Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,179 members, 7,807,569 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 03:26 PM

What Can Geographic Information Systems (GIS) Do For You? - Career (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / What Can Geographic Information Systems (GIS) Do For You? (24538 Views)

Pls, How Is The Job Market For Recent Geographic Information Systems (gis) Graduates / Expansion Of The Geographic Information Systems (gis) Field In Nigeria. / G.i.s Geographic Information Systems (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Can Geographic Information Systems (GIS) Do For You? by jerikoyan(m): 3:28pm On Nov 14, 2013
Re: What Can Geographic Information Systems (GIS) Do For You? by BlessedFellow: 4:19pm On Nov 14, 2013
PalmTree:

It depends on the data you require, are you a GIS person?

I'm looking to becoming one. I can do lil stuff with ArcGIS when preparing an EIA.
Re: What Can Geographic Information Systems (GIS) Do For You? by PalmTree(m): 5:38pm On Nov 14, 2013
BlessedFellow:

I'm looking to becoming one. I can do lil stuff with ArcGIS when preparing an EIA.

Where are you based and could you share more details on what the Environmental Impact Assessment was on?
Re: What Can Geographic Information Systems (GIS) Do For You? by BlessedFellow: 7:40pm On Nov 14, 2013
PalmTree:

Where are you based and could you share more details on what the Environmental Impact Assessment was on?

I'm based in Edo state. EIA of a project in the extractive industry. I used it to aid the location/design of infrastructure and how to mitigate the impact of the project.
Re: What Can Geographic Information Systems (GIS) Do For You? by PalmTree(m): 7:44pm On Nov 14, 2013
BlessedFellow:

I'm based in Edo state. EIA of a project in the extractive industry. I used it to aid the location/design of infrastructure and how to mitigate the impact of the project.

...and you used GIS exclusively or you were assisted?
Re: What Can Geographic Information Systems (GIS) Do For You? by PalmTree(m): 10:22am On Nov 15, 2013
Most people feel GIS is only meant for Environmental Sciences, but do you know that even banks and telecoms use this technology for siting their new branches or atm machines or even customer care priority. For the past 50 years, the USA have been using GiS to monitor desert encroachment from the Mohave desert and Nigeria has also commenced on Sahara desert monitoring. Business analyst have leaned towards the smart maps and intelligent database technology which GIS offers in fine tuning their marketing and Distribution approach.
Its a pity to see Nigerian graduates suffering in the job market and even accepting demeaning stipends when they can equip themselves for a better future. Think future, Think GIS.
Re: What Can Geographic Information Systems (GIS) Do For You? by jerikoyan(m): 11:58am On Nov 15, 2013
Still expecting your mail ogunlajeremiah@gmail.com on the. Training
Re: What Can Geographic Information Systems (GIS) Do For You? by PalmTree(m): 3:26pm On Nov 15, 2013
jerikoyan: Still expecting your mail ogunlajeremiah@gmail.com on the. Training

Sorry for the delay. You may now check your mail. The cost has been adjusted in line with our promotional offer as discussed in one of my previous posts. Thank you
Re: What Can Geographic Information Systems (GIS) Do For You? by PalmTree(m): 3:37pm On Nov 15, 2013
GIS for Mineral Exploration.
Mineral exploration geoscientists use diverse types
of datasets, ranging from basic geological maps to
hyperspectral airborne and multispectral satellite
imagery, to search for mineral deposits. GIS allows
geoscientists to bring these datasets together and
accurately calculate economic potential on a single
desktop.
GIS integrates with other specialized programs for
geophysical and geochemical data, image
processing, and CAD. Raster images, such as
satellite or geophysical imagery, can be
integrated and overlaid with vector data such as
geology, faults, and sample information. Tools such
as ArcGIS Spatial Analyst and Geosoft's Target for
ArcGIS help geologists calculate and predict mineral
prospectivity with unprecedented accuracy.
Think future, Think GIS
Re: What Can Geographic Information Systems (GIS) Do For You? by Iamstrata(m): 7:33pm On Nov 15, 2013
nice one there. Mineral exploration cool.
I was thinking......can you map deep underground structures like faults, to creat reservoir models.............. With arcgis and if yes, wat kind of data set would be need to map a depth of like 1-5km or more
Re: What Can Geographic Information Systems (GIS) Do For You? by PalmTree(m): 6:38am On Nov 16, 2013
I_am_strata: nice one there. Mineral exploration cool.
I was thinking......can you map deep underground structures like faults, to creat reservoir models.............. With arcgis and if yes, wat kind of data set would be need to map a depth of like 1-5km or more

Yes you can, ever heard of DTM or DEM? If you can get ASTER or SRTM data, you can do inverse extrusion. Then overlay it on the geological map of the area. Its kinda complex but when one faces the project, ideas will flow.
Re: What Can Geographic Information Systems (GIS) Do For You? by Parrotpal(m): 9:43am On Nov 16, 2013
@palmtree, from all your posts on this forum i have notice you are very verse in environmental and earth sciences and am very impress. What do you study in school during your undergraduate studies? Or is it the knowledge of GIS that brought abt the diverse knowledge that you have?
Re: What Can Geographic Information Systems (GIS) Do For You? by Iamstrata(m): 9:53am On Nov 16, 2013
PalmTree:

Yes you can, ever heard of DTM or DEM? If you can get ASTER or SRTM data, you can do inverse extrusion. Then overlay it on the geological map of the area. Its kinda complex but when one faces the project, ideas will flow.
is this srtm capable capable of holdin depth or elevation data? And can u explain 'mosaic' y it is done and expected result
Re: What Can Geographic Information Systems (GIS) Do For You? by PalmTree(m): 10:22am On Nov 16, 2013
Yes, SRTM if properly analyzed can hold elevation data although ASTER is better. Mosaic is an analysis carried out to join 2 or more geographically referenced map layers. When maps are correctly geo-referenced, they can overlay and join with each other however when you try to zoom, it will affect other layers hence you need to mosaic so that they become one.
Re: What Can Geographic Information Systems (GIS) Do For You? by PalmTree(m): 10:30am On Nov 16, 2013
Parrotpal: @palmtree, from all your posts on this forum i have notice you are very verse in environmental and earth sciences and am very impress. What do you study in school during your undergraduate studies? Or is it the knowledge of GIS that brought abt the diverse knowledge that you have?

B.Sc. Geography, M.Sc Geographic Information Systems. Yes GIS gives you diverse knowledge because it is multi-disciplinary. I have consulted for Business Analysts, Engineers, Geologists and even Information Technology experts. Thanks.
Re: What Can Geographic Information Systems (GIS) Do For You? by PalmTree(m): 11:18am On Nov 16, 2013
Application of GIS Data in Forest Management:
Over the last century, the forest cover of the world has
declined at an alarming rate. Being a renewable resource,
forest cover can be regenerated through sustainable
management. Hence, with the help of remote sensing and
GIS data, a forest manager can generate information with
regards to forest cover, types of forest present within the
area of the study, human encroachment into forest land/
protected areas, encroachment of desert like conditions and
so on. This information is critical in the development of
forest management plans and in the process of decision
making to ensure that effective policies have been put in
place to control and govern the manner in which forest
resources is utilized.
Think future, Think GIS
Re: What Can Geographic Information Systems (GIS) Do For You? by Iamstrata(m): 11:56am On Nov 16, 2013
PalmTree: Yes, SRTM if properly analyzed can hold elevation data although ASTER is better. Mosaic is an analysis carried out to join 2 or more geographically referenced map layers. When maps are correctly geo-referenced, they can overlay and join with each other however when you try to zoom, it will affect other layers hence you need to mosaic so that they become one.
is this the same thing as merging in autocad?
Re: What Can Geographic Information Systems (GIS) Do For You? by PalmTree(m): 12:02pm On Nov 16, 2013
I_am_strata: is this the same thing as merging in autocad?

Sorry boss, I'm not really an AutoCAD expert. I mostly use ArcGIS, ILWIS and Erdas Imagine.
Re: What Can Geographic Information Systems (GIS) Do For You? by PalmTree(m): 12:20pm On Nov 16, 2013
GIS in Transport Logistics:
Transport is the main bearer of the logistics function, in the
whole logistics system, its main function is to transport goods to achieve spatial displacement, namely, the achievement of goods “space-efficient.” GPS/GIS technology in the logistics industry is mainly reflected in the transport sectors, with the GPS/GIS technology, can provide location-based services to logistics and transport related information, logistics and transportation for the rational and efficient management to provide strong technical support. This point of focus from the system analysis and elaboration based on GPS/GIS logistics information platform to build the framework, system design and implementation issues.
Think future, Think GIS
Re: What Can Geographic Information Systems (GIS) Do For You? by Iamstrata(m): 12:26pm On Nov 16, 2013
PalmTree:

Sorry boss, I'm not really an AutoCAD expert. I mostly use ArcGIS, ILWIS and Erdas Imagine.
ok sir, i love what you are doing and i would like to talk with you one on one. I currently reside in lagos
Re: What Can Geographic Information Systems (GIS) Do For You? by PalmTree(m): 12:42pm On Nov 16, 2013
I_am_strata: ok sir, i love what you are doing and i would like to talk with you one on one. I currently reside in lagos

No problem. I decided to make this outreach a part of my firms CSR so that many people can come to understand how GIS can assist them. I am also planing an outreach to some schools to encourage students to employ GIS in their projects as this will improve their chances of been published. Also with the response that I have gotten from this thread, I have considered a big slash in our training fee so that it can be economical for students.
Re: What Can Geographic Information Systems (GIS) Do For You? by Nobody: 2:51pm On Nov 16, 2013
Due to dearth of jobs I was recently exposed to GIS by working as a field enumerator.

The project is quite extensive and is still ongoing.

As a geophysics graduate, how is GIS applicable for me because I am desirous of a career path in the earth sciences.
Re: What Can Geographic Information Systems (GIS) Do For You? by PalmTree(m): 2:57pm On Nov 16, 2013
Geo-physics as a career has been benefiting from the intelligence of GIS for decades. However the availability of data hampers the rise of Geospatial technology in this field. What project were you hired for and also let me know your area of interest or better still your undergraduate research so I can use that as a case study.
Think future, Think GIS
Re: What Can Geographic Information Systems (GIS) Do For You? by PalmTree(m): 3:14pm On Nov 16, 2013
Kingphemmy and IamStrata, check this out,

Geophysical and geographic information systems (GIS)
methods have been applied to investigate the regional three-
dimensional geological setting and geophysical signature of
sediment-hosted Zn-Pb mineralisation in the Proterozoic
Carpentaria Zinc Belt of northern Australia. The study
focused on the setting of two particular Zn-Pb deposits, HYC in the McArthur Basin and Lady Loretta in the Mount lsa Basin. A GIS incorporating geophysical interpretations,
geological and geochemical data was designed and
implemented for a region in the McArthur Basin
encompassing the giant HYC Zn-Pb-Ag deposit. The GIS
incorporates geological attributes that encode depth
information implicit in the stratigraphic column. This data
structure, in conjunction with topological attributes, allows
queries based on the stratigraphic relationships of spatial
elements. The GIS was used to identify and analyse
constraints on base metal metallogeny and to gain insights
into the 3-D evolution of the McArthur Basin. Mass balance
calculations derived from lithogeochemical data, together with volumes calculated from geophysical and stratigraphic data, indicate that an unrealistic proportion of the carbonate-
dominated McArthur Group would have been required to
source sufficient base metal to form the HYC mineralised
system. At least a major portion of the metals contained in
HYC are inferred to have originated deeper in the basin.
Automatic identification of the location and magnitude of
unconformities on geological maps was used to suggest the
location and size of active subbasins at the time of the
formation of HYC mineralisation. HYC's situation at the
northeastern edge of one of these sub-basins is consistent with topographic and bounding growth fault control on the
palaeohydrogeological regime that focused mineralising fluids in the vicinity of the deposit. Petrophysical measurements from the Mount Isa Basin indicate that the only highly magnetic units are the Eastern Creek and Kamarga Volcanics.
All other units, including Fiery Creek Volcanics basalts, are at most weakly magnetic. Densities of Proterozoic sedimentary units are largely a function of the relative proportion of carbonate and siliciclastic material. The same, albeit weaker relationship was observed with respect to sonic velocity and resistivity, though acoustic impedance contrasts between basin units remain significant. Pb-Zn ore at Lady Loretta has a high density contrast with the highly pyritic layers enclosing it, which in turn are significantly denser than the host dolomitic siltstone. The Lady Loretta ore is also much more chargeable than any of its host units, but there is little resistivity contrast between the ore and host carbonaceous siltstones. Gravity and IP methods are indicated as most likely to distinguish base metal mineralisation from other conductive bodies in this region. Airborne magnetic and radiometric data flown over the Lady Loretta region were processed and interpreted to identify areas of anomalous response with respect to the 'normal' signatures of individual basin units: Integration of
magnetic, radiometric and lithogeochemical data from the
Eastern Creek Volcanics has enabled geophysical
identification of alteration phases. Magnetite destruction, Fe
depletion and possibly K depletion, consistent with chlorite + albite-type alteration, are associated with subdued magnetic signals adjacent to Zn-Pb (Lady Loretta) and Cu (Lady Annie) mineralisation. Anomalously high levels of K and quiet magnetic responses are apparent adjacent to the
Mammoth Cu deposits. Variable K, Th and U signals from
McNamara Group sequences are interpreted to indicate the
location and nature of syn-depositional basin structures and
sediment source regions, including evidence of anomalous
sub-basin development represented by the Lady Loretta host
sequence. The structure and volume of basin units in the Lady Loretta area were inferred from geophysical modelling. Basin structures in this region have been overprinted to varying degrees by the lsan Orogeny. In lower strain areas, there is a WNW trend in pre-Isan Orogeny structures. The area north of the Redie Creek and Leopard Faults appears to have been persistently uplifted from Myally Subgroup through to early McNamara Group time, with a depocentre to the south during this period. The Lady Loretta deposit is situated on the north- western margin of this former depocentre, immediately adjacent to the uplifted area to the north. The proximity to mineralising fluid conduits in the form of bounding or former growth faults was probably a major factor in the formation of the Lady Loretta mineralisation. GIs and geophysics can be
used at all scales in exploration for Zn-Pb mineralisation.
Analysis of regional geophysics, geology and geochemistry in a GIS can identify provinces and regions containing the
requisite source lithologies, basin architecture and trap rocks
to generate major Zn-Pb deposits. More detailed analysis of
geophysical data can distinguish areas where 'base metal-
depleting' alteration may have originated mineralising fluids
from potentially rich source rocks such as the Eastern Creek
Volcanics. Geophysical analysis can also help to locate
structures capable of focusing mineralising fluids in
favourable areas and, with gravity and IP methods, directly
detect Lady Loretta-style deposits.
I hope you both can now see a Real Life application of GIS to your field. Most people still think GIS is just survey, I say its not.
Think future, Think GIS!
Re: What Can Geographic Information Systems (GIS) Do For You? by Nobody: 10:17pm On Nov 16, 2013
PalmTree: ...What project were you hired for and also let me know your area of interest or better still your undergraduate research so I can use that as a case study...
Think future, Think GIS

Virtual street mapping and land asset management system for one of the Eastern states.

My undergraduate research is on the use of resistivity methods for foundation integrity studies while my area of interest is well logging.
Re: What Can Geographic Information Systems (GIS) Do For You? by PalmTree(m): 3:41pm On Nov 17, 2013
Geophysical and geographic information systems (GIS)
methods have been applied to investigate the regional three-
dimensional geological setting and geophysical signature of
sediment-hosted Zn-Pb mineralisation in the Proterozoic
Carpentaria Zinc Belt of northern Australia. The study
focused on the setting of two particular Zn-Pb deposits, HYC in the McArthur Basin and Lady Loretta in the Mount lsa Basin. A GIS incorporating geophysical interpretations,
geological and geochemical data was designed and
implemented for a region in the McArthur Basin
encompassing the giant HYC Zn-Pb-Ag deposit. The GIS
incorporates geological attributes that encode depth
information implicit in the stratigraphic column. This data
structure, in conjunction with topological attributes, allows
queries based on the stratigraphic relationships of spatial
elements. The GIS was used to identify and analyse
constraints on base metal metallogeny and to gain insights
into the 3-D evolution of the McArthur Basin. Mass balance
calculations derived from lithogeochemical data, together with volumes calculated from geophysical and stratigraphic data, indicate that an unrealistic proportion of the carbonate-
dominated McArthur Group would have been required to
source sufficient base metal to form the HYC mineralised
system. At least a major portion of the metals contained in
HYC are inferred to have originated deeper in the basin.
Automatic identification of the location and magnitude of
unconformities on geological maps was used to suggest the
location and size of active subbasins at the time of the
formation of HYC mineralisation. HYC's situation at the
northeastern edge of one of these sub-basins is consistent with topographic and bounding growth fault control on the
palaeohydrogeological regime that focused mineralising fluids in the vicinity of the deposit. Petrophysical measurements from the Mount Isa Basin indicate that the only highly magnetic units are the Eastern Creek and Kamarga Volcanics.
All other units, including Fiery Creek Volcanics basalts, are at most weakly magnetic. Densities of Proterozoic sedimentary units are largely a function of the relative proportion of carbonate and siliciclastic material. The same, albeit weaker relationship was observed with respect to sonic velocity and resistivity, though acoustic impedance contrasts between basin units remain significant. Pb-Zn ore at Lady Loretta has a high density contrast with the highly pyritic layers enclosing it, which in turn are significantly denser than the host dolomitic siltstone. The Lady Loretta ore is also much more chargeable than any of its host units, but there is little resistivity contrast between the ore and host carbonaceous siltstones. Gravity and IP methods are indicated as most likely to distinguish base metal mineralisation from other conductive bodies in this
region. Airborne magnetic and radiometric data flown over
the Lady Loretta region were processed and interpreted to
identify areas of anomalous response with respect to the
'normal' signatures of individual basin units: Integration of
magnetic, radiometric and lithogeochemical data from the
Eastern Creek Volcanics has enabled geophysical
identification of alteration phases. Magnetite destruction, Fe
depletion and possibly K depletion, consistent with chlorite + albite-type alteration, are associated with subdued magnetic signals adjacent to Zn-Pb (Lady Loretta) and Cu (Lady Annie) mineralisation. Anomalously high levels of K and quiet magnetic responses are apparent adjacent to the
Mammoth Cu deposits. Variable K, Th and U signals from
McNamara Group sequences are interpreted to indicate the
location and nature of syn-depositional basin structures and
sediment source regions, including evidence of anomalous
sub-basin development represented by the Lady Loretta host
sequence. The structure and volume of basin units in the Lady Loretta area were inferred from geophysical modelling. Basin structures in this region have been overprinted to varying degrees by the lsan Orogeny. In lower strain areas, there is a WNW trend in pre-Isan Orogeny structures.
Re: What Can Geographic Information Systems (GIS) Do For You? by jazinogold(m): 7:42am On Nov 19, 2013
does autocad land development software perform the same function like other g.i.s softwares such as archg.i.s and so on @op
Re: What Can Geographic Information Systems (GIS) Do For You? by PalmTree(m): 6:19pm On Nov 19, 2013
jazinogold: does autocad land development software perform the same function like other g.i.s softwares such as archg.i.s and so on @op

Autocad L.D is a mapping and not a GIS software! I think where the misconception lies is that people mistake GIS for Digital Cartography, and this is very wrong. A GIS software has two capabilities that exudes a mapping software, firstly a GIS software has a robust database capacity (ArcGIS and MapInfo) while others like (ILWIS) that doesn't have can easily be linked to a MS Access structured database. Secondly, a GIS software has an astonishing analyzing possibility. These analysis like Buffer, Network analysis, Cluster, Geo-Coding, Spatial Interpolation , just to mention a few are what generate intelligent info for decision making. Further more, most GIS software can be powered by web technologies to make these infos more handy. Finally, the CAD which stands for Computer Aided Design is meant to create wonderful designs while GIS is designed to do much more.
Personally I use AutoCAD L.D only when I consult for surveyors since that's what they mostly use... I then convert the files to a GIS format for analysis. Thanks.
Re: What Can Geographic Information Systems (GIS) Do For You? by jazinogold(m): 7:33pm On Nov 19, 2013
thanks
Re: What Can Geographic Information Systems (GIS) Do For You? by PalmTree(m): 7:41pm On Nov 19, 2013
jazinogold: thanks

Do you use AutoCAD L.D?
Re: What Can Geographic Information Systems (GIS) Do For You? by PalmTree(m): 4:03pm On Nov 22, 2013
Does anyone have a project that the house can discuss?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

A Graduate Of Ahmadu Bello University Has Resorted To Selling Of Woina.... Pics / 10 Things To Never Say To Your Boss. / Masters Scholarship In The UK Vs N500k Monthly Job In Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 80
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.