Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,557 members, 7,809,030 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 09:26 PM

Lagos Shuts 80 Substandard Clinics, Hospitals - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Lagos Shuts 80 Substandard Clinics, Hospitals (9462 Views)

Medical Negligence In Nigerian University Clinics Has To Stop!!! / Fertility Clinics Buy Sperm From Lagosians For N50,000 / Lagos Shuts Isolo Hospital Mortuary (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Lagos Shuts 80 Substandard Clinics, Hospitals by Nobody: 9:55am On Oct 29, 2013
Lagos shuts 80 substandard clinics, hospitals

• Discovers 675 unregistered health centres

Lagos State government yesterday said it has shut down over 80 medical facilities across the state, even as it warned residents to be wary of substandard medical homes managed by quacks and unregistered medical professionals. Briefing journalists on the activities of his agency, the Chairman of the Lagos State Health Facility Monitoring and Accreditation Agency (HEFAMAA), Dr Tayo Bello, who made this disclosure, said three of the substandard private hospitals were shut by the government at Coker Orile area of the state.

He added that the af-fected hospitals are; Chisom Hospital; El-Shaddai Hospital and Peculiar Hospital, saying that the hospitals were shut for not having qualified personnel to manage the facility while some are located in distressed buildings. He said: “Within the last three days about four facilities have been shut; as we speak now, our men are on the field doing their job.

“We have shut 80 facilities that have failed to comply with the standard set for them. The total number of facilities monitored is 2, 715, while 297 are registered, a total of 675 medical facilities are yet to be registered.

“Some of the hospitals have male nurses pretending to be doctors. By the time they are scrutinised, those found wanting will be arrested and prosecuted for impersonation and the facility will be shut down.

“Where we find professionals employing quack to operate in their facilities, we will shut such facilities as well because such professionals encourage quackery.” Bello added that those facilities shut were those that failed to meet the minimum requirement for operation in the state.

He added: “El-Shaddai Hospital was shut down for training auxiliary nurses and operating in a very poor and unhygienic environment. Also, Chisom Hospital was shut for flouting medical ethics. “A patient that was operated upon was not found on drip and there was no proper documentation of the patient’s condition.

So, we found that the patient was not properly monitored.” On quack doctors prosecuted by the state government, the Executive Secretary of HEFAMAA, Dr jimi Asunni, said the cases are treated by the special courts sitting in Alausa, saying only the complicated or disputed cases are resolved at the high courts.

Source

2 Likes

Re: Lagos Shuts 80 Substandard Clinics, Hospitals by freakcin: 1:29pm On Oct 29, 2013
Same should be extended to education sector!
Re: Lagos Shuts 80 Substandard Clinics, Hospitals by wellmax(m): 1:31pm On Oct 29, 2013
Great move. So many quacks around these days.
Re: Lagos Shuts 80 Substandard Clinics, Hospitals by Youceemeri: 1:32pm On Oct 29, 2013
Re: Lagos Shuts 80 Substandard Clinics, Hospitals by Ibangap(m): 1:33pm On Oct 29, 2013
Good, but u'll find out that these hospitals that are being shut down are private owned hospitals, and truth be told; how well-standard are the government owned hospitals? They are no better off themselves,
they are even more sub-standard, ill-equipped nd also indulged in medical mal-practice too.

9 Likes

Re: Lagos Shuts 80 Substandard Clinics, Hospitals by browncool(m): 1:34pm On Oct 29, 2013
Someone said last time Nigerian leaders are not stepping up to making its citizens safe medically. Fash. I hail your good work
Re: Lagos Shuts 80 Substandard Clinics, Hospitals by bokoarerams: 1:34pm On Oct 29, 2013
Very good, GEJ is really working
Re: Lagos Shuts 80 Substandard Clinics, Hospitals by thiefnubu(m): 1:34pm On Oct 29, 2013
and i bin wan carry my girlfriend go abort pikin for orile o... fashola no try o

1 Like

Re: Lagos Shuts 80 Substandard Clinics, Hospitals by Brimmie(m): 1:35pm On Oct 29, 2013
Good One From LASG!

1 Like

Re: Lagos Shuts 80 Substandard Clinics, Hospitals by paschalndidi(m): 1:36pm On Oct 29, 2013
Good work. They should keep it up
Re: Lagos Shuts 80 Substandard Clinics, Hospitals by AnOlAd: 1:42pm On Oct 29, 2013
Cool
Re: Lagos Shuts 80 Substandard Clinics, Hospitals by Nobody: 1:43pm On Oct 29, 2013
Biko, when are we shutting down sub-standard schools, too? And maybe before we do this, government should please make schools accessible to children in rural communities and regions. We need more public schools..with efficient teachers. #It'sPossible!!

Truly, It is another sector that needs consolidation exercise. Mrs. Sosan did some good job in Lagos. I wish we could have her back and as the Minister of Education. cool
Re: Lagos Shuts 80 Substandard Clinics, Hospitals by gabbytabby: 1:57pm On Oct 29, 2013
Thank you Fashola.

Eko Oni baje oh.
Re: Lagos Shuts 80 Substandard Clinics, Hospitals by Arosa(m): 1:57pm On Oct 29, 2013
Tinubu: and i bin wan carry my girlfriend go abort pikin for orile o... fashola no try o

Interesting way of saying thank you. tongue
Re: Lagos Shuts 80 Substandard Clinics, Hospitals by Big4wig(m): 2:05pm On Oct 29, 2013
I just love #LAGOS state just like d way i love akpos & his foolishNess...check dis out

Akpos was eating bread in the dream,after he finished eating it, he saw a coconut and decided to eat it too but he didn't see knife to cut it, so he decided to use his teeth only to receive a slap from his father! U DON FINISH PILLOW,NA MY HEAD U COME DEY BITE IDIOT!.

#BIGWIG

9 Likes

Re: Lagos Shuts 80 Substandard Clinics, Hospitals by Akshow: 2:05pm On Oct 29, 2013
gabbytabby: Thank you Fashola.

Eko Oni baje oh.
o baaaje tiii. Awon oloriburuku ma shanfani wey wan spoil am go run down IJN
Re: Lagos Shuts 80 Substandard Clinics, Hospitals by GentleMimi: 2:10pm On Oct 29, 2013
Beautiful!
But lol at ''male nurse pretending to be a doctor''. Abeg the guy was trying to live his dream na!!!
But seriously,this is a good move.I worked in a private hsptl b4 going for NYSC. The things i saw there.....may God save His people!

1 Like

Re: Lagos Shuts 80 Substandard Clinics, Hospitals by slimfit1(m): 2:12pm On Oct 29, 2013
browncool: Someone said last time Nigerian leaders are not stepping up to making its citizens safe medically. Fash. I hail your good work

There is no need to praise anyone where is the alternative for these people.

1 Like

Re: Lagos Shuts 80 Substandard Clinics, Hospitals by Nobody: 2:34pm On Oct 29, 2013
Eko oni Spage.... O'Spaghetti
Re: Lagos Shuts 80 Substandard Clinics, Hospitals by dumodust(m): 2:38pm On Oct 29, 2013
but where are the alternatives? Govt hospitals are bad too and the people living in those areas cannot afford the kind of hospital with enough equipment and manpower without good health insurance. Medical treatment cant be cheap and the government's proving it without providing alternatives or even training medical personnel to fill the void
Re: Lagos Shuts 80 Substandard Clinics, Hospitals by LadyH(f): 2:44pm On Oct 29, 2013
Big4wig: I just love #LAGOS state just like d way i love akpos & his foolishNess...check dis out

Akpos was eating bread in the dream,after he finished eating it, he saw a coconut and decided to eat it too but he didn't see knife to cut it, so he decided to use his teeth only to receive a slap from his father! U DON FINISH PILLOW,NA MY HEAD U COME DEY BITE IDIOT!.

#BIGWIG
rotflmao!!! abeg, dey giv akpors supper ooo!
Re: Lagos Shuts 80 Substandard Clinics, Hospitals by ziga: 2:53pm On Oct 29, 2013
dumodust: but where are the alternatives? Govt hospitals are bad too and the people living in those areas cannot afford the kind of hospital with enough equipment and manpower without good health insurance. Medical treatment cant be cheap and the government's proving it without providing alternatives or even training medical personnel to fill the void

The alternatives are the registered hospitals and clinics that were not shut down by the Government.

No matter how bad Government hospitals are, the devil you know is better than the "devil" you don't.

2 Likes

Re: Lagos Shuts 80 Substandard Clinics, Hospitals by Nobody: 2:55pm On Oct 29, 2013
Is this the official logo of Lagos State Government?
Re: Lagos Shuts 80 Substandard Clinics, Hospitals by foyeks2001(f): 3:08pm On Oct 29, 2013
As for me, I prefer govt hospitals to all these so-called private hospitals...Almost, if not all d FCT hospitals are equiped to some extents...eg Maitaima, Wuse, Asokoro...they also have the best doctors and they are also affordable...although I delivered my baby @ Federal Staff Hospital Gwarinpa(Federal Government)...mehn those ones too are really trying...There was even one Gynecologist Dr Anuma, that man na wizard(though I heard he schooled abroad)...me prefer Abuja Govt hospitals sha o...
Re: Lagos Shuts 80 Substandard Clinics, Hospitals by cashkid18(m): 3:11pm On Oct 29, 2013
foyeks2001: As for me, I prefer govt hospitals to all these so-called private hospitals...Almost, if not all d FCT hospitals are equiped to some extents...eg Maitaima, Wuse, Asokoro...they also have the best doctors and they are also affordable...although I delivered my baby @ Federal Staff Hospital Gwarinpa(Federal Government)...mehn those ones too are really trying...There was even one Gynecologist Dr Anuma, that man na wizard(though I heard he schooled abroad)...me prefer Abuja Govt hospitals sha o...
u don born pikin
Re: Lagos Shuts 80 Substandard Clinics, Hospitals by foyeks2001(f): 3:16pm On Oct 29, 2013
Born ke? I still be learner o
cashkid18: u don born pikin
Re: Lagos Shuts 80 Substandard Clinics, Hospitals by Tokotaya: 3:17pm On Oct 29, 2013
Very good news. And about time too!
Re: Lagos Shuts 80 Substandard Clinics, Hospitals by Okijajuju1(m): 3:21pm On Oct 29, 2013
FINALLY!!!!

Thats why I advice people to go to the government hospitals rather than patronize some shaddy private hospitals.
Re: Lagos Shuts 80 Substandard Clinics, Hospitals by cashkid18(m): 3:21pm On Oct 29, 2013
[quote author=foyeks2001]Born ke? I still be learner o . [/quotehw many ]

(1) (2) (Reply)

Overcome Your Sexual Challenges With Samsu Oil For Men / NCDC Confirms 15 Cases Of Monkeypox / 7 Tips For Handling Heartburn During Pregnancy

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.