Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,305 members, 7,808,033 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 04:45 AM

Electiricity Union Directs Members To Down Tools - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Electiricity Union Directs Members To Down Tools (816 Views)

Don't Honour DSS Invitation Again, Ekiti Assembly Directs Members. / FUEL SCARCITY: NLC Threatens To Order Workers To Down Tools If… / APC Directs Members In Adamawa To Defy Curfew (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Electiricity Union Directs Members To Down Tools by rhythyson: 12:32pm On Oct 31, 2013
The National Union of Electricity Employees (NUEE) has directed its members to withdraw their services from all installations in the event of further provocation by armed military personnel desperate to take over PHCN installations.

A statement signed by the Secretary General of the Union, Mr. Joe Ajaero, said the plan of the federal government to hand over the power assets negated the agreement it reached with the union to resolve all outstanding labour issues.

Mr. Ajaero insisted that the gratuity payment the government made was only 68 per cent complete and no member of the union has had their pension contributions transferred into their retirement savings accounts.

He said “those that retired from service since 2011 have not received their benefits totaling about N19bn. The differences of the shortfall of the terminal benefits from June 30, 2012 till date have not been considered for payment.

“The biometrically captured and considered casuals’ appointment has not been addressed. The question of 10 per cent equity shareholding (in the companies) by the workers as statutorily provided has not been given attention.

While we appreciate and sympathise with the core investors, we ask for their understanding and that of the Nigerian public in our pursuit to ensure a seamless transition. We are resolute on receiving every kobo owed us as we are sure such liabilities will not be borne by the new investors unless there is a commitment to that effect from them.”

This threat is coming barely 24 hours before the federal government hands over the Power Holding Company of Nigeria will be handed over to their new owners.

Meanwhile, the permanent secretary in the Ministry of Power, Ambassador Godknows Igali, has said that there’s no justification for a strike because the federal government has made significant progress in the payment of the disengaged workers, with over 40,000 out of the 47,913 identified fully paid.
http://www.channelstv.com/home/2013/10/31/electiricity-union-directs-members-to-down-tools/
Re: Electiricity Union Directs Members To Down Tools by Nobody: 12:38pm On Oct 31, 2013
After keeping us in darkness for decades, does it now matter if they keep us in darkness for a few days more? No threat of strike should stall the planned handover of the PHCN companies. If we allow these labour union leaders they'll stall the whole process with their endless demands.

4 Likes

Re: Electiricity Union Directs Members To Down Tools by pheesayor(m): 12:43pm On Oct 31, 2013
They have raised some issues which you ignored, The FG will always be right in your eyes
Sincere 9gerian: After keeping us in darkness for decades, does it now matter if they keep us in darkness for a few days more? No threat of strike should stall the planned handover of the PHCN companies. If we allow these labour union leaders they'll stall the whole process with their endless demands.
Re: Electiricity Union Directs Members To Down Tools by Nobody: 12:49pm On Oct 31, 2013
pheesayor: They have raised some issues which you ignored, The FG will always be right in your eyes
Dont mind him, he has sold his soul and conscience to the devil. He would soon tell us that PHCN workers are ACN members that are trying to sabotage the presidents effort
Re: Electiricity Union Directs Members To Down Tools by gurnam: 12:52pm On Oct 31, 2013
Am sure the Electricity union workers will get no sympathy from Nigerians...

They are on their own...
Re: Electiricity Union Directs Members To Down Tools by taharqa2: 1:35pm On Oct 31, 2013
From 12 o'Clock midnight today, there would be nothing like PHCN or NEPA again in Nigeria....HALLELUYAAAAAA!!! cheesy cheesy
Re: Electiricity Union Directs Members To Down Tools by idupaul: 1:39pm On Oct 31, 2013
Sincere 9gerian: After keeping us in darkness for decades, does it now matter if they keep us in darkness for a few days more? No threat of strike should stall the planned handover of the PHCN companies. If we allow these labour union leaders they'll stall the whole process with their endless demands.

That awkward and rare moment where I just have to click like on your comment.
Re: Electiricity Union Directs Members To Down Tools by pet7: 1:49pm On Oct 31, 2013
they should go currupt phcn staff
Re: Electiricity Union Directs Members To Down Tools by Nobody: 2:42pm On Oct 31, 2013
gurnam: Am sure the Electricity union workers will get no sympathy from Nigerians...

They are on their own...
They'll get sympathy from DEVILS and agents of DARKNESS, most of whom are APC members.
Re: Electiricity Union Directs Members To Down Tools by Mekusnwa: 4:06pm On Oct 31, 2013
FG has settled over 40,000 PHCN workers. Perhaps those who have not been settled are those without appointment letters for documentation and you don't expect govt to spend money on unverified claims. Ajaero should do well to publish the names of genuine workers with appointment letters who are still being owed.

The era of Darkness will soon be over with the handover of PHCN assets to private sector investors. Let no Ajaero put asunder.
Re: Electiricity Union Directs Members To Down Tools by chieflowo: 4:15pm On Oct 31, 2013
The National Union of Electricity Employees (NUEE) has directed its members to withdraw their services from all installations in the event of further provocation by armed military personnel desperate to take over PHCN installations

I will be happy, I have no electricity for almost two weeks now. No one will feel it.
Re: Electiricity Union Directs Members To Down Tools by gurnam: 4:17pm On Oct 31, 2013
Sincere 9gerian:
They'll get sympathy from DEVILS and agents of DARKNESS, most of whom are APC members.

Shut up......! Don't patronize me.
Re: Electiricity Union Directs Members To Down Tools by ubandire(m): 4:33pm On Oct 31, 2013
These unionists will do everything to make one last gain from strikes before the private discos/GENCOS take over.
So I'm not surprised that they are threatening strike actions today. Let them strike, it doesn't change anything. The handover will take place and finally we will be liberated from the shackles of inefficiency that past administrations exposed us to experience in the hands of PHCN.
Re: Electiricity Union Directs Members To Down Tools by Bukkyade: 4:45pm On Oct 31, 2013
Last antics of a drowning union. They must find a string to clutch unto. It's that simple. I have seen a PHCN staff that was settled. He lives four houses away from mine. He told me that he got an alert from SIGMA in his RSA. That is why I believe Governments account that it's only workers without proof of appoinment letters that are yet to be paid.
Re: Electiricity Union Directs Members To Down Tools by Dollarman101: 4:50pm On Oct 31, 2013
Bukkyade: Last antics of a drowning union. They must find a string to clutch unto. It's that simple. I have seen a PHCN staff that was settled. He lives four houses away from mine. He told me that he got an alert from SIGMA in his RSA. That is why I believe Governments account that it's only workers without proof of appoinment letters that are yet to be paid.

grin I know how this thing works. Most of these PHCN workers came in through the back door without any proper documentation and appointment letter. The govt of the day at that time just packed them in to share from the largesse that accrued to PHCN from FG's purse.

The carnival is over. And the hen has come home to roost. GEJ must complete this privatisation and no bagger can stop him.
Re: Electiricity Union Directs Members To Down Tools by uzomagic(m): 5:00pm On Oct 31, 2013
Bukkyade: Last antics of a drowning union. They must find a string to clutch unto. It's that simple. I have seen a PHCN staff that was settled. He lives four houses away from mine. He told me that he got an alert from SIGMA in his RSA. That is why I believe Governments account that it's only workers without proof of appoinment letters that are yet to be paid.

One of them even went to flex the money by buying jeeps https://www.nairaland.com/1495438/ex-phcn-worker-spends-n5.5m-gratuity
He must have stolen a lot while in office as to use his own money to buy jeep. Corrupt NEPA. If I were Jonathan, I won't spend a dime to pay for severance.

(1) (Reply)

Bibulous President / Can We Make Abusive Comments On The President Of The Nation / Mismanagement In Nigeria's Management Centre

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 23
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.