Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,539 members, 7,808,988 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 08:36 PM

Of Mko Abiola And Roman Abramovich - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Of Mko Abiola And Roman Abramovich (19170 Views)

Who Has Been The Best And Worst Chelsea Manager In The Roman Abramovich Era? / (image Gallery) Chelsea Owner Roman Abramovich's Stunning $1.5bn Yacht / Photo Ostenatious Lifestyle Of Chelsea Owner, Roman Abramovich (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Of Mko Abiola And Roman Abramovich by Akolawole(m): 10:40am On Jun 12, 2006
Two of a Kind.

Business Mogul turned Club Owner.

Late Chief Abiola is one of the wealthiest man in Africa while according to London Sunday times, Roman worth £7.5bn.

Both came from very very poor background.

Alhaji Abiola formed Abiola Babes of Abeokuta while Roman bought over Chelsea of London.

Abiola shopped for the best players all over Nigeria, convince them with money to come to Abeokuta and they did come. The likes of Friday Christopher, Friday Ekpo, George Essien, Rashidi Yekini, Muda Lawal, Louis Igwilo cannot resist the enjoyment of Abeokuta.

Similarly, Roman brought Makalele,Essien,Ballack et la to London.

With the way they spend money on their football clubs, what is/was their mission, What do they want?
Re: Of Mko Abiola And Roman Abramovich by Akolawole(m): 10:40am On Jun 12, 2006
Two of a Kind.

Business Moguls turned Club Owners.

Late Chief Abiola is one of the wealthiest man in Africa while according to London Sunday times, Roman Abramovich worth £7.5bn.

Both came from very very poor background.

Alhaji Abiola formed Abiola Babes of Abeokuta while Roman bought over Chelsea of London.

Abiola shopped for the best players all over Nigeria, convince them with money to come to Abeokuta and they did come. The likes of Friday Christopher, Friday Ekpo, George Essien, Rashidi Yekini, Muda Lawal, Louis Igwilo cannot resist the enjoyment of Abeokuta.

Similarly, Roman brought Makalele,Essien,Ballack et la to London.

With the way they spend money on their football clubs, what is/was their mission, What do they want?

1 Share

Re: Of Mko Abiola And Roman Abramovich by spikelord(m): 10:46am On Jun 12, 2006
This thread appears twice on the Sports topics' list
Re: Of Mko Abiola And Roman Abramovich by kulio: 11:03am On Jun 12, 2006
hello i can see you took your time to go to the chelsea website to gt the pistures are you a chelseafan that will be nice.do gt back tome grin

Re: Of Mko Abiola And Roman Abramovich by hucarson(m): 1:55pm On Jun 12, 2006
@ Akola,
Please don't compare the 2.
Death is very different from sleep.
Roman is more ruthless and more powerful than Abiola.
With all the money MKO had to buy the best of players, his team was always playing 2nd fiddle to Leventis United of Ibadan at that time.
Leventis were simply magical. They were the Man Us of Nigeria in the mid-80's.
I think they won the treble in one season and they won FA cup as a 2nd division side. Isn't that remarkable?
Abiola Babes were good but Leventis stands taller.
Capice?

P.S. Roman Abrahamovic's net worth is $18.2 billion and he is the 11th richest man in the world and the 2nd richest in the UK.
Re: Of Mko Abiola And Roman Abramovich by rikkyjen(m): 2:17pm On Jun 12, 2006
Kulio, you seem to be new!!!.Dont you know Akolawole eats, sleep, and even dream of Mourinho cheesy cheesy
Re: Of Mko Abiola And Roman Abramovich by Akolawole(m): 2:34pm On Jun 12, 2006
hucarson:

@ Akola,
Please don't compare the 2.
Death is very different from sleep.
Roman is more ruthless and more powerful than Abiola.
With all the money MKO had to buy the best of players, his team was always playing 2nd fiddle to Leventis United of Ibadan at that time.
Leventis were simply magical. They were the Man Us of Nigeria in the mid-80's.
I think they won the treble in one season and they won FA cup as a 2nd division side. Isn't that remarkable?
Abiola Babes were good but Leventis stands taller.
Capice?

P.S. Roman Abrahamovic's net worth is $18.2 billion and he is the 11th richest man in the world and the 2nd richest in the UK.

1) What do you know about their powerfulness?

2) Your record is WRONG about Leventis United.

Note: Leventis first won the FA cup( challenge cup in those days) as a 3rd division team)

We are going off-topic again. Why are they spending that collosal amount of money at that time.
Re: Of Mko Abiola And Roman Abramovich by hucarson(m): 4:11pm On Jun 12, 2006
I knw every damn thang about Roman's powerfulness. How he was orphaned as a child and dropped out of college.
He made his fortune in a series of controversial oil-export deals and he made it big around the mid-90s when he teamed up with Boris Berezovsky to take over an oil giant company called Sibneft.
Berezovsky fled Russia in year 2000 to escape fraud charges and he sold his shares to Abarahamovic and the rest is history.
Roman Abarahamovic is now a friend of the government and was re-appointed the governor of Chukokta last year.
His wealth was more politically-rooted than his sweats and some school of thoughts think he might still be **brought to book if another government takes over in Russia.

**Berezovsky was one of the closest member of Boris Yeltsin(Ex-President of Russia) but fell out of favour when Vladimir Putin came to power in 2000. Roman might also find himself in this scenario should another President come into power. Berezovsky was granted a political asylum in the UK and he's not been able to go back to his native land.

Roman Abrahamovic is quite different from Abiola in terms of dissipating these funds lavishly.
Roman is just changing his dirty money(oil-money) into cool money fast before the arms of the law catch up with him.
Abiola on the other hand spent his money because of his own passion for the game and sports in general.
Remember Abiola was the chief pillar of sports in Africa. I don't know anywhere else Roman supports football or sports in Europe apart from the rumours that he has some percentage of shares at CSKA Moscow in Russia
Re: Of Mko Abiola And Roman Abramovich by Akolawole(m): 8:52pm On Jun 12, 2006
The question is "how powerful with examples"?
Re: Of Mko Abiola And Roman Abramovich by hucarson(m): 12:09pm On Jun 13, 2006
How powerful?
What examples are u talking about?

That Abiola had always been the Chief Sponsor of all the major coup d'etats in Nigeria?
How powerful can one get when u sponsor ur friends to stage coups and take-over the government?

The same goes for Abrahamovic. He is a friend of the government and he was allowed to leave Russia with his loot on the agreement he will not meddle and take part in the Russia's politics. He co-operated with Putin's government and he has been re-appointed as the Governor of Chukokta in Russia.

I dunno what u really wanna hear but these men are simply "friends of every government" in their respective countries.
Re: Of Mko Abiola And Roman Abramovich by GUNNER(f): 1:07pm On Jun 13, 2006
me thinks the only similarities between these two is that,

they were both rich men who had soccer clubs
Re: Of Mko Abiola And Roman Abramovich by Akolawole(m): 1:21pm On Jun 13, 2006
hucarson:

I knw every damn thang about Roman's powerfulness.
/quote]

You claim to know every damn thing about his powerfulness thats why i am asking you.

Why did they form football club?

What do they want to gain from it?
Re: Of Mko Abiola And Roman Abramovich by akara(m): 7:39pm On Mar 08, 2007
People who have money spend it on their passsion, In the case of both men football is the passion. They might have well have spent it on or invested in anything including marrying as many wives as possible grin.
Re: Of Mko Abiola And Roman Abramovich by kitaun(m): 8:40pm On Mar 08, 2007
Bloody Question is;

WHERE IS JACKAL? undecided cheesy
Re: Of Mko Abiola And Roman Abramovich by Danoe(m): 8:58pm On Mar 08, 2007
This is interesting! In 2005 I process and followed up the Chelsea Anniversary bonanza which pronounces me as a winner of 1 MILLION POUNDS STERLINGS, i have the documents with me, can some body give a good link on how to claim this money that was supposed to be paid by the Standard Assurance Bank Towers in London.
Re: Of Mko Abiola And Roman Abramovich by Babalegba(m): 12:32am On Mar 09, 2007
Typical,  Nigerians will always  respect and lie prostrate before any rich, corrupt, selfish, ruthless squirrelling crooked little slowpoke no matter what the individual has done to hurt his national economy and humanity in general to get the money. Shame
Re: Of Mko Abiola And Roman Abramovich by adconline(m): 7:19am On Mar 09, 2007
They were both into government contracts to make money. Besides, there is no basis for comparison. Intead it should be between Mr Glazer of Man UTD and Abramovich
Re: Of Mko Abiola And Roman Abramovich by endychux: 8:40am On Mar 09, 2007
Abramovich is not the 11th richest man in the world, rather he's 16th and worth $18.7b
u can check his out
http://www.cnn.com/2007/BUSINESS/03/08/billionaires.list.ap/index.html
Re: Of Mko Abiola And Roman Abramovich by natasha: 11:24am On Mar 09, 2007
pls before u post a topic, try and read carefully, do alot of research on ur words and facts before embarrassing ur self on the net. Comparing MKO and Abramovich is liek comparing Sudan and Canada.
Pls ur facts are wrong and i think u just want to be among the many members that start a thread.
Re: Of Mko Abiola And Roman Abramovich by Abdblues(m): 11:40am On Mar 09, 2007
And you should also read posts carefully before replying, Comparing both of them as it relates to soccer is very much in order: Two very rich people who then became club owners! It was clearly stated!!!
@ Akola, i know for a fact that Abiola invested in football because of his love for the sport, so much that he was always referred to as the pillar of sport in Africa. As for Abramovich, Only time would tell his real motive, but so far he has left only a few people in doubt about his passion for the game judging by how much money he has put in and how he follows Chelsea to most of their matches!
Re: Of Mko Abiola And Roman Abramovich by Akolawole(m): 11:57am On Mar 09, 2007
Who ressurect this after 9 months?

@Huccarson

Abiola is more influential than Roman.
Re: Of Mko Abiola And Roman Abramovich by wormedup(m): 12:01pm On Mar 09, 2007
well considering Roman has spent so much on chelsea, i'd say he hates football with a passion !

spending it on footie is just an avenue to dispose himself of superfluous wealth !
Re: Of Mko Abiola And Roman Abramovich by mukina2: 12:05pm On Mar 09, 2007
Akolawole:

Who ressurect this after 9 months?

@Huccarson

Abiola is more influential than Roman.

where do you expect him to spring from grin grin
his Papa is not here so pikin too will not be here grin grin
Re: Of Mko Abiola And Roman Abramovich by Akolawole(m): 12:06pm On Mar 09, 2007
natasha:

please before u post a topic, try and read carefully, do alot of research on your words and facts before embarrassing your self on the net. Comparing MKO and Abramovich is liek comparing Sudan and Canada.
Please your facts are wrong and i think u just want to be among the many members that start a thread.

May i know who you are reffering to?
Re: Of Mko Abiola And Roman Abramovich by mukina2: 12:11pm On Mar 09, 2007
hmmmm grin grin grin
Re: Of Mko Abiola And Roman Abramovich by ronnieslimz(f): 2:32pm On Mar 09, 2007
hmmnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn grin grin grin grin
Re: Of Mko Abiola And Roman Abramovich by kitaun(m): 2:45pm On Mar 09, 2007
do we know any Natasha around here?
Re: Of Mko Abiola And Roman Abramovich by mukina2: 3:02pm On Mar 09, 2007
nah . cheesy
Re: Of Mko Abiola And Roman Abramovich by mystikal(m): 12:00am On Mar 10, 2007
Abrahamovich to me isnt passionate about soccer, he's just changing his dirty money
thats y no matter what chlsea feel they've achievd, they'll never be referred 2 as great teams like Man Utd, L'pool, and maybe arsenal
Re: Of Mko Abiola And Roman Abramovich by wormedup(m): 8:28am On Mar 21, 2007
mystikal,
keep ranting dust ! it'll do u a lot of good.
Re: Of Mko Abiola And Roman Abramovich by davidif: 2:46pm On Jan 28, 2008
And both of them were thieves, Roman Abramovich duped the Russian people and so did MKO. Read this if you want to find out more about your beloved Roman. (na big ole)
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/writers/world_soccer/07/06/abramovich/index.html
Re: Of Mko Abiola And Roman Abramovich by folahann(m): 2:07am On Jan 30, 2008
All they wanted was to make more money: Another similarity

(1) (2) (Reply)

Pictures Of The Asisat Oshoala Football For Girls Event & All-Star Match / Government Policy Stopped Us From Paying Siasia – NFF Head Of Media / Nantes Fans Pay Tribute To Missing Emiliano Sala In France (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.