Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,966 members, 7,806,799 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 12:42 AM

My Temporary Blindness: Any Explanations? - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / My Temporary Blindness: Any Explanations? (895 Views)

Epidemic Blindness In Yobe!! / Temporary Blindness: Causes, Prevention And Treatment / Glaucoma Will Cause Blindness In 11.2m People By 2020 – Optometrist (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

My Temporary Blindness: Any Explanations? by Nobody: 10:17pm On Oct 29, 2013
I had this experience back in 2010 just after my Mother died of unknown causes at OAUTHC, Ile-Ife, in Osun State.

I used to shuttle between Ife and Ilesha just to see may aged Dad because he was lonely and very depressed.

On this particular day I entered a commercial bus at Ilesha on my way back to Ife. The time was around 11:am. Initially, I was feeling ok but in the middle of the journey I started having a strong sense of nausea,my eyes started getting dark and my head was spinning. I thought it was just a normal sign of sickness and thought no more of it when the feeling went away. But my sight was still slightly blurred.

When we got to Ile-Ife the bus stopped at Ilesha garage just on the main road. Just when I started to get out of the bus every thing suddenly became pitch black. I was stunned and confused,then I realised that I could not see. I stood rooted to the same place for some time, I could feel the heat of the sun on my face but could see absolutely nothing.

Gradually, after about 5 minutes I could see again but only just slightly. Since it was a Sunday there were a lot of empty shops around. I managed to shuffle myself in front of one and then sat down on the bare floor.

I noticed that passersby were looking at me as if I was a lunatic(if only they knew what was happening). Panic wanted to rush in bu I forced myself to stay calm. All my thought was that I was going blind and strangely I was begining to mentally adapt to it and a strange calm was upon me.

After about 20 minutes I stopped an okada man and told him my destination. While I was on the bike complete darkness came again. When the darkness became consistent I told the okada man to stop. He stopped at Lagere then I gave him money to help me to buy very cold water.

When he brought the water I poured it on my head but still there was no improvement. That was when the okada man became jittery and wanted to just go away leaving me alone there. I begged him that he should at least take me to my destination. I told him the street and house address,since I could not see. "The house with the green gate" I told him.

When he got there he dropped me in front of the gate then I paid him his fare(till today I dont know how much). Then I felt my way to my room where I collapsed on my bed wondering about the dark days ahead. Three hours later my sight returned back to me and I was the happiest person in the world.

I did not have such an experience before then or ever since. My question is this: Does anybody have any idea what happened to me and should I be worried about the future concerning my sight?

I will be glad if some one can help.
Re: My Temporary Blindness: Any Explanations? by debbie(f): 9:13am On Oct 30, 2013
so sorry for your experience,but i strongly suggest you go and see an eye doctor as soon as possible..let a test be carried out.Remember prevention is much better than cure.
Re: My Temporary Blindness: Any Explanations? by indrija: 9:20am On Oct 30, 2013
u rily need to check your nutrition.and also pray
Re: My Temporary Blindness: Any Explanations? by Nobody: 6:17am On Oct 31, 2013
Ok I will do that thanks
Re: My Temporary Blindness: Any Explanations? by shaggy1(m): 7:23am On Nov 09, 2013
I once had such experience,and it was discovered I had severe hypertension,pls vist a doctor.Nothin much to worry about.
Re: My Temporary Blindness: Any Explanations? by Nobody: 9:56am On Nov 09, 2013
shaggy1: I once had such experience,and it was discovered I had severe hypertension,pls vist a doctor.Nothin much to worry about.
thanks
Re: My Temporary Blindness: Any Explanations? by ryom(m): 4:38pm On Nov 09, 2013
@op, don't want to sound alarmist but there is a lot to worry about. What you had- amaurosis fugax, is a warning. It's usually a type of stroke. You need to see a neurologist ASAP. Please, please don't joke with this. You can PM me if you wish.
Re: My Temporary Blindness: Any Explanations? by R0seMaryM(f): 12:42pm On Nov 10, 2013
u could be diabetic...the same thing happened to my dad while he was driving,luckily he stopped the car in the middle of the road and got help from a taxi driver...
Re: My Temporary Blindness: Any Explanations? by wrealgems: 5:16pm On Nov 10, 2013
That is called amaurosis fugax, and there are so many reasons why it might occur, ranging from multiple sclerosis, carotid artery occlusive disease, and even some cases of migraine. I hope you have sought help now, but if not I'll advice you to visit a good hospital. Series of tests would be run on you and the probable cause detected. Its important because temporary loss of vision could lead to permanent loss of vision in most cases.

(1) (Reply)

Fallouts From Sacking Student Doctors / Some Things You Might Have Not Known / #johesustrike ~ States, Council Hospitals Join Workers’ Strike

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 17
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.