Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,152 members, 7,807,507 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 02:24 PM

Single Sim Phones Vs Dual Sim Phones, Which Is Better? - Phones - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / Single Sim Phones Vs Dual Sim Phones, Which Is Better? (21470 Views)

OIS VS Dual Back Camera, Which Do You Pefer? / Whatsapp Now Available On Nokia Asha Dual Sim Phones / Can Anyone Unlock The Etisalat Dual Sim Phones? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Single Sim Phones Vs Dual Sim Phones, Which Is Better? by RedCard1(m): 10:47pm On Oct 31, 2013
Since the smartphone era started, phone makers went the smart ways too. Almost every smartphone (especially Android) now comes with both single and dual sim variants and people seem to be going for the dual sim versions more. Gone are the days when every phone that's dual sim compatible were considered as made in China (inferior). But I still prefer single sim. It's better and easier to handle. Dual sim isn't cool since you can't use the two sims at the same time. I also think single sim are superior to dual sims. Lemme hear from you guys. When buying a phone, do you put into consideration the sim nature? Which do you prefer between Single Sim phones and Dual Sim phones? State your reasons. Thanks.
Re: Single Sim Phones Vs Dual Sim Phones, Which Is Better? by johnwizey: 11:03pm On Oct 31, 2013
Triple sim grin grin
Re: Single Sim Phones Vs Dual Sim Phones, Which Is Better? by sylvar02(m): 11:07pm On Oct 31, 2013
johnwizey: Triple sim grin grin

Love that too!!! Those phones with built in freezer, Ac and home theatre!!!

3 Likes

Re: Single Sim Phones Vs Dual Sim Phones, Which Is Better? by Nobody: 11:48pm On Oct 31, 2013
d chinese abused double sim... so for now,SINGLE sim rules..
Re: Single Sim Phones Vs Dual Sim Phones, Which Is Better? by psalmdave(m): 12:10am On Nov 01, 2013
sylvar02:

Love that too!!! Those phones with built in freezer, Ac and home theatre!!!
Yes o,those are the innovations we want,we don tire for ROM,RAM,processor,this that crap grin
Re: Single Sim Phones Vs Dual Sim Phones, Which Is Better? by Nobody: 12:45am On Nov 01, 2013
One sim, dual sim, tri sim, 4 sim, it does nt make any diffrence to the phone
Re: Single Sim Phones Vs Dual Sim Phones, Which Is Better? by LordReed(m): 8:27am On Nov 01, 2013
In our neck of the pond the need for more than one network provider means you will need to carry more than one phone or a dual (or triple) sim phone.

In my estimation a dual sim phone will be more useful than carrying two phones. Besides you can only answer one call per time whether you carry two phones or a dual sim phone.

3 Likes

Re: Single Sim Phones Vs Dual Sim Phones, Which Is Better? by RedCard1(m): 8:56am On Nov 01, 2013
Lord_Reed: In our neck of the pond the need for more than one network provider means you will need to carry more than one phone or a dual (or triple) sim phone.

In my estimation a dual sim phone will be more useful than carrying two phones. Besides you can only answer one call per time whether you carry two phones or a dual sim phone.
I heard 3G Network do not work in the second sim of some phones. The Dual Sim is useless in this case.
Re: Single Sim Phones Vs Dual Sim Phones, Which Is Better? by RedCard1(m): 9:00am On Nov 01, 2013
runzlord: One sim, dual sim, tri sim, 4 sim, it does nt make any diffrence to the phone
I honestly think it makes a difference in the phone. When a phone comes with single and dual sim variants, you'll notice the single sim version will function better than the dual sim version. Personally, I'm not a fan of dual sim phones.
Re: Single Sim Phones Vs Dual Sim Phones, Which Is Better? by caukerzee(m): 9:42am On Nov 01, 2013
First of, dual sim phones are targeted at third world markets that do not get stable service and adequate support from network providers.
So, dual sim phones are very useful in this part of the world.
But then again expect cheaper build (which is almost negligible in the phone's performance and functionality) for obvious reasons.
I don't think you'll ever see top android OEMs making dual SIM versions of their flagship phones except they're targeting the chineese market.
Re: Single Sim Phones Vs Dual Sim Phones, Which Is Better? by caukerzee(m): 9:43am On Nov 01, 2013
Single sim any day anytime though.
Re: Single Sim Phones Vs Dual Sim Phones, Which Is Better? by LordReed(m): 10:00am On Nov 01, 2013
Red_Card: I heard 3G Network do not work in the second sim of some phones. The Dual Sim is useless in this case.

That a second sim does not have 3G does not make it useless. Irrespective of the network signal type you can make your basic phone operations; phone calls, sms and even browse depending on the network. I know for sure that Glo's EDGE service is good enough if you use Opera Mini so I highly disagree with your calling lack of 3G useless.

Red_Card: I honestly think it makes a difference in the phone. When a phone comes with single and dual sim variants, you'll notice the single sim version will function better than the dual sim version. Personally, I'm not a fan of dual sim phones.

So in other words you are already biased so how can we expect you to be objectively see the advantages of a multi sim phone?

caukerzee: First of, dual sim phones are targeted at third world markets that do not get stable service and adequate support from network providers.
But then again expect cheaper build (which is almost negligible in the phone's performance and functionality) for obvious reasons.
I don't think you'll ever see top android OEMs making dual SIM versions of their flagship phones except they're targeting the chineese market.

Yet they make them so from an engineering and business standpoint it is desirable to make highend dual sim phones where the market can absorb it.
Re: Single Sim Phones Vs Dual Sim Phones, Which Is Better? by anthony500(m): 2:26pm On Nov 01, 2013
caukerzee: First of, dual sim phones are targeted at third world markets that do not get stable service and adequate support from network providers.

First you say double sim phones are made for 3rd world markets then you go ahead to mention the chinese market

Don't know about you but the chinese market doesn't look like a third world market to me.

Secondly I have read reviews and watched unboxing from credible sites like gsmarena and engadget, of double sim variants of the htc one and a number of Samsung/Nokia/Lg phones released into the chinese market and no occasion was that variant a lesser build to its one sim counterpart. Differences if present are usually the well practiced region to region variations in Lte availability and processor make.

Finally i believe that the reason why dual sim variants are released in Asia and Africa as opposed to the western world is explained by "contracts".
In North America and Europe most of the phone released into the market by large OEMs are largely subsidied by contracts as a result the demand for factory unlocked phones (expensive) is very minimal. The network providers that provide contract tied phones will not fancy the idea of double sim phones.
Plus a producer that is profit inclined will not provide for a demand that is non-existent.
The above situation is juxtaposed to the Africa/Asian situations where most of the phones purchased are factory unlocked giving the user ability to roam between service providers by choice; thus a 2/3/4/5 sim phone gives the user faster portability and eliminates the need for a second device.

3 Likes

Re: Single Sim Phones Vs Dual Sim Phones, Which Is Better? by anthony500(m): 2:37pm On Nov 01, 2013
Red_Card: I heard 3G Network do not work in the second sim of some phones. The Dual Sim is useless in this case.

You get what you pay for.
Most have the ability to switch 3G enabled sim
Re: Single Sim Phones Vs Dual Sim Phones, Which Is Better? by caukerzee(m): 5:19pm On Nov 02, 2013
anthony500:

First you say double sim phones are made for 3rd world markets then you go ahead to mention the chinese market

Don't know about you but the chinese market doesn't look like a third world market to me.
Incase you do not know the meaning of 'Third world country', it simply means developing nation. China is a third world country. I stand to be corrected. The only reason they are made priority over other third world markets is simply due to their population size. One would surly sell more units in a larger population.

Secondly I have read reviews and watched unboxing from credible sites like gsmarena and engadget, of double sim variants of the htc one and a number of Samsung/Nokia/Lg phones released into the chinese market and no occasion was that variant a lesser build to its one sim counterpart. Differences if present are usually the well practiced region to region variations in Lte availability and processor make.
Every tech site reviews mid range and low end phones provided the brand is globally well recognized. Some tecno phones are better than some of the phones reviewed on GSM arena but those better tecno phones will never get reviews on these popular tech sites. Why? The tecno brand is not recognized. Having said that, tech sites will hardly metion that these phones are made of cheaper build. Why? Because its already obvious. All dual SIM phones are normally low end to mid range. Theres no dual sim phone with high end specs. Which means it has a cheaper build. Even when there is a dual sim variant of a High end flagship, its specs are lower which implies reduced cost. This is because of the market it is being targeted at.

Finally i believe that the reason why dual sim variants are released in Asia and Africa as opposed to the western world is explained by "contracts".
In North America and Europe most of the phone released into the market by large OEMs are largely subsidied by contracts as a result the demand for factory unlocked phones (expensive) is very minimal. The network providers that provide contract tied phones will not fancy the idea of double sim phones.
Plus a producer that is profit inclined will not provide for a demand that is non-existent.
The above situation is juxtaposed to the Africa/Asian situations where most of the phones purchased are factory unlocked giving the user ability to roam between service providers by choice; thus a 2/3/4/5 sim phone gives the user faster portability and eliminates the need for a second device.
Did you miss the part of my comment that said Dual SIM phones are targeted at lower markets because of the lack of stable service and lack adequate support from network providers??

1 Like

Re: Single Sim Phones Vs Dual Sim Phones, Which Is Better? by LordReed(m): 6:41pm On Nov 02, 2013
caukerzee:
Incase you do not know the meaning of 'Third world country', it simply means developing nation. China is a third world country. I stand to be corrected. The only reason they are made priority over other third world markets is simply due to their population size. One would surly sell more units in a larger population.

Every tech site reviews mid range and low end phones provided the brand is globally well recognized. Some tecno phones are better than some of the phones reviewed on GSM arena but those better tecno phones will never get reviews on these popular tech sites. Why? The tecno brand is not recognized. Having said that, tech sites will hardly metion that these phones are made of cheaper build. Why? Because its already obvious. All dual SIM phones are normally low end to mid range. Theres no dual sim phone with high end specs. Which means it has a cheaper build. Even when there is a dual sim variant of a High end flagship, its specs are lower which implies reduced cost. This is because of the market it is being targeted at.

Did you miss the part of my comment that said Dual SIM phones are targeted at lower markets because of the lack of stable service and lack adequate support from network providers??

You are wrong about dual sim phones being only mid or low enders. The Galaxy S4 dual sim is exynos powered http://www.gsmarena.com/samsung_i9502_galaxy_s4-5420.php while the dual sim note 3 is snapdragon powered
http://www.gsmarena.com/samsung_galaxy_note_3-5665.php
Re: Single Sim Phones Vs Dual Sim Phones, Which Is Better? by Nobody: 6:44pm On Nov 02, 2013
Lord_Reed:

You are wrong about dual sim phones being only mid or low enders. The Galaxy S4 dual sim is exynos powered http://www.gsmarena.com/samsung_i9502_galaxy_s4-5420.php
tht it iz exynos powered, dosnt make it the original s4.. i have seen so much fake s4 around...

even an mtk real s4...

so much fakerz
Re: Single Sim Phones Vs Dual Sim Phones, Which Is Better? by LordReed(m): 6:59pm On Nov 02, 2013
deejay_harry1: tht it iz exynos powered, dosnt make it the original s4.. i have seen so much fake s4 around...

even an mtk real s4...

so much fakerz

So gsmarena now posts fake specs?
Re: Single Sim Phones Vs Dual Sim Phones, Which Is Better? by Nobody: 7:06pm On Nov 02, 2013
Lord_Reed:

So gsmarena now posts fake PHONES?
yes, if recognized..
Re: Single Sim Phones Vs Dual Sim Phones, Which Is Better? by LordReed(m): 7:21pm On Nov 02, 2013
deejay_harry1: yes, if recognized..

Stop being fatuous joor. Did you even click the link to see that that is Samsung Galaxy S4 dual sim variant? So gsmarena will post fake specs for Samsung? And Samsung will not respond?
Re: Single Sim Phones Vs Dual Sim Phones, Which Is Better? by caukerzee(m): 7:26pm On Nov 02, 2013
deejay_harry1: yes, if recognized..
Seconded.
Re: Single Sim Phones Vs Dual Sim Phones, Which Is Better? by caukerzee(m): 7:30pm On Nov 02, 2013
Lord_Reed:

Stop being fatuous joor. Did you even click the link to see that that is Samsung Galaxy S4 dual sim variant? So gsmarena will post fake specs for Samsung? And Samsung will not respond?
GsM Arena is a privately owned site. Not some 'phone government'. I don't think Samsung is in contact with them.

1 Like

Re: Single Sim Phones Vs Dual Sim Phones, Which Is Better? by Nobody: 7:33pm On Nov 02, 2013
Lord_Reed:

k.. keep living on ur thoughts tho. ..
.u are free to buy any type of s4 u see...

watever nigga

1 Like

Re: Single Sim Phones Vs Dual Sim Phones, Which Is Better? by Nobody: 7:33pm On Nov 02, 2013
caukerzee: GsM Arena is a privately owned site. Not dome 'phone government'. I don't think Samsung is in contact with them.
AGREED...
Re: Single Sim Phones Vs Dual Sim Phones, Which Is Better? by flawless911(m): 7:35pm On Nov 02, 2013
So many biased comments here
Re: Single Sim Phones Vs Dual Sim Phones, Which Is Better? by LordReed(m): 7:40pm On Nov 02, 2013
caukerzee: GsM Arena is a privately owned site. Not some 'phone government'. I don't think Samsung is in contact with them.
deejay_harry1: k.. keep living on ur thoughts tho. ..
.u are free to buy any type of s4 u see...

watever nigga

I can see you are both angry to be proved wrong. It does not kill to accept that one didn't know something.

Official Samsung site:
http://m.samsung.com/hk_en/consumer/mobile/mobile-phones/smartphone/GT-I9505ZKATGY
Re: Single Sim Phones Vs Dual Sim Phones, Which Is Better? by Nobody: 7:43pm On Nov 02, 2013
Lord_Reed:

I can see you are both angry to be proved wrong. It does not kill to accept that one didn't know something.
while u are at it, u can also buy this s4 if u want... dont give a hoot tho... watever makez u happy... cant help but laff, IMAGINE A DUAL SIM S4grin grin grin

fake azz shii errwhere..

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/I9500-phone-1-1-Android-4-2-2-phone-real-8MP-Camera-1GRam-4GB-Rom-Galaxy/1187567326.html

1 Like

Re: Single Sim Phones Vs Dual Sim Phones, Which Is Better? by caukerzee(m): 7:48pm On Nov 02, 2013
Lord_Reed:

5 variants of the S4 are normally talked about and S4 duos is not one of them. That's some fake sh¡t.
Re: Single Sim Phones Vs Dual Sim Phones, Which Is Better? by LordReed(m): 7:48pm On Nov 02, 2013
deejay_harry1: while u are at it, u can also buy this s4 if u want... dont give a hoot tho... watever makez u happy... cant help but laff, IMAGINE A DUAL SIM S4grin grin grin

fake azz shii errwhere..

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/I9500-phone-1-1-Android-4-2-2-phone-real-8MP-Camera-1GRam-4GB-Rom-Galaxy/1187567326.html

Stop showing us fake the real one exists

Official Samsung Site:
http://m.samsung.com/hk_en/consumer/mobile/mobile-phones/smartphone/GT-I9505ZKATGY
Re: Single Sim Phones Vs Dual Sim Phones, Which Is Better? by caukerzee(m): 7:49pm On Nov 02, 2013
deejay_harry1: while u are at it, u can also buy this s4 if u want... dont give a hoot tho... watever makez u happy... cant help but laff, IMAGINE A DUAL SIM S4grin grin grin

fake azz shii errwhere..

+1

1 Like

Re: Single Sim Phones Vs Dual Sim Phones, Which Is Better? by Nobody: 7:56pm On Nov 02, 2013
Lord_Reed:

Stop showing us fake the real one exists

Official Samsung Site:
nope.. buy the dual sim shii na..

#kmt...

when wannabez wanna be the BE,S....

fake shii can never be d real, no dual sim s4 was official from samsung... showing me som shii on a site owned by an individual[gsmarena] dosnt make nada real... OFF
Re: Single Sim Phones Vs Dual Sim Phones, Which Is Better? by LordReed(m): 7:56pm On Nov 02, 2013

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Which Samsung Phone Can I Buy For My Wife Between The Budget Of N100k-N150k / 10 Tips To Keep Your Phone Safe And Private / Tecno Boom J5 Lollipop Smartphone [all You Need To Know]

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 61
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.