Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,840 members, 7,806,361 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 03:24 PM

Igbos And Yorubas: A Cultural Comparison. - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Igbos And Yorubas: A Cultural Comparison. (50466 Views)

What Is Preventing Africa From Experiencing A Cultural Renaissance? / The Tom And Jerry Relationship Between The Igbos And Yorubas. / Igbo Men's Ways, A Cultural Thing ? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Igbos And Yorubas: A Cultural Comparison. by Ikengawo: 6:59am On Oct 29, 2013
I want to investigate further the similarities and differences between our cultures. I feel that the similarities, being african and relatively close geographically are far more than the differences and don't need to be examined as closely as the differences. I also say so because I want it to be known that the differences are so few that identifying can tell us a lot more about ourselves by virtue of perspective. I'm going to us personal experience and the experience of friends and family to point out differences in three key areas. Family life, Business life, and Daily life. I want to be criticized. I want to be told where I'm wrong so that I can learn from my mistakes and fix them for accuracy. This isn't an insult or tribalist thread so if you feel that's the motive we can discuss it elsewhere but please keep childishness out.

Family Life

Yoruba: Family life is the foundation of Yoruba culture, as i've learned and i've been told and shown. Everything roots from the family unit and this can't be ignored. Yoruba families are, like most african families, dominated by the father. Where the difference lies is the children have a relationship with their father that emphasis' love. The dynamic between love and respect are the differences between the two groups. Children call their father by gentle names and there's a rigorous amount of cultural niceties and traditions that children are to learn when interacting with adults.

Igbo: Family life is also the foundation of Igbo culture. More so than Yoruba culture is the power the father has over the family. Igbo fathers emphasis respect more than love though I wouldn't say the love is more or less in the cultures. It's more common for igbo children to call their father's more authoritative names like sir, and culturally there's an element of respective distance. I've seen yoruba families eat from the same plate and children sitting among adults while they speak. In Igbo culture if you wish to eat with your father, you eat from his plate, but he will not leave where he's at to eat from the child's plate. Typically fathers are served separate from children, and as children become youths they chose to eat separately from those not in their age group. Igbo adults are also insulted by children that don't leave the area when adults are talking. Affection is more the job of the mother than the father, and it's the father's role to teach the values to respect, manhood and discipline.

The contrast is where the yoruba place emphasis on cultural niceties, igbos tend to put practicality about it. For instance. A though in day to day interaction the Igbo father is more authoritarian than the yoruba father, yoruba children are more hesitant to go against their father's wishes in terms of marriage, career, and educational paths. Many of the yoruba children i've met had their parents pick their career and education goal.

For an Igbo family, there's a lot more freedom for the child to chose their own destiny and act individualistically. Your father or mother (often mother) can oppose, but they can't stop you and upon adulthood the child usually loses his or her fear of their parents damnation. Regardless of what the child picks to do, the parents are more concerned with the end result than the method. If the child can do it better than others, it's approved, or if the child shows that they're serious, the parents have no choice than to accept.

I find sensitivity, openness and kindness more emphasized in Yoruba families. People are a lot more honest with each other. In Igbo society, the importance of appearing to succeed is too intense for people to appear vulnerable and thus weaknesses or times of need, especially for men, are kept secret. If a yoruba father doesn't have the money to pay a child's school fees he will say it. If an Igbo father doesn't he will find a way to switch the subject and begin yelling ("What are you even doing in that school sef? Have you carried 1st or even 5th for one day?", "Your mates are paying the school fees of their brothers and sisters and your here asking me for school fees"wink

The way culture is taught is important too. Yoruba families make it more of a priority than Igbo families to teach language and culture, and this is typically the father's role. Igbo families are less active in this respect and feel their children with 'naturally' pick up on cultural norms. Igbos will typically say "nobody taught me how to ____, but I still do it" or something in that respect when it comes to their philosophy of teaching culture It's expected that when the time comes, the child will figure it out. A yoruba parent will take additional time to make sure their kid knows that's expected of them traditionally. Typically, it works for both groups.

The role of women is a very interesting contrast. Igbo men and women view each other as functional equals, but cultural in-equals. A man expects a woman to earn as he earns and contribute as he contributes. Women are expected to be as educated as or more learned than men, be a source of income for the family, and to be a leader in her own right. When it comes to culture, the man is still viewed as superior. Igbo women are also more likely to pressure their husbands to succeed. It's typical for igbo women to constantly push and nag at their husbands to do more. In times of failure she won't 'comfort' him, but will instead ridicule and demand he wake up and do better.

Yoruba women tend to 'go with the flow' a lot more. If the family is poor, the family is poor, if they are rich, they are rich, and they're more expected to adjust to their situation that demand a better or different one. Yoruba wives are also expected to be more passive, submissive, and excepting. Though the pressure to be educated is high, the pressure to be economically viable isn't as prevalent as in igbos.

What should also be noted is when the family is in conflict and an outside is fighting the husband, the igbo wife is expected to be blindly loyal to the husband. She's likely to defend the husband, right or wrong publicly, and if he's wrong, attack him privately.

Igbo men take a great deal of pride in being able to spoil their wives and children. As his ability to succeed is paramount, his ability to show his success on his wife and children is also extremely important. Yoruba families are more concerned with the 'great person' ideal.

It's important for a yoruba family to rate their success in amount of its members are educated and low educated they are. If there is a successful relative it's seen as a mark of pride and they can often brag about the greatness of an uncle, cousin or brother as if it's their own. For Igbos, a successful relative is seen as competition, and the greater the gulf, the higher the pressure is to meet that persons standard. It's thus less likely for them to celebrate the 'great person' in their family because they themselves feel they must be that great person.

2 Likes

Re: Igbos And Yorubas: A Cultural Comparison. by Ikengawo: 7:37am On Oct 29, 2013
Business Life

The key difference I've noticed is trust! Yorubas are extremely trusting, almost to a fault. They're open to doing business with anyone on any terms and can be easily excited by big ideas. Igbos on the underhand are far less trusting in business and less open to doing business with people they don't know, or doing a business they don't understand.

In hiring, Yorubas are notorious for hiring family. From top to bottom the entire business becomes a family affair. More often than not, the family members aren't qualified for their set position and thus the quality of their work is compromised. The goal seems to be to involve and provide for as many of the family members as possible. In business Yorubas are more creative than Igbos. Though Igbos are more business minded, the yoruba businesses are more diverse.

In hiring, Igbos are more meritocratic. Typically, young men are hired on an apprenticeship basis. You'll be surprised by how many "Nwafor and Sons" is actually Nwafor and clansmen but not sons. When an igbo man needs to hire, he will assess his village for young people with good reputations from poor families. These young men will be hired before sons and daughters. They will work in whatever trade the Oga hired and taught them to do for a period of around two years, often with little or no pay. At around two years, the Oga will give the young person a large sum of money so that he can start his own business in that exact same trade. This is why igbos from the same villages often specialize is one area of work. Though the Igbos are less diverse in their business ventures, their single focus is typically more efficiently due to extensive training and merit based hiring. It's also easier for Igbos to hire and fire by sending the child back to their parents, than it is for yorubas, which often turns into a family feud or fight.

Work ethic is different between the two groups. I will say Igbos are more willing to work harder for less if the long term reward is big. They're can be fanatic about the success of their enterprise and aggressive in pushing for it's success as to them it feels like a matter of life and death. For a Yoruba, their attitude towards work is more relaxed, though their nature is more humble.

A yoruba man is ok with doing a wider range of work than an Igbo, while and Igbo is more likely to decide that one field of work is 'beneath' them. A lot of the unemployment in Igbo land comes from arrogance. Work is there, but many feel that they deserve to work in more 'dignified' fields and would thus rather starve than do anything 'demeaning'. A Yoruba is more at ease doing 'menial' work and can even laugh about how degrading it is but still do it happily.

Yorubas are also more patient in attaining their life goals. Igbos feel they must be rich immediately and by a certain age, if they're not on their way stress can cloud their judgement. Yorubas can do the same type of work for a longer period of their life even if it doesn't seem that their situation will improve as long as it's work.

There's also a difference in social mobility. Hierarchy is very real in Yoruba land. The yorubas that are poor, i've learned, have been poor for generations and perhaps this is why they're more comfortable doing 'poor man's work', unlike poor igbos. The yorubas that are rich have been rich for generations and these are the ones you see working in 'professional fields', and perhaps this is why they're more adventerous in their business ventures (if you start rich, upon failure, you're still rich). Many of the business leaders and politicians in yoruba land have been royal or aristocratic in bloodline for centuries. Family connections are success in Yoruba land.

Igbos don't have a concrete hierarchy. Each person is who they make themselves. It's impossible for an Igbo man to speak proudly of his father's wealth if he is of age to make that same wealth and hasn't. This is perhaps why there's more pressure to get rich, because most see that it's 'possible' since they're not restricted by the 'head start' hierarchy gives the rich. Even Igbo kings are elected and are often from the private sector.

In scale of wealth i've realized that the richest yoruba man is richer than the richest igbo man, and the poorest yoruba man is poorer than the poorest yoruba man. Igbo land doesn't have the 'giants' that yoruba land does, and the rich and poor are closer to each other in wealth and live style than anywhere else in Nigeria. Abject poverty is less visible among Igbos, and it's difficult to find houses of thatch or people living primitively. Yorubas on the other hand, when rich, are several times richer than the richest igbo man and when poor the inverse. Seeing this as made me realize why there's such a difference in attitudes towards money. Though both are greedy and materialistic, a poor yoruba man doesn't feel that it's his 'fault' if he's poor as the rich around him are of particular bloodlines and have been so for ages. An Igbo man started from the bottom like his peers, and if he's at the bottom when they're on the top, he and his society feel it's 100% his 'fault'. Though Tinubu, for example, has always been rich through generational greatness, Someone like Peter Obi started poor and its thus easier to except a Tinubu as a 'superior' and peter obi as a 'peer/competitor'

2 Likes

Re: Igbos And Yorubas: A Cultural Comparison. by Ikengawo: 7:52am On Oct 29, 2013
Daily life

The daily routines of both groups are based on income, but are nearly completely identical. The difference is Yoruba are more akin to grandeur where Igbos prefer efficiency. An Igbo traditional wedding for instance is a fast, simple ritualized thing. A Yoruba wedding can take days, and the emphasis is on grandeur and flash. It's also ironic that in as much as Igbos are reputed to 'love money', wealth doesn't mean power in Igbo land.

Yoruba respect rank far more than Igbos do. In Igbos land if you're wrong, you're wrong and if you're right you're right. This is why governors that fail to perform often fade into the dust in Igboland to be forgotten and regardless of the wealth the amassed, nobody is interested in hearing them speak. This goes for royals, pastors, everyone. Integrity is still the foundation of power and the people with the most valuable word hold the most sway. In this respect, Chinua Achebe can be more influential than a Peter Obi, and someone and the words of even Ojukwu aren't final if the people feel it's 'wrong'. People take this as a difficulty in uniting for a common cause because regardless of who you are, you have to convince everyone that you're 'right' before people will listen to you. I have also noticed that being an expert is more important than being a success. Igbos are more concerned with people who do what they do 'the best' than what the person does or how much money they've made doing it. A prolific soccer player, or writer or business man will be celebrated in the same right, but the business man's input about soccer will never be considered no matter what.

In Yoruba land people wait to for the leaders to speak first. Not that they're not independently minded. In fact they pressure their leaders to be independently minded so that it's more feasible to follow them. Leaders are held to a great accountability. In Igbo land if leaders aren't meeting the measure, people are more likely to adapt and carry on than force change. In this igbos are more 'detached' from matters that don't 'concern' them in a real sense.

3 Likes

Re: Igbos And Yorubas: A Cultural Comparison. by DuduNegro: 7:57am On Oct 29, 2013
You do not have a firm grip on Ibo culture, much more to have a claer understanding of Yoruba culture and thus be in a positiin to compare similarities between the two.

These are social values you listed, the way people respond to living circumstance in a given set of environmental envelope. I dont know, these listings might be cultures in Iboland.....but in Yorubaland we dont call those cultures.

2 Likes

Re: Igbos And Yorubas: A Cultural Comparison. by apoti(m): 8:08am On Oct 29, 2013
Wow... this is very insightful. As Yoruba man with many igbo friends I can't fault most of the points this piece.

However there are/were some rich Yoruba men Like MKO that that belongs to the 'poor' generation, but still became rich.

This is what we should be getting on Nairaland. Not the usual Yorubas are cowards and Igbos are drug dealers BS.
Let's appreciate ourselves and learn about our differences.
Peace.

3 Likes

Re: Igbos And Yorubas: A Cultural Comparison. by Gbawe: 9:29am On Oct 29, 2013
Pathetic idiot. Why don't you just speak for your own ethnic group alone instead of peddling your own warped stereotype about others you know nothing about and remain always ready to disrespect and malign?

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Igbos And Yorubas: A Cultural Comparison. by Gbawe: 9:41am On Oct 29, 2013
apoti: Wow... this is very insightful. As Yoruba man with many igbo friends I can't fault most of the points this piece.

However there are/were some rich Yoruba men Like MKO that that belongs to the 'poor' generation, but still became rich.

This is what we should be getting on Nairaland. Not the usual Yorubas are cowards and Igbos are drug dealers BS.
Let's appreciate ourselves and learn about our differences.
Peace.

Do not be fooled. This clown is the one of the biggest bigots on Nairaland !!! Should I show you where he writes that Igbos are "ambitious", plus everything good under the Sun, while Yorubas are "weak/timid" and everything negative despite this being wicked lies reality, at no stage, has ever supported? Do you want me to reveal a thread where two Unilag Girls (during the GEJ MAULAG misadventure) wore T-shirts with wrong spelling and this clown was quick to knock "Yoruba illiteracy" when no one wrote Yoruba on the forehead of the girls?

Go and inspect his previous post and stop being gullible. The guy is about prejudice against Yoruba folks always. Imagine Adolf Hitler trying to pretend he loves and respect jews The silly tribalist knows where he wants this thread to head. I will always be here to tackle idiots like him. Enough is enough !!!!!

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Igbos And Yorubas: A Cultural Comparison. by Gbawe: 9:46am On Oct 29, 2013
Dudu_Negro: You do not have a firm grip on Ibo culture, much more to have a claer understanding of Yoruba culture and thus be in a positiin to compare similarities between the two.

These are social values you listed, the way people respond to living circumstance in a given set of environmental envelope. I dont know, these listings might be cultures in Iboland.....but in Yorubaland we dont call those cultures.

Don't mind the pathetic twerp. Anyone taking the clown seriously need to glance at his previous post to note the stone-age bigot and prejudiced 'throwback' they are dealing with.

2 Likes

Re: Igbos And Yorubas: A Cultural Comparison. by apoti(m): 10:14am On Oct 29, 2013
Gbawe:

Do not be fooled. This clown is the one of the biggest bigots on Nairaland !!! Should I show you where he writes that Igbos are "ambitious", plus everything good under the Sun, while Yorubas are "weak/timid" and everything negative despite this being wicked lies reality, at no stage, has ever supported? Do you want me to reveal a thread where two Unilag Girls (during the GEJ MAULAG misadventure) wore T-shirts with wrong spelling and this clown was quick to knock "Yoruba illiteracy" when no one wrote Yoruba on the forehead of the girls?

Go and inspect his previous post and stop being gullible. The guy is about prejudice against Yoruba folks always. Imagine Adolf Hitler trying to pretend he loves and respect jews The silly tribalist knows where he wants this thread to head. I will always be here to tackle idiots like him. Enough is enough !!!!!

lol... I guessed I was fooled then or maybe he has turned a new leaf
Re: Igbos And Yorubas: A Cultural Comparison. by Gbawe: 12:52pm On Oct 29, 2013
apoti:

lol... I guessed I was fooled then or maybe he has turned a new leaf

See for yourself what the clown wrote on the thread below before me and many other Yorubas shut him up. People like him are vile and nauseating. It is just that Nigeria is backward and many of her people cannot appreciate how prejudice is such an ugly and repellent thing.

That is why some Nigerians, like this Ikengawo character, go around happy to offend others with their hateful , highly prejudiced and nonsensically ignorant garbage. Next minute they then want to cosy up to others and expect to be indulged when they start pathetic threads like this. The fool should not be allowed to mention "Yoruba" around here. Let him keep his ignorant thinking to himself and other bigoted elements who support his offensive Bullcrap.

https://www.nairaland.com/1398990/botswana-plans-deport-nigerians
Igbos are ambitious, nobody will take that from them but it's almost impossible to convince them what they own is better than what they can possiby own or have and that's what leads to their desperate nature.

Yorubas are fearful, nobody will take that from them either. A yoruba person is not going to risk what he has, even if it's very little, no matter the reward and don't typically think outside of what's theres. Many yorubas don't know there was a civil war in Nigeria.

1 Like

Re: Igbos And Yorubas: A Cultural Comparison. by Nobody: 9:28pm On Oct 29, 2013
Gbawe:

Don't mind the pathetic twerp. Anyone taking the clown seriously need to glance at his previous post to note the stone-age bigot and prejudiced 'throwback' they are dealing with.

Y are u angry?
The guy actually over exaggerated on the positive sides of the yorubas, yet u are not satisfied.
He is Igbo, yet he took time to list the faults of the Igbo man but u are not satisfied..
What did u want to hear?
That Igbo ppl are not industrious at all?
abeg cool down

2 Likes

Re: Igbos And Yorubas: A Cultural Comparison. by Nobody: 10:23pm On Oct 30, 2013
@OP... I DON'T SEE ANYTHING RELATED TO YORUBA CULTURE IN YOUR WRITE UP... You know nothing about yorubas... You started with family; To write about yoruba family (style, leadership, hierarchy, oriki etc must not be left out) may take nothing less than 5 pages let alone other aspect of yoruba culture or life style. Yorubas are the only Ethnic group in Nigeria that have standard administrative, military, cultural etc hierarchy WITHOUT THE INFLUENCE OF FORIEGN RELIGI0N... STOP C0MPARING IGBOS WITH Y0RUBAS.... IS N0T EASY TO OWN AN EMPIRE... So ye e grin@OP... I DON'T SEE ANYTHING RELATED TO YORUBA CULTURE IN YOUR WRITE UP... You know nothing about yorubas... You started with family; To write about yoruba family (style, leadership, hierarchy, oriki etc must not be left out) may take nothing less than 5 pages let alone other aspect of yoruba culture or life style. Yorubas are the only Ethnic group in Nigeria that have standard administrative, military, cultural etc hierarchy WITHOUT THE INFLUENCE OF FORIEGN RELIGI0N... STOP C0MPARING IGBOS WITH Y0RUBAS.... IS N0T EASY TO OWN AN EMPIRE... So ye e

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Igbos And Yorubas: A Cultural Comparison. by Nobody: 10:35pm On Oct 30, 2013
ngozievergreen:

Y are u angry?
The guy actually over exaggerated on the positive sides of the yorubas, yet u are not satisfied.
He is Igbo, yet he took time to list the faults of the Igbo man but u are not satisfied..
What did u want to hear?
abeg cool down
Nobody ask him to list igbo faults... We don't want your praise nor your insult... Just live YORUBAS ALONE...

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Igbos And Yorubas: A Cultural Comparison. by Gbawe: 6:45am On Oct 31, 2013
Olamagnifico: Nobody ask him to list igbo faults... We don't want your praise nor your insult... Just live YORUBAS ALONE...

Thank you.
Re: Igbos And Yorubas: A Cultural Comparison. by Gbawe: 6:55am On Oct 31, 2013
ngozievergreen:

Y are u angry?
What did u want to hear?
abeg cool down

Shut up you frustrated and sad hag. You think I do not know the ultra-prejudiced antecedent of the OP? Enough of the malevolent extrovert behaviour of you and the OP. You guys should leave Yoruba people alone because you are never truthful about them. All you do is lie against them and disregard all the good and exemplary things they stand for. You, the OP and others like him represent us as the worst things under the Sun yet you can never leave us alone or stay away from us !!!

The OP is a repellent character who is only supported by bigots like you because of what Nigeria is. Go and check my reply to his "Igbos are ambitious" and "Yorubas are fearful" garbage to understand you, him and others like you are simply deluded. Even if your parents and community deceive you so badly, do you fools not live in the real world to note the inanity of the crap you chat against others? Yorubas are "fearful" and "lazy" indeed. Deluded and hateful clowns.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Igbos And Yorubas: A Cultural Comparison. by ghettogospel: 6:58am On Oct 31, 2013
ngozievergreen:

Y are u angry?
What did u want to hear?
abeg cool down

Who open the gate of the Looney??

1 Like

Re: Igbos And Yorubas: A Cultural Comparison. by Nobody: 8:08am On Oct 31, 2013
All these for me? lwkmd
Re: Igbos And Yorubas: A Cultural Comparison. by Fulaman198(m): 4:44pm On Oct 31, 2013
Keep the thread clean and without offensive words ladies and gentlemen, or it will be closed.

Remember the rules:

1. Please post on topic always. Don't derail or tribalize threads.
2. Don't abuse, bully, deliberately insult/provoke, fight, or wish harm to any Nairaland member.
3. Don't advocate or encourage violent actions against any person, tribe, race, or group of people.
4. Discussions of the art of love-making should be restricted to the hidden sexuality section.
5. Don't post pornographic or disgusting pictures or videos on any section of Nairaland.
6. Don't post adverts or affiliate links outside the areas where adverts are explicitly allowed.
7. Don't say or do anything that's detrimental to the security or success of Nairaland.
8. Don't post false information on Nairaland.
9. Don't use Nairaland for illegal acts, e.g fraud, piracy, and spreading malware.
10. Don't expose the identity or post pictures of any Nairaland member without his/her consent.
11. Don't create distracting posts e.g. posts in giant fonts or ALL CAPS or with silly gifs.
12. Don't insert promotional signatures into your posts. Use the signature feature.
13. Please report any post or topic that violates the rules of Nairaland.
14. Please search the forum before creating a new thread on Nairaland.
15. Don't attempt to post censored words by misspelling them.
16. Don't promote MLM schemes, HYIPS, or other questionable schemes on Nairaland.
18. Don't spam the forum by posting the same content many times.
19. Don't create a new account when banned for breaking a rule. If you do, make sure we don't find out.
20. Please cooperate with the moderators, super-moderators, and administrator. Treat them with respect.
21. Please spell words correctly when you post, and try to use perfect grammar and punctuation.
Re: Igbos And Yorubas: A Cultural Comparison. by isalegan2: 2:01am On Nov 02, 2013
Ikengawo:
The role of women is a very interesting contrast. Igbo men and women view each other as functional equals, but cultural in-equals. A man expects a woman to earn as he earns and contribute as he contributes. Women are expected to be as educated as or more learned than men, be a source of income for the family, and to be a leader in her own right. When it comes to culture, the man is still viewed as superior. Igbo women are also more likely to pressure their husbands to succeed. It's typical for igbo women to constantly push and nag at their husbands to do more. In times of failure she won't 'comfort' him, but will instead ridicule and demand he wake up and do better.

Yoruba women tend to 'go with the flow' a lot more. If the family is poor, the family is poor, if they are rich, they are rich, and they're more expected to adjust to their situation that demand a better or different one. Yoruba wives are also expected to be more passive, submissive, and excepting. Though the pressure to be educated is high, the pressure to be economically viable isn't as prevalent as in igbos.

You know little about Yoruba women or their role in Yoruba tradition, history and culture. For example, you will never hear a Yoruba man say, a woman cannot lead him or rule their town - check how many queens we've had since time immemorial.

No offense; you tried with the rest of your assignment. undecided

Dudu_Negro: You do not have a firm grip on Ibo culture, much more to have a claer understanding of Yoruba culture and thus be in a positiin to compare similarities between the two.

Hmmm. Interesting take. wink

2 Likes

Re: Igbos And Yorubas: A Cultural Comparison. by Howmanage: 4:30pm On Nov 04, 2013
I cant verify how accurate the comparisons are but one thing i know for sure is that we love each other and thats a fact. Despite the protests, accusations, insults etc Yoruba and Igbo seem unable to do with the other. Once we separate from Nigeria and stop competing so closely i am sure it will dawn on us all.
Re: Igbos And Yorubas: A Cultural Comparison. by Fulaman198(m): 4:56pm On Nov 04, 2013
Howmanage: I cant verify how accurate the comparisons are but one thing i know for sure is that we love each other and thats a fact. Despite the protests, accusations, insults etc Yoruba and Igbo seem unable to do with the other. Once we separate from Nigeria and stop competing so closely i am sure it will dawn on us all.

Why do you look forward to this happening?
Re: Igbos And Yorubas: A Cultural Comparison. by 0monnakoda: 5:01pm On Nov 04, 2013
isale_gan2:

You know little about Yoruba women or their role in Yoruba tradition, history and culture. For example, you will never hear a Yoruba man say, a woman cannot lead him or rule their town - check how many queens we've had since time immemorial.

No offense; you tried with the rest of your assignment. undecided

Hmmm. Interesting take. wink
If a dog starts barking and you respond people might not know the difference. Better to walk away from rabid dogs
Re: Igbos And Yorubas: A Cultural Comparison. by Howmanage: 7:20pm On Nov 04, 2013
Fulaman198:

Why do you look forward to this happening?
its the sensible thing to do
Re: Igbos And Yorubas: A Cultural Comparison. by ezeagu(m): 8:48pm On Nov 04, 2013
Why is it always 'Yoruba' and 'Igbo', always thinking within colonial borders. Igbo people have more in common culturally with someone in southwestern Cameroon than in south western Nigeria. The Fon and Yoruba share history and culture to a depth that the Igbo and Yoruba don't, so I don't understand the focus. Not to mention the different ethnic groups that make up these blanket groups, and also the dozens of ethnic groups between the two lands.

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Igbos And Yorubas: A Cultural Comparison. by 0monnakoda: 9:04pm On Nov 04, 2013
deleted.
Re: Igbos And Yorubas: A Cultural Comparison. by 0monnakoda: 9:05pm On Nov 04, 2013
The Ibo nation is too small and inchoate culturally to compare itself to Yoruba. Ibo should compare themselves with the likes of Efik,Urhobo,Isoko etc those are nations of similar size and political development. They did not advance from the Umunna or tribal level of political organization before colonization and there is really no history to talk about.
Is there any account of any Ibo Nation that anyone can tell us here.The simple answer is No. A very loud Mba!!
Is there anyone trying to copy Ibo culture ,learn Ibo language or Ibonize ? I doubt tht very much .No one wants to copy the Ibo ways or style. I certainly am not planning to buy any red baby hats

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Igbos And Yorubas: A Cultural Comparison. by Fulaman198(m): 9:09pm On Nov 04, 2013
Howmanage: its the sensible thing to do

Keep dreaming about a weak Nigeria, someone will rise and make the country great
Re: Igbos And Yorubas: A Cultural Comparison. by anonymous6(f): 9:20pm On Nov 04, 2013
I really don't know how I would rate this whole assessment of this threads topic cause at times it just wasn't accurate at times however There were some points that were true but other points that I didn't agree with or was stuck in between at times
Re: Igbos And Yorubas: A Cultural Comparison. by Howmanage: 11:23pm On Nov 04, 2013
0monnakoda: The Ibo nation is too small and inchoate culturally to compare itself to Yoruba. Ibo should compare themselves with the likes of Efik,Urhobo,Isoko etc those are nations of similar size and political development. They did not advance from the Umunna or tribal level of political organization before colonization and there is really no history to talk about.
Is there any account of any Ibo Nation that anyone can tell us here.The simple answer is No. A very loud Mba!!
Is there anyone trying to copy Ibo culture ,learn Ibo language or Ibonize ? I doubt tht very much .No one wants to copy the Ibo ways or style. I certainly am not planning to buy any red baby hats

@bolded Too funny cheesy not sure i agree with the rest though simply because i dont know if its true
Re: Igbos And Yorubas: A Cultural Comparison. by Howmanage: 11:27pm On Nov 04, 2013
Fulaman198:

Keep dreaming about a weak Nigeria, someone will rise and make the country great
yes maybe in another 200 years. Can we really afford to put our generations through such a long and tortuous journey? For the sake of what exactly? To make colonists who created Nigeria proud? To simply break our necks and ruin our childrens future trying prove that we can stay together? I don't understand this hysteria about keeping Nigeria together when its clearly not working
Re: Igbos And Yorubas: A Cultural Comparison. by ezeagu(m): 7:03pm On Nov 05, 2013
0monnakoda: The Ibo nation is too small and inchoate culturally to compare itself to Yoruba. Ibo should compare themselves with the likes of Efik,Urhobo,Isoko etc those are nations of similar size and political development. They did not advance from the Umunna or tribal level of political organization before colonization and there is really no history to talk about.

Oya, you want to put Igbo people down so let's go toe to toe with facts. Produce the Yoruba equivalent of all the following, and then I'll post the Igbo.

1. Writing system
2. Publicly elected leadership
3. Oldest site of a bronze casting site and the date of the earliest artefacts.
4. Date of publishing of earliest known writer.
5. Ethnic placenames in the Americas.
6. Most widely used words in Caribbean creoles, and even words in many dictionaries including English.
7. Most prominent person ever in the diaspora who has claimed descent.
8. GDP of countries where the language is an officially recognised minority language.
9. Communities that abolished slavery before the 1800s.
10. Amount of wars and the longest fought against the British.
11. Oldest kingdom.
12. Post pictures of most impressive civil and military architectures.

After you've posted the Yoruba equivalents and I've posted the Igbo, we'll see whether there is our isn't Igbo culture to talk of.

5 Likes

(1) (2) (Reply)

Chidinma Or Chidimma? / Wives Of Oba Of Benin, Oba Ewuare II (photos) / Colonial Alaigbo (Igboland) in Pictures

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 123
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.