Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,750 members, 7,806,051 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 10:44 AM

Isaac Brown, Feels No Pain - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Isaac Brown, Feels No Pain (35523 Views)

Isaac Brown, The Five-year- Old Boy Who Feels No Pain / Timothy Brown Cured Of AIDS: 'I Feel Good' / Causes Of Waist Pain In Men (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Isaac Brown, Feels No Pain by tunapa2009(m): 3:00pm On Oct 31, 2013
Isaac Brown is a 5-year-old boy from Iowa who suffers from a rare genetic condition which makes him immune to pain, but not to the effects of his frequent injuries. Painful falls, deep cuts and other agonizing injuries that normally make children scream at the top of their lungs and cry out for their parents, don’t determine any kind of reaction from little Isaac. Even after he broke his pelvis by falling from playground equipment, he calmly acknowledged that something was wrong, but he didn’t feel pain.

Isaac was born with a conprivate part insensitivity to pain (CIP) and, according to his parents, the first years of his life years were especially hard as the boy “would just drop to the ground and smack his face on the table. He thought the fall was fun.” Unaware of the damage he was doing to his body, he also put his hands on a working oven burner and one time cut himself with sharp pieces from a mug he had broken. His parents sought medical help but were disappointed to find that his condition was untreatable.

The only advice medics were able to give the couple was to teach Isaac to recognize pain. He now knows that bleeding is bad but he is still unable to understand that there are different levels of pain which vary in intensity. While he understands that his father accidentally stepping on him is painful, he doesn’t recognize that a cat brushing against him, while it might be unpleasant to some, should not hurt. Unfortunately, Isaac’s response in both of these situations is the same “Ow” that his parents thought him to say.

However, when he broke his pelvic bone at the playground, the boy became aware that something was wrong, but wasn’t quite sure what. “He thought his ankle hurt,” his mother says. Because of this, she believes that “He does feel [something], but the pain has to be 20 to 30 times greater to what we would feel.” Apart from his inability to feel pain, Isaac also suffers from Anhidrosis – a rare condition that affects fewer than 100 people in the United States, which renders him unable to control his temperature or feel hot or cold. In the summer, when the temperatures are sky-high, he is forced to stay indoors or wear a cooling vest to help him lower his body’s temperature.

Because CIP is so rare, medics don’t know what causes it or what to advise parents with children who suffer from it. In an attempt to learn how to take better care of their son, Mr and Mrs Brown have also sought help online and found “The Gift of Pain”,  a Facebook group created by desperate parents looking to give their kids the chance to a normal life. As members of this group, the parents of Ashlyn Blocker – a 13-year-old girl with the same disorder who has been featured in numerous news pieces when she was a bit younger, have set up a gathering called “Camp Painless but Hopeful.” Any family burdened with CIP can attend and learn more about the condition as well as ways of preventing their kids from unknowingly hurting themselves. Although Isaac has been kept quite safe by his parents without resorting to extreme measures, “other kids have had all their teeth removed because they would self-mutilate, bite their tongues, chew their fingers off,” Mr Brown says.
http://www.informationng.com/2013/10/isaac-brown-the-five-year-old-boy-who-feels-no-pain.html
Re: Isaac Brown, Feels No Pain by Nobody: 4:00pm On Oct 31, 2013
wow...life would be easier for cancer victims if their pain could be ameliorated

6 Likes

Re: Isaac Brown, Feels No Pain by dnacrystal: 4:58pm On Oct 31, 2013
Strange. Some people would give anything to be in the boy's shoes.

1 Like

Re: Isaac Brown, Feels No Pain by tunapa2009(m): 5:05pm On Oct 31, 2013
cheksbry: wow...life would be easier for cancer victims if their pain could be ameliorated

Really?
Re: Isaac Brown, Feels No Pain by tunapa2009(m): 5:07pm On Oct 31, 2013
dnacrystal: Strange. Some people would give anything to be in the boy's shoes.
Especially those going through pain.. Though he can't feel the physical or "bodily" pain but emotional pain is inevitable...

3 Likes

Re: Isaac Brown, Feels No Pain by Jayses(m): 8:55pm On Oct 31, 2013
Wow while I'm struggling to get rid of my pains someone out there is striving to feel it hmmmmm wonders shall never cease .

1 Like

Re: Isaac Brown, Feels No Pain by skyscraperTM(m): 8:57pm On Oct 31, 2013
A superhero in the making.

My case is kind of similar, i do feel pains but i love it.

1 Like

Re: Isaac Brown, Feels No Pain by seedord247(m): 8:57pm On Oct 31, 2013
msheewww we got bunch of them in oshodi underbridge, ojuelegba, obalende, mushin ajina. cool

3 Likes

Re: Isaac Brown, Feels No Pain by mosak(m): 8:59pm On Oct 31, 2013
Am just trying to imagine how dis boy would look like...
Re: Isaac Brown, Feels No Pain by Nobody: 8:59pm On Oct 31, 2013
Yes o so that some people will not feel d pain of ASUU strike

1 Like

Re: Isaac Brown, Feels No Pain by Dubby6(m): 9:01pm On Oct 31, 2013
I wish I had this when I was still in secondary school...make I dey form James Bond for seniors...dey impress babes with my 'Super Power'

13 Likes

Re: Isaac Brown, Feels No Pain by Swiftboy(m): 9:01pm On Oct 31, 2013
I think its a neurological disorder. A comprehensive research into the root cause of the brain disorder can help eliminate pain without the use of drugs and to find an alternative way of helping the disorder!
Re: Isaac Brown, Feels No Pain by B3sty(m): 9:01pm On Oct 31, 2013
It's ok oo...Any pix?
Re: Isaac Brown, Feels No Pain by Justeenaleo(f): 9:02pm On Oct 31, 2013
Scary but pitiful
Re: Isaac Brown, Feels No Pain by bionicdude(m): 9:03pm On Oct 31, 2013
datz gud for him.if he was a wrestler he will be one of the best coz d inability to feel pain is the key.funny tin is dat he is not immune to emotiona l pain which can be more painful

2 Likes

Re: Isaac Brown, Feels No Pain by SimonSniper(m): 9:03pm On Oct 31, 2013
D guy never Receive better Knock for HEAD grin grin

16 Likes

Re: Isaac Brown, Feels No Pain by Segadem(m): 9:03pm On Oct 31, 2013
Wonderful!
Re: Isaac Brown, Feels No Pain by jmoore(m): 9:03pm On Oct 31, 2013
Pain is necessary, it gives out warning sign.

If a poisonous snake bites him he will end up dead because he is not aware he was bitten.

7 Likes

Re: Isaac Brown, Feels No Pain by crackhaus: 9:05pm On Oct 31, 2013
If there was CIP for emotional pain, that would be a good one... undecided
#JustThinkingAloud

1 Like

Re: Isaac Brown, Feels No Pain by t4dec(f): 9:05pm On Oct 31, 2013
Wao,so sorry it's only God's kingdom dat can put an end to dese.
For mre hep, visit dis site
www.jw.org

7 Likes

Re: Isaac Brown, Feels No Pain by Swiftboy(m): 9:05pm On Oct 31, 2013
I think its a neurological disorder. A comprehensive research into the root cause of the brain disorder can help eliminate pain without the use of drugs and to find an alternative way of helping the disorder! I think it'll have been better if it the disorder start as the surferrers grow and not a birth disorder.
Re: Isaac Brown, Feels No Pain by IAMBREEZY: 9:05pm On Oct 31, 2013
WoW
Re: Isaac Brown, Feels No Pain by ksam(m): 9:07pm On Oct 31, 2013
When i was in my primary nd secondary school,i wish for that..cus i don't know why anytin i do,even if it is wright,it automatically becomes wrong and dat made me the most flogged.hmmmmn it will be so much fun to see my teacher flogging me and sweating while am busy smiling....

2 Likes

Re: Isaac Brown, Feels No Pain by Egbagirl(f): 9:07pm On Oct 31, 2013
seedord247: msheewww we got bunch of them in oshodi underbridge, ojuelegba, obalende, mushin ajina. cool

hahahahahahahahhahaha!! Cut our boys some slack now haba.

@topic: learned about this a few years back in my psych class and it is def not something I would wish for. While it might sound like a blessing, it could be fatal.
Re: Isaac Brown, Feels No Pain by Ayoakinkahunsi(m): 9:08pm On Oct 31, 2013
Isaac baba
Re: Isaac Brown, Feels No Pain by Nobody: 9:08pm On Oct 31, 2013
hmmm. Una neva jam the Nairalander that feels no pain when banned till 2015. check my profile 4 that.

2 Likes

Re: Isaac Brown, Feels No Pain by taiocol: 9:09pm On Oct 31, 2013
cool cool
Re: Isaac Brown, Feels No Pain by Blakjewelry(m): 9:09pm On Oct 31, 2013
Wow! Feeling Pain has it own advantage and disadvantage, if only scientist could use this as a stepping stone to understanding pain..i.e may be one day we will be able to switch of pain when it become too extreme.
Re: Isaac Brown, Feels No Pain by Nobody: 9:10pm On Oct 31, 2013
Segadem: Wonderful!
Wonderful?
Re: Isaac Brown, Feels No Pain by everyday: 9:10pm On Oct 31, 2013
wonders
Re: Isaac Brown, Feels No Pain by akereconfi: 9:14pm On Oct 31, 2013
will he feel any sensation on his D*i*c*k in case of sexual intercourse??. Please it's just my thought o
Re: Isaac Brown, Feels No Pain by Oziddy: 9:14pm On Oct 31, 2013
my grandmother's hands would av been strong enough to make dis boi feel pain, i rememba wen we dey small, if we play ball dislocate any part or our legs, we don finish b dat, wen we com bak frm field, injured, we go pretend as if notin apund, if u dare leap, grandma go no say u get injury. Nd mistakingly she catches u leapin, she'll b like, Oziddy wt apund to u, dem em like, grandma, em reharsing a drama role, i'll be potraying a one-legged man in skul drama,nd she hates it wen we lie, now she goes like dis, ok jst com closer, lemme apply a ROBB custume to make it look real, nd she grabs me, folds me wit her two strong legs, work don finish be dat, if u dey outside our house, na so so helpless shouts of agony u go dey hear, i could rememba my cousins laffin at me tru d windows, den i'll be like, grandma Robinson is injured too, even victor nd chizzy, she go kip ear like say she no hear, den for nyt, she go enta our room com grab the remaining of us dt escaped, den person wey dey outside go dey hear voices of 2 or 3 bois crying, nd D oda one laffing(me). R.I.P mama Mary Johnson, me miss you. Nd we love you. 13 yrs gone, still like its yesterday.

71 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

A Nairalander Needs Urgent Help On His Skin Rash And Solutions Necessary (pics) / I'm 34 Years Old And I Bedwet. I Need Help Please / Chikwe Ihekweazu Not Quarantined, But On Self-Isolation For 14 Days - NCDC

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.