Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,359 members, 7,808,248 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 09:23 AM

Learn How To Backup Your Android Device - Phones - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / Learn How To Backup Your Android Device (2109 Views)

How To Watch DSTV Channels Live On Your Android Device / MTN Android Device Now Available? / How To Backup Your Android Apps As Apk Using Es File Explorer (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Learn How To Backup Your Android Device by donclark(m): 5:05pm On Nov 03, 2013
The Android phones have come to stay and is obviously taking over Nigeria and other parts of the world. The importance of data backup in mobiles and other storage system cannot be over emphasized.

How much important information do you keep on your Android? Would you be heartbroken if your Android was lost or stolen, and all your photos, text messages, contacts, and other valuable data were gone for good, too? Prevent that disastrous scenario by backing up your phone.

The key to backing up any data is redundancy. You should always have more than one copy of your data.

The First Copy
I recommend making the first backup of your Android data be a copy of the SD card you keep on your computer. I'll list the basic steps here, but note that, with Android devices, there may be slight variations in the exact wording or steps.

1. Connect your Android device to your computer (Windows or Mac should both work) via the USB cable.

2. On your Android, pull down the main menu (swipe down from the top of the screen) and select "USB connection."

3. On the next page, choose USB Mass Storage and hit OK.

4. You'll see a new drive or "Removable Disk" appear on your computer for the SD card. Open it up, and copy all the files inside to a new location on your computer. I would put the date right into the name of the folder—something like "130815_ANDROID-SD-CARD-BACKUP"—so you can very easily identify it and when it was created.

This first backup copy is all well and good, and you'll be thankful you have it if anything goes wrong, but it's not likely to be updated too often. So for your second backup, I recommend choosing a method that will update more frequently to ensure you have all the most recent photos, texts, settings, and everything else stored on your Android.

But seeing as Android is all about giving users choice, there are a few different options.

The Second Copy
For your second backup copy, you can 1) use an app, 2) take a DIY method, or 3) use the slightly complicated Nandroid backup system for root users only (which I do not cover here due to its complexity and the fact that it's limited to root users).

Using a backup app—and I list a few of them below—removes most of the management, organization, and upkeep out of backing up your Android. It's kind of like a "set it and forget it" solution, although part of the "setting it" means entering your credit card information, as these services generally aren't free.

The DIY method, which is typically free, takes a bit more effort because you'll back up different kinds of information to different places: your settings to Google, for example, but your text-messaging history to another service.

Option 1. Use a Backup App
Here are a few apps you might consider using to back up your Android.

Helium Premium ($4.99) works for both root and non-root users, and it lets you schedule backups to go to a cloud syncing and storage service, including Google Drive, Dropbox, and Box. There is a free version of Helium available, but it doesn't let you back up to a cloud service, which is really the piece you want if you're already making a copy of your SD card manually every now and again.

G Cloud Backup (free to download and includes 1GB cloud storage space) is another app to consider. It lets you back up more than one device to a single account. If you need more space, you can earn it through referrals and other activity, such as tweeting about the service (up to 8GB), or just pay for more (32GB is $32 per year).

MyBackup Pro ($4.99) works on both rooted and unrooted phones. If you don't know what root means in this context, don't worry about it. That's a clear sign that MyBackup Pro is a good app for you (if you're curious about rooting, see "A Concise Guide to Android Rooting"wink.

Root users may prefer Titanium Backup Pro Key ($6.58) which requires a rooted phones and a second app, called simply Titanium Backup (free). Install the free app first, then buy the Pro app, which acts like a key to unlock the advanced features.

Option 2. Back Up Piece-by-Piece (mostly free)
If you're interested in the DIY solutions, you'll want to back up various data stored on your Android piece-by-piece. Here's how I would break it down:

I. Apps, Contacts, Email, Calendar, and Settings (using Google as the backup source)

1. Go to Settings > Privacy.

2. Tick two boxes: Back up my settings and Automatic restore.

3. Go to Settings > Account & sync.

4. Select Google.

5. Tick the boxes: Sync Contacts, Sync Gmail, Sync Calendar.

II. Photos: 3 options

A. Photos using Google+ Instant Upload for Android 2.2. and later

1. Install the Google+ app.

2. Log in with your Google account. When prompted, enable Instant Upload. If you already have the Google+ app installed, enable Instant Upload through the Settings menu.

3. Return to your Android's home screen. Now go to Settings > Accounts & sync. Select the account you want and tick the box for Sync instant upload. Now when you take photos, they will be uploaded automatically to your Google+ account to a private folder called

B. Photos using manual back up to a computer

1. Plug your Android device into your computer using the USB cord.

2. Put your Android into disc drive mode, and open the drive. The phone will appear as a connected device on your computer.

3. Open the device, and look for the folder called DCIM. That folder contains your photos and videos.

4. Select the files, and drag them to copy them to your computer.

C. Photos using a third-party file-syncing app and service

1. Download a third-party app that lets you upload photos to a hosting service. Options might include Dropbox and SugarSync.

2. In the app settings, turn on the Instant Upload feature (both Dropbox and SugarSync have one), which ensures that photos you snap are automatically uploaded to your Dropbox or SugarSync account.

III. SMS, MMS, call logs, using a third-party app

You'll need yet another third-party app to save text messages, unless you use Google Voice, in which case Google will back up everything for you. Here are a few options:

Backup to Gmail ($1.99)

SMS Backup & Restore Pro ($1.49)

SMS Backup + (free)

http://thetechtherapy..com/2013/10/learn-how-to-backup-your-android-device.html

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Learn How To Backup Your Android Device by Mizzzbeee(f): 3:11pm On Oct 21, 2014
donclark:
The Android phones have come to stay and is obviously taking over Nigeria and other parts of the world. The importance of data backup in mobiles and other storage system cannot be over emphasized.

How much important information do you keep on your Android? Would you be heartbroken if your Android was lost or stolen, and all your photos, text messages, contacts, and other valuable data were gone for good, too? Prevent that disastrous scenario by backing up your phone.

The key to backing up any data is redundancy. You should always have more than one copy of your data.

The First Copy
I recommend making the first backup of your Android data be a copy of the SD card you keep on your computer. I'll list the basic steps here, but note that, with Android devices, there may be slight variations in the exact wording or steps.

1. Connect your Android device to your computer (Windows or Mac should both work) via the USB cable.

2. On your Android, pull down the main menu (swipe down from the top of the screen) and select "USB connection."

4. You'll see a new drive or "Removable Disk" appear on your computer for the SD card. Open it up, and copy all the files inside to a new location on your computer. I would put the date right into the name of the folder—something like "130815_ANDROID-SD-CARD-BACKUP"—so you can very easily identify it and when it was created.

This first backup copy is all well and good, and you'll be thankful you have it if anything goes wrong, but it's not likely to be updated too often. So for your second backup, I recommend choosing a method that will update more frequently to ensure you have all the most recent photos, texts, settings, and everything else stored on your Android.

But seeing as Android is all about giving users choice, there are a few different options.

The Second Copy
For your second backup copy, you can 1) use an app, 2) take a DIY method, or 3) use the slightly complicated Nandroid backup system for root users only (which I do not cover here due to its complexity and the fact that it's limited to root users).

Using a backup app—and I list a few of them below—removes most of the management, organization, and upkeep out of backing up your Android. It's kind of like a "set it and forget it" solution, although part of the "setting it" means entering your credit card information, as these services generally aren't free.

The DIY method, which is typically free, takes a bit more effort because you'll back up different kinds of information to different places: your settings to Google, for example, but your text-messaging history to another service.

Helium Premium ($4.99) works for both root and non-root users, and it lets you schedule backups to go to a cloud syncing and storage service, including Google Drive, Dropbox, and Box. There is a free version of Helium available, but it doesn't let you back up to a cloud service, which is really the piece you want if you're already making a copy of your SD card manually every now and again.

G Cloud Backup (free to download and includes 1GB cloud storage space) is another app to consider. It lets you back up more than one device to a single account. If you need more space, you can earn it through referrals and other activity, such as tweeting about the service (up to 8GB), or just pay for more (32GB is $32 per year).

MyBackup Pro ($4.99) works on both rooted and unrooted phones. If you don't know what root means in this context, don't worry about it. That's a clear sign that MyBackup Pro is a good app for you (if you're curious about rooting, see "A Concise Guide to Android Rooting"wink.

Root users may prefer Titanium Backup Pro Key ($6.58) which requires a rooted phones and a second app, called simply Titanium Backup (free). Install the free app first, then buy the Pro app, which acts like a key to unlock the advanced features.

If you're interested in the DIY solutions, you'll want to back up various data stored on your Android piece-by-piece. Here's how I would break it down:

I. Apps, Contacts, Email, Calendar, and Settings (using Google as the backup source)

4. Select Google.

2. Log in with your Google account. When prompted, enable Instant Upload. If you already have the Google+ app installed, enable Instant Upload through the Settings menu.

3. Return to your Android's home screen. Now go to Settings > Accounts & sync. Select the account you want and tick the box for Sync instant upload. Now when you take photos, they will be uploaded automatically to your Google+ account to a private folder called

2. Put your Android into disc drive mode, and open the drive. The phone will appear as a connected device on your computer.

3. Open the device, and look for the folder called DCIM. That folder contains your photos and videos.

1. Download a third-party app that lets you upload photos to a hosting service. Options might include Dropbox and SugarSync.

2. In the app settings, turn on the Instant Upload feature (both Dropbox and SugarSync have one), which ensures that photos you snap are automatically uploaded to your Dropbox or SugarSync account.

You'll need yet another third-party app to save text messages, unless you use Google Voice, in which case Google will back up everything for you. Here are a few options:

Backup to Gmail ($1.99)

SMS Backup + (free)

OK tnx nice review.... Pls am not rooted but want to try d helium premium which do u really advise I use... Helium or my backup pro... And ps I know wat root means wink
Re: Learn How To Backup Your Android Device by epoxide(m): 5:22pm On Oct 21, 2014
Mizzzbeee:
OK tnx nice review.... Pls am not rooted but want to try d helium premium which do u really advise I use... Helium or my backup pro... And ps I know wat root means wink

damn! quoting all of that
Re: Learn How To Backup Your Android Device by Mizzzbeee(f): 7:21pm On Oct 21, 2014
epoxide:

damn! quoting all of that
lol grin grin grin cheesy
Re: Learn How To Backup Your Android Device by Grody11: 10:00am On Nov 19, 2014
For Android phone users, an assistant to backup and restore contents such as the contacts, call logs, SMS, music, movies, photos and even applications is very useful for us to manage phone data. In fact, it is very important for all Android users backing up their phone to computer, so that you can keep and restore all Android data from computer whenever the they are lost due to formatting SD card, deleting accidentally, resetting to factory data, rooting phone, etc.

To this point, how to backup and restore android on computer? Android Data Transfer can makes it easy, which provides you the easiest way to backup contacts, text messages, calendar, Call logs, playlists info, apps, photos, music and videos from Android device to your computer.

how to transfer text messages from android to computer
how to transfer contacts from android to computer
Re: Learn How To Backup Your Android Device by kolexepana: 2:53pm On May 25, 2016
Some copy and paste stuvvz here tongue
Nice piece anyway.
Re: Learn How To Backup Your Android Device by Lieber: 7:54am On Nov 24, 2017
Nice share.
Backup is a very common and important thing in our daily life. You can also see this video tutorial abot Android backup and restore:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MK0djdMIknY
Re: Learn How To Backup Your Android Device by sureinfo: 9:25am On Nov 24, 2017
donclark:

The First Copy

The Second Copy

4. Select Google.

Backup to Gmail ($1.99)

SMS Backup + (free)

Nice information but does it apply to all Android like the tecno spark or something?
Re: Learn How To Backup Your Android Device by yboney101: 7:44am On May 30, 2022
If you are having a problem with your Android device and you need to back up all your files but don't know how to do it, don't worry, just follow the guide here; How to Backup Android Phone: The Complete Guide in 2022

(1) (Reply)

Awoof GLO Credit / New From Mtn; 1.5gb Data For N1000 / How To Browse With MTN 20GB For N20 On All Devices

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 70
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.