Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,893 members, 7,802,876 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 12:41 AM

Recommended Glasses For Viewing Solar Eclipse - Science/Technology - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Recommended Glasses For Viewing Solar Eclipse (10968 Views)

Picture Of Solar Eclipse As Seen In Ibadan / Live Updates On Today's Solar Eclipse / How To Safely Observe Sunday’s Solar Eclipse (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Recommended Glasses For Viewing Solar Eclipse by Pinkybush: 6:57am On Nov 03, 2013
Please for the interest of the masses who will love to view today's sunday (Nov. 3, 2013) eclipse, it is advice to use welder's No 13 and No 14 glasses for avoidance of permanent blindness.

The Sun can be viewed safely with the naked eye only during the few brief seconds or minutes of a total solar eclipse. Partial eclipses, annular eclipses, and the partial phases of total eclipses are never safe to watch without taking special precautions. Even when 99% of the Sun's surface is obscured during the partial phases of a total eclipse, the remaining photospheric crescent is intensely bright and cannot be viewed safely without eye protection [Chou, 1981; Marsh, 1982]. Do not attempt to observe the partial or annular phases of any eclipse with the naked eye. Failure to use appropriate filtration may result in permanent eye damage or blindness!

Generally, the same equipment, techniques and precautions used to observe the Sun outside of eclipse are required for annular eclipses and the partial phases of total eclipses [Reynolds & Sweetsir, 1995; Pasachoff & Covington, 1993; Pasachoff & Menzel, 1992; Sherrod, 1981]. The safest and most inexpensive of these methods is by projection, in which a pinhole or small opening is used to cast the image of the Sun on a screen placed a half-meter or more beyond the opening. Projected images of the Sun may even be seen on the ground in the small openings created by interlacing fingers, or in the dappled sunlight beneath a leafy tree. Binoculars can also be used to project a magnified image of the Sun on a white card, but you must avoid the temptation of using these instruments for direct viewing.

The Sun can be viewed directly only when using filters specifically designed for this purpose. Such filters usually have a thin layer of aluminum, chromium or silver deposited on their surfaces that attenuates ultraviolet, visible, and infrared energy. One of the most widely available filters for safe solar viewing is a number 14 welder's glass, available through welding supply outlets. More recently, aluminized mylar has become a popular, inexpensive alternative. Mylar can easily be cut with scissors and adapted to any kind of box or viewing device. A number of sources for solar filters are listed below. No filter is safe to use with any optical device (i.e. - telescope, binoculars, etc.) unless it has been specifically designed for that purpose. Experienced amateur and professional astronomers may also use one or two layers of completely exposed and fully developed black-and-white film, provided the film contains a silver emulsion. Since all developed color films lack silver, they are always unsafe for use in solar viewing.

Unsafe filters include color film, some non-silver black and white film, medical x-ray films with images on them, smoked glass, photographic neutral density filters and polarizing filters. Solar filters designed to thread into eyepieces which are often sold with inexpensive telescopes are also dangerous. They should not be used for viewing the Sun at any time since they often crack from overheating. Do not experiment with other filters unless you are certain that they are safe. Damage to the eyes comes predominantly from invisible infrared wavelengths. The fact that the Sun appears dark in a filter or that you feel no discomfort does not guarantee that your eyes are safe. Avoid all unnecessary risks. Your local planetarium or amateur astronomy club is a good source for additional information.

In spite of these precautions, the total phase of an eclipse can and should be viewed without any filters whatsoever. The naked eye view of totality is completely safe and is overwhelmingly awe-inspiring!
http://eclipse.gsfc.nasa.gov/SEhelp/safety.html

1 Like

Re: Recommended Glasses For Viewing Solar Eclipse by UcheHarmony: 7:35am On Nov 03, 2013
Just passing
Re: Recommended Glasses For Viewing Solar Eclipse by Pinkybush: 8:41am On Nov 03, 2013
Apart 4rm d glasses if u hav any other way 2 view without damaging d eyes, pls pass d info
Re: Recommended Glasses For Viewing Solar Eclipse by Dygeasy(m): 9:48am On Nov 03, 2013
grin
Re: Recommended Glasses For Viewing Solar Eclipse by osytex: 9:49am On Nov 03, 2013
Till then..
Re: Recommended Glasses For Viewing Solar Eclipse by hrykanu231(m): 9:49am On Nov 03, 2013
Ok
Re: Recommended Glasses For Viewing Solar Eclipse by dani1luv: 9:50am On Nov 03, 2013
Na by force to look sun? lipsrsealed undecided
Re: Recommended Glasses For Viewing Solar Eclipse by iamswizz(m): 9:50am On Nov 03, 2013
Hello, please i am new here

Is it true that nairaland is owned by Seun Osewa?

Because he has been my tenant for the past 4 years now.

And i need my rent oo

16 Likes

Re: Recommended Glasses For Viewing Solar Eclipse by amakufrancis(m): 9:50am On Nov 03, 2013
is sun glass

not allowed?
Re: Recommended Glasses For Viewing Solar Eclipse by Abbey2sam(m): 9:52am On Nov 03, 2013
What time are we expecting this eclipse......

Thanks
Re: Recommended Glasses For Viewing Solar Eclipse by Bootybuttchic(f): 9:53am On Nov 03, 2013
Not for sale... grin
Re: Recommended Glasses For Viewing Solar Eclipse by Lucaskid(m): 9:54am On Nov 03, 2013
Re: Recommended Glasses For Viewing Solar Eclipse by KwoiZabo(m): 9:56am On Nov 03, 2013
i have my welders glass intact. let the eclipse begin cool
Re: Recommended Glasses For Viewing Solar Eclipse by AbuMikey(m): 10:00am On Nov 03, 2013

As me nor con get welder glass wen be like Stauskhan1 own nkor? undecided

Re: Recommended Glasses For Viewing Solar Eclipse by Capnd143(m): 10:00am On Nov 03, 2013
iamswizz: Hello, please i am new here

Is it true that nairaland is owned by Seun Osewa?

Because he has been my tenant for the past 4 years now.
im neva pay ur rent?
Re: Recommended Glasses For Viewing Solar Eclipse by starmehigh: 10:03am On Nov 03, 2013
Re: Recommended Glasses For Viewing Solar Eclipse by Datiboboi: 10:03am On Nov 03, 2013
Abbey2sam: What time are we expecting this eclipse......

Thanks
Re: Recommended Glasses For Viewing Solar Eclipse by Capnd143(m): 10:03am On Nov 03, 2013
Is the esclipse going to be visible in akwa ibom state and can i use my new google glasses runing on the android 4.4 operating system?
Re: Recommended Glasses For Viewing Solar Eclipse by imsuboi(m): 10:05am On Nov 03, 2013
Capnd143: Is the esclipse going to be visible in akwa ibom state and can i use my new google glasses runing on the android 4.4 operating system?

undecided undecided undecided undecided undecided undecided
Re: Recommended Glasses For Viewing Solar Eclipse by Nobody: 10:06am On Nov 03, 2013
Abbey2sam: What time are we expecting this eclipse......

Thanks
Between 12noon-4pm
Re: Recommended Glasses For Viewing Solar Eclipse by eagleeye2: 10:08am On Nov 03, 2013
What of those driving or travelling when the eclipse occur?
Re: Recommended Glasses For Viewing Solar Eclipse by UjSizzle(f): 10:10am On Nov 03, 2013
Help me out here, i wanna see this eclipse with my eyes not through a pin hole sad
I was in boarding school during the last eclipse, and they provided welder glasses for us and the bowl of water thingy, even though i was still tempted enough to attempt viewing with my naked eyes....got a wack on the head for all my effort cheesy

3 Likes

Re: Recommended Glasses For Viewing Solar Eclipse by Nobody: 10:14am On Nov 03, 2013
eagle,eye:
What of those driving or travelling when the eclipse occur?
Hey cheer up bros. it's not total, it's just a partial eclipse.
Re: Recommended Glasses For Viewing Solar Eclipse by eluquenson(m): 10:18am On Nov 03, 2013
Can I view the sun with my photochromic lens?
Re: Recommended Glasses For Viewing Solar Eclipse by Preshnenye(f): 10:21am On Nov 03, 2013
Ok na
Re: Recommended Glasses For Viewing Solar Eclipse by Sanguine(f): 10:21am On Nov 03, 2013
The last eclipse wey happen, I look am with my korokoro eyes and I never blind. So I go open my eye look this one as I nor get any special eclipse eyeglass and I never see where them dey sell am. grin grin.

2 Likes

Re: Recommended Glasses For Viewing Solar Eclipse by kayword(m): 10:22am On Nov 03, 2013
I heard some people saying they wil observe the sun in a basin of water. Is this safe?
Re: Recommended Glasses For Viewing Solar Eclipse by Lagusta(m): 10:23am On Nov 03, 2013
Make I go borrow Baba mulika welder glasses!!!
Re: Recommended Glasses For Viewing Solar Eclipse by Classicalman(m): 10:26am On Nov 03, 2013
I have the welder's glasses for sale. :HURRY NOW LIMITED QUANTITIES AVAILABLE.
Re: Recommended Glasses For Viewing Solar Eclipse by freeradical(m): 10:35am On Nov 03, 2013
Is it safe to view the eclipse of the sun using ur phone camera?
Re: Recommended Glasses For Viewing Solar Eclipse by Pinkybush: 10:41am On Nov 03, 2013
amaku francis: is sun glass

not allowed?
yea! It is nt gud 2 use sun glasses bcoz it can stop d wavelength
Re: Recommended Glasses For Viewing Solar Eclipse by Pinkybush: 10:44am On Nov 03, 2013
Wat if it rains can we still see d eclipse?

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

NIMET Predicts Less Rainfall In 2016 / How To Get Mtn 5gb For 50naira 10gb For 100naira / How To Call Nigerian Landline From Mobile (within Nigeria)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 25
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.