Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,443 members, 7,808,585 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 01:46 PM

PHCN: Consumers To Pay More As New Owners Move To Recover Funds - Business (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / PHCN: Consumers To Pay More As New Owners Move To Recover Funds (20755 Views)

Consumer Protection Council Orders Dstv To Compensate Consumers / Nigerians To Pay More For Garri, Yam, Others In Coming Weeks – Report / AMCON Transfers Enterprise, Mainstreet Banks To New Owners (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: PHCN: Consumers To Pay More As New Owners Move To Recover Funds by oluwaisaac(m): 7:40pm On Oct 29, 2013
BabaAlabi: It's only in Nigeria that subsidy is removed without any form of support for the people.
It's only in Nigeria bikes are banned without alternatives.
It's only in Nigeria electricity bills are increased without electricity being available.
#Iweepformycountry.
I regret being a Nigerian...the future is bleak here...except God singles u out!
Re: PHCN: Consumers To Pay More As New Owners Move To Recover Funds by tundebj(m): 7:46pm On Oct 29, 2013
yankyone: If d light wl be there for us.....no problem
@ all, what i believe we should fight is the demonic way they have been exploiting us. Make every body get meter first. Then lets see if the light wl nt improve. If mtn no suply signal for 5mins, u wl see their tech ppl runninh like craze. I no they ar watchn dis thread because this is d real voice of Nigeria so let us tell them straight, NO LIGHT, NO PAY
Re: PHCN: Consumers To Pay More As New Owners Move To Recover Funds by kemifemi: 7:53pm On Oct 29, 2013
2ru-talk:
The main issue is constant power supply. Privatization always comes with hike in prices in the short-run. However, competition will certainly bring down the prices in the long-run, a case study of what happened in the Telecom industry at the post-privatization era. My only annoyance is total lack of power supply in Satellite Town, Lagos. Ever since I moved to this area 4yrs ago, there has been perennial power problem till date. Even when others are celebrating 20hrs/24hrs power supply in some quarters, Satellite town can not boast of 1hr power supply in a day. Worstill, you have to stay in darkness from Monday to Sunday. It is so pathetic here in Satellite Town. And it appears there is no end in sight to this malady.
Re: PHCN: Consumers To Pay More As New Owners Move To Recover Funds by Nobody: 7:56pm On Oct 29, 2013
forget money first may get light. more than 17 years of m life i never enjoy 2 hours steady electricity. sometimes a week no light. dat is half of my ag. na country be dis soooooooooooooooooo?
Re: PHCN: Consumers To Pay More As New Owners Move To Recover Funds by iamdsam: 7:57pm On Oct 29, 2013
This isn't no problem if only the electricity supply would be constant. Most Nigerians are ready to pay any cost for electricity if it's constant. It would have a lot of positive effects in our economy, businesses and the country at large. We're ready to pay the price for constant electricity supply. Bye bye to epileptic power supply!
Re: PHCN: Consumers To Pay More As New Owners Move To Recover Funds by RedCard1(m): 7:58pm On Oct 29, 2013
It's not a matter of how much we pay but how well we will get the power supply. Are they ready to give us power for @least 22 hours a day?
Re: PHCN: Consumers To Pay More As New Owners Move To Recover Funds by codedguy1(m): 8:28pm On Oct 29, 2013
The issues here is what is commensurate with ur consumption.

We should not be exploited because we are given light 247m we have been so bastardize and sodomised that we are ready to accept anything.

A standard flat with one fridge, 1 deep freezer, 5 ceiling fans, 3 ACs, 1 tv, dispenser etc am trying to describe a standard flat should not pay more than 5k/month for 247 light.

So if eg ikeja Distribution coy has 1million houses on their platform, its 1m x 5k every month = 5billion a month, that one never do them for the business to survive. Ofcourse 2bedroom, single bedroom will pay less and duplexes and mansions will pay more depending on the number of equipment and how much electricity they consume.

There more than 5million houses or shops etc in lagos alone.
Re: PHCN: Consumers To Pay More As New Owners Move To Recover Funds by Nobody: 8:58pm On Oct 29, 2013
lastpage:

Even where they are seriously involved, it is the government that still owns the "generation aspect" of it (Nuclear Power Plants, Hydro Dams, Coal-fired Stations, e.t.c) .....

.. while the "private investors" are limited to "Distribution and Retailing aspects" of it as they buy the electricity in bulk from Government owned Plants (at competitive prices at times) for onward distribution to our homes while we pay them directly for it.

Lastpage!

This is not true. In the United States, every aspect of the power system is owned by private companies from generation, transmission through distribution. Nuclear power plants and coal fired power plants are privately owned in the US. The only exception is hydro in which New York (e.g Niagara Falls) and the federal government (e.g. hoover dam) generate power. Everything else is private. In many other countries (e.g. Chile, Germany etc) the power system is privately owned and run.
Re: PHCN: Consumers To Pay More As New Owners Move To Recover Funds by Nobody: 9:04pm On Oct 29, 2013
bigass: people should stop comparing telcoms to power. consumers do not have the luxury of changing distribution company. if you live in ojodu berger Lagos you will be under Ikeja Disco if they mess up you have not choice at all

You cannot change distribution companies because they are natural monopolies. "If they mess up" as you say, they lose money since they do not get paid for power not supplied. Estimated bills are used under the present government run, unaccountable scheme. I can be sure private gencos will want to quickly roll out prepaid meters for efficient billing.
Re: PHCN: Consumers To Pay More As New Owners Move To Recover Funds by Amokwe(m): 10:04pm On Oct 29, 2013
PHCN is already collecting N750 monthly called meter maintenance fee, hope this fraud will be scraped by the new operators before any increment on electricity tariff. - its like GSM operators charging you fee for owning a handset. Nigerians will battle them this time...
Re: PHCN: Consumers To Pay More As New Owners Move To Recover Funds by Nobody: 11:12pm On Oct 29, 2013
BabaAlabi: It's only in Nigeria that subsidy is removed without any form of support for the people.
It's only in Nigeria electricity bills are increased without electricity being available.
#Iweepformycountry.
zDats why u have to make heaven
Re: PHCN: Consumers To Pay More As New Owners Move To Recover Funds by yomanovic: 11:52pm On Oct 29, 2013
Keneking: Ok 2 tc

What do you expect? At least in Lagos; ikeja, VI and yaba would have constant power because they can pay... Investors would make the necessary investments in these localities. However, the people at Iju, Ikorodu, Matogun etc esp., in those areas that do not fall in the master plan of the state can continue to leave in darkness moreover, they can not pay either.

This is a very crude thinking.
Re: PHCN: Consumers To Pay More As New Owners Move To Recover Funds by yomanovic: 11:52pm On Oct 29, 2013

What do you expect? At least in Lagos; ikeja, VI and yaba would have constant power because they can pay... Investors would make the necessary investments in these localities. However, the people at Iju, Ikorodu, Matogun etc esp., in those areas that do not fall in the master plan of the state can continue to leave in darkness moreover, they can not pay either.

This is a very crude thinking. Abeg try take your brain to the refinery.
Re: PHCN: Consumers To Pay More As New Owners Move To Recover Funds by yomanovic: 12:00am On Oct 30, 2013
2ru-talk:
The main issue is constant power supply. Privatization always comes with hike in prices in the short-run. However, competition will certainly bring down the prices in the long-run, a case study of what happened in the Telecom industry at the post-privatization era. My only annoyance is total lack of power supply in Satellite Town, Lagos. Ever since I moved to this area 4yrs ago, there has been perennial power problem till date. Even when others are celebrating 20hrs/24hrs power supply in some quarters, Satellite town can not boast of 1hr power supply in a day. Worstill, you have to stay in darkness from Monday to Sunday. It is so pathetic here in Satellite Town. And it appears there is no end in sight to this malady.

I always wonder some of you Nigerians that even claim to be educated think in linear direction. Is commodity of electrity the same thing with the commodity of telecoms?
Stop comparing them, please. They are not the same thing. It is only one electricity company that can serve one area on like gsm that you can receive various network in a single place.
Re: PHCN: Consumers To Pay More As New Owners Move To Recover Funds by AZeD1(m): 12:16am On Oct 30, 2013
kalokalo:

You cannot change distribution companies because they are natural monopolies. "If they mess up" as you say, they lose money since they do not get paid for power not supplied. Estimated bills are used under the present government run, unaccountable scheme. I can be sure private gencos will want to quickly roll out prepaid meters for efficient billing.
Actually, if i bought one of the distribution companies, selling to companies would be my first option. E.g as at now, Nigeria does not generate the required electricity for the whole country so if i bought the Eko distribution company, i'd make sure V.I, Ikoyi and Lagos Island have light 24/7 before i supply places like Badore and Epe.
Re: PHCN: Consumers To Pay More As New Owners Move To Recover Funds by yomanovic: 12:16am On Oct 30, 2013
benom:

Keep on weeping. It is only in Nigeria that we want everything from the government.

Man of funny philosophy. Why is it that it is only Nigerian government that has shamelessly decleared that they cant provide basic amenities for Nigerians nowithstanding the tax that Nigerians pay? Why are they recognised as government who you yourself have voted into the position because you want them to deliver? Do citizens of SA have to dig well to fetch water? Pay tax and tenament rates and yet spend so much on repairs of vehicles to drive to and from the houses they have built themselves when the road is bad and yet pay tenament rate?

1 Like

Re: PHCN: Consumers To Pay More As New Owners Move To Recover Funds by eightsin(m): 7:06am On Oct 30, 2013
#Iweepformycountry.

Don't just weep. Do something to help your country.
Re: PHCN: Consumers To Pay More As New Owners Move To Recover Funds by jpphilips(m): 8:42am On Oct 30, 2013
OlowoB: Of cos dat is going 2 be d normal thng initially but as more and more private investors come on board, d prices would go down.

All Nigerians want is steady power supply.

who told u?
Re: PHCN: Consumers To Pay More As New Owners Move To Recover Funds by jpphilips(m): 8:49am On Oct 30, 2013
2ru-talk:

wot do u know? the take over and outright sale was a closed loop, because they are operating on fixed infrastructure, there is bound to be no competition at least for the next 20yrs.
Power and telecoms are two parallel lines.
Re: PHCN: Consumers To Pay More As New Owners Move To Recover Funds by estyvino(m): 8:53am On Oct 30, 2013
raytony: Ehn, shebi after dem don cut am I go go hang my wire back.

E be like say you dey leave for my area...
Re: PHCN: Consumers To Pay More As New Owners Move To Recover Funds by Nobody: 8:55am On Oct 30, 2013

Am trying to see wisdom in your point. I dont think Thats the way forward bro. U sound kinda selfish. Our concerns is supposed to be, a policy that would benefit both the rich and the poor, everyone is supposed to be carried along, whether in the master plan or not... And we talking Nigeria here, not lagos alone!
Re: PHCN: Consumers To Pay More As New Owners Move To Recover Funds by idupaul: 9:45am On Oct 30, 2013
2ru-talk:
The main issue is constant power supply. Privatization always comes with hike in prices in the short-run. However, competition will certainly bring down the prices in the long-run, a case study of what happened in the Telecom industry .

Oga please can you explain how competition will apply in this scenario. A quick look at the power privatization model here shows that Disco's have been set up as regional monopolies meaning they will be no option to change to at street level except you want to pack t another location where another Disco holds sway. The verdict is that since disco's would hold sway with a defined market in a monopolitic role tariffs will have to be high and will tend to rise as power firms fight on the balance sheets to increase profitability in a bid to make their investors happy.. To stop this expected wanton rise in tarriffs the govt will have to come in and peg tarrifs at a price fair enough to both the consumers and disco's .
Re: PHCN: Consumers To Pay More As New Owners Move To Recover Funds by jpphilips(m): 10:27am On Oct 30, 2013
A-ZeD:

How will the competition work? When Ikeja distribution company increases tariff, you would move your house to the Eko distribution company jurisdiction or you want build your own distribution cable from the Ibadan zone?

please don't mind him, most of these toddlers don't even know how the power sector works.
Re: PHCN: Consumers To Pay More As New Owners Move To Recover Funds by jpphilips(m): 10:33am On Oct 30, 2013
2ru-talk:

That some individuals bought the distribution companies in various zones does not mean other investors cannot invest in the power sector. That is the main feature of privatization. Granted that so many Nigerians are not innovative, it is practically possible for individuals to build their own power plants, provided they have the capital to do so. This is the point of departure between Monopoly and market driven economy (Privatization).

Tell that to lagos state and rivers state governors
Re: PHCN: Consumers To Pay More As New Owners Move To Recover Funds by baba11(m): 12:14pm On Oct 30, 2013
Give us light first!
Re: PHCN: Consumers To Pay More As New Owners Move To Recover Funds by willyray(m): 3:34pm On Oct 30, 2013
good job
[img]http:///ogPF/.jpg[/img][img]http:///ogPN/.jpg[/img]
Re: PHCN: Consumers To Pay More As New Owners Move To Recover Funds by foleyx: 11:18pm On Oct 30, 2013
I pity my country people. its sad that some nigerians actually think that an increase in nepa bills would eventally lead to constant power supply, this is highly unlikely. the telecoms you keep comparing nepa to r owned and run by foreigners while nepa on the other hand was sold to the same bunch of clueless nigerian scumbags that plunged this country into the mess it is in.

1 Like

Re: PHCN: Consumers To Pay More As New Owners Move To Recover Funds by jerryben12: 11:55pm On Nov 01, 2013
Day 1 of handover. Any difference yet?

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Akin Alabi: Don’t Start A Print Magazine Business, This Is 2019 / CBN Brings Back Cash Handling Fees For Bank Customers / Innoson Reacts: Bench Warrant Against Me Is An Abuse Of Process Taken Too Far

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.