Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,918 members, 7,802,985 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 06:32 AM

The Day Atiku Blasted Obasanjo To His Face - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / The Day Atiku Blasted Obasanjo To His Face (24700 Views)

Emmanuel Iwuanyanwu And Wife Blasted By Trolls [PICS] / Man Blasted For Bowing For Iara Oshiomhole At A Public Function (pic) / ECOWAS Vows Never To Invite Obasanjo To Monitor Election (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Day Atiku Blasted Obasanjo To His Face by Codedrock(m): 7:10am On Nov 02, 2013
Former Vice-President of Nigeria, Alhaji Atiku Abubakar, has revealed that he “blasted” his then boss, former President Olusegun Obasanjo, over his bid to run for a second term.

Abubakar made the disclosure during an interview with a newspaper published in Hausa.

In the interview published by an online publication on Friday, Abubakar also disclosed that he and Obasanjo argued over his failed third term bid. Atiku said during one of their arguments, Obasanjo gave him a Quran to swear loyalty to him.

He said, “At first we started arguing, and then he (Obasanjo) opened his drawer and brought out a copy of the Quran and asked me to swear that I will not be disloyal to him. There was nothing I did not tell him in that room. The first thing I told him was that I swore with the Quran to defend the Constitution of Nigeria. Why are you now giving me the Quran to swear for you again? What if I swear for you and you go against the constitution?

“Secondly, I looked at him and told him that if I don’t like you or don’t support you, would I have called 19 northern governors to meet for three days in my House in Kaduna only for us to turn our back on you?

“Thirdly, I asked him, what are you even doing with the Quran? Are you a Muslim that you would even administer an oath on me with the Quran? I was angry, and I really blasted him. He asked me to forgive him and he returned the Quran back to the drawer, and we came out.”

Obasanjo’s third term bid failed following public outcry over what many saw as unconstitutional.

Speaking further about the controversial bid, which could have taken Obasanjo to a record 12 years as the country’s president, Atiku said he vehemently told Obasanjo to leave after the completion of his second term in office.

He said, “In fact we had the same kind of altercation when he was gunning for third term, he informed me that “ I left power twenty years ago, I left Mubarak in office, I left Mugabe in office, I left Eyadema in office, I left Umar Bongo, and even Paul Biya and I came back and they are still in power; and I just did eight years and you are asking me to go; why?” And I responded to him by telling him that Nigeria is not Libya, not Egypt, not Cameroun, and not Togo; I said you must leave; even if it means both of us lose out, but you cannot stay.”

Obasanjo and Atiku fell out at some point during their administration, with reports that the two did not see eye to eye.

There were also unconfirmed reports that the two of them fell out because Obasanjo went back on his promise to use one term in office and support Atiku’s candidacy for the presidency after his four years. Some reports claimed that Obasanjo had to go on his knees to seek Atiku’s support for his second term.

Atiku denied that his former boss went on his knees to plead for his support. He, however, said that Obasanjo visited his residence to plead for his support.

He said, “Honestly, he did not kneel down for me. But he did come to my house and I refused to see him. And he knocked my door continuously and asked me in the name of God to come out, so I came out, and we went downstairs, and he asked me to join him in his car and I said, no, because of security reasons, but he insisted. So when we entered his car, I never knew that he had gone round states pavilions and asking for the support of governors and delegates and they refused to listen to him because they have not seen us together. So that was why he came and picked me up so that we would go round together. There is something that many people did not know before, which I will tell you now.

“We sat with party elders and discussed the issue of Presidency and there was debate as to whether the South will have eight or four years? If the South had eight years, so the north too should have eight years subsequently. After lots of debates, it was finally agreed that the South should have eight years. And when power returns to the north, they should also have it for eight years.

“However, governors objected to this arrangement. I was then in a dilemma; is the governors’ objection genuine or just a political gimmick. What if I followed them to run against the president and they later on turn their back on me and align with the president? At the end of the day, one would neither be a vice president or a president because politics is a slippery game.”

Concerning his role in the recent breakup of the Peoples Democratic Party, where Abubakar led a number of PDP governors out of the party’s convention, Abubakar said they had spent four months plotting the move.

He said, “We have been planning for some time because we have spent almost four months planning how to split the PDP.

“At first I didn’t know the arrowhead, but they eventually came and met me and I joined them because their reasons are the same with the ones I have been fighting against within the party; lack of fairness, honesty and tyranny. If I can fight the military to restore democracy, why can’t I fight fellow politicians?”

Abubakar added that the breakaway faction of the party had appealed a court judgment declaring its association illegal.

“We have appealed; and we are planning seriously, you will see what will happen,” he said.

http://www.punchng.com/news/day-i-blasted-obasanjo-to-his-face-atiku/

1 Like

Re: The Day Atiku Blasted Obasanjo To His Face by jhydebaba(m): 7:18am On Nov 02, 2013
2015 on their minds.

Bad losers undecided

1 Like

Re: The Day Atiku Blasted Obasanjo To His Face by Nobody: 7:20am On Nov 02, 2013
hmmm..Na wa oo.
No permanent friend or Enemy in Politics..I wish atiku said this while he was still in office

1 Like

Re: The Day Atiku Blasted Obasanjo To His Face by Mepounds(m): 7:27am On Nov 02, 2013
And after that,where are you now?You have totally lost political significance while Obj remains sound.

8 Likes

Re: The Day Atiku Blasted Obasanjo To His Face by Chanchit: 7:31am On Nov 02, 2013
Eeyah, that is why ur one term bid failed... It seems this Atiku injury still dey there o, he just won't stop calling that name OBASANJO....!
Re: The Day Atiku Blasted Obasanjo To His Face by manlawal(m): 8:06am On Nov 02, 2013
I dey laugh ooooooooooo grin
Re: The Day Atiku Blasted Obasanjo To His Face by gboso1ne(m): 8:06am On Nov 02, 2013
What can I say...politics is not good for ur health

3 Likes

Re: The Day Atiku Blasted Obasanjo To His Face by Codedrock(m): 10:07am On Nov 02, 2013
Mepounds: And after that,where are you now?You have totally lost political significance while Obj remains sound.
THANKS JOR..

3 Likes

Re: The Day Atiku Blasted Obasanjo To His Face by Codedrock(m): 10:26am On Nov 02, 2013
gboso1ne: What can I say...politics is not good for ur health
then shutup bro if you no know wat to say instead saying rom.
Re: The Day Atiku Blasted Obasanjo To His Face by stebell(m): 11:04am On Nov 02, 2013
Politically, wat hv yu Atiku achieved after blasting ur former boss. Mtcheew.

2 Likes

Re: The Day Atiku Blasted Obasanjo To His Face by Fynestboi: 11:07am On Nov 02, 2013
battnis: hmmm..Na wa oo.
No permanent friend or Enemy in Politics..I wish atiku said this while he was still in office
abi oo. SMH for them.
Re: The Day Atiku Blasted Obasanjo To His Face by nairaman66(m): 11:10am On Nov 02, 2013
That's the day he signed the death of his political aspirations!!

2 Likes

Re: The Day Atiku Blasted Obasanjo To His Face by Phikom(m): 11:14am On Nov 02, 2013
the adventure of atiku...
Re: The Day Atiku Blasted Obasanjo To His Face by badmrkt(m): 11:14am On Nov 02, 2013
Mepounds: And after that,where are you now?You have totally lost political significance while Obj remains sound.
politically sound?, maybe only to the Yorubas...by the way, where is he?

6 Likes

Re: The Day Atiku Blasted Obasanjo To His Face by eagleeye2: 11:15am On Nov 02, 2013
una don hear am, OBJ never begged Atiku on his knees
Re: The Day Atiku Blasted Obasanjo To His Face by Kelechi2020(m): 11:17am On Nov 02, 2013
nonsense
Re: The Day Atiku Blasted Obasanjo To His Face by EyesWideOpen(m): 11:17am On Nov 02, 2013
Cringe-worthy! angry
Re: The Day Atiku Blasted Obasanjo To His Face by Exjoker(m): 11:17am On Nov 02, 2013
make i hear ween...OBJ na ur playmate or dont u hav respect 4 an eldaly man
Re: The Day Atiku Blasted Obasanjo To His Face by RockMaxi: 11:17am On Nov 02, 2013
What else is Atiku looking for?
Re: The Day Atiku Blasted Obasanjo To His Face by IAMBREEZY: 11:17am On Nov 02, 2013
Hmmm
Re: The Day Atiku Blasted Obasanjo To His Face by OkikiOluwa1(m): 11:24am On Nov 02, 2013
Reserved.
Re: The Day Atiku Blasted Obasanjo To His Face by Elxandre(m): 11:27am On Nov 02, 2013
all through his statement,
I saw nothing but greed. Power greed by men who have nothing to offer than greed and an insatiable lust for power.
How can a sane political figure say a region of the country should rule for 8 years, and another region rule for 8 years after too?
That means the voters dont even have a choice?
Which sane country tries to delegate power to a particular region for a specified lenght of time?
One stup1d group of old Men keep imposing rulers on Nigerians, and all we can do is support them?
Nepotism will ruin this country.

16 Likes

Re: The Day Atiku Blasted Obasanjo To His Face by VICTORCIZA(m): 11:27am On Nov 02, 2013
What you never succede to force Obj to do you think you can force Gej to do it. GEJ IS GOING FOR HIS SECOND TENURE AND YOU AND TIFUNUBU.BOKOHARIA AND OTHER LOSERS WILL NOT SUCCEDE.by the way were is obasanjo? Ever since his son was rumored to have died in tha plane crash we havnt heard from him

6 Likes

Re: The Day Atiku Blasted Obasanjo To His Face by adebayo201: 11:27am On Nov 02, 2013
badmrkt: politically sound?, maybe only to the Yorubas...by the way, where is he?
Smh! badmarket indeed!shocked
Re: The Day Atiku Blasted Obasanjo To His Face by Nobody: 11:29am On Nov 02, 2013
Seriously, what is Obasanjo doing with a Quran? that man is a comedian...

5 Likes

Re: The Day Atiku Blasted Obasanjo To His Face by tyogdaniel(m): 11:29am On Nov 02, 2013
Been reading his writeups and it's lyk he's looking for sympathy.

Question is, FRM WHO?! ME?
Smh

1 Like

Re: The Day Atiku Blasted Obasanjo To His Face by 2gbasky22(m): 11:31am On Nov 02, 2013
Quest for sympathy
Re: The Day Atiku Blasted Obasanjo To His Face by OkikiOluwa1(m): 11:32am On Nov 02, 2013
If what Atiku said is true,
OBJ fall the hands of all Nigerians.
1st Bullet:
How can he be claiming that he left Enyadema, Gaddafi, Mugabe in office in the '70s & still came back to meet them? So therefore, he must do 3rd term to become Nigeria's longest serving leader.
Who asked him to create a useless history?
2nd Bullet:
How can he go for 3rd term when his 1st two terms are below average. He even dared to change Nigeria's constitution. What nonsense? He generated 1500MW of electricity within 8 years. That's F9. Even GEJ, the most critized president in the world generated over 2000MW within 2years.
3rd Bullet:
Now, Atiku is revealing his die minute shameful acts in power cos of his greed for power. Even that Atiku o, na error for Nigeria. Imagine!
4th Bullet:
There's nothing a power drunk president won't do just to stay in power. Even if he/she ll murdrer his father, rrrape his mum or lick the vvvagina of his daughter in law.
Last Bullet:
Only God knows what GEJ ll do towards 2015.
Last Bullet:
O' Lord, we need a good leader. This punishment is too much for Nigeria.

6 Likes

Re: The Day Atiku Blasted Obasanjo To His Face by kambili999(f): 11:34am On Nov 02, 2013
c these big boys
Re: The Day Atiku Blasted Obasanjo To His Face by Nobody: 11:38am On Nov 02, 2013
Two fighting...Is there any available cane?...sm pple need to be flogged
Re: The Day Atiku Blasted Obasanjo To His Face by muktarmtt(m): 11:42am On Nov 02, 2013
u r wrong my broda Atiku is still sound while abj is down he led d PDP faction paty and it course a great problem to PDP abj cnt do dat he is inrelevant.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Amaechi: "I Was Broke, My Friend Gave N200m After I Prayed, Fasted For 3 Months" / Thirty Nine Parties To Adopt Atiku / Buhari Is An Accidental President – Fayose, Lampoons Femi Adesina

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.