement is i have always been uncomfortable with FG funding States universities (that is my only issue with the agreement). I wont Blame ASUU because as a Union, the interest of its members and constituencies comes first.
In our individual lives, when we negotiate, we make sure we position and present ourselves on a positive footing to get the best and that ASUU simply did and should be praised for doing a good job. They caught the killer party by the balls.

Having said this, an agreement is an agreement. The idea that its not implementable is pure rubbish. As long as our govt continue to have enough resources for frivolities like food, cars, gates, foreign trips, presidential jets, NASS expenses, executive recklessness running into billions yearly, only the extremely foolish will believe such crap.
UNICEF recommends 26% of a country's budget to education, as it is today we are not even close to half of that. For me, 20% to education should be the starting point.

Here to me is the way foward from this stalemate.

1) Considering the fact that our govt has to live to his words and responsible, Jonathan should immediately implement the full details of the agreement since day 1 when it was signed till Oct 31st 2013. The govt is bound to abide by its signed agreement. u dont change the goal post when the play is ongoing.

2) ASUU should immediately call off the strike as soon as (1) is done.

3) Jonathan should immediately call for re-negotiation of the FG/ASUU agreement to reflect current global practices and country's capabilities.

(3) should never be implemented before (2) because it will cause a very bad precedence and (2) should never be considered before (1) because the FG will term his citizens has fools. they all should follow sequentially as i have proposed.

Hopefully by the time we get to (3) Jonathan will ensure that far more smarter peeps than him will be employed to negotiate on behalf of the FG. ASUU will always have good representations no doubt.[/b]
Re: I Almost Wept When I Read ASUU's 2009 Agreement - Apc's Prof. Adeyeye by Demdem(m): 11:03am On Oct 27, 2013
kasiem: why did gowon fail aburi agreement and u guys are praising him for that?

the failure led to a war and eventually the weaker link got dealt with.
The failure of implementing this agreement has currently led to a stalemate. Time will tell who will bulged first.
Re: I Almost Wept When I Read ASUU's 2009 Agreement - Apc's Prof. Adeyeye by Demdem(m): 11:12am On Oct 27, 2013
gregg2: All the members of FG delegation to that negotiation team should be investigated.

lets even agree that the negotiating team did a terrible job, what about the presidency that signed it? What about the Presidency that signed the MOU with ASUU last year when they went on strike and called off after the MOU? doesnt this suggest to u that these lots are fools.
Re: I Almost Wept When I Read ASUU's 2009 Agreement - Apc's Prof. Adeyeye by yelsew80: 11:13am On Oct 27, 2013
Demdem: [b]If not for Foolish and miserable leaders of which Jonathan was a chief player when the agreement was signed we wouldn't be where we are today.

As beautiful as the agreement is i have always been uncomfortable with FG funding States universities (that is my only issue with the agreement). I wont Blame ASUU because as a Union, the interest of its members and constituencies comes first.
In our individual lives, when we negotiate, we make sure we position and present ourselves on a positive footing to get the best and that ASUU simply did and should be praised for doing a good job. They caught the killer party by the balls.

Having said this, an agreement is an agreement. The idea that its not implementable is pure rubbish. As long as our govt continue to have enough resources for frivolities like food, cars, gates, foreign trips, presidential jets, NASS expenses, executive recklessness running into billions yearly, only the extremely foolish will believe such crap.
UNICEF recommends 26% of a country's budget to education, as it is today we are not even close to half of that. For me, 20% to education should be the starting point.

Here to me is the way foward from this stalemate.

1) Considering the fact that our govt has to live to his words and responsible, Jonathan should immediately implement the full details of the agreement since day 1 when it was signed till Oct 31st 2013. The govt is bound to abide by its signed agreement. u dont change the goal post when the play is ongoing.

3) Jonathan should immediately call for re-negotiation of the FG/ASUU agreement to reflect current global practices and country's capabilities.

(3) should never be implemented before (2) because it will cause a very bad precedence and (2) should never be considered before (1) because the FG will term his citizens has fools. they all should follow sequentially as i have proposed.

Hopefully by the time we get to (3) Jonathan will ensure that far more smarter peeps than him will be employed to negotiate on behalf of the FG. ASUU will always have good representations no doubt.[/b]

Since the day you came crying into this world you've never made sense! Your arguments in totality are always an insult to literacy, even the significance of the most basic arguments somehow manages to dodge your fish brain, Demdemoron go get help!

15 Likes

Re: I Almost Wept When I Read ASUU's 2009 Agreement - Apc's Prof. Adeyeye by 1MCN: 11:15am On Oct 27, 2013
Prof Ukachukwu Awuzie (now IMSU AgVC) was the ASUU national president in 2009 when the said agreement was negotiated and signed. This was at a period of very uncommon political tension in Nigeria, the prof and his colleagues took an undue advantage of the situation on groUnd and sliced out such an outrageous agreement.

The strike action having lasted for several weeks and also been recurrent over the past, the then President Umaru Musa Yar'Adua (if he was actually the one) may have given the FG negotiation team the mandate of agreeing with whatever that ASUU comes up with so that they can find a political solution to the em passe. Gamaliel and his team sought for that which was expedient, namely, to agree and to make promise so that ASUU returned to class.

How could ASUU ask for over 500bn in one year, 1.5tr in just 3years?! Even our oppositions know that this is an impossible demand! This administration is said to have funded the universities in Nigeria more than any other administration in the past.

What I see here is that ASUU's intransigience may lead them to a point where everything gets exposed and they lose public sympathy and there'll be bomerang against them.

Although the president had at the last media chat said there was a political angle to the ASUU problem, nobody seem to have cared to probe into that hint.

Bad as it is for our education system, ASUU needs to understand that problem of the system is not only MONEY.

9 Likes

Re: I Almost Wept When I Read ASUU's 2009 Agreement - Apc's Prof. Adeyeye by Demdem(m): 11:18am On Oct 27, 2013
yelsew80:
Since the first day you came crying into this world you've never made sense! Your arguments in totality are always an insult to literacy, even the most significance of the most basic arguments somehow manages to dodge your fish brain, Demdemoron go get help!

Wesfool, that u arent smart enough to understand what u qouted isnt the fault of anyone. A mad man never admits he is mad. ur case is irredemeably pathetic. U are eternally doom.

1 Like

Re: I Almost Wept When I Read ASUU's 2009 Agreement - Apc's Prof. Adeyeye by Reptyle(m): 11:18am On Oct 27, 2013
Seems even Mr. president and Mr Senate President were all parties to the 2009 agreement and also played a key role in its review last year.

http://thenationonlineng.net/new/ASUU-jonathan-party-pact/

Strange to see all these key players feigning ignorance of the content of that agreement barely 5 years after agreeing to it. Perhaps GEJ did not know at the time that the onus to implement it would fall on him at the time.

Poetic justice grin cheesy grin
Re: I Almost Wept When I Read ASUU's 2009 Agreement - Apc's Prof. Adeyeye by taharqa: 11:21am On Oct 27, 2013
Demdem: [b]If not for Foolish and miserable leaders of which Jonathan was a chief player when the agreement was signed we wouldn't be where we are today.

Here to me is the ay foward from this stalemate.

1) Considering the fact that our govt has to live to his words and responsible, Jonathan should immediately implement the full details of the agreement since day 1 when it as signed till Oct 31st 2013. The govt is bound to abide by its signed agreement

3) Jonathan should immediately call for re-negotiation of the FG/ASUU agreement to reflect current global practices.

(3) should never be implemented before (2) because it ill cause a very bad precedence and (2) should never be considered before (1) because the FG will term his citizens has fools. they all should follow sequentially as i have proposed.

Why do you feel the need to always write you comments in BOLD whenever you want to write here? Why do you always feel the need to SHOUT?? Do you somehow believe that makes the fooolishness you usually spew more Sexy and maybe even a little bit Reasonable?? Cos it doesn't. It only enhances it.

By the way, GEJ was NEVER a part of the Negotiating team that drew out that 2009 Agreement Nor was the one that approved it. I know you can possibly sleep without GEJ Nor properly function without him, but keep him out of this your RAT this morning....

1 Like

Re: I Almost Wept When I Read ASUU's 2009 Agreement - Apc's Prof. Adeyeye by Demdem(m): 11:22am On Oct 27, 2013
We all keep referring to agreement signed in 2009, what about the MOU signed last year with the lecturers before they called off their strike?
Why is no one referring to such. That MOU recognizes the existence of the agreement and Govt readiness to implement it. Jonathan signed this.

2 Likes

Re: I Almost Wept When I Read ASUU's 2009 Agreement - Apc's Prof. Adeyeye by KwoiZabo(m): 11:23am On Oct 27, 2013
alubeze1: The demands are outrageous, no doubt. But if our political leaders are the highest paid in the world, then why can't our educationist also be the highest paid in world? After all, education is the bedrock of every society, and if the workers are paid well, they will be motivated to teach well. All the same, ASUU and fg should renegotiate.
In as much as i don't support the huge pay of our political office holders, its very risky and expensive to run for political office in Nigeria so their pay is somewhat justified, moreso if these lecturers are not satisfied, they could also take the risk and run for politics so they too can get jumbo pay, nobody is holding them. The higher he risk the more the reward. moreso if we spend all the money on university which company will graduates work when power supply is still comatose.

1 Like

Re: I Almost Wept When I Read ASUU's 2009 Agreement - Apc's Prof. Adeyeye by icon8: 11:25am On Oct 27, 2013
Talking about what is good for the goose... Prof Adeyeye should also tell us where in the world parliamentarians are paid the outrageous/ridiculous allowances he earns as a senator of the Federal Republic of Nigeria, or forever remain silent! He who comes to equity must come with clean hands. I also wept when I read our senators' wage bill!

6 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Most Liked Post On Nairaland / Has Fashola Performed? / Fayose Impeachmemt:big Lesson For Ekiti State Judges

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 94
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.